Chapter 16- Christmas: Part 3

“Isendre!” Narcissa snapped her fingers in front of Ginny’s wide, dancing eyes. “Isendre Elayne Delacour, snap out of it!”

Ginny shook her head and blinked, her eyes coming to focus on the woman in front of her. “Sorry, what?”

Bellatrix rolled her eyes from the corner where she was changing. “Oh, just tell us already. It’s not like we haven’t figured out that something important happened.”

“Oh, Erik and I just got everything cleared up.”

Ginny’s nonchalant attitude disappeared, and she let out a high-pitched squeal. “I’m so happy we aren’t fighting anymore!” Ginny didn’t notice the winks that Bellatrix and Narcissa exchanged.

Bellatrix winked at Narcissa knowingly before heading into the bathroom. “Hurry up and change you two,” she called from in front of the mirror. “We’re going to be the last ones down there! Again!”

“Okay, okay, we’re coming.”


Ginny rushed down the stairs with her friends, smoothing her clothes anxiously. Now was the gift exchange with just the Hogwarts teenagers. She’d chosen a smooth-fitting pair of jeans and a cowl-necked white sweater. Her dark hair was slicked back in a French braid, a Slytherin ring swinging from the end.

Ginny irritatedly pushed back the few curls left around her face as the trio burst into the living room. The boys, of course, were already there. Bellatrix led the way into the room, joining the semi-circle around the massive Christmas tree. It was just happenstance, of course, that there were open places right next to Lucius, Rodolphus, and Draco.

Just a moment later, Lucius reached for a wrapped package and nodded. The rest of the gang dove into the presents, tossing them around in something closely resembling ‘hot potato’ until everyone had the right ones.

When the room had settled a bit, Ginny began to open her gifts, reaching first for a brightly wrapped one. She ripped the card from its place and read slowly.

Dearest Isendre,

It’s been really great getting to know you and being your friends. We’re so glad that you and Erik got things worked out, and we wish you the best in the future. Love you, girl, no matter what!

Your FAVORITE Black sister,
Narcissa

The non-delusional half of the Black duo,
Bellatrix

Ginny, shaking her head good-naturedly, replaced the card in its envelope and ripped the paper off the present. An expensive-looking picture frame fell into her lap, stilling her movements. The outer frame was solid silver, while the inner part was a curving, detailed Slytherin serpent. It was the picture inside, however, that made her pause. It was a moving, color photograph of the three of them on a Hogsmeade trip, and they looked so. . .happy. Ginny stared at the picture, transfixed. Bellatrix was making bunny ears on Ginny, Narcissa was smiling dazzlingly at the camera, and Ginny was laughing, trying to push the bunny ears away. Their arms were around each other, and they looked like real friends.

We are, though,’ Ginny thought, amazed and confused at the discovery all at once. ‘We are friends. Imagine, all those years of avoiding the Slytherins, only to discover that they’re people, too. This is so weird.’

“Isendre.”

Ginny was snatched from her reverie by Draco’s voice cutting into it.

“Finish opening your presents, Dee.”

“Oh. . .right. . .”

Ginny placed the picture frame carefully to the side and turned to her next gift. Upon opening the package, she found it was a vast assortment of lotions, perfumes, and bath crystals. The tag read simply:

I wasn’t sure what you’d want for Christmas, so I just kept my sister in mind as I bought for you. Happy Christmas, Isendre.

Lucius

There was no card to go with the last gift, but Ginny knew instinctively who it was from. She undid the wrapping paper and began pulling out things that made her jaw drop. First was an expensive-looking silk scarf, pure white and wonderfully smooth to the touch. Next was a dazzling set of dangly diamond earrings, followed by a necklace of alternating diamonds and emeralds. Ginny gaped at the thousands of galleons worth before her and turned to Draco.

“Bribery, Draco?” She asked, for his ears alone.

“Is it working?”

Ginny pretended to think about it for a moment, then threw her arms around his neck, squealing with delight. “Yes, yes, yes, a million times yes!” She pulled back a second later, her expression turning a bit serious. “Really though, the dress was more than enough. You shouldn’t have spent so much.”

Draco raised his eyebrows and glanced pointedly around the elaborate room. “Does it look like I’m hard up?”

“Draco-”

“I wanted to surprise you, Ginny. It’s fine, really.”

Ginny tilted her head slightly, a slow smile of utter amazement and bliss lingering on her lips. “Do you know where we are?”

“Where?”

“Under the Mistletoe.”


Ginny was sitting on the bed in her guest room, deep in thought, a small smile lingering on her face, when Bellatrix and Narcissa burst through the door.

“I knew there something going on with you two! I knew it!”

“Merlin, Isendre, why didn’t you just tell us?! I think it’s fabulous!”

“What are you talking about?” Ginny asked, even though she knew perfectly well what they were talking about.

“You and Erik, silly!” Narcissa’s face plainly said that she knew what Ginny was up to. “I saw you two under the mistletoe.”

Ginny smiled, playing the innocent. “What would you say if I told you we were just friends?”

Narcissa lifted one of the diamond earrings from Draco and held it to Ginny’s ear, turning her so she was looking at her reflection. “Then he must really love you.”

Leave a Review