06. The Ball

Ginny hadn’t seen or heard from Draco Malfoy in weeks.

Her invitation to the ball had arrived two weeks ago, with a special note written by Narcissa Malfoy herself. The note stated that Ginny needn’t bring a date as there would be several charming young men from good families and Narcissa herself would see to it that Ginny was properly introduced.

‘Although I shudder to think what type of men they really are,’ Ginny thought smugly. No doubt they would be friends of Draco.

Ginny had chosen a lovely shade of periwinkle blue silk for her gown, which was strapless and fitted. Her cloak was made of the same material. She was having her hair professionally charmed into a glamorous up-do and her make-up applied at an upscale witch’s beauty salon.

She wanted to look as wonderful as possible. She wanted to shine. She kept telling herself it had nothing to do with that fact that Draco Malfoy would be there and would no doubt have some tart on his arm. It didn’t matter that he might have managed to woo this ‘intelligent’ woman he had told Ginny about before he left her office that last time.

“Gin! You look marvelous! Where are you going?” Hermione Granger-Weasley called from the fireplace.

Ginny turned to face her sister-in-law and smiled. “It’s the ball, remember? Narcissa Malfoy’s charity ball benefiting… oh…benefiting St. Coco’s Orphanage for Children of Wizards and Witches,” she said as she Accioed the invitation.

“Oh yes, that’s right! Well, you’ll be the most gorgeous witch there, certainly!”

“Thanks Hermione. What’s up?”

“Oh, I had some news, but I forgot you were going out so I’ll tell you later.”

“Are you sure?” Ginny could have seen the glow in Hermione’s face kilometers away.

“Well, I did want you to the be the first to know.”

“Yes?” Ginny grinned, knowing what must be coming next.

“I’m finally pregnant! I am ten weeks along, so we figure it is safe to begin telling everyone. You’re the first to know so don’t mention it to anyone else. We’ll be telling everyone over the next week.”

“Hermione, that’s wonderful news! I am so happy— I can’t even tell you!”

“I knew you would be. You’ve been such a good source of support and friendship for me during all this. I was starting to think it would never happen, but we did it! We’re having a baby!”

“Oh, that really is the best news! I want to come celebrate! Forget the ruddy ball!”

“No, no! You should go!” Hermione argued playfully. “You’ll have a good time and I want to hear all the details about all the wizards who drool and fawn over you. You really do look amazing, not that you don’t always but… that dress… it looks like it was made specifically for you!”

“Truth be told, it was. I had a tailor to make it and the cloak. I just wanted something different. I knew every witch there would have some famous designer’s gown and robes and I wanted something all my own.”

“Well you go get ‘em! I expect to see you all over the society pages in the paper on Monday!”

Ginny laughed. “Yes and this time let’s hope it’s not suggesting some non-existent relationship with Draco Malfoy!”

Hermione laughed in return and bid her goodnight. Then Ginny left her flat and headed to her designated Apparition point for Malfoy Manor.

xxx

Draco wandered aimlessly around his mother’s party with a champagne glass in hand and smug smile on his face. His mother had forbid him to bring some tart of a date, claiming this was a respectable charity ball and she didn’t want the bad publicity it might incite.

So, he had made it his goal to watch the arrivals and find some sort of suitable replacement entertainment. Actually, He didn’t mind not having one of his usual girls there. He had, in the past few weeks, grown tired of their mindless chatter. He hadn’t gotten laid since before he’d met the Doctor and though it drove him insane, he found he just couldn’t connect with a woman on the level he desired, thus he found himself unable to bed anyone he might have taken out.

He glanced up at the top of the steps where everyone was announced as they arrived. He spotted her before she was announced— a vision in blue with golden red hair cascading in waves over her cloak. As the doorman took her cloak, she smiled down on the room and Draco knew he’d never seen a more beautiful woman.

“Doctor Ginevra Weasley,” was announced. He strode immediately and purposefully to the bottom of the steps. As she descended, she spotted him and actually gave him a small smile as she cocked her head.

“Good evening,” he greeted as she approached. He extended his elbow, meaning to escort her through the ballroom. She merely looked at him.

“Good evening, Mr. Malfoy.”

“Where is your escort this evening, Doctor?”

“Your mother told me she would see to it that I was introduced around tonight.”

Draco tried to hide his surprise. “Oh. Shall I escort you to her, then?”

Ginny nodded, cautiously taking his arm.

Having her so close, he could smell the sweet perfume that clung to her. He wanted to close his eyes and bury his face in her neck and breathe it all in. Instead, he leaned in close to her ear before they began to cross the room and told her in a low, husky voice, “You look absolutely gorgeous.”

He watched a blush creep up her neck and into her cheeks. “Thank you. You clean up well yourself,” she whispered back. “Not that you aren’t always impeccably dressed.”

Draco smirked and pulled her with him across the floor. He looked around for his mother, but she was nowhere to be found. The band was striking up another song, so he pulled the Doctor in close to him and began to lead her in a dance.

“Why yes, Mr. Malfoy, I’ll dance with you. Thank you for asking,” Ginny chided.

“I knew there was no need in asking.” He smirked back. “By the way, I’d like for you to call me Draco.”

“What if I’d rather not?”

“Suit yourself. I think though, that given our present circumstances and the fact that my mother is no longer employing you, I will call you Ginevra.”

If she was shocked at his statement, she hid it well. “Then I may as well call you Draco.” She smiled, rather nicely he thought. He returned it. He looked away from her, around the dance floor and noticed Blaise and Pansy looking his way and whispering to each other as they danced. He gave them a look and rolled his eyes.

It seemed his mother had set Ginevra and him up. Neither one of them had brought a date— they’d both been requested not to, although his mother must have told Ginevra there would be plenty of delightful young men lined up for her. But now, his mother was nowhere to be found. Yes, this had ‘Narcissa’s scheming’ written all over it.

