Chapter 3 – Why Can't We Be Friends?

The next day…

Draco reached the Weasleys' front door around 9 o'clock in the morning. He looked at the house and started laughing; it was a funny looking house. It wasn't anything that he'd be caught living in. He was about to knock when he remembered what happened this morning.

~*~Flashback~*~

Draco was putting his cloak on and was about to leave the house when his mother called out, "Draco!"

sighed and turned around, "Yes, Mum, what is it?" he said in a little bit of an annoyed voice.

Narcissa came over to him and looked up at her son, who was slightly taller then she was, "Draco promise me you'll be on your best behavior today."

Draco sighed, "Yes, Mother."

"Look I don't care how much you and this girl hate each other, but I want you being respectful to Mrs. Weasley."

"Mum!"

"I'm serious. I don't want everyone to think that my only son is pure evil. I know you're not and I want other people to know it too. So promise me," she said while she straightened his shirt out.

Draco sighed. If it was one person he did love it was his mother. She knew that he was only mean to keep his father happy and Lucius very seldom ever was, "Yes mother, I'll be nice to Mrs. Weasley."

"Thank you!" She gave him a quick hug and shooed him out the door.

~*~Back to the present~*~

'Have to be nice. Have to be nice,' he kept on saying to himself. He knocked on the door and heard someone call, "It's opened."

Draco opened the door and walked into the house. He did admit to himself, that even though the house was small and they didn't have a lot of money you could tell that they were a very loving family. Draco noticed and saw many pictures of smiles and happy faces from different occasions.

He heard someone walk into the room, "Oh hello there."

"Hello, Mrs. Weasley," he choked out.

"Ah! Yes, Draco Malfoy. How nice it is to see you again," she smiled. "Come. Come into the kitchen," she said using her arm to motion him into the room.

Draco stayed quiet and followed her into the kitchen like he was told. When he entered the small kitchen an aroma of apples and spices hit his nose and without even noticing he said, "Mmmmm… something smells good."

It wasn't until Molly said, "Why thank you," that Draco realized he said something out loud, "Here, take a seat," she said pointing to the table, "I'm making apple pie. I'll let you have a slice when it's finished baking. Do you like apple pie?" she said still smiling.

'Does she ever stop smiling?' Draco wondered to himself, "Um… honestly, I don't know. Can't say that I've ever had any before." Before Molly could say another word he asked, "So, uh where is Virginia?" he asked quietly.

"Oh Ginny? She's still upstairs. I woke her up once, but she probably fell back to sleep."

After a few seconds of uneasy quietness Draco decided to break the silence with a question, "Uh… so why didn't Ginny go with the others to Romania?" Molly turned around and was about to say something when Draco said, "I mean rather than the fact that she has to tutor me."

"Well, I guess she just didn't want to go."

'She guesses?' Draco said to himself, "Well, why not?"

"I don't know. I know that Ron asked her a few times, but he told me that she always said no. Every time that I talk about it with her she never wanted to talk about it." Draco was thinking that there was a lot more to it then just that, but he wasn't going to say anything.
"Why don't you go on up to Ginny's room and make sure she's up?"

Draco went wide-eyed. Did Molly really trust him, a boy, to go up to Ginny's, the only daughter, room by himself? "Uh… where is it?"

"On the third floor the last door on the left," Draco could not move, his feet were not allowing him to get up. "Shoo! Go on with you now!" Draco stood up and went up the stairs, taking them two at a time.

As he neared the third floor he could hear some music coming from one of the rooms. Well, at least he knew definitely which room was hers. He slowed up his walk and casually made his way to her room.

When he got there he heard a song and by listening to it, he knew it had to be something along the lines of, "Why can't we be friends." He also noticed another voice along with it. It was her singing. It wasn't really that good, but at least it wasn't nails on a chalkboard either.

As he reached her door it was opened a crack. He knocked lightly and when she didn't answer he peered in. She was dressed, her hair wet, and she was dancing and jumping on her bed and singing into her wand. This was some sight. He leaned against the doorframe and watched her.

"I pay my money to the welfare line I see ya standing in it every time

Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends
Why can't we be friends"

She sang and jumped off her bed. She landed in front of her mirror and started singing again. "The color of your skin don't matter to me…" and through the reflection in the mirror she saw Draco leaning against her doorframe. Her music still playing, "As long as we can live in harmony"

She turned around and screamed, "Get out Malfoy!" and threw her wand at him. It hit his head. She ran to her door, as he was rubbing his head, pushed him out, and slammed the door.

