After an unexpected attack on Hogsmeade takes the lives of several loved ones, Ginny Weasley is left with only grief as a remnant of war. But what she never anticipated, in the wake of all the tragedy, was to find her will to live again in the form of a bawling, grey-eyed baby left to die in the wreckage of battle... the baby of Draco Malfoy. REVISED VERSION.
Category: Long and Completed
Rating: Definitely Naughty
Characters: D/G Offspring, Draco Malfoy, Ginny Weasley, Hermione Granger, Lucius Malfoy, Pansy Parkinson, Ron Weasley
Compliant with: HBP and below
Era: Post-Hogwarts
Genres: Action, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Character Death
Completed: Yes
Series: None

Chapters: 21 | Word count: 170678 | Read count: 57154 | Published: Aug 28, 2006 | Updated: Sep 26, 2009
[Report This]

1. Prologue (Reviews - 12) 2347 words

Disclaimer: It's all J.K. Rowling's, except for little William Malfoy who, most unfortunately, is not pink-haired.

Well, this is my first time posting on this site. If you've read this fic on Schnoogle, I want to make it clear that this is the promised revised version. So yes, there is a completed version of this fic on FA, but it is the original version that is not compliant with the coming sequel. After I finished posting the fic on FA, I decided to make some major plot changes, because there were going to be two sequels and the plot was a complicated mess. So, this is the REVISED VERSION of The Enemy of Souls.

Also, you may note that Draco and Ginny do not actually make an appearance in this short prologue. Just read it, grit your teeth and go on to Chapter One. What happens here sets the ground work for the rest of the fic.


2. Chapter One (Reviews - 5) 6824 words

Disclaimer: It's all J.K. Rowling's, except for little William Malfoy who, most unfortunately, is not pink-haired.

Again, this is the REVISED version of this fic. It was originally posted on FA.

Also, I forgot to mention in the prologue something I'd like to clear up, because I know it caused some confusion in the past- the battle at Hogsmeade, which happened five years prior to the start of this story (at the end of what would have been Harry's seventh year of school) is not the battle referenced at the end of the summary, the 'wreckage of battle' where Ginny supposedly finds a baby. That battle has yet to take place.


3. Chapter Two (Reviews - 4) 5391 words

Thanks very much to those who reviewed; your comments are extremely appreciated.

I'm not sure how soon the next chapter will be out, simply because I'm leaving very early Friday morning for college, and I probably won't have internet access until Saturday or even Sunday. But, there are almost no changes I need to make to the chapter, so possibly I can have it up tomorrow.

Also, you can check my livejournal for update notices and cookies. http://littlebit-liz.livejournal.com

4. Chapter Three (Reviews - 10) 5499 words

Whew, so I'm finally moved in at college and all, so here's the next chapter! Thanks so much to everyone who reviewed; I really appreciate your comments and criticism. Next chapter could take more than a few days, because there's quite a few changes to be made.

5. Chapter Four (Reviews - 4) 6144 words

There are no words to convey how truly sorry I am for not updating in months- and I mean months. I really have no excuse; basically, I just stopped writing when college started this year, because everything was so new and hectic. Now that things are finally settled down, I've managed to get back to this. Let me just say that I never abandon a fic once I've started it, no matter how long I go without updating. So hopefully, those of you who were interested in reading this fic still are.

To answer a question, let me just say that Harry, sadly, will not really make another appearance in this fic; he'll return in the sequel, and we'll find out then what happened with him and Daphne.

I feel like not a lot happens in this chapter, because originally there was more content, but it was turning out too long so I cut it in half. Anyway, enjoy.



6. Chapter Five (Reviews - 9) 6383 words

So, remember how I said the last chapter and this chapter were supposed to be one, butit got too long so I split it into two? Well, it actually ended up being so long it's been split into three chapters. So last chapter, and this chapter, and next chapter were originally all supposed to be one chapter. Yikes.

Just so you know, you can check out my livejournal- http://littlebit-liz.livejournal.com- for cookies and progress updates. I post there as well, but not necessarily earlier than on this site.

7. Chapter Six (Reviews - 5) 5332 words

All right, so this one took me about a week. A week's not bad, right?

Again, you can check out my lj for updates and cookies: http://littlebit-liz.livejournal.com. Feel free to add me to keep updated.

8. Chapter Seven (Reviews - 9) 7922 words

This is one of my favorite chapters, so I hope you like it too. A note on Lucius Malfoy- after this chapter, it may seem like I'm characterizing him as the typical DE dad who doesn't care about Malfoy and is crazy about serving the Dark Lord. I really don't see Lucius that way at all; that's just how Ginny sees him currently. I have big plans for daddy Malfoy though, in the long run of this fic and its sequel, and there will be more depth to him.

This chapter is quite long, and most of it's just talk, but it's D/G talk, so hopefully you'll like it.

9. Chapter Eight (Reviews - 2) 6513 words

Hello readers! Erm, so, I'm back. I did say that I wouldn't ever abandon this fic. I just...let it go for a couple years. Anyway, whether you're still, by some miracle, an older reader following this fic, or a new reader, I hope you enjoy this chapter. I do intend to now continue and finish this fic (updating on a regular basis), but I guess I should make no promises, as I've learned in the past.

If you want to stay updated on my progress with this fic and get some cookies for future chapters, you can follow my livejournal: http://littlebit-liz.livejournal.com. Feel free to add me, but know I won't add you back unless you comment somewhere to let me know.

10. Chapter Nine (Reviews - 3) 6633 words

Well, I managed to get these next couple of chapters done pretty quickly. Once again, if you'd like to stay updated or find some cookies for future chapters, you can check out my livejournal: http://littlebit-liz.livejournal.com.

