Something to Believe

Chapter Five: Back and Forth

---

"Oh bugger. Can't reach it." Ginny stretched on tiptoe, trying to reach a box of cereal on the top shelf.

"I'll get it." Malfoy stood up from the kitchen table. He walked behind her, leaned over her short frame and easily grabbed the box.

"Thanks." She reached out to take the box from him, but he held it above her head, just out of reach.

"Oh, very funny, Malfoy. Now give me the box." He grinned, that odd lopsided smile that made him look so innocent. Ginny's breath hitched in her throat a moment.

"Calling me Malfoy still?"

"Yeah. What of it?" She reached out and tried to grab the box while he wasn't paying attention. He grinned broadly as he held the box up higher.

"You want this box, Weasley?" He put a harsh emphasis on her last name.

"Oh come on, Malfoy. I'm trying to make your breakfast." He took a step back toward the table. He filled his bowl and closed up the box. He stepped back towards Ginny. She outstretched her hand, waiting for him to hand her the box. He didn't. He was starting to put it back up on the shelf.

"Hey! I want some, too!" She tried to snatch the box. He laughed as he pulled the box back away from her. She grabbed his arm, barely suppressing her own grin. Finally a thought occurred to her. She dug her fingers under his dressing robe and tickled his stomach.

"Whoa - hey - " He reflexively bent over, trying to shield himself from her fingers. As she grabbed again for the box, he straightened and managed to put the box back on the shelf.

"Not fair," Ginny complained, as she redoubled her tickling efforts. He laughed musically, throwing his head back.

Eyeing his bowl of cereal, she suddenly dove for the table. She took his seat and poured milk over the cereal, and quickly dug in with a spoon.

"Ha!" she said, with her mouth full of cereal.

He stood by the cupboard, a huge open grin on his face. He reached up once more, and brought the box of cereal to the table. He silently sat in her usual seat, and poured himself a bowl.

---

Ginny tucked her hair behind her ears. She glanced up from her textbook to see Malfoy was looking at her. She raised an eyebrow.

"You really have six brothers?"

"Yeah."

"Oh."

She went back to her book.

"Six?"

She looked up with a smile. He was closing his book and setting it aside.

"Yeah. Six. There's Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred and George, and Ron."

"Wow." He seemed to think about that a moment. "Which one got hurt the night Dumbledore died?"

She was stunned to hear him ask such a thing. Her face flushed with heat. All this time she'd suppressed that hateful emotion she felt around him. His words seemed to unlock that hate and now she couldn't help herself from growing angry.

"Bill," she answered through gritted teeth. Oddly, this conversation would put things into perspective for her.

"That's right. He married that French Veela, didn't he?"

"Yes. Her name is Fleur," she answered steelily. He ignored her harsh tone and gritted teeth. He seemed to draw some sick pleasure in bringing up these painful points.

"And which one is the one who left your family to side with the stupid git of a Minister?"

"Percy."

"Yeah. He's a ponce," he said, matter-of-factly, as she clenched her fist. "I met him once. Invited to the Manor for dinner with the Minister. He was a total lapdog. Where's he now?"

"I don't know," she said, she stood up and went to the window. She watched the trees outside sway in the wind. "I don't particularly care."

"Fred and George are the twins, right? They've got that joke shop?"

Ginny was reminded of the Peruvian powder that Malfoy had used. It was purchased from the twins. She remained silent, her back to him. She watched dark clouds glide across the sky.

"I accidentally poisoned Ron Weasley - "

"Shut up, Malfoy! God, what's wrong with you? I finally brought myself to believe what everyone was saying about you!"

He stood up, backlit from the fire, his face dancing with shadows.

"And what have they been saying, eh, Weasley?"

"Mum said you're a 'good boy'. That you're harmless. You can fool her, but I won't let you fool me, Malfoy!"

Ginny stormed out of the study. She raced up the stairs to her room. She slammed the door and threw herself on her bed. She counted the seconds until her breathing slowed to normal.

---

It was raining again. Ginny hardly registered this as she lay in her bed. She was unbelievably angry with herself. How easily had she trusted Malfoy? How easily did she accept the fact that he was - he was what? Good? Not evil...

She had given him a chance. Did he deserve one? Merlin, she had called his Dark Mark a mistake. When had he ever acted like he didn't want one?

She rolled over and punched her pillow.

How was she supposed to go on living here with him? She was told that he could be trusted. He was harmless. But how could she forgive him for all the things he had done in the past? Oh, Merlin, she had so many questions for him and at the same time she never wanted to see his pale, pointed face again.

There was a soft knock at her door.

"Weasley?"

She didn't answer.

"Weasley?" He knocked again. "Ginevra?"

She sat up in her bed.

"Listen," he called through the closed door, "I'm sorry. I just..." His voice trailed off. After a moment, she heard him walk away and down to his room.

---

The next morning, Ginny stayed in bed as long as she possibly could. She wanted to avoid Malfoy as long as possible. Her stomach gave a great growl.

She sighed. It couldn't be helped. She put on her bed slippers and swung her dressing gown around her shoulders as she padded slowly down the stairs. She stood up tall, head held high, as she pushed open the kitchen door.

Sitting at the table, looking like a lost little boy, was Draco Malfoy. Wearing the same silk dressing robe. His hair was ruffled. He was straddling the bench seat, facing the door, and he seemed to be watching it - waiting. The look on his face was blank. Ginny realized he waiting for her to offer to make him breakfast. Well she was tired of acting like his house elf.

She started to make some tea and toast. He stood up and stepped over to her side.

"Weas – Er, Ginny...," he whispered. She turned to glare at him while she buttered the bread, refusing to say anything.

"I just wanted to apologize for yesterday," he continued in a quiet, deep voice.

"Well, it's a little late for that, Malfoy," she tossed the butterknife in the sink. She flipped the slices on bread that were warming in a pan. "Why should I... Why would I ever... I just...Aaah," she groaned, realizing she burned her wrist on the side of the pan.

Malfoy winced and, looking slightly more concerned that she'd have expected of him, he conjured up a small piece of ice. He placed it in her hand. Reluctantly, she took it and put it on the small red spot welting on her arm. They stood there a moment, each avoiding the other's eyes.

The kettle whistled.

"Oh, for Merlin's sake," Ginny dropped her ice cube. "Just go sit down."

He went and sat at the table, while she finished arranging the tea.

She set a cup before him, along with a few slices of toast. She put her own tea and toast on a tray and started to take it up to her room. She shot a glance at Malfoy to see him looking very disappointed and helpless.

She ignored the odd feeling washing over her and swept up the stairs with her tray.

---

Oh, Merlin - that guilty feeling wouldn't leave her alone. She was soaking in the bath. She kept seeing Draco Malfoy's pale face - his furrowed brow and frown. She hadn't even given him a chance to explain himself.

She got out of the bath and quickly dressed. She'd see if she could find him and offer him a decent lunch. She knocked on his door and called his name. No answer. When she peeked inside, she saw his room was empty, his bed unmade. She frowned and her mother's traits kicked in as she rushed into the room and straightened up.

She walked down the stairs to the study - maybe he was reading. The room was deserted, the fireplace cold. She tried the parlor, also empty.

She pushed open the kitchen door to find Draco sitting just where she'd left him. His teacup was empty, but the toast was still sitting there, cold and soggy. He looked up at her, looking like a pathetic puppy. She almost grinned, struggling to keep a smirk off her face.

"You hungry?"

He nodded, not meeting her eyes.

"Want some lunch?"

His eyes met hers. He nodded.

"Fine. I'll make you lunch - if you promise to answer some questions."

He smirked and shook his head.

"You'll get your answers," he said as he stood up. "But not today, Weasley."

He left Ginny standing puzzled in the kitchen.
Leave a Review