02. Mating Rituals

“Draco darling, is that you?” his mother called as soon as he’d Apparated into the Manor. The woman had eyes and ears like a hawk!

“Yes, Mother,” he called in reply, hastily climbing the stairs to his room in attempt to avoid her, but knowing she’d catch him. Sure enough, she met him at the top of the stairs.

“How did it go? What do you think?” she asked, delicately fingering the railing at the top of the stairs.

Draco gave her a pointed look and she just shrugged. “Surely you found something out?”

“Yes, Mother. I found out that the Weasley girl is the Date Doctor and that this whole thing is just ridiculous!” he said dryly as he passed her by.

“But surely she knows what she is doing. She has all those impressive certificates or so I’ve heard. At least someone in the Weasley family was able to do something productive with their lives.” She looked down her nose distastefully as she made her last comment.

“Mother, really! Those awful twins run one of the most successful shops in all of wizard Europe and that idiot Weasel from my class may not be the best Quidditch player but the crowds sure seem to love him. It’s not like the girl is the only one who’s done anything.” His eyes grew wide as he realized he was defending Weasleys to his mother!

Narcissa shrugged, turned her nose up and headed down the stairs. He sighed and trudged the rest of the way to his room.

Draco’s room was actually a series of rooms. He had his own living area, sleeping area and a large bathroom with a separate claw-foot tub and stand-in shower. He also had his own game room where he and his friends spent time playing cards and smoking cigars, drinking, and listening to Quidditch games on the Wizarding Wireless Network.

He threw off his robe and plopped down on the plush sofa, flipping on the wireless to cut through the silence. There wasn’t much news these days, so there wasn’t really anything worth listening to when Quidditch wasn’t being played. He flipped the wireless back off.

He began to pace his room when he was interrupted by a head in his fireplace. “Oy! Draco!” Came a fairly recognizable voice. “What’re you doin’?”

Draco turned to see Blaise Zabini. “Not much Blaise, not much.”

“Where have you been? I’ve been Flooing every so often. Are we on for cards tonight? I’ve got to get away from the Missus!” Draco laughed as Pansy’s hand appeared and swatted Blaise upside the head.

“Yeah, we’re on. Sorry about earlier, I had… an appointment.”

“Ah, I see. See you at seven then?”

“Seven sounds fine. Don’t forget, it’s your turn to bring—”

“Yes, yes, I know—my night for Firewhiskey.” Blaise’s head disappeared from the fireplace and Draco decided a nap was in order before the long night with the boys.

xxx

Later that evening, Draco sat around the card table with Blaise, Crabbe, Goyle, Brendan McAlister, and Roger Davies. He wanted some information on Doctor Weasley. He knew Crabbe had gone to her, and suspected that Goyle and Davies had as well, but he didn’t know how to broach the subject without letting them know his mum had gone to her for him.

“I was in Diagon Alley the other day, visiting a client in that new building near Flourish and Blotts?” He looked around for signs of recognition. He got more than that. A longing sigh emerged from Crabbe and a wistful smile appeared on Davies’ face. “Saw the Weasley girl. She’s apparently got an office there— Doctor or something.”

“Doctor Ginny!” Crabbe volunteered. “She’s great!” A dreamy look glazed his eyes. “She helped me win Eloise. I wish I could… I mean I love Eloise… but Doctor Ginny… she’s …”

“Amazing,” Davies breathed.

“Amazingly unattainable,” Blaise added in. “I needed no help with Pansy once she dropped her membership from the Draco Malfoy fan club,” he gave Draco a pointed look, “but I’ve heard Doctor Ginny is very popular, especially with her male clients. I’ll bet she gets proposals weekly.”

“Why?” Draco asked plainly, knowing the answer.

“Draco, man, did you look at her?” Davies asked unbelievingly.

“She’s attractive enough, yes, but she’s a Weasley for crying out loud!”

“Oh, but she’s so much more!” Crabbe sighed, the dreamy look still hanging in his eyes. “She’s smart and fun to be with. She loves Quidditch and can play really well. She’s the perfect woman.”

“If that’s the case, then why is she still Weasley? Why hasn’t she been swept up by some wizard for a bride?” Draco challenged.

“She’s picky. That’s the word on the street,” Blaise offered. “She spent her youth chasing Harry Potter and once they dated, she dropped him like a bad habit. I guess the man didn’t live up to the legend,” he laughed. “Potter still pines over her, although he’s rumored to be getting engaged soon to that Looney chick.”

Draco stroked his chin, trying to appear interested in his cards and not all this information on Weasley.

“So what… is she your new pursuit?” Blaise asked, carefully looking Draco in the eye.

“She’d like that, no doubt, but I think not. I was just saying I saw her. I guess at least one of the Weasley’s has made something of themselves. She seems to be doing well,” he stated his mother’s argument from before.

