Chapter Two- Thank You

“Ginny. Ginny? Ginny!”

Ginny awoke the next morning to someone shouting her name and shaking her. Bleary-eyed, she lifted her head and peered at crazy woman by her bed. “Hermione?”

Hermione leaned back and grinned. “You'd better get up, Ginny. Ron’s pretty ticked off about something. He’s been pacing the common room for the last hour, and he keeps shouting for you up the stairs.”

Still half asleep, Ginny sat up yawning. “What’s he want me for?”

“I don’t know, but you’d better get down there before he tears the common room apart.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Where is she, Hermione? You said she was up!”

Hermione frowned at Ron, who was still pacing back and forth across the floor. “She’s coming, Ron, for Heaven’s sake. Honestly, sometimes I think you have some of Snape in you. Harry, talk some sense into him.”

Harry Potter, who’d been lounging on the sofa watching them bicker with an amused look on his face, shook his head. “I’ll leave that to Ginny.”

The door to the girls’ staircase opened, and Ginny came out, looking none too happy at being woken up. “What do you want, Ron? Hermione said you’ve been wearing a hole right through the floor down here.”

Ron rounded on his sister, glaring at her. “You never came back from your ‘little walk.’ I want to know what you were doing last night.”

“Sleeping.”

“Oh, don’t give me that! We walked right past you underneath the invisibility cloak. You had this weird look on your face, like you’d. . .Ginny, who were you snogging?”

Ginny’s eyes went wide and she glared back at her brother. “I wasn’t snogging anyone! Honestly, you’re acting like it’s a crime to go for a walk.”

Ron acted as though he hadn’t heard her. “You’re dating someone, aren’t you? You’re dating somebody and you sneak out in the middle of the night to kiss him! If you have to sneak out then he’s in a different house. You were coming from the direction of the dun- Bloody hell! My sister’s dating a Slytherin! Oh no, Mum’s going to find a way to blame this on me, you watch!”

“Ron, I really don’t see what you’re so upset about.” This came from Harry, who had risen to stand by Hermione, somewhat between the feuding siblings. “We sneak out in the night all the time.”

“And you know Ginny hates Slytherins just as much as we do,” Hermione put in. “Why on Earth would she date one?”

Ron spluttered. “But, but she. . .but. . .”

“Hermione, why don’t you and Ginny head down to breakfast,” Harry said, grinning at the pair of them. “I’ll handle Ron.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that day, Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Ginny sat eating lunch together, Ron considerably calmer. Or rather, Ron, Harry, and Hermione sat eating lunch, while Ginny pushed her food around on her plate. Her thoughts were on the night before.

“Draco Malfoy was being nice. Is the world ending?” Ginny glanced at the ceiling of the great hall. “Nope, the sky isn’t falling. But Draco Malfoy being polite? It’s crazy! Maybe he’s sick. Or maybe it was all a dream.”

Looking suddenly at the Slytherin table, Ginny saw the object of her thoughts watching her. Their eyes met, and an idea struck Ginny. Jerking her head back toward the doors, she rose to her feet.

“I'll be right back,” she whispered to Hermione.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“She seemed so surprised that I helped her. Great, now she probably thinks I’m into her.” As it turned out, Draco’s thoughts were on the night before as well. Looking over at the Gryffindor table, he noticed Ginny wasn’t eating. “Great. Now she’s gone and gotten herself all worked up over nothing.”

When Ginny looked up at him and jerked her head back, he felt himself nod. Waiting until she’d disappeared out the doors, Draco stood and left the hall as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ginny waited nervously in the hall for him to appear. She’d seen him nod; he was coming. Pacing slightly, she tried to calm the butterflies in her stomach. “Maybe it’s not what you think. He was just trying to help. Yeah, that’s it. There’s nothing more to it.”

Sinking down onto the floor, Ginny waited in silence for Malfoy to come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Draco left the hall with a wondering feeling. What did she want? Exiting the hall, he almost tripped over Ginny, who was kneeling near the doors. She quickly got to her feet, brushing herself off.

“Well, Weasley? What do you want?”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The door opened suddenly and Draco Malfoy came out, sending Ginny sprawling. She quickly rose, brushing the dirt off her clothes to hide her glowing face. At his question, she collected herself and faced him.

“Why did you help me?”

“Nobody deserves what happens in those dungeons, except maybe Potter,” Draco said. At her question his eyes had widened, then gone blank of emotion. “Don’t get any ideas, Weasel, it wasn’t anything personal.

Ginny took a deep breath, then spoke the words she’d been dreading to say. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” Draco turned on his heel and walked back into the hall.
Leave a Review