Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to J. K. Rowling.

Summary: Draco mourns the loss Ginny.

Author's notes: I am very happy with the way this chapter turned out. I only hope that you like it as well! "Goodbye My Lover" is by James Blunt.
******

Did I disappoint you or let you down?
Should I be feeling guilty or let the judges frown?
'Cause I saw the end before we'd begun,
Yes I saw you were blinded and I knew I had won.
So I took what's mine by eternal right.
Took your soul out into the night.
It may be over but it won't stop there,
I am here for you if you'd only care.

Draco Malfoy stood at the front of a large church, next to Ginny Weasley’s casket. He stared down at his feet and he could feel everyone’s gaze on him. He wouldn’t look up and allow them to see his agony, he was stronger than that. He wanted to hold it all in and pretend it never happened. But it was a hard thing to do when his love, his life, lay closed in a tiny prison never to breathe again. He hadn’t wept since the night it happened. He had awoken after Harry’s spell back-fired to find Ginny lying next to him—dead. Nothing had ever hurt him as much as that. He had cradled her in his arms and begged for her to come back to him. He’d hoped and prayed for a spell to bring her back. But, no matter how hard he hoped and prayed, she would never come back to him.

“Ginny was a great friend,” Draco heard Hermione Granger saying from behind him. Everyone had been giving speeches about Ginny. Speeches about how she’d been a ‘great friend’ or a ‘good person’. It sickened Draco to hear these things. She had been so much more than just a ‘great friend’ or a ‘good person’. She had been everything. She’d meant everything to Draco and thinking about her in the past tense was beginning to tear his heart open and he could feel tears stinging at his eyes. But he had to hold them in. He wasn’t going to show weakness.

You touched my heart you touched my soul.
You changed my life and all my goals.
And love is blind and that I knew when,
My heart was blinded by you.
I've kissed your lips and held your head.
Shared your dreams and shared your bed.
I know you well, I know your smell.
I've been addicted to you.


Draco clenched his fists as the tears streamed down his face. Somewhere in the distance he heard organ music—the signal to lift the casket and carry it to the graveyard. Draco lifted the casket along with Ron, George, Fred, Bill, and Harry. He nearly lost his grip as his tears began to flow faster. As he walked down the aisle he realized that this wasn’t how it was supposed to be. Ginny should have been standing next to him in a beautiful white gown. They should have been married and in love. Instead Draco carried her lifeless body down the aisle and passed by sobbing friends and relatives of Ginny’s. He’d never witnessed anything so heart-breaking.

Draco and the rest of the ushers slowly made their way to the grave site and sat the casket down, above a hole in the ground. Draco stared at the hole. It seemed to be a bottomless pit, where Ginny would be lost for all of eternity. Draco then broke into a fit of sobs and had to seat himself so that he wouldn’t fall over. He didn’t know how long the funeral lasted. He didn’t even realize when everyone had gone and he was there, alone. Draco looked at Ginny’s casket, the cold winter wind biting his face, and he took a deep breath.

Draco slowly stood up and kneeled next to the casket. He ran his hands along the rich cherry wood of it and closed his eyes. He wanted nothing more than for Ginny to pop out of it and yell ‘surprise’. But it would never happen. He had been there for her death. He’d held her limp body in his arms. He cried over her. Nothing would ever bring her back.

Goodbye my lover.
Goodbye my friend.
You have been the one.
You have been the one for me.
I am a dreamer but when I wake,
You can't break my spirit - it's my dreams you take.
And as you move on, remember me,
Remember us and all we used to be
I've seen you cry, I've seen you smile.
I've watched you sleeping for a while.
I'd be the father of your child.
I'd spend a lifetime with you.
I know your fears and you know mine.
We've had our doubts but now we're fine,
And I love you, I swear that's true.
I cannot live without you.


Draco grabbed a white lily from the pocket of his suede coat. The flower had always been one of Ginny’s favorites. Draco had once picked a dozen of them growing wild behind his manor for her birthday. Draco’s sobs increased—there would be no more birthdays. There would be no more kisses, no more hugs, no more cuddling by the fire, no more whispers of sweet nothings, no more hope for a future—nothing. He was alone and desolate now. And he would remain that way until the day he died and was able to see Ginny’s lovely face smiling at him once more. Just then Draco felt a light breeze by his ear and he could have sworn he’d heard Ginny’s voice. She’d said “Goodbye my love”.

Draco slowly rose to his feet. With one last look at Ginny’s casket Draco said, “Goodbye…my love,” And he turned around and began a long walk back to the church.

Goodbye my lover.
Goodbye my friend.
You have been the one.
You have been the one for me.
And I still hold your hand in mine.
In mine when I'm asleep.
And I will bear my soul in time,
When I'm kneeling at your feet.
Goodbye my lover.
Goodbye my friend.
You have been the one.
You have been the one for me.
I'm so hollow, baby, I'm so hollow.
I'm so, I'm so, I'm so hollow.
Leave a Review