Something to Believe

Chapter One: Prisoners

---

Ginny Weasley pressed her ear firmly to the door of her room at 12 Grimmauld Place. She could just barely make out the heated voices downstairs.

"There's no way Malfoy can stay here. We've barely just reestablished the wards on this place."

"If he can't stay here, what's he to do, eh?"

"He won't be any trouble, the poor kid came to us for help, for Merlin's sake."

"I don't trust him one bit. He shouldn't be trusted!"

"We've trusted Death Eaters before, and look what's happened there!"

"Leave Snape out of this - that was a different situation entirely - "

"DON'T YOU DARE DEFEND SNAPE!"

"Alright, Harry! But what about Malfoy?"

"What else is he supposed to do?"

"Let me talk to him. And I'll decide what to do."

She wondered if they were talking like this in front of Malfoy or if they had the decency to send him to the parlor first.

---

Ginny sat by the window, staring out over the quiet, warm summer evening outside. It was too muggy for the neighborhood kids to play so the only sound she could hear was the distant chirping of birds. There was a short, gentle knock on her door.

She stood up and opened the door to reveal her father, sagging slightly but smiling wide upon seeing his daughter.

"Gin bug, we're all settled downstairs. Would you like to come down for dinner?"

"Is Draco Malfoy actually here? What's happening? Did you let him stay?"

Her father laughed at her rapid-fire questions, and led her down the stairs to the kitchen, where her mother was working on getting dinner on the table. Quickly Ginny's eyes scanned the room, curious to see if Malfoy were present. He wasn't. Ron and Harry were sitting at the large oak dining table. Hermione and Tonks were helping her mum with dinner and Remus and a few of her brothers were idly talking in a corner.

"So where is he? What happened?" Ginny asked, hoping for a response.

"He's up in his room, Gin," her father answered quietly. The room grew silent and several people turned to look at Harry. Ginny's stomach twisted a little upon seeing him. The break-up was still a tender wound in her heart.

Harry said nothing, and just kept his eyes focused on the table. He was twiddling a small locket in his hands.

"Well supper is ready. I'll just take up this tray to Malfoy's room," Molly said, removing her apron and picking up a tray laden with food.

Sensing an opportunity to see Malfoy, Ginny said, "I'll take it, Mum."

Her mother shrugged off her help, saying, "I'd like to have a word with him."

Ginny watched her mum go, as the others sat down around the table while Hermione and Tonks handed out the plates. Ginny sat beside George and helped herself to potatoes. She looked around, trying to gauge everyone's reaction to the evening's proceedings. Everyone remained quiet, even the twins.

"So Ginny, seems that you will be remaining here for a bit," started Arthur, putting up a hand as she opened her mouth to protest. "This is going to be a complicated year. Most likely Hogwarts won't be opening back up in fall. We're well into August now, and McGonagall just doesn't have it all worked out. Children's safety first." Ginny rolled her eyes upon hearing 'children'.

"Well why do I have to stay here? I can just stay at the Burrow with you and Mum, can't I?"

Her father set down his fork and looked at her sympathetically.

"Gin bug, your Mum and I aren't going to be at the Burrow."

"Well where are you going to be? I'll just come with you!"

Molly entered the room, wiping tears from her eyes. She quietly took her place next to Arthur and started filling her plate.

"Mum! Why can't I come with you?"

Without looking up, her mother said, "We need you here, Ginny."

Again, she opened her mouth to protest, but her father lifted his hand and said, "That's enough, Ginny. You're new responsibility is to mind the headquarters. And you'll be safe here."

Ginny turned and looked at Harry. He had abandoned his plate and was staring at the locket in his hands. She just nodded to her father and turned her attention her plate.

She heard her father whisper to her mum, "How is he?"

She couldn't make out her response as a bit of chatter picked up around the table. She looked up at Harry again, to see him glumly staring back.

---

When Ginny first opened her eyes to the blinding morning sunshine, she distinctly heard birds chirping in the distance. She knew instantly that it was strange the house should be so quiet. She stretched slowly, trying to make out the sounds of her mother in the kitchen, or of someone thumping up the stairs.

Absolute silence.

She rolled out of bed slowly, pulling on her dressing gown and putting on her bed slippers. She stood slowly and stretched again. She knew she wouldn't be properly functioning until she got a cup of tea.

She yawned loudly as she inched down the stairs to the kitchen. She opened the door and opened her mouth to mutter to her mum for a cup of tea -

Instead of her mother, she found Draco Malfoy. He was sitting alone at the empty table. He was dressed in pajamas, wrapped in a luxurious dressing robe. His blond hair was ruffled. His face was in his hands.

He looked up at her with tired eyes.

She stared at him blankly. There he is, she thought, her mind racing for something to say. Her heart raced as she felt several emotions all at once. Hate. Pity. Distrust.

"Want some breakfast?" she asked in a quiet voice, afraid of disrupting the silence which loomed like a spell over the house.

"Yes, please."

---

Ginny stood at the sink, washing up the dishes from breakfast. She heard Malfoy leave the kitchen, and heard his room's door shut. She wondered if she were alone in the house with him. Where was her mother? Where was Hermione?

She turned off the tap and could hear people entering the house, by the sound of it, her mother and Tonks.

She went up to meet them.

"Mum, where have you been?" Ginny asked, cringing at the whine in her voice, "Where is everyone?"

Her mother exchanged glances with Tonks.

"Wotcher, Gin bug," Tonks said, winking at her. "I'll just go set this stuff away, Molly," she gestured to the bag of groceries in her arms.

Molly led Ginny into the study with several bags in her own arms.

"What's all that?" Ginny asked, helping her mum unpack. The bags were full of schoolbooks.

"School's starting?" she asked, very hopefully.

"No, dear, it's decidely not," Molly answered, putting her hand on Ginny's cheek. "We got these in Diagon Alley for you and Draco. It's important you try to keep up with your studies."

"Well where is everyone?"

"Harry, Ron, and Hermione... they left last night. On some sort of mission. Nobody knows where they are. Can't believe they'd just run off..." Molly mumbled, turning back to emptying the bags.

Ginny silently thumbed through a book. Potions. Ugh, thought Ginny, I can never seem to escape stupid Potions.

"You understand you're not to leave here, under any circumstances, Ginny?"

"Yes, Mum, I sort of got that impression," she replied, sullenly.

"And Malfoy - dear, you're not to let him leave either."

"What am I," she had asked, "His bloody warden?"

She wasn't a warden, she was a prisoner, too. Her mum stroked her cheek again and bustled off to help Tonks in the kitchen.

---

It was another quiet morning. She knew it from the moment she heard those distant birds chirping. For a brief second she was jealous of them. They were outside, free and flying.

She found herself at the door of the kitchen once again, opening the door to find Draco Malfoy sitting at the table. His ruffled hair. His thick, silk dressing robe. His face in his hands.

She was surprised again by the wave of emotions that swept over her upon seeing him. The hate was still there, years of teasing and taunting and arguing couldn't be forgotten in an instant. But it wasn't as overwhelming as she'd thought it would be.

"Breakfast?"

"Yes, please."

Author notes: Please, please review! I hope you enjoyed.

Leave a Review