There was no more talking as they danced and Draco discovered that Ginevra was quite the graceful dancer. He supposed he shouldn’t be surprised. She carried herself well and was an educated professional, after all. When the song ended, Ginevra stepped away from him and looked around.

“Thank you, Draco. I suppose your date is looking for you,” she said almost shyly.

“I’m alone tonight.” He saw the slight widening of her eyes.

“Oh. Is that right? Well, what about the young woman you told me about last time we—”

“Oh she’s here. Don’t worry about that,” he said, giving her a rather pointed look. Her face now turned to confusion and she looked about.

“You should point her out. I’ll give you my opinion.”

“As much as I’d love to have you do that, it’s not necessary. Come, would you like a drink?” Draco asked. He had passed his glass of champagne to a waiter when he’d begun to dance and was now in need of more liquid courage. Since he’d figured out his mother’s obvious plan, he might as well go along with it. He did want Ginevra after all. Well, he wanted a chance with her. The thought had occurred to him that should they ever actually date, they might kill each other as soon as anything else.

Ginevra nodded and he placed his hand on the small of her back, guiding her through the crowd of dancers. He grabbed two glasses and an unopened champagne bottle and continued to lead her through the room. He pushed open the French doors leading to the patio overlooking the garden.

“Come, it’s nice out. Let’s have some fresh air with our drinks.”

She looked a bit confused but continued to follow him. He led her down the steps from the patio into the garden where he found a secluded yet nicely lit portion of his mum’s Rose garden. He placed the glasses on a nearby bench and proceeded to pop the top off of the champagne. He poured them each a partial glass.

“To what should we toast?”

“I always toast to World Peace,” Ginevra remarked, shrugging.

“Oh that’s so tired, don’t you think? I know,” he began as he stepped closer to her, causing her to back up ever so slightly. He moved closer still. “We ought to toast to us.” He lifted his glass and clinked it with hers, taking a sip of the champagne.

He could see the hitch in her throat as she took in his words. “To… to us?” she questioned quietly. He looked intently down from her eyes to her lips, then back up again.

“Yes Ginevra, to us. I have a confession to make.”

When she said nothing, he continued, “When I came to your office that day, the woman I told you about… is actually you.”

He watched as her mouth dropped open. “But I… I’m not a client of....”

“Yes well, I told a bit of a lie there, didn’t I? My plan was to find out how to court a woman such as yourself and then use what I’d learned to court you. However, your disinterest was rather blatant, or so I thought. However, now I wonder…” he took her glass and Leviosaed them both back to the bench, watching her the entire time. Then, delicately placing his arms around her waist, he pulled her close to him and bent down.

xxx

Ginny felt the flutter in her chest and the surge of excitement in her head. He was going to actually kiss her this time. And he’d just confessed that he fancied her… in a roundabout way, hadn’t he? Oh what the heck? She let her eyes drift shut and parted her lips slightly as his descended.

She sighed into his mouth as he kissed her gently. Her sigh must have encouraged him, because he deepened the kiss and she responded, wrapping her arms around his neck and encouraging him to pull her more tightly to him. She was lost in the sensation of her tongue mingling with his and soft caress of his lips around hers.

When he let her go for a bit of air, he kissed her forehead and then rested his against hers. “That was more than I ever imagined it would be,” he breathed.

“You’ve imagined… kissing me?” she nearly stuttered but managed to retain her composure.

“Of course. And now that I have, I can’t imagine kissing anyone else. You’ve thought about it too, Ginevra, haven’t you?” Draco didn’t even bother to hide his small smirk.

A deep blush crept up her neck into her face. All she could do was nod and smile sheepishly.

“Then, tell me, did I do your imagination justice?”

Again, she could only nod. He smiled— an actual, genuine smile— and kissed her forehead.

“Ginevra, I know you think you know me. You think you know all about a man like me. But I’ve never known a woman like you and I’d like to be given the chance to get to know you. I’m not promising you a fairytale, but I can promise you that I will give you what I have to give. It may or may not work out, but I believe it is a chance worth taking. I couldn’t move forward with anyone else until I see how things could be with you.”

His words were so sincere and so tender she nearly melted. She had prejudged him and even after she’d gotten to know him somewhat, still held her own opinions. He deserved a fair chance and she couldn’t fight the physical attraction to him. She already knew more about him emotionally and mentally than she’d thought possible. She wanted to be happy. Why not give him the chance to make her happy and let herself make him happy in return? He was right, after all. She’d fantasized about him more than she’d ever admit and it would be hard to move forward without ever knowing.

“So, where do we go from here then?” She smiled and placed a gentle kiss to his jaw.

He grabbed her and picked her up, swinging her in a circle as he embraced her. “Well first of all, we go and find my darling mother and tell her that her plan worked.”

When he put her down, Ginny gave him a confused look.

“Don’t tell me you didn’t see straight through that plot of hers? Ginevra, you’re the professional here. She set us up. She told you not to bring anyone claiming she’d introduce you around, yet she is nowhere to be found? She requested that I not bring a date? I’m starting to suspect she is behind a rather incriminating picture surfacing in that Witch Life rag a week or so back.”

Ginny dropped her jaw, shocked that she hadn’t seen it sooner. “When do you think she—”

“Who knows? It may have been her plan all along. She’ll never confess all the details. Come Ginny, let’s tell her and then you are dancing with me until I get tired.”

“Oh really?” Ginny laughed. “What if I tire of dancing before you?”

“Then,” he began with a smile as he took her hand to lead her inside, “I’ll carry you around the dance floor.”
The End.
Maelyn is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 90 members. Members who liked The Date Doctor also liked 1784 other stories.
Leave a Review