“Wha… What are you doing, Draco?!” I squealed.

“I’m taking you on a bit of an adventure. Hold on tight, now, or you’ll fall.” Something about the look in his eyes told me that he wasn’t kidding, and for the first time since lifting off, I was truly afraid. I clung to him for dear life, for the time, in hopes that it would only be a moment before we landed. My hopes were dashed as I realized that he had tied my trunk to my broom.

As we flew, I slowly drifted back into my slumber. Draco’s arms were now firmly wrapped around my waist, and I had been deprived of a good night’s sleep in my bed, so my twisted logic was that I deserved that sleep, and thus I took what I deserved.

As I said, my logic was twisted.

I was awoken with a jolt as we landed less-than-gracefully and I took a look around. This was most definitely not Malfoy Manor, and I looked at Draco questioningly.

“I’ve brought you to our vacation home in Ireland. My father had planned to take all of us to our place in Australia, but I have other plans.”

"What do you mean, other plans? You can’t seriously expect that you could kidnap me and have no one realize that I’m gone, and you’re a complete lunatic if you think that this will honestly get you whatever it is that you want, since there must be a REASON for kidnapping me.”

“There certainly is, but that will have to wait until later. Come, I will show you to your room.”

If I had ever stared at anyone blankly, it would be then. “You expect me to simply comply with your wishes?”

“Well, it’s either sleep here or run the risk of running away and being caught by wolves… or worse. If you really want to risk it, far be it from me to stop you.”

“I’ll take my chances with the wolves.” I grumbled as I crossed my arms and started stomping toward the castle. I turned around to glare at him, only to see him standing there, staring after me. “Well, are you coming or not?”

“Of course.” He said simply, and his smirk was firmly in place as he walked up to the castle.

I followed closely behind as he took me through the grand entrance hall and down dark, winding, narrow hallways that lead to my bed chambers. He had levitated my trunk to follow us and proceeded to place it at the end of the four-poster bed.

“This is your room. Dinner is in three hours. Come dressed in formal attire. I will leave you to become acquainted to your new home.” He left me more confused than before. Why on earth would he want me here?

I decided that if I was to be here, I would make the most of my time. I first explored my living quarters, which consisted of the bed, a desk equipped with parchment, ink, and a quill, a nice seating area around a lovely fireplace, and a door that lead to an elegant bathroom.

“Wow, I wasn’t stuffed in the maid’s quarters. Surprising for Malfoy.” I said, figuring that no one would hear me anyhow.

“Miss? Master Malfoy says for me to come and remind you that dinner will be soon, and master also says to remind you to dress ‘appropriately.’ I is going now.” Said the house elf whom had appeared so quickly, and who disappeared just as fast. I realized at this point that I would most likely need my wand if I were to get out of Malfoy’s clutches alive, and thus I began my search for it.

“If you’re searching for your wand, don’t bother, as I have it locked away in my own quarters.” I jumped, startled by Draco’s sudden presence.

“What are you doing here? And why would you send a house elf if you were coming here anyway?” I asked, completely annoyed.

“I decided to drop by and see how you like your rooms. Are they suited to your specific needs?”

“The rooms are lovely. Now Malfoy, why the FUCK did you bring me here?”

“Ah, temper, temper. That’ll get you nowhere. And you’ll find out why you’re here soon enough, there’s just a few arrangements I need to make beforehand.” This left me more confused than ever, if that was possible. “Dinner is in an hour. You will be prompt and in proper attire or you will not eat at all.” He slammed the door as he stormed out, losing all composure, and I was completely at a loss.

I got ready as were my orders and was in the dining room on time, because something told me that he was serious, and I figured it was best to follow orders for the time being and try a subtler approach to getting information out of Draco.

“Ah, good to see you’ve arrived on time and in formalwear. Your seat is to my left, if you’ll so kindly join me.” He got up and pulled my chair out for me. I half expected him to pull it out from under me, but he pushed it into the table so that I could sit down, and then he took his place at the head of the table.

