Something To Believe

Chapter Sixteen: The Manor

---

"Why'd you have to go and ask permission like that?"

"What? From your mother?"

"Yeah, I mean what was that all about?"

He shrugged, "I'm sorry. I thought that's how one is polite."

"Yeah, maybe like a hundred years ago! Besides I'm my own person. I do as I please."

Draco laughed at this. "You're underage. Therefore you still answer to your parents."

"That's totally unfair."

They heard the front door open, soon followed by the clatter of the umbrella stand.

"That'll be Tonks. Are you ready?"

"Yeah, just need my coat...Oh! I don't have my broom!" she said, wiping her sweaty palms on her jeans.

"There will be plenty in the broom shed. Shall we?"

Ginny followed him up the stairs to the foyer, adjusting her sweater. She straightened her plait, tucking any stray hairs in place.

They met Tonks, who was righting the umbrella stand, muttering curses under her breath. Her hair was a short magenta bob and her eyes were dark green, mostly likely to match the robes she was wearing.

"Wotcher, Malfoy. Ginny. Before we go, I wanna get a few things straight," Tonks said, wagging her finger at them. "I want you both carrying your wands."

Draco flicked his wrist and his wand was in his fingers. With a wave and a whisper, he summoned Ginny's wand from her room. Ginny took it in her hand, its weight and length almost foreign to her, after a long disuse.

"And if I tell you to run, you'll do so. If I tell you to apparate, you'll come straight back here, understood?"

"I don't know how to apparate."

"Then you stick close to Malfoy, he'll get you here, no problem."

Ginny nodded.

"And finally, worst case scenario - I have a small box of Bertie Bott's beans in my robes pocket - "

"In case we're hungry?" drawled Draco, with a smirk, swirling his cloak around his shoulders.

"No, you prat, it's a Portkey. Just activate it by saying activo. Ginny will remember it from that day in Knockturn Alley. You, of course, were unconscious," she said to Draco. He had the good grace to look a bit embarrassed. Tonks smiled and opened the front door.

"But we wanted to ride brooms out over the fields," Ginny said, following Tonks outside. It was very cold, the air biting at her cheeks.

"Grab a coat or something, Weasley," Draco said, pulling a thick jacket from the wall mounted hooks by the door.

"That one's not mine," Ginny said, as he thrust it into her hands.

"It's mine, and it's very expensive and very warm. Now put it on and hush," he said, pushing her along the pathway to catch up with Tonks. She shrugged it on and inhaled the cold air, mixed mildly with the scent of Draco's cologne. Though it was too large for her, he was right - it was very warm.

---

The three of them stood outside the tall fence, reorienting themselves and taking in their surroundings. Tonks looked all around and even pulled out a strange contraption of bronze and glass. It spun quietly in her hand a few moments, and this was apparently satisfactory, because she indicated for Draco to open the gates.

He used his wand to tap the large Malfoy emblem on the lock. The two metal gates swung inside, admitting them. Their feet made loud, echoing crunching sounds as they walked up the gravel pathway. Tonks had the instrument balanced on her palm while her eyes flitted all around them. Draco was stony-faced and hugging his cloak tightly around him.

Ginny's eyes looked up at the huge edifice that stood before them, across the rolling greens. It was a large, white and gray building with many large windows. It loomed silently at the end of the path.

The grounds were vast, with hedges and vines, most were looking recently overgrown. There weren't many flowers, only white jasmine along the front of the house.

They followed the path directly up to the front of the Manor, Draco in the lead, Ginny right behind him and Tonks bringing up the rear, mindful of their surroundings.

"Soon after I got news of the breakout, I got a few blokes up here to set up new wards," Tonks told Draco, while tapping the instrument in her hand with her wand. "You're the only Malfoy keyed to the estate now... and only you can bring people in."

Draco just nodded. He kept his eyes focused on his boots.

"Wow," Ginny murmured, following Draco up the steps to the wide porch. They stopped in front of the massive white door. There was a large pewter knocker shaped like a snake. Draco took out his wand again and tapped it.

The door swung open, granting them into the marble tiled foyer.

"Oh, Merlin, it's freezing in here," whined Tonks.

"It'll heat up with a little time. Besides it's nothing a couple of charms can't take care of," said Draco, removing his cloak and setting it on a mahogany banister. He waved his wand, warming himself, and did the same for Ginny as she removed the coat she'd borrowed.

"This place..." she said, tilting her head back to admire the carved wooden ceiling. Draco led them down an unlit hallway.

"It's pathetic, isn't it? This was all twelve generations of wizards could afford? Rubbish, I say," Tonks giggled, after lighting her wand.

