“You look… okay. I suppose that’s all I can expect from someone who was such a disaster before.” Draco scoffed. My face fell from it’s beaming state. I couldn’t believe it… I had thought I looked terrific.

“Draco, don’t be silly! She looks gorgeous!” Lucifer said. I tried to be ecstatic about him liking my look, but something just wasn’t right. I just couldn’t place it, and the day had been so exhausting that I wasn’t about to try and figure it all now. It was all too muddied in my mind anyhow. Perhaps sleeping would clear some things up.

“If you say so. I think we should head back to the Hogwarts, it’s getting late. We wouldn’t want our Gryffindor getting in trouble by breaking a rule, now would we?”

My jaw dropped in shock. Had he really changed his mind and his attitude that quickly? They had only been gone for a few hours. I can’t even imagine why he would think such a thing.

“Yes, I suppose we should get back. Lead the way Draco.” Lucifer said. Draco headed out, but Lucifer held me back for a moment. “Don’t let what he says get to you, he’s just got his on issues to deal with. He doesn’t mean what he says half the time. I’ll have a talk with him.” Even though Draco’s words still stung, I felt immensely better. We left the salon in a frenzy and I was glad to climb into the carriage. I felt I needed the night to sleep.

When we got to the castle, I headed straight for my dormitory. I didn’t want to be seen yet and deal with the shocked expressions of every person in my house, so I simply got ready for bed. The items that Lucifer and Draco had bought for me had been sent to my dorm ahead of time, so I slipped into some of the night wear that they had insisted they purchase for me and climbed into bed, closing my curtains around me.

I tossed and turned for hours thinking about what Draco had said, and how he was so hot and cold. It drove me absolutely insane that I couldn’t figure him out, and I needed to be able to figure someone out if I would ever be friends with them.

I did eventually get to sleep, only to be woken up three hours later by my alarm. School, in my opinion, starts entirely too early.

I crawled out of bed and hopped in the shower. The thoughts from the night before still plagued me and nothing was any clearer than it had been before. I enjoyed the momentary escape from reality as I rinsed my hair and lingered for a bit before turning off the water and drying myself off, and dressing in some of my new school robes. I used a hair-drying spell that they had taught me at the salon and added some of the products that they had given me, both to my hair and my face. The spells they taught me were the best of the best, and I was soon looking just as gorgeous as I had been the day before when they had finished with me. I stepped back out into an empty dorm room and grabbed my books, ready to go down to the Great Hall in search of my daily morning coffee.

I trudged down the stairs, paying little attention to where I was headed. I cursed as I felt my foot sink through one of the trick steps on the staircase. I should have known better. It looked like I was stuck until someone came by, which meant I might miss my coffee.

I stood there for ten minutes waiting for someone, anyone to come and pull me free. I got my wish, but when he came, I wished that I had been more specific in who I had wished for. “Hello Harry.”

“Hey Gin. What happened?”

“I wasn’t paying attention like I should have been and I got my foot caught. Would you mind setting me loose?”

“Sure, not a problem. I was just on my way up to get my DADA book. I left it in my room on accident. Why are you so late coming down?”

“I just didn’t want to get out of bed, and then my shower felt really nice. I suppose I took too long, but it was nice taking my time.” I wanted to bolt for the door and get away as soon as possible, but I couldn’t do that. I knew it would look suspicious.

“You look really nice today Ginny. Did your mum get you some new robes?”

“Thank you. I got them in Hogsmeade yesterday, actually.”

“Oh… okay. Well, I guess I’ll see you later then.” Harry turned and continued on his way to get is book, and I was decidedly glad after all that I had seen him.

I made my way to the Great Hall and sat down at the table. It was business as usual, save for the eyes of a few more males turned my way, as well as a couple of suspicious female eyes. I guess it really was time for a change. I’m finally at least getting noticed for something other than someone whispering behind their hand about the incident my first year. I’m still haunted by that every day, but maybe now I can change that. Maybe now I have a friend who doesn’t care either way.

I poured my coffee and added the cream and sugar. Most people find my coffee grotesque because they believe I use too much sugar. Personally, I enjoy my coffee.

I finished my coffee and made my way outside to the greenhouses and to herbology. Class was rather mundane, as per usual, and when it was over I was glad to be out of there.

I had a while before my next class began, so I took a walk down to the lake. The school year was nearly over, and the weather was perfect for sitting and watching the water. The only other person by the lake when I arrived was Draco.

“Ginny, I’m sorry about yesterday. I’m sorry about how I treated you. I know I must’ve hurt you, and I was way out of line. It isn’t fair of me to treat you with anything but the utmost respect. Can you forgive me, again?”

“I suppose so. So what are you doing down here, anyhow? Where are the henchmen who are normally glued to your sides?”

“Crabbe and Goyle don’t particularly like associating with me any longer. They think that I’m trouble for them, or at least that’s what their fathers think. They aren’t sure if they can be certain of where my loyalties lie, and I suppose right now that’s a reasonable argument. Especially since I’m not so sure myself.” He looked as though he regretted saying so much the moment his last words left his mouth.

“If you aren’t certain, make a list. Weigh out the pros and cons. Do this for both sides. It can’t make a decision for you, but it’ll certainly help.”

“I wish it could be that simple, Gin. I really do.” Draco said as he looked out over the water just in time to see the giant squid catch a fish. “So anyhow, I was wondering… Would you like to come and stay at Malfoy Manor over the summer?”

WHAT?!!!

“Umm… I would love to, but I doubt that my mother and brothers would feel the same way. Plus, I really don’t know what to think of your father, after my first year. I’m sure I don’t need to remind you of what happened.” I replied.

“My father would love to have you as our guest, as would I and Lucifer. It seems that he has had a change of heart toward your family. And you still haven’t really answered the question of whether or not you’ll come.”

“I’ll have to think about it, and ask my mum. If she says that it’s okay, then yes, I would love to come.” I was elated beyond measure. A summer at Malfoy Manor! It’s rumored to be the biggest manor in Scotland, with the largest staff of house elves.

“Great. I’ll let my brother know, and we can start making arrangements. Just let me know if you won’t be allowed to come.” There was something in his eyes as he said this, and I couldn’t place it.

“All right. Well, I should probably get to class. It’s probably close to time for Divination.” I said, wanting to get away and think things over, not only what was asked, but the motivations that were behind his asking.

“Okay. Have a good time, as I’m sure you will, and make up something good for me.” He grinned mischievously.

“I certainly will.” I walked away, and the rest of the day passed in the blink of an eye.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

The last few days of school were the possibly least eventful of the year. My mum had surprisingly said yes, claiming to have gotten a letter of apology from Lucius, and I was receiving a few compliments on my new look. Life went on as usual and my final exams went fairly well. I couldn’t believe the year was ending.

As we ate our farewell feast, Draco came and handed me an envelope. Inside were my instructions on getting to the manor after I had gone home to see the family before leaving. Why on earth would he have handed them to me instead of sending them to my family by owl?

Ah well. It didn’t matter. Soon I would be back home, and then it will be off to Malfoy Manor with me, where I was sure I would experience the finest treatment. Wouldn’t I?

After the feast ended, I went back up to my dorm to finish packing. We would be leaving early the next morning, and I wanted to make sure I had everything while I was awake. Harry was coming home with us, even after the quarrel, because mum still treated him like family. To her it was like brothers fighting, which in truth, I suppose it was. Perhaps it would all blow over.

When I was through with putting my things in my trunk, I laid down in bed and fell into a light slumber, dreaming about the events that were to come over the next months.

As I slept, I felt strong arms lift me and carry me. When I opened my eyes, I looked into the face of Draco Malfoy.
Leave a Review