Chapter 10- Cold

Ginny left Hermione’s private room, intending to leave through the Head Boy and Girl’s common room. She was surprised to see Blaise coming out of Draco’s quarters, eyes hard and seething. Upon noticing her, he tamed his expression.

“What are you doing here?”

“Visiting Hermione,” she said, gesturing to the door behind her. “You?”

Blaise sighed and made a face at the door he’d just closed. “Talking to Draco.”

“Looks like it went badly.”

Blaise darted in front of her to hold the portrait open, then followed her out through it. “What do you mean?”

She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye, and a slight smirk appeared on the corner of her mouth. “You came out of there looking ready to kill. What happened?”

Blaise shrugged, his voice a semblance of calm. “Oh, nothing much, just setting him straight about a few things.”

“Anything serious?”

Surprisingly, Blaise raised an eyebrow at her and grinned. “Well. . .that depends, doesn’t it?”

“On?”

“Who you ask.”

Ginny rolled her eyes as they came to a halt in the entrance hall. “Why do I have a peculiar feeling you were talking about me?”

Blaise’s smile widened but he remained silent.

“Tell me!”

“You might’ve entered the conversation at some point.”

“And?”

“And that’s all.”

“Blaise Zabini, don’t you dare not tell me!”

“You’re very cute when you’re angry, love.”

“Blaise-”

The man just laughed and pushed her toward the marble staircase. “Go to bed, Ginny. Maybe I’ll tell you tomorrow.”

The red-head sighed but could see she was going to lose this battle. She was halfway up the stairs when she heard Blaise call her name again.

“I’ll be wanting that scarf back.”




The following night, an hour before the end of practice, Patrick called a halt to the music.

“I know you all have been working extremely hard on this show, and to show you just how much I appreciate that, I’ve got a little surprise for you. I’ve asked Professor Dumbledore if we could have ourselves a cast sleepover tonight, and he said yes. Furthermore, he agreed to let you have the day off from classes tomorrow, to spend as you please. Go and get whatever you need for the night now, and then we’ll keep practicing on after curfew.”

Ginny linked arms with Hermione and headed off toward Gryffindor tower.

“Isn’t it exciting, Hermione? We get to stay up late tonight AND we get the whole day off tomorrow!”

Hermione sighed and looked disappointed. “I spent the entire rehearsal trying to get my homework done for tomorrow and now I find out I could’ve left it.”

Ginny exhaled loudly. “Whew, I was afraid you were going to be disappointed we don’t have class tomorrow.”

“Well, there’s that too. . .”




Parvati Patil, stretched out on a thick blanket, sniffled into her fuzzy pillow as the ending credits began to scroll up the screen. “That’s so pretty. I just can’t get over the way Christine has to choose between the two guys when she loves them both.” Parvati sighed and rolled over to talk to Padma.

Patrick’s voice boomed from somewhere to the right of them.

“Now what do you want to do?”

Silence ruled for a moment before Blaise, who was stretched out beside Ginny, suddenly bellowed, “Karaoke!”

Murmurs of assent rippled through the relaxing cast, and Patrick motioned to Hermione. “If you would. . . ?”

Hermione nodded and positioned herself beside the stage, ready to broadcast whatever song was requested.

The room was silent as everyone looked nervously at everyone else, trying to decide who was going to move first. Ginny watched a piece of paper float down in front of Blaise’s face, and he unfolded it cautiously. Two bold words stood out on the parchment:

Do it.’

Blaise sighed, but stood and headed toward the stage. He paused to tell Hermione what song to broadcast, then addressed the room as a whole. “Just so everyone knows, this song has nothing to do with me. This is from a friend who chooses to remain anonymous, and it’s dedicated to Miss Ginevra Weasley.

Looking back at me I see that I never really got it right;

I never stopped to think of you.

I’m always wrapped up in things I cannot win.

You are the antidote that gets me by,

Something strong, like a drug that gets me high.

What I really meant to say is I’m sorry for the way I am.

I never meant to be so cold, never meant to be so cold.

What I really meant to say is I’m sorry for the way I am.

I never meant to be so cold, never meant to be so
.”

The rock guitar and drum paused for a moment before coming back in with a hard beat.

Cold to you, I’m sorry about all the lies.

Maybe in a different life you can see me stand on my own
again;

Cause now I can see

You are the antidote that got me by.

Something strong, like a drug that got me high.

What I really meant to say is I’m sorry for the way I am.

I never meant to be so cold, never meant to be so cold.

What I really meant to say is I’m sorry for the way I am.

I never meant to be so cold, never meant to be so cold.

Never meant to be so cold
.”

The rough beat, which had slowed to a moderate tempo, came back up with a distorted lead guitar solo.

I never really wanted you to see

That screwed up side of me that I keep

Locked inside of me so deep;

It always seems to get to me.

I never really wanted you to go;

So many things you should have known-

I guess for me there’s just no hope.

I never meant to be so cold.

What I really meant to say is I’m sorry for the way I am.

I never meant to be so cold, never meant to be so cold.

What I really meant to say is I’m sorry for the way I am.

I never meant to be so cold, never meant to be so cold
."
Leave a Review