A few portraits hanging in gilded frames on the wall seemed to awaken. They were all glaring at Tonks with superior expressions. She ignored them, smiling cheekily.

Ginny recognized the room that Draco entered as the library. It was dark and dusty, but it was still the same room that she'd seen in Draco's Daydream. Ginny noticed that more than half the books were missing, leaving the shelves looking very bare.

"Where'd all the books go?"

"I sold them to pay off some of my father's debts. They were all full of Dark magic, anyway," he said, walking over to the cluttered desk. There was a tray full of letters surrounded by piles of boxes and an assortment of trinkets and books.

Ginny approached, looking at a beautiful crystal ball. She reached forward to touch it and Tonks grabbed her wrist.

"No touching!"

"Yes, won't you two lovely ladies please start up a fire and have a seat over there," he gestured to the fireplace and two overstuffed armchairs in front it. "Way over there."

He started looking through a book, scanning a parchment and looking over the items on the desk, taking a quick inventory.

"I just wanted to look...I was just..." Ginny pouted as Tonks guided her to the cold fireplace. Tonks started a large, roaring fire with a spell.

"No touching," said Tonks, yawning. She cast another spell over the flames, making the flames shimmer with purple sparks.

"What was that for?"

"To limit floo access."

"Oh. Tonks, don't you think it's important that I learn to apparate?"

"Well, yes," she answered, warily. "Eventually."

"I mean, I know I'm underage and all, but shouldn't I learn for emergencies?"

"I suppose. I can ask your mother what she thinks. Maybe he can teach you."

"Who?"

"Draco."

"Oh. Why do you have to ask my mother? I'm a big girl!"

Tonks grinned at her. She leaned back in the armchair, trying to get comfortable.

"We know, Ginny, we know," she mumbled, heaving a deep sigh and closing her eyes.

Ginny turned to stare into the flames of the fire.

Draco strode over to them, an embarrassed look on his face, holding a small stack of books that were strapped together with a leather band.

"Here, Weasley."

"What're these?" she asked, accepting the books. She could make out the title of the one on top: Basic Healing Spells.

"For you to get started on," Draco said, turning back to the desk. "We'll order you some more advanced material when you're ready."

Ginny sat speechless a moment, staring at him. He was absently shuffling around books and parchments, his cheeks blushing, and he refused to meet her eyes.

Ginny swallowed and looked down at the books. She untied the band and flipped through the pages.

"Those are the training books they use over at St. Mungo's, I think," Tonks said, watching Ginny, calculatingly.

Tonks stood and went to help Draco sort the mail and open packages.

Ginny bent to set the pile on the floor beside her. She took Basic Healing Spells into her lap, and flipped it open. She kicked off her shoes, tucked her legs under her, settling in comfortably, and delved into the book.

---

They spent most of the afternoon in the library, with Ginny by the fire, absorbed in her reading and Draco at his desk, writing letters and packing parcels for mail. Tonks had gone to check the rest of the estate, and strengthen the wards.

As the light entering the library started to redden, Ginny shut her book reluctantly and stood. She stretched, standing all the way on her tiptoes, pushing her hands up toward the ceiling. She turned to Draco and caught him staring at her.

She smiled and walked over to him, her bare feet feeling cold on the hardwood floor.

"Let's go flying!" she said, "It'll be too dark soon."

Draco lowered his eyes to his desk. "I can't. I have to finish up these letters and finish my accounting. I don't know when I'll be back here again, this stuff needs to be sorted out..."

Ginny frowned and sighed.

"Tell you what, why don't you head out back to the field? There's a broom shed near the back door. I'll send Tonks out to watch you when she's back from her rounds."

"Ok," Ginny said, feeling a bit sorry to be leaving Draco behind, but still excited at the prospect of being on a broom.

He gave her directions to the back door, which she found at the end of a corridor near the kitchen. She stepped out into the chilly late afternoon. She looked over to her right and found the broom shed.

Ginny opened the wooden door and peered inside. She found Draco's old Nimbus 2001 and smirked. She snatched it off it's holder and turned to the path leading out to an open field. There were three hoops at one end of the field, far lower than Quidditch regulation, but sufficient for practice.

Ginny held the broom out beside her, reveling in the feel of the smooth wood under her fingers. She grinned as she mounted up and launched herself into the air. The cold air blew through her hair and made her eyes water as she did several laps around the field. She flew up high above the trees and took in the entire estate. It was a sprawling property, which was very lush and green but also sterile and cold.