Since it's been a while, I just wanted to remind everyone that this fic is compliant through HBP. I have tried to make it compliant with DH in small ways, as much as I can, but it really can't be fully compliant with DH, since the whole premise of this fic is based on the fact that Voldemort isn't dead yet. So I consider it compliant with DH up to a certain point.

11. Chapter Ten (Reviews - 2) 7089 words

Just a reminder, I got two chapers submitted at once this time, so on the offchance you just clicked on the latest chapter (meaning this one) be sure you've read the previous one first.

12. Chapter Eleven (Reviews - 5) 8813 words

Well, here is the next monster of a chapter. It's a bit of a strange chapter - it went in a bit of a different direction then I had originally intended - but it's enjoyable, I think.

If you want to stay updated with this fic's progress, or find some cookies for future chapters, feel free to follow my lj at http://littlebit-liz.livejournal.com.

13. Chapter Twelve (Reviews - 4) 12813 words

This chapter turned out way longer than I expected. So long, in fact, that I considered splitting it into two, but I decided against it. Who doesn’t like long chapters, right?

By the way, just wanted to confirm that Ginny has yet to get her memory back from that day in the Ministry. I slipped up a little in the last chapter and had her mention something about remembering how Draco jumped in front of Hermione to take that Stunning Spell, which Morgan Amanda was kind enough to point out to me (thanks!). So, yes, she still doesn’t remember that day at all. Just thought I should address that since it hasn’t really been mentioned lately (though it will be in future chapters).

14. Chapter Thirteen (Reviews - 5) 10692 words

Thanks to everyone who left reviews! I really appreciate the feedback. This chapter is rather angsty, though from here on out, the rest of the fic isn't as, er...riddled with deaths, I should say.

As always, feel free to check out my livejournal (http://littlebit-liz.livejournal.com) for updates and cookies.

15. Chapter Fourteen (Reviews - 6) 8717 words

Thanks to everyone who reviewed! This chapter is a bit weird, because of what Ginny is going through in it, so I hope it all makes sense. It's supposed to be a bit surrealist, but I don't want anything to be confusing.

I don't usually do this playlist thing, but while I was writing this chapter, I listened to one particular song on repeat a lot, because it fits what Ginny's going through really well. It's called 'Bring On the Wonder' by Susan Enan. If you watch the show Bones it's used several times there. Anyway, good song, you should check it out.

16. Chapter Fifteen (Reviews - 1) 10256 words

Apologies about this chapter taking so long; I meant to have it posted a week ago! I always get anxious when I go longer than I meant to without posting, because I sometimes joke that my readers have abandonment issues, since I stopped writing this fic for about two and a half years.

I don't name my chapters, but if I did, this one would be called EPIC FORESHADOWING. Just about everything that happens in this chapter is foreshadowing something to come. I'll leave it to your to figure out what, exactly.

Anyway, for those of you who were excited about getting Draco’s POV, this chapter is almost entirely from his POV. Except for a small bit at the end. So I hope you enjoy it. Oh, and those of you wanted a longer kissing scene…I think you’ll find something you like in this chapter. *hint hint*

17. Chapter Sixteen (Reviews - 11) 13158 words

Thanks for all the reviews! I'd like to remind everyone that I often have cookies and updates for upcoming chapters on my LJ: http://littlebit-liz.livejournal.com.

Well, this chapter is kind of the beginning of the end, the first chapter where everything we've been leading up to begins to come together. So, er, enjoy!

18. Chapter Seventeen (Reviews - 3) 12416 words

Sorry there was a bit of a delay with this chapter; I had to get all moved in and settled here in Los Angeles.

I had expected there to be a bit more action in this chapter, but it turned out more transitional. Still, some things are revealed here, so I think it's fairly exciting.

19. Chapter Eighteen (Reviews - 5) 12358 words

Well, I finally got the original version of this fic deleted over at Schnoogle! And I apologize to anyone who liked the original or wanted to read it, but with the revised version up, I didn’t want the original hanging around. This new version is much better, in my opinion (writing, character, and plot-wise), and anyway, the original is not compliant with the coming sequel. And I didn’t want anyone getting confused. I probably will post this revised version back on Schnoogle, though.

Speaking of the original, for those of you that have read it, don’t jump to any conclusions about what the Death Eaters do to Ginny, per Lucius’ suggestion. It was made very clear in the original version, but it’s not quite the same now, so. Just wanted to let those of y’all know.

20. Chapter Nineteen (Reviews - 1) 11711 words

Here is the final chapter and the epilogue! Yes, this fic is now complete. I kind of can’t believe it. I mean, when I started this fic, I was just going into college, and now I’m in my last semester of college. That’s nuts. Anyhow, I just want to say a big thanks to everyone who has ever read and reviewed this fic, even if you were reading it when it began three years ago and never got the chance to stick around and finish it.

21. Epilogue (Reviews - 15) 3667 words

Just a reminder, I posted the last chapter and the epilogue together, so if you haven’t read Chapter Nineteen, be sure you do.

And lastly, the epilogue; it’s quite short. This epilogue ties up one or two loose ends, though it also opens a few more, to set things up for the sequel fic. I meant to wait a bit before starting on the sequel, but I’m so excited that I can’t. So maybe keep a look out for it in this coming week. It will be entitled Economy of the Heart.

Speaking of titles, now you know why this fic was named as it is. The title is from a quote by Dwan Jacobsen Young, and it's a quote that I felt pertained to one of the themes of the story, mostly to Ginny’s theme, to the struggle she goes through in this story. If you felt like this story focused more on Ginny, that’s because I consider The Enemy of Souls to be more her story than Draco’s. Likewise, Economy of the Heart will be more Draco’s story than Ginny’s.