Draco had a smug smile on his face and made his way back down to the kitchen. As he entered he said, "She's up."

"Good, thanks, deary," she started to cut up the pie and just then Ginny came down the stairs. Molly looked up from what she was doing, "Oh good morning, dear."

Draco smirked and said, "Good morning, Virginia." His smirk turned into a full smile when he saw the surprise look on Ginny's face. Draco finally got a good look at her; she was wearing short shorts and a tank top. Her hair was in a ponytail at the top of her head, still wet, and she wasn't wearing anything on her feet so he noticed them painted a purplish color.

Ginny's eyes widened. She couldn't believe he called her by her first name. She was even more surprised that he even knew her first name. Ginny didn't know how to react so she simply said, "Good morning."

Molly turns to Draco, "Are you ready for the first slice of my pie?"

Draco looked at her and said, "Yes, ma'am, I am," he turned towards Ginny to see that her eyes have widened even further. Molly put the plate down in front of Draco and watched as he took the first bit of her pie. Draco looked up and said, "This is good."

Molly was tickled pink. Someone new liked her pie, "I'm glad you like it."

"Virginia, you going to have a piece?" Draco asked her.

"I don't like apple pie," Ginny simply said as she took a seat next to Draco at the kitchen table.

"Not like apple pie?! What's there not to like!?" he said and stuffed another fork full into his mouth.

Molly decided to answer for her, "My daughter likes the more fatting pies. Like Chocolate Mousse, chocolate pudding pies, and grasshopper pies."

Ginny gave out a low warning, "Mum."

Molly didn't hear her and continued, "And I've told her she's has to watch herself or she won't be getting a boyfriend."

Ginny let out a little louder, "Mum!" Ginny couldn't even look at Draco. She bet he was laughing his ass off. When she dared to look at him, she was surprised, once again, to find out that he wasn't.

Draco actually smiled and said, "I wouldn't worry about Virginia, Mrs. Weasley. She'll get a boyfriend soon. Any boy would be lucky to have her."

Ginny blushed and Molly said, "And you said he was absolutely prime evil."

Before Draco even had a chance to make a comment Ginny got up and said, "Okay! That's enough talk for one day! Draco," she couldn't believe how easy his name came out, "we have to start studying."

Draco stood up grabbed his books and his empty plate, "Nice talking to you, Mrs. Weasley," he put the plate in the sink and added, "it was delicious." Molly just smiled. Draco turned around and followed Ginny out to the back yard.

When they were far enough away from the house Ginny said, "What the HELL is wrong with you?" she asked as she smacked him in head with the palm of her hand.

"Ow," He said while rubbing his head, "I have no idea what you are talking about."

"Delicious pie!" Ginny started to count on her fingers, "Yes ma'am. The whole girlfriend thing. Calling me by my first name. Since when have we’ve been on a first name basis and on that note how the hell do you even know my first name?"

"Language Weasley. Language."

"AGH!" Ginny screamed.

"Calm yourself down before you pop a blood vessel or something." Ginny took a few breaths and listened to Draco as he said, "For starters my mother told me to be on my best behavior and to act as a gentleman." Ginny laughed. Draco, ignoring Ginny continued, "In front of your mother. Secondly the pie was good and so I gave you a compliment. Besides just because no one ever uses your first name does not mean that I don't know it and if you keep on abusing me, I am going to have invest in some protective head gear." Draco sat down at the picnic table letting out a little laugh, while Ginny stood there in shock.

Ginny finally sat down and said, "Okay let's get started."

Ginny was about to say something when Draco said, "You wanted to go didn't you?"

Ginny ignored him and said, "Let's start with Chapter 12."

Draco asked again, "You wanted to go didn't…"

"Does it matter?" Ginny asked quietly even before Draco could finish his question again.

"It should." Draco paused for a second and then laughed a little and said, "What did the 'Dream Team' not want you to go?" Draco meant it as an insult. He said it just so he could say something mean.

Ginny continued to get all her stuff out and said, "Yeah, something like that," she looked up at Draco and saw his expression. She knew he only said it to be mean, but he was right on the button, "It's "Brother" time."

"Granger and Brown went though."

Ginny sighed and said, "The only reason why Hermione is going is to keep Sarah and the baby some company and Lavender went because she's Hermione's best friend."

"But…"

Draco wanted to know more and wanted to know why her brother didn't want her around, but Ginny silenced him with saying, "Drop it. We have work to do." Draco did as he was told and listened closely to Ginny's teachings.

To be continued…
Leave a Review