Disclaimer: I own nothing except, Haven and the plot.


A/N: I promise that there’s a plot, you just have to watch. It all starts with little Haven.



Heroes Shed No Tears
Part II – A Welcome Haven

By VirtualFaerie





She walked along the dusty road, peering at the canvas tents as she went by. There were old men and women sitting outside of them looking at her sadly. She continued down and saw small children playing in the dirt, covered from head to foot in white dust and grimy mud. Mothers were cooking over fires and fathers weren’t even present at the camp. They couldn’t be there no matter how much they wanted to.


She reached the water pump and retied her hair back in its kerchief, then filled her bucket with water to take back to her tent. Going back the same way that she came she walked inside of the tent that she shared with her mother and two wounded brothers. Her mother was sitting at a makeshift wooden table, silent and not doing anything. Her brothers were lying on their beds staring up at the canvas ceiling. She set the bucket down and got out a bowl and filled it with some of the water. She went to each of her brother’s beds and cleaned them with the water.


There wasn’t much that she could do anymore. She used to be a prominent healer, but now people didn’t want to be healed, they wanted to die so they wouldn’t have to keep living the life that had fallen to them. It took all the strength that she had left to keep her brothers alive, it had been a long time since her father died, and she could do nothing for her mother. Her mother had fallen into a pit of despair and never came out of her dream-like state.


“Ginny…” one of her brothers croaked.


She turned to look at him, “Yes?”


“Where’s Hermione?” Ginny looked sadly at her brother Ron. There was nothing that he could do for Hermione anymore. They had loved each other but there hadn’t been time for a marriage after they got out of Hogwarts. Ron had joined the war effort with Harry to defeat Voldemort. But things hadn’t actually turned out the way they thought they would. The death eaters and Voldemort won. Now most of the wizarding population, minus the death eaters, were living in refugee camps, or ruined cities.


It took all of the strength of the remaining aurors and ministry officials to cast the invisibility charms over all of the camps to keep them from muggle eyes. There was nothing to be done now, it was either live in misery or become a dark supporter. The Weasley family would never go to the dark side; therefore they remained at the godforsaken camp.


“Ron, you know Hermione is researching at Hogwarts,” Ginny said quietly. In reality Ginny didn’t even know if Hogwarts was still standing. The death eaters were catching owls in mid-air and there was no way for them to communicate anymore.


“What about Harry?”


“I don’t know Ron, there’s no way of knowing where anyone is.” Her throat felt like it had a lump in it. She was restraining tears because she knew where none of her family was, besides her mother, Ron and Percy, who were with her. “Please don’t ask me any more,” she said hoarsely as she reached up to hold onto the silver dragon pendant that was hanging around her neck. It was the only piece of jewelry she had.


Ron fell silent and Ginny walked out of the tent and sat outside. There was dust blowing in the wind giving everything a rusty colored tinge. Ginny didn’t know where Harry was, or her other brothers. Sometimes she thought that it was better that way, to wonder and not know the truth. The truth could be far more terrible than she ever imagined.


Some say that Harry disappeared after the final show down with Voldemort, that he never died; he escaped and was waiting to get stronger before he would try to take him on again. Others say he died and all hope was lost. Most people thought there was nothing to live for now that the New Ministry was building its power with Voldemort at its head.


Ginny sighed and looked up just in time to see a small blond headed boy limping her way. She hadn’t seen him before in the camp. The boy had tears trickling down his cheeks, and he was clutching a small brown teddy bear to his side; the bear was missing an eye and an arm. Just from looking at him Ginny could feel the tears welling up in her eyes for him. She knew that she should take him in, seeing no parents. But there was little food in the camp to begin with. One more boy was going to keep them all starved. She shook her head; it was no use thinking like that. It was selfish.


She got up and walked over to the small boy and stopped in front of him. He looked up at her with big liquid grey eyes and shook as if he was scared. She knelt before him. “What’s your name?” she asked gently.


The little boy’s lower lip trembled and he held his teddy closer, “H-Haven.” Ginny smiled how perfect his name was. Haven, maybe he would bring them luck. His robes caught her eye. They weren’t the cheap kind that every other refugee was clad in. They were merely very filthy expensive robes. Not only were they quality robes, but they were black. The refugees wore butternut colored robes because there wasn’t enough money for dye anymore.


“Where is your mommy? Your daddy?” Ginny asked, her curiosity growing.


“I don’t have a mommy,” Haven said softly. “My daddy said that I would be safe here.” He looked up at her, his eyes pleading.


“How old are you?” Ginny said, inclining her head.


“Seven,” he said, taking a step closer to her. The wind blew his slightly longer than normal hair around his face, and his large grey eyes were warm yet calculating. Ginny could tell that he was trying to decide if she was safe or not.


Ginny held her arms out to Haven, and he looked at her hesitantly before stepping into them. She hugged the small boy to her, trying to reassure him and herself that everything was going to be alright. Haven wrapped his arms around her neck and held on tightly. Ginny smoothed his hair with her fingers and whispered into his hair, “I’ll take good care of you.”


