A/N: Re-Read chapter 3! I've changed Luna in that chapter to be more Luna-esque in order to appease my audience and avoid a potential hazard of writing a Ministry of Magic inquisition into the use of unforgivables at Hogwarts... well you get the picture! Please re-read the 3rd chapter! Thanks

~*~

Chapter 4: In A Brown Study

Sitting in the common room, Ginny’s mind was racing with possibility. She wasn’t sure if Draco really cared about her or not but now she had a better plan for her revenge. She dipped her quill in fresh ink and began to formulate her plan on parchment.

“I’ll just have to get him alone…” she thought aloud.

Hermione, hearing what Ginny had murmured, leaned over the table they were sharing and tapped her quill on Ginny’s parchment interrupting her thoughts.

“Ginny? Are you alright?” Hermione asked looking decidedly concerned.

Ginny looked up at the older girl startled from her plot.

“Of course I am, Hermione. Why do you ask?” she flashed Hermione her signature grin.

After several years of seeing that grin from Ron, Hermione was not convinced.

“Well,” she leaned even closer and started to whisper. “To tell you the truth, I was hoping to catch up with you. You haven’t really been yourself in a while and I’ve started to worry about you. Especially after...”

Here Hermione looked away from Ginny’s questioning eyes and started to
blush. She took a deep breath. “Well, especially after that display you gave this morning.”

The shock of Hermione’s accusation bowled Ginny over but once she recovered from the shock, she burst out laughing.

Hermione sat back and gave Ginny a quizzical look, raising one eyebrow and crossing her arms over her chest in a protective manner.

Ginny took one look at Hermione and laughed even harder grabbing her sides and squealing with delight.

“Well,” Hermione replied, obviously miffed at the younger girl. “I wouldn’t be laughing if I were in your position!”

Ginny stopped laughing long enough to get a hold of herself and told Hermione the story of what actually happened that morning and what Luna had said, leaving out the effect it had seemingly had on her, and her spying on Malfoy, of course.

Afterwards, Hermione fixed Ginny with a motherly gaze and told her to stay away from private situations with Malfoy when possible.

“You never know what he’ll have up his sleeve next time, and although it’s against my duty as a Prefect to hex or harm another student, I’d be more than willing to bend the rules if he bothers you again.” Hermione finished with a wink at Ginny.

“I’m surprised you’re not more upset, Hermione. I would have thought that you would be more bothered than you seem.”

“Yes, well I’ve noticed that Malfoy has changed since last year. I’m not sure how, but at least he hasn’t insulted any of us yet.” Noticing Ginny glaring in her direction Hermione quickly added, “Except for that kiss this morning, of course…” she blushed.

"I'm not saying he's a saint or anything, just that he's not being a prat any longer." She rolled her eyes.

Ginny smiled at her and said the thing that had been worrying her since that morning.

“How do you think Ron will react?”

Hermione winced and looked over by the fire where Harry and Seamus were playing Wizard’s Chess while Ron looked on.

After the incident in his first year with the full-size chess board Ron had never quite seen the game the same.

“I’m surprised he didn’t approach you as soon as you entered the common room.” She thought for a moment before continuing. “It must be the detention Snape gave him first thing this morning for spilling eye of newt into his calming draught causing his partner, poor Neville, to burp bubbles for the remainder of the class period.” Both girls hid smiles behind their hands.

“I suppose I could handle him for you, what are almost-sisters for if not to diffuse older brothers for their younger siblings?" she sighed again. "I might even be able to swing Harry around to help me.”

Her gaze moved from Ron to Harry and she sighed dramatically.

“Thanks, Hermione.” Ginny replied gathering her notebook and heading for the Fat Lady. “Maybe once you stop drooling over Harry you’ll finally be able to tell him how you feel?”

Hermione turned scarlet as she got up to talk to Ron, taking her time walking over to him trying to give Ginny time to get out of the common room before her brother blew-up and demanded to know what she had been thinking.

Ginny gratefully smiled at Hermione’s back before dodging out of the common room, hearing her brother begin to rant and rave.

~*~

A/N: Disclaimer: I do not own, nor do I claim to own, any of the characters, places, or things in this fanfic other than the plot. So please don't sue because as a poor college student I barely have enough to afford food :-)

Special Thanks go to: phaedra7veil, MrsDanielRadcliffe, Mnu, peachesandcream, Shyla, jandjsalmon, shadieladie and especially Kisou for your reviews of the last chapter and a double special thanks to > Rainpuddle for the corrections she helped me with :-)

Special Challenge!!: If anyone can tell me what in means to be "in a brown study" I will give them special recognition the next time I update!

Please review!
To Be Continued.
flame_kitty is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked A New Day also liked 539 other stories.
Leave a Review