Chapter 10- It’s All in the Details

The clock chimed twelve, and almost everyone had trailed off to the dormitories. Draco and Ginny, however, had stayed downstairs to make up more details about themselves, just in case anyone decided to delve deeper into their lives. So far, they hadn't accomplished much except fighting.

“Well, I’m seventeen anyway. I see no reason to change that.”

Ginny sighed. “Then why can’t I stay sixteen?”

"I would've thought that'd be obvious."

"Well, obviously, it's not!"

Draco blinked. “Dumbledore didn’t tell you?”

“Tell me what?”

“He’s moving you up to seventh year so we can stay together most of the time.”

Ginny looked stunned. “How does he think I could possibly handle seventh year work?”

“You’re top of your year, aren’t you?”

“Close enough to it, I suppose. Still, that doesn’t mean I’m good enough to do the really advanced stuff.”

Draco looked at her flatly. “Ginny, Crabbe and Goyle have made it this far.”

“True.” Ginny raised her eyebrows and quirked a grin. “Draco, I think you just came dangerously close to making a joke.”




Close to an hour later, Ginny didn’t feel much like teasing him anymore. “It’s almost one in the morning. Can’t we go to bed?”

“We have to finish this before tomorrow, or someone’s going to hit you with a question you can’t answer.”

Ginny groaned. “How much is left?”

“Not too much,” Draco said, stretching his legs out in front of him and lacing his fingers behind his head. “Right now, we need to think of a reason why your family disowned you.”

Ginny frowned. “Why’ve I been disowned?”

“I don’t know; that’s what we need to find out.”

“No, I mean why do I have to be disowned?”

Draco raised his eyebrows at her, amusement entering his gray eyes. “You don’t think someone might bother to check your supposed identity? The Delacours are French purebloods, it’s true, but someone at Hogwarts could easily find out that they have no daughters right now.”

“How do you know that? That the Delacours don’t have any daughters, I mean?”

“I think you’ll find that most true pureblood families require their children to learn pureblood history. Now, can we get back to the subject at hand, please?”

Ginny made a face at him for the ‘superior than thou’ tone in his voice. “Well, what’s a bad enough offense among true purebloods to be disowned?”

“Being sorted into Gryffindor, consorting with mudbloods or half-bloods, marrying beneath your position and/or status. . . that sort of thing.” Draco took in the bored look on Ginny’s face, the way her eyes were half-closed, and sighed in resignation. “You can go to bed.”

Ginny’s head shot up. “Seriously?”

Draco nodded, dismissing her with a wave of his hand. “Yes, just keep brainstorming possible disownment reasons.”

Ginny brightened and practically leapt from the sofa. She started off toward the dormitories, then paused, looking back at him with a mischievous gleam in her green eyes. She approached the sofa from behind and bent to lightly kiss his cheek. “Goodnight, Draco.” She started to walk away, but Draco caught her elbow and pulled her back toward him.

“Oh, no you don’t.”

Ginny had only a moment for the shock to register before he’d tugged her lips down to his.

The kiss was short, only lasting for a few moments, but it seemed like a very long time to Ginny. When Draco pulled back, smiling slightly, she gave herself enough of a thought-clearing shake to hear him say, “Goodnight, Isendre.”
Leave a Review