Disclaimer: I am not, nor have I ever been, J.K. Rowling

~Ginny's POV~

I finally did it. I went to the apothecary in Hogsmeade and got my saving grace, my poison. I have decided that tonight is the night. I'll just slip into the Prefects bathroom, since there is nary a soul in there after curfew. I have gone down several times with a blade, but I am afraid of the pain. I don't want to leave a trail of blood as I lash out from my misery.

I do not fear death. I just do not want to die painfully. My poison, namely known as Unidra, works quickly, killing the victim almost instantly. It is made from the hair of a unicorn and the blood of a dragon, the two when mixed becoming very deadly. At last, I will be at peace.

I'm out of bed and getting dressed, pretending everything is normal. I grab my materials so I won't have to come back and get them after breakfast. Rushing out into the common room, I climb through the portrait hole and start to make my way to breakfast. I'm late, so I am practically at a run and can’t pay very much attention to where I’m going. When I'm almost in the hall I run into something hard. I get knocked to the ground, and everything blacks out from there.

~Draco's POV~

Oh no, what have I done now? This is not my day. First, I wake up late. Then, I spill ink all over my robes. Now, I run into the little weasel on my way to breakfast. This is just perfect. Why does everything always happen to me? I bring the little weasel to the hospital wing, and that's where I am, staring at that mass of red hair on her head. Why must everything be so complicated? I could have just left, but no, I had to see if the little weasel is all right. Why? I don't really know myself. Anyway, I just want to get this over with. As soon as she wakes up, and I'm sure that she's okay, I'll leave. It is partially my fault that she's in here, not that I'll ever admit that to anyone. Oh, look at that, the little weasel's finally waking up. I'll finally be able to leave.

~Ginny's POV~

"What am I doing here? How did I get here? The last thing I remember is knocking into something hard, and falling," I said, seeing someone, but my vision is blurry, so I do not know who it is. Then I hear a familiar voice, full of anger, and no compassion that I can hear.

"Well, that something that you bumped into is rather a someone, and that someone is me. Now that I see that you're fine I can go without my conscience bothering me," he said, and started to leave.

"Why would it have bothered you in the first place, Malfoy? Aren't I just another Weasley in your eyes?" I asked, sounding bored, but there was pain in my words. He's just another reason that I plan to take the potion. I began to have feelings for him last year on the Hogwarts Express, on the way home. Not feelings of love, not even like, but respect. He showed that he could be kind by extending a helping hand to me when I fell, and then he went back to being the way he was before it happened.

Without another word, I got up and raced out the door. I knew that I couldn't take another moment of life, not with him, not with Harry, who ignored me for years, and still did, and not with Ron, my overprotective brother who has never given me freedom. I ran as fast as I could to the Prefect's bathroom, and I got out the bottle. I had it with me, to remind myself that it would be over by the end of the day. No more pain, no more sorrow, and no more tears.

I opened the bottle, and felt a tingle of joy inside. I was finally getting the happiness I wanted. I knew that I would never get such joy again as I had that moment and I knew that this was the only way out. I brought the bottle to my lips, about to drink, about to savor my death, when suddenly another hand came crashing down onto mine, knocking it away from my mouth, and held on to the hand holding the bottle. I tried to get my hand free, but whoever had their hand on me held tight, determined not to let me drink my potion, my poison, my Unidra. I looked at the owner of the hand, and I found myself staring into the gray, concerned eyes of Draco Malfoy.

"Why are you doing this to yourself, Gin? I didn't think that you would go this far into thinking that there was no other way out. I thought you were stronger. What pushed you so far over the edge?" he asked, his voice full of the compassion that was missing in the hospital wing.

