Something to Believe

Chapter Six: Hot Water

---

Ginny pressed her ear harder to the door, wishing she had one of Fred and George's Extendable Ears.

"Now, dear, I've left some fresh wash for you in your room. I also changed your sheets."

"Thank you, ma'am." Ginny rolled her eyes at that. She could just picture her mum blushing over being addressed like that. There was a clatter of pans in the sink, and the sound of silverware, as Draco must have started eating.

"Has she been treating you alright?" Her mother's voice was quiet, and Ginny was shocked to find that she sounded genuinely concerned. She pressed a hand to the door, listening for the answer.

"Well..."

"Yes, dear? Anything wrong?"

"Mrs. Weasley, I don't know how to cook. I've never been in a kitchen my entire life. And if my meals aren't prepared for me..." His voice trailed off. Her mother gasped, in understanding.

"I'll set her straight on that. She'll be in charge of meals." Ginny could just picture his smug smirk on hearing that. "And I'll tell her that you'll be in charge of washing up afterwards." There was a sharp clatter of silverware, and Ginny quickly stifled her giggle.

"Yes, ma'am."

"I know this is hard for you, dear. Have you been in touch with your mother?"

"McGonagall doesn't think it'd be wise. They're keeping a close watch on the Manor. Her sister, Andromeda, has offered to take her to a safe place in France."

"Oh, that's Tonk's mother? I see. Well, McGonagall may be around to bring you those books and papers you asked for. She also wants to ask you some more questions."

"That's all anyone wants from me. Answers."

"Hmm, I better wake Ginny. She's usually up by now..."

Ginny took that as her cue to enter the kitchen, with a broad, clueless smile.

---

Her mother left mid-morning, heading off into the cloudy day. Ginny sat by the parlor window watching the little activity on the street below. It was so lonely here.

"Hey, Weasley, where do you lot keep the Potions ingredients? The kitchen?" She turned to see Malfoy standing in the doorway.

"What for?"

"I need them. Can you tell me where they are? Or do I have to owl your mother?"

She scowled, but stood and gestured for him to follow. She took him up to the attic and pointed out the old cabinet filled with ingredients.

"What's this for, anyway, Malfoy?"

"I can't tell you."

"Don't trust me, either?"

He stared at her a moment, hesitation in his eyes. He turned to the cabinet and started to inspect the stock.

"I just can't tell you yet."

She stayed and watched as he gathered several bottles and then he hurried off to the study without another word.

---

That afternoon, Minerva McGonagall did arrive, with a satchel full of books and newspapers. Ginny looked at them curiously, eager for something to read. But McGonagall made it clear that these were not for her.

"I need to give these to Mr. Malfoy, he's particularly requested these supplies. Where is that boy?" Her gaze shifted from the stairway leading to the kitchen to the stairway leading to the rooms upstairs.

"Malfoy! Malfoy, get down here!" Ginny boomed - her voice echoing around the foyer. McGonagall put her free hand over one ear and muttered something about waking the dead.

Soon enough Draco Malfoy came slowly and gracefully down the stairs. He ignored Ginny completely, as he approached McGonagall with an extended hand. Ginny was stunned to see that McGonagall took it warmly and pulled him in for a small hug. She then offered him the satchel, silently, watching as he sifted through the books inside. He nodded and started to look uncomfortable.

"Miss Weasley, would you be so kind as to prepare some tea and snacks for us? We'll be in the parlor." McGonagall left the foyer, with Malfoy close behind, clutching the satchel.

---

"A ruddy house-elf. That's all I am. Worthless bloody house-elf. Ouch, dammit!" Ginny tenderly blew on her fingers. The water was scalding hot and it had sloshed onto her hand when she angrily slammed the teapot onto a tray. After running her red fingers under the cool tap for a few seconds, she added a plate of biscuits and another with sliced cheese and crackers. She picked it up and quietly made her way to the parlor.

She hoped she could stand outside a few moments and try to catch their conversation, but no luck - they'd cast a soundproofing spell. She balanced the tray on one arm and knocked on the door. It immediately opened and she entered, finding Draco standing in front of the window, staring out at the gray sky. McGonagall was seated on a sofa facing his back. Neither made a move to help her.

Ginny placed the tray on a small table and started to serve the tea. Bloody house-elf! She poured the tea and asked for their preferences on sugar and cream.

"Now, Miss Weasley, I understand there was an incident the other night?" asked McGonagall as she took a cup and saucer from Ginny.

"I don't understand - what incident?" Ginny asked, now fixing a cup for Draco.

"Mr. Malfoy mentioned you awoke screaming the other night? And that you couldn't be woken?"

Ginny spilled hot tea on her fingers again, not bothering to hold back a string of swear words. She took a moment to compose herself. Draco stepped over from the window and finished arranging his cup of tea. She searched his face, but he didn't meet her eyes.

"It was nothing. I'm fine now."

"Yes, but - Miss Weasley... Ginny, come here a moment," said McGonagall, patting the seat next to her. Ginny obeyed.

"Will you please tell me what happened?" McGonagall looked at her, earnestly. Ginny drew a breath and collected her thoughts. Of all things to be worried about...

"I was lying in bed - I was awake, actually," Ginny said, sneaking a glance at Draco. He seemed surprised to hear that. "I just suddenly felt a sharp, piercing pain in my chest. I couldn't move for a few moments. I remember screaming and then I fainted. That's all. I was fine when I woke up a few minutes later."

McGonagall took small sips of tea while she considered this. She exchanged a look with Draco - both of them looking grim.

"Has this ever happened before?"

Ginny shook her head, well aware that she was lying.

"Very well, you may go. Mr. Malfoy and I have further matters to discuss."

---

Ginny banged the pan on the stove as loud as she could. She was preparing dinner and wondering where Malfoy was. He'd disappeared to his room as soon as he'd seen McGonagall off.

As she was dicing up vegetables for the stew, she heard the kitchen door open and Draco enter.

"Why'd you tell McGonagall?" She wheeled around, clenching the stirring spoon like a wand.

Instead of replying, he sat at the table and started flipping through a thick leather-bound book.

"I asked you a question," she said, turning back to the stove. "What are you reading?"

Over the bubbling of her stew, she heard the soft rustle of pages turning. She shook her head and let out a frustrated sigh.

"I know about you, Ginevra." The forced edge to his voice made her freeze mid-stir. He continued, "I know about the Chamber of Secrets, the diary. Tom Riddle."

At this, she spun around, her face twisted in fury. But she was surprised to see that he wasn't taunting her. He was looking up at her, not quite concerned, but curious.

"What? Who - " she shrieked. He interrupted smoothly.

"My father. And bits from Snape. And I've overheard your brother and Granger talking about you."

"Whatever you think you know - " Her heart was racing. Her breathes were catching in her throat. Her vision was blurring.

"Come sit down, Weasley," he commanded, turning off the stove with a flick of his wand. She stumbled to the table and sat heavily. She looked at him, resignedly, aware that her vision was slowly clearing. She focused her gaze on the glittering reflections in Malfoy's hair. He cleared his throat and set down his book.

"I think that your incident a few nights back is somehow related to the Dark Lord. From what I know, a part of him was transferred into you when..." he cleared his throat again, and continued, "You see, Potter is off on his damn secret mission, doing something that's affecting the Dark Lord. Whatever Potter's doing, well, it might be affecting you, too."
Leave a Review