“They’re all doing well now, Draco,” Goyle piped in matter-of-factly. “That one is a Quidditch star and whatnot, those twins own that shop and all…”

“Yes, well, I suppose. Anyway, on to better topics: read them and weep, gentleman,” Draco smirked as he laid down his cards. The other men’s smiles faded into frowns as they shoved their money over, admitting defeat.

xxx

A few days later, Narcissa sat waiting for Draco when he came down for breakfast. “You’ve an owl from Doctor Weasley.” She nodded towards an elegant piece of folded parchment that lay beside his plate. He opened it and looked it over.

Mrs. Malfoy,

Please have Mr. Malfoy pick me up on Thursday at noon for a lunch date. This part of the program is how I will rate Draco’s dating skills and offer suggestions for improvement. It helps me to create a more in-depth profile. Once this is done, I will determine the next step. Please have him be prompt, as the clock starts running the minute he arrives.

Thank you,

Dr. Ginevra Weasley


“Why didn’t she address it to me?” Draco scoffed, taking a seat.

“I am the one who contacted her. I suppose she feels obligated to go through me. Perhaps you should suggest to her to communicate with you directly if you don’t wish my further involvement,” she smiled.

Draco rolled his eyes and ate his breakfast. He tried to focus on his newspaper but it was useless.

xxx

Ginny Weasley was examining a file, just as she did before any meeting with any client. She tried telling herself that’s what this was: just another meeting with just another client. His baby soft-looking blonde hair and cool grey eyes— she was not thinking about those.

She also was not thinking about the way his robes, although they hid some people’s figures, did not hide those broad shoulders and trim lines. No, his were specially tailored to accentuate his desirable, masculine form. She accosted herself for that last thought.

This was Draco Malfoy she was thinking about: super git, most eligible basta— er, bachelor in wizarding England, and biggest flirt! He had practically admitted to her that he was a dog. He used women for physical pleasure and arm candy. Ginny began fuming as her thoughts progressed. She would teach him!

xxx

Draco walked briskly down the street toward the office building where he was to pick up Doctor Weasley. Doctor Weasley. Ugh. Just thinking her name made him cringe and scowl. Crabbe and the others had called her ‘Doctor Ginny.’ How come he had not been asked to do so?

He had to admit he was looking forward to seeing those legs and perhaps that arse again, but the mouth that woman had on her! No, not her perfect, pouting, full lips— what came out of them.

Before he knew it, he was outside the door to her office suite. He entered and the secretary once again ignored him, simply giving him a small wave of her hand to tell him to go on back.

The door to Doctor Weasley’s office was closed. As he raised his hand to knock, it opened and she nearly knocked him over. She seemed surprised to see him.

“You’re early,” she stated, eyes wider than normal.

Draco raked his eyes up and down her body. She was wearing a tailored black suit with a ruffle on the skirt. It was very sexy and very flirty. When he met her gaze again, he could see her scowl. She was not pleased that he looked her over.

“I’m always on time for a date,” he remarked coolly. “Shall we?”

“Yes. Let me just get my bag,” she said, retreating into the office. With her back facing him, Draco took the opportunity to appreciate how the skirt of her suit curved perfectly to her backside.

The swing of her hips, the glide of her legs across the floor… yes, he could see how other wizards had been drawn in by her, but he would not be. No. Draco Malfoy would not be taken in by such an innocent-appearing seductress. That woman knew exactly what she was doing.

“Ready?” Her voice shook him from his thoughts.

“Yes. Where to?”

“Somewhere nearby, obviously. That part of it is up to you. Take me to the type of place you might take a woman on a first date for drinks and lunch.”

“We’ll go to the Chateau Marmaude. After you,” he gestured.

The Doctor merely peered incredulously at him through thick lashes. “You would take a woman out to such a fancy lunch on a first date?”

“Well yes, of course. What would be wrong with that?”

“First of all, it’s showing off. Chateau is a great place- one of my personal favorites. But on a first date you’d be with a woman you may or may not like. Why put on all the flash? You’re just setting yourself up for a nagging when, if the relationship progresses, the quality of the restaurants and outings go down.”

“Ah, but here is where you are wrong, Miss… Doctor Weasley.” She scowled and gave him a ‘do tell’ look. “I’ll always go to places like Chateau because I can. I can afford such places. I like such places. I don’t do it to make impressions. I do it because it is what I am accustomed to.”

Her face tightened and Draco knew she knew that he was right. “Yes. Yes, you’re right. You’re terribly spoiled and would always choose such extravagance over reason. Fine then, let’s go.” She stormed out of her office, waiting at the lift without looking at him.

“I see that you don’t agree but this is my choice. It would be my choice if it were a real date. You said to do—“

“I know what I said. I forgot whom I was dealing with. Let’s just get this over with,” she sighed and crossed her arms. Draco shrugged. Here went nothing.
Leave a Review