Chapter 2- The Phantom of the Opera

“Too long you’ve wandered in winter far from my fathering gaze.”

“Wildly my mind beats against you yet my soul obeys.”

“I am your Angel of Music. Come to the Angel of Music.”



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Hermione, I’m serious. It’s scaring me.”

“You’ve just been thinking too much about the musical, that’s all, Gin.”

“I was having them before it even started, before you woke me up to tell me about auditions yesterday.”

Hermione’s steps slowed, and her gaze flickered to her friend as they walked.

“Just how long have you been having these dreams?”

“For about the last month.”

“Before school started?”

“Yeah, and it’s always the same. It’s me and a Phantom. Every time I reach to pull his mask off, I wake up.”

Hermione sighed and kept walking, forcing Ginny to keep on as well. “I don’t know what to tell you, Gin. I guess it’s not a big deal, just tell me if something different happens.”

“Alright.”

The two rounded a corner and were confronted with a mob of people crowding outside Professor McGonagall’s office. Hannah Abbott of Hufflepuff was standing near them, so Hermione questioned her.

“What’s going on, Hannah? What’s everyone standing here for?”

“Patrick’s just posted the cast list for ‘Phantom,’ and he’s handing out the scripts and music books. Oh gosh, he’s coming this way!”

Hannah hurriedly smoothed her hair and put on a winning smile. Patrick smiled slightly in return and skirted around her to reach Hermione and Ginny.

“Congratulations,” he said, handing them both rather thick scripts. “Your parts are hi-lighted.”

Hermione thanked him and cracked open her book as Patrick walked away. “I got Madame Giry,” she said, flipping through the pages slowly. “Who are you?”

Ginny opened her book and glanced at the front page. “I’m Christine.”

“You don’t sound very happy about it.”

“Oh, I am,” Ginny said quickly, shaking her head in disbelief. “I’m just kind of worried about who the Phantom is going to be.”

“Let’s go look, then.” Hermione pushed her way through the already dispersing crowd and glanced at the list pinned to the bulletin board. She promptly turned on her heel and headed back down the hallway, attempting to drag Ginny with her.

“On second thought, who needs to know? Come on, we’ve only got an hour before lunch is over!” Hermione steered her friend toward the Great Hall, but Ginny pulled her arm away and headed back toward the bulletin board.

“Oh come on, Hermione, he can’t be that bad.”

The list read:

Raoul- Patrick Wilson
Christine Daae- Ginevra Weasley
Eric “The Phantom”- Draco Malfoy


“On second thought, maybe he can.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Draco and Ginny stood on opposite sides of the piano, listening mutely to Patrick explain what they were going to do at that rehearsal. Besides those three, the only people in the room were those in the pit (orchestra).

“Okay, I want to work through the title song tonight, so, Ginny, you’re going to start. It’s page 23 in your music books.”

The familiar organ and percussion opening began, and nothing but the music existed.

“In sleep he sang to me, in dreams he came,

That voice which calls to me and speaks my name.

And do I dream again? For now I find

The Phantom of the Opera is there inside my mind.”


Ginny’s clear soprano faded and Draco pushed off the piano to stand straight, his incredible tenor resounding in the stone room.

“Sing once again with me our strange duet;

My power over you grows stronger yet.

And though you turn from me to glance behind,

The Phantom of the Opera is there inside your mind.”


A single trumpet blasted above the rest for a momentary instrumental, then led the pit down into their first duet.

“Those who have seen your face draw back in fear.

I am the mask you wear
, it’s me they hear.”

Two extraordinary voices blended together in perfect unison.

“Your spirit and my voice in one combined;

My spirit and your voice in one combined;

The Phantom of the Opera is there inside my mind.

The Phantom of the Opera is here inside your mind.”

The song changed keys, and Draco’s voice rose above Ginny’s, resonating through the octaves.

“In all your fantasies, you always knew

that man and mystery
were both in you.”

The second duet of the song flowed out, captivating in its glory.

“And in this labyrinth where night is blind,

And in this labyrinth where night is blind,

The Phantom of the Opera is here inside my mind.

The Phantom of the Opera is there inside your mind.

Sing, my angel of music!


He’s there the phantom of the opera."

Ginny’s voice climbed to the upper registers,
moving through triplets and jumps, and Draco’s hissed invitingly at her.

“Ah!

Sing, my angel of music!

Ah!

Sing my angel.

Ah!

Sing for me!

Ah!

Sing. . .

Ah!

Sing my angel.

Ah!

Sing for me!”

Ginny jumped to an E above high C and held it for 7 counts, the note ringing even after she’d cut off. The room stared at her for a few moments before bursting into applause; the songstress didn’t even notice. She’d recognized the voice of her Phantom, and her eyes were locked with his.
Leave a Review