Haven stepped back and looked at her happily, smiling a half-smiled. “Thank you.”


Ginny shook her head, “It’s nothing. Now let’s get you inside and cleaned up. We need to see what we can do about that limp.”


Looking at his leg he announced, “I fell. My daddy was trying to save me from a mean wizard and I hurted my leg.” The little leg had ripped robes hanging around it, and was covered with dried mud. Ginny smiled and thought of how cute the little boy was. She walked him inside of the tent to clean him off.


A man standing out of sight, in black robes, content with what he saw, disappeared.




Inside the tent, Ginny was wiping Haven down with a washcloth. He had little cuts all over his body and it made her eyes well up with tears to see them. The poor boy had probably been through more than he should have. All of the kids still alive had been thought more than they should have. They had lost their happy childhood. It had been ripped away from them and they would never know what might have been, or what true happiness was. But maybe it was better for them to not know, to think that this was as good as it got. They didn’t need to know there was better and that they were missing the best years of their life in refugee camps that held no promise.


Haven stood still, and looked at Ginny’s brothers, who were lying on their beds watching the small boy. Ron had sort of scowl on his face and Percy was smiling slightly. For once Molly wasn’t sitting doing nothing. She was also watching the boy with rapt attention. There was something about the boy that demanded attention. But Molly also had a soft look in her eye as if she was remembering something. The corners of her mouth were upturned slightly, and her face was glazed over happily.


“Mum?” Ginny asked. “Are you alright?”


Molly smiled at Ginny, “Just fine dear. I’m feeling better.” Ginny’s eyebrows shot up. Her mother had been in a depression for the past month ever since she had found out that Arthur died and had heard no word from her other sons. “Just fine, now can you tell me about this little boy here?”


“Uh-His name is Haven. I found him. He said his father said that he would be safe here,” Ginny said, rubbing Haven down with a towel before slipping a clean robe over his head.


“He’s such a cute boy, and what an inspiring name,” Molly said looking at the boy with a mother-like love in her eyes. Ginny knew that having Haven around was going to improve her mother’s condition, but Ginny felt like for some reason that she had a special bond with Haven. She didn’t know what it was but she felt like Haven was hers; like her own son. She was old enough to have one. Maybe not one that was seven years old but still, she felt like she should be his mother. He needed one now that he didn’t have his father anymore. Or at least she thought he didn’t have his father anymore.


“Haven?” Ginny started. “Is your dad coming back for you?”

v
Haven heaved his small shoulders and sighed, “I don’t know. He said that he would come back.” He held onto his teddy bear then peered back up at her curiously. “What’s your name?”


Ginny grinned, “I’m Ginny.”


“Hi, Ginny,” Haven said shyly.


“Do you want me to take you to meet the other kids?” Ginny asked looking through a basket to see if there were any old shoes in it that would fit Haven. His were tattered and worn. She found some old shoes of Ron’s and handed them to him, “Put those on.”


Haven sat down on the floor and pulled the shoes on slowly, tying the laces carefully. His soft hair fell into his eyes and he blew them out of the way. He finished and looked back up at Ginny, “They’re coming here you know.”


Ginny’s brows furrowed, “Who?”


“The New Ministry, my daddy told me,” Haven said, getting up off of the ground. “He said that a man named Zabini was going to be the official guy around here to do stuff.”


Ginny frowned, “What kind of stuff?”


Haven shrugged, “My dad said something about making sure people didn’t get too much food. He also said some stuff about Resistance, but I don’t know what that is.” He kicked a clod of dirt and looked back up at Ginny expectantly. But Ginny was looking at Ron with wide eyes.


“Ron,” she said, a lump growing in her throat, a lump of fear.


“I heard,” he said from his bed. “They won’t do anything to us though. I don’t think. They just want support.”


Ginny sighed and sank down into one of the rickety wooden chairs. She pushed some of her hair out of her face and looked down at the ground. She was one of the youngest healthy people in the camp, it was hard on the people living there, and it was going to be even harder with the New Ministry officials policing them. How was anyone supposed to eat now? There was hardly enough food as it was, but now that they were going to be there, there would be even less food.


Okay, she told herself, no more moping; you need to tell everyone before they get here. She got up off of her chair and reached for Haven’s hand. “Come on, I’ll take you around camp to meet everyone. I’m sure they’ll be delighted to meet you.”


Ginny took Haven with her while she told everyone that the New Ministry was coming and that they needed to be ready. They weren’t going to try to fight the New Ministry but they needed to wary of them when they came. The war was supposedly over and they weren’t supposed to be hurting anymore people. The people that were dying and sick now were that way because of lack of food and all of the dust in the air. No one knew where all the dust was coming from but the elders said that it was coming from all of the death.


On their way back to the tent Ginny stopped to pick some large magenta colored flowers that looked sort of like daisies. Haven watched her then started picking some with her; soon they had at least four handfuls. Ginny smiled at him, “Thanks.”