I looked at the bottle in his hand and realized what I was about to do. Although I still wanted it, I doubted very much that it would fix everything for everyone else, and I would only be leaving a mess behind. A single tear rolled down my cheek, and he brushed it away with a soft hand. I would never have noticed the tear, but his hand startled me into realization of it. He put a hand on my shoulder and looked me in the eyes. “Are you going to be okay? There’s not much that can make someone go that far.” I sobbed harder with farther realization about what I was about to do. I sank to the floor and just cried. After a few moments, Malfoy sat down with me. He looked exhausted.

We sat like that for what seemed like hours, and then, when my sobs finally subsided, I got to my feet, and Malfoy did the same. “So, are you okay now?” I gave him half a smile at him and nodded my head. I had no idea that he could have been so nice, but I realized that he was human like everyone else. He touched my shoulder and I left.

I went straight back to my dorm, seeing as I didn’t want to watch Ron and Hermione’s snog session in the common room. They should have done so in one of their bedrooms, if you ask me. Really, they should not even have been together. The dream team had been friends, and then one time last year Hermione and Harry got together. The were together for almost a year, and then Harry broke it off with her, saying that it wasn’t working out, and that he just wanted to be friends. Two days later he caught her and Ron snogging behind one of the singing statues. Needless to say, their friendship was ruined. I only wish that they would not get me involved in their spats, because I don’t like being involved in things, especially other people’s arguments.

I jumped onto my four-poster bed and was surprised when I found an envelope on my bed. I looked at it, and it was written in an unfamiliar handwriting and on expensive stationary. I opened and read the first piece of mail I’d received since the summer holidays.

Dear Weasley,

I’m sorry about knocking you down, and I am truly sorry for teasing you. I had no idea what kind of effect it would have on you. If you would like to meet me, I’ll be in the astronomy tower at midnight. I have something to give you, and I feel that I must deliver it in person. Come tonight, and wear something special, I assure you it won’t be for nothing. If you don’t want to meet me, send a note back with my owl saying so.

Sincerely,
D.M.

I stared at the letter, unable to believe what I was reading. I had never known Malfoy to be kind, but here was a note, apologizing for all that he had done to me. I looked at the note again, and discovered that I had no idea what I was going to wear. I had not gotten anything new to wear in a long time, and the most special thing I owned was an old jumper that my mother had knitted me one Christmas. I didn’t think that that was what he had meant by special.

I looked through my things, and after much searching, I found my robes that I had gotten from my brothers for Christmas that year. I put them on, and admired myself in the mirror. They were a lovely shade of forest green, complementing the red of my hair nicely. I’d always looked best in greens, maybe I should have been a Slytherin. Then I would have worn green all the time!

I pulled the robes off and looked at the time. It was already ten o’clock by the time I had found my robes, so I would have to hurry and get my hair done up for myself, because if this was special, I would want to look the part entirely, not just in what I was wearing.

As soon as eleven o’clock had rolled around, I had put my robes on, and I headed toward the astronomy tower. It was tricky getting out of the common room without being noticed by my brother. I assumed Hermione had gone to bed, since she couldn’t let her grades fall, she was still head girl after all. After I got out of the common room, it was already eleven thirty. I would have to hurry to make it to the tower in time.

I ran the entire way to the tower, and discovered that I was early. Since I was early, it would be a good time to look at the stars. I had always loved looking up at the night sky.

As I looked at the belt of Orion, I felt someone watching me. I pulled myself away from the telescope I was using to see Draco standing behind me, transfixed on my image. “Out for an evening stroll I see, Malfoy. Care to tell me why you dragged me out here?” I asked, hoping to catch him off guard.

Unfortunately, Malfoys never seemed to be caught off guard. “Why yes, I’ve called you here to give you something, but you’ll have to come closer to me to get it.” he said rather arrogantly. I wanted to smack him for making my heart pound the way it did at that moment. I stepped closer, very cautiously, and looked into his cold gray eyes. I saw the same arrogance in them that I had always seen, but there was something else there, something that I couldn’t place. Fear maybe? I had no idea what he was about to give me, and I was willingly accepting it, whatever it may have been.
Leave a Review