She looked off at the horizon, the sun was slowly making it's descent, casting a red-orange glow on the world. She hovered there, high above the field, above the roof of the manor, her wrist draped over the broom, her other elbow resting on her wrist. She inhaled the cold air deeply, allowing it to sting her lungs.

She looked down near her wrist, to see Draco's name carved carefully into the handle. She couldn't help the warm feeling flow through her as she thought about him. He was the very boy who tortured her friends and family in school, and yet... he was the young man who managed to find himself a place in her heart. And that, too, without even trying.

Ginny sighed, sitting up on her broom, looking out again toward the horizon. In the far distance, she could make out the silver glimmer of water. Thinking about the things Charlie had said, her chest tightened. Draco cares about me...

She turned her broom around and flew several more laps, letting the breeze cool her flushed cheeks.

---

Ginny opened her eyes lazily. She was lying on the grass in the open field. It was well past dark and she was freezing. She stood up and stretched, looking around herself, brushing off her clothes. Apparently, Tonks had not come to find her. Ginny worriedly grabbed Draco's broom and ran to the broom closet to put it back.

She raced through the house, back to the library, only to find it empty. Ginny saw that the desk was completely cleared. She pulled the wand from her pocket and turned back to the doorway. She adjusted the neck of her sweater and looked both ways before starting for the foyer.

Her old trainers squeaked with each step on the polished wood floors. It was dark and she couldn't make out the walls, but she was fairly certain that several of the portraits were whispering to each other.

She reached the foyer and from the large windows surrounding the front door, moonlight was streaming in. She stood there, looking out a window for several moments, watching the stars spraying upwards from the trees bordering the fence of the estate.

In the silence, she could make out distant voices. They were coming from upstairs.

She gripped her wand and made her way slowly up the grand staircase. She reached a large round landing, a hallway to her left, a hallway to her right. She stopped to listen for the voices again. She got distracted by the painting in front of her.

On the wall at the top of the stairs was a lifesize portrait of the Malfoys. Lucius, Narcissa, and Draco. They looked very regal and sublime. Lucius Malfoy was scowling down at her. Narcissa was stony-faced with an arched eyebrow, taking in Ginny's appearance. Draco was sitting in a chair between them, looking, for all the world, bored out of his skull. He pointed to the hallway on her left.

Ginny found that, indeed, the voices were coming from the left. She shot the Draco in the painting a grin and set off in that direction.

She moved slowly, stealthily, making sure her shoes didn't make a single sound on the plush carpet. She held her wand in front of her and started down the darkened hallway. She could make out some words of the conversation. It sounded like they were coming from the room at the end of the hallway, the door on the right.

"...Oh bugger...better healer..."

"...fine, just leave it..."

"Maybe...call Molly..."

"No!"

"Fine...burned badly..."

"...I'll make an ointment..."

By this time, Ginny was standing outside the door, listening to Draco and Tonks.

"Alright, fine. Let me get you back to Headquarters, so you can make that ointment and get some rest. Let me go find Ginny. Merlin, she's been out there for - "

"No need, she's right outside the door."

Ginny pushed open the door and eyed the elaborate bedroom. It was decorated in green and gold, with heavy drapes and dark-wooded furniture. There was a leather lounge near the window and a desk in another corner. Tonks gasped and spun to face her with her wand.

"Honestly, how do you always know when I'm eavesdropping? I mean I didn't even make a sound," Ginny said, her hands on her hips. Draco just smirked and shrugged. Then he immediately winced. She saw that his tattered shirt was hanging around him, unbuttoned, his exposed chest looking lobster red. He self-consciously pulled his shirt closed, even though this seemed to cause him further pain.

"What happened?" Ginny looked from Draco to Tonks. Both stayed silent. She took a step towards Draco. "Well, let me see - " Her foot caught on a rug and she stumbled.

"Weasley, we've already determined you're a worthless Healer, so don't bother," Draco snapped. Ginny blushed. His tone softened a little as he continued, "Let's just go home, I can take care of this myself."

Tonks ushered Ginny from the room as he fumbled with the buttons on his shirt.

"Did...did he just call 12 Grimmauld Place 'home'?" Ginny whispered to Tonks as they walked down the hall.

---

Ginny walked up the stairs, balancing a tray in her arms. She kicked at Draco's door and it swung open. She found him standing in front of his mirror, his shirt hanging off his shoulders, a small tub of gel in his hand. He was dabbing delicately at the inflamed skin on his stomach.

"I brought you dinner."

"Should I pray that you don't spill it all over me? What's with you tripping over your own feet, lately?"

"I have not!"

"Whatever. Thank you for supper. Now, I need some privacy." His finger dragged across a particularly tender part of the burn and the tub slipped from his hand.

"I'll do it," she said, stepping forward to pick up the tub, and turning him, so that he leaned against the dresser. "What happened?"

She scooped a liberal amount onto two fingers, noting the icy sting of the gel. She started applying it slowly and carefully on his burn.

"Just a stupid parcel... it was a trap, and I was just too tired to notice until it was too late."

"Who on earth would send you -"

"Anyone! Death Eaters... Ministry officials...Potter?"

"Promise to be more careful next time."

"I..." He stiffened when her fingers rubbed firmly across his lower stomach. She took a deep breath and blew over it. She looked up to see his eyes flutter closed.

She repeated the motion, another scoop of gel, a little higher on his abdomen, another cool breath. She swore she saw him shiver.

"One time, my mum scalded herself pretty badly with a kettle of hot water," she whispered, scooping out more gel. She applied it firmly to his chest, following the splash of red skin. Her fingers brushed over the dull pink scar he'd shown her ages ago. "And...this was how my dad healed her fingers. He...dabbed on the ointment and he blew a cold breath on it..."

Ginny took another scoop and as she applied it to his chest, she noticed his head fell back. She let her breath dance over the icy ointment. He shivered again. She watched his adam's apple bob as he swallowed.

Experimentally, she let her cool breath play over his breastbone. She followed the curve of his collarbone. She tried a hot breath over the crook where his shoulder meet his neck and he reacted with a groan, his hands clenched on the dresser that was holding him up. She nuzzled her nose against the soft skin of his neck, inhaling his spicy cologne. When she reached his jaw, she brushed her lips across his skin, flicking out her tongue, tentatively tasting.

He grabbed her shoulders and pulled her away, sending her a searing look directly into her eyes. He exhaled, shakily.

"What do you think you're doing?"

Ginny blinked, and dumbly stared down at the tub of gel in her hand. Before she could speak, he snorted and shoved her aside, starting to button up his shirt.

"I...I don't know what came over m-me," she admitted, starting to shiver a little herself.

"There you go again," he muttered, angrily, fumbling with the top button on his shirt. He seemed to realize he'd buttoned the shirt all wrong and furiously began to unbutton.

"There I go what?" she asked, narrowing her eyes and tossing the tub on the dresser. She watched him struggle with the last button on his shirt and she slapped his hands away, taking up the task herself. As she buttoned, she noticed her hands were trembling. He froze again, at her proximity.

"Seducing me, or whatever it is you're doing."

"Ok, I'll admit that was a little out of line," she sighed, "But I'm honestly not doing anything - "

"Right! Then what exactly was your nose just doing on my neck?" He jerked away from her fingers and finished buttoning himself, taking a few steps away from her.

Her mind raced trying to think of something to say. Her mouth opened and closed several times.

"I was..." Her voice dropped to a whisper and she looked down at her fidgeting fingers. "Just smelling your cologne."

"Weasley!" He looked scandalized.

"Well, I'm sorry. It's rather nice. Besides, you can't deny we have something...some energy between - "

"We do not!"

"Right, so if I were to kiss you right now, you'd feel nothing."

He straightened, and backed away another step, sitting on the end of his bed, watching her guardedly.

"Well? Should I kiss you?" She found herself wishing she'd just shut up and leave. She somehow stayed rooted to the spot and watched as Draco blushed a bold pink.

"Stop this. We've already discussed - "

"Oh! We've discussed it. Yes. Well, it's not just some business transaction, Draco. These are feelings. Emotions! Things you can't just suppress or disguise! I mean, there's really no point, is there?"

He rolled his eyes and turned his face away.

"What I'm trying to say..." she whispered, inching closer to the bed, to stand before him.

"Yes?" He turned to glare at her.

"Is..."

He arched an eyebrow.

"I want to kiss you," she said, licking her lips and leaning forward.

Draco grabbed her shoulders again and held her back. He was looking in her eyes, discerningly.

"Weasley, stop. Don't ruin what we have."

"And what's that, Malfoy?" she said, spitting out his name. She shrugged away from his hands hurriedly. He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. He stayed silent for a few moments, and they just watched each other.

"I'll need your help early tomorrow. We're going to start brewing. Get to bed."

And with that, she was dismissed. She spun on the spot, letting her long hair flip over her shoulder as she left the room. She was inwardly glad that she hadn't kissed him, but was also fuming that she'd been refused.

Author notes: As a request, to do something a little different, I wanted to ask reviewers to please include their favorite part of the chapter, story, etc. Maybe a funny line, a particularly potent segment? Anything, I'd love to see what parts people are liking.

PLEASE REVIEW!

Leave a Review