Haven shrugged shyly, “What are these for?”


“Medicine,” said Ginny. “These are called Echinacea, they can be used for cuts…like the ones that you have, and infections, also some other things, but that’s what I use them for. I’ve got to make a medicine for my brothers and clean up those cuts that you have, and this’ll do the trick.”


“Wow,” Haven said amazedly, looking down at the flowers. “I didn’t know that pretty flowers could be used to help people.”


She smiled at him, “They can.”


When they got back to the tent, Molly was standing over a fire that had a large pot sitting over it. She was stirring occasionally and giving it suspicious glances. “Mum, what are you making?” Ginny asked, laying the flowers down on the table.


“Lentil soup, it’s all we have.” She said stirring some more.


“Lentils?” Percy called from his bed. Ginny scowled in his direction, “All we ever have is lentils. It’s a wonder that we haven’t died yet from lack of nutrition.”


“No one could die around here with you taking care of them, Ginny,” Ron said. “You’ve got the golden touch.”


She smiled at Ron. She had worked her hardest to keep everyone alive, it was her mission to help people and she never tired of feeding someone from the side of their bed, or cooling someone’s forehead during a fevered sleep. She always had her flowers and herbs to make medicines since all of her other’s were confiscated after they were captured by the death eaters. They had spared her because there was a shortage of medics on both sides and they knew that Ginny wouldn’t turn anyone away from her sick bed, regardless of which side they were on. She didn’t like wasted human life. It made her sick to her stomach thinking about dying, that’s why she worked so hard to keep people alive.


She ground the Echinacea and mixed it with water. She had Haven take off his robes again and she rubbed the mixture on all of his cuts, wincing each time she had to touch one. Seeing the cuts on his small body hurt her. She couldn’t understand how people would out children through all the horrors of the bloody war.



Pops sounded on the outskirts of the camp, and men in bright green robes assemble together marching into the camp bright and early in the morning. “New Ministry!” a shrill voice declared, cutting into the peaceful morning and depriving the people of their serenity. “New Ministry!” All the people came out of the tents and watched the green robes march down the small dusty roads that went in-between the tents. The children clutched their mother’s legs and the old people huddled together with fearful eyes. As they passed the people could see the dark mark on the back of each green robe, staring at them horrifyingly.


Ginny stepped out of her tent with Haven, who was holding her hand and shook like a leaf as the New Ministry passed. Then a tall man passed them, with dark black hair and black glittering eyes. He wore a silver robe, emblazoned with a gigantic dark mark on the back. Ginny guessed that he was Zabini. “Listen up town!” He shouted, “We’re setting up camp here and we’re going to regulate this place. No more free reign. You are under the New Ministry now.” His voice boomed out. Within seconds there was a large stone structure standing in the middle of the camp near the water pump. “You must all abide by our rules now.” He turned and he robes flew out around him as he walked into the cold, haunting building.


Going back into the tent, Ginny saw Ron sitting up in his bed. “I’ve got to go get Harry,” he said forcefully.


Ginny shook her head, “Ron, you don’t even know if he’s still alive.”


He gave her a cutting look, “I know he is; I can feel it.”


“You still can’t get out of bed, you aren’t strong enough,” she pushed him back down and covered him up. “You need rest if you’re ever going to get better.”


Ron rolled his eyes, “Have I ever told you that sometimes you’re worse than Madam Pomfrey?”


Ginny chose to ignore that statement and shoved a spoon full of medicine in his mouth and smiled at he made a face. “Want some water?” she asked sweetly.


“Hell yeah,” he said, his face puckered up like he had just eaten a lemon.


“Watch your mouth,” Percy said from his bed.


“Oh shut it!” Ron said irritably.




The next week the whole camp was literally lined up in front of the small stone castle that the New Ministry had built. They were all waiting to get their week’s supply of lentils and weekly vegetables. Ginny was standing in line with Haven, representing her tent. Haven was holding her hand a fidgeting about nervously.


Ginny had started worrying about him, the past three nights that he had been with them he had woken up in the middle of the night shouting, “Daddy! Daddy! Please don’t let them take me! Daddy!” He would be sobbing and shaking and Ginny would have to hold him and whisper in his ear until he fell asleep again in her arms. Every time that he would scream out like that her heart would leap.


When they finally reached the table where the officials were giving out the food a woman sitting at the table with white hair said, “Name.”


“Weasley,” Ginny said shortly.


The woman glanced up at her; her nose wrinkled disgustedly, “Down at the end.”


They walked down to the end of the table and a short man with graying hair handed them a small sack of lentils and four carrots. He gave them a greasy smile allowing all of his rotting teeth to show, “Happy eating,” he said cruelly. Haven clutched Ginny’s arm closer as the moved out of they crowd.


Back at the tent, Ginny set the food down on the table, “They’re giving us less food.”


“What a surprise,” Ron said sarcastically. Molly sat at