“Now, I suppose you’re wondering why I’ve brought you here. Well, tonight I shall explain everything. When Dumbledore was killed, it was supposed to be my job to kill him, but I didn’t. It was supposed to be me, but that wasn’t what happened. I’m in hiding right now, and I’ve brought you with me, because they want you. My father and Lucifer wanted you as bait, as an offering, to get back within the good graces of the Dark Lord. Remember the unicorn that nearly killed you? That was planned. Lucifer knew this whole time about the Unidra, and made up the lie that unicorn hairs taken by force were what set it off. He had bewitched the statue to come to life and come after us, so that he could save you and I and farther gain our trust. If I thought you were going to be safe, I would have left you behind. I know them too well, though, and I couldn’t do that. Lucifer’s plan was to gain your trust enough that you might even want to join us. Father just wanted bait. I… I had my own reasons for getting closer.”

Okay, now what just happened? Draco going against his family? Huh?

I suppose it made some sort of sense. If he really didn’t want to kill Dumbledore himself, and he really was in hiding from everyone on both sides, then I had no choice but to believe his story to be true.

“So, let’s say that I believe you. Let’s say that you really are trying to save me with yourself. Why do you want to save me to begin with? What do you get for saving me, other than the ‘hero’ status of a few on our side?”

“Why, I should think it was obvious. I get to enjoy your lovely company, since you NEVER complain or say a word against me.” At this, I honestly laughed.

“So, I’ve one last question. What was the purpose of giving me a makeover?”

“That, my dear Ginevra, will have to remain a mystery for the time being. I can’t spoil everything yet, now can I?” He said, a look of mischief on his face. I was at peace for the time being, but knew that it could change at any given moment.

We finished our dinner in silence, both pondering the events of the day and our discussion just minutes before. We then got up from the table and went into a lovely living room, which held the most elegant set of chess. “Do you play chess much, Draco?”

“As a matter of fact, I do. It was the only game my father really encouraged me to play, as it promotes thought on strategy and war tactics. I could never beat him, though, because I never understood strategies as well as he did. I could always beat my brother, however. He was a shamefully bad competitor. My father even threatened to beat him once for how poorly he did.” Draco looked again like he had said more than he wanted to, and he was more of a mystery to me than anyone had been in quite a long time.

“Well, I was the second best in our family at chess. The only person who could beat me was Ron. He was prone to gloating when he won, as well. I think he nearly committed suicide himself the one time I did manage to beat him. I swear, I’ve never laughed as hard as I did when I saw the look on his face as I said ‘Checkmate.’ It was priceless!” I giggled. The memory of him playing chess made me miss my family and it made me realize how important they truly were to me.

“Well, I’m up for the challenge of beating the second-best Weasley chess player, if you’re up for the challenge of going up against the second best Malfoy chess champion.”

“Bring it on. We’ll see who’s champion after this.”

We played for what seemed like hours, and neither of us could seem to finish the other off. I had three pawns, one of my knights, my queen and a bishop, plus my king of course. Draco had two pawns, both of his knights, both of his bishops, and his king. He had just announced check and I was moving my king the best I could.

“Checkmate.”

“No way, you can’t be serious! I had you cornered” Draco looked furious.

“You may have had me cornered, but you are forgetting that I was champion over even my brother once, who is arguably the best chess player in school.”

“Yes, but, but… I had you cornered!”

“Now now, Draco, don’t be a sore loser. I’m sure I can think of SOMETHING that will ease your sorrow at losing.”

“Like what?” He asked hopefully, a look in his eyes like a kid in a candy store. It was then that I realized what I had insinuated.

“Oh god, not that! I meant I could bake you my mom’s famous brownies that she taught me to make or something!” I was completely red.

“You know, you’re kind of cute when you blush.”

“Don’t get used to it. I refuse to be made a fool of.” By this point we were both in hysterical laughter, which was cut off abruptly with a knock at the door.
To Be Continued.
Clarinet Girl Lyss is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 8 members. Members who liked Closer also liked 386 other stories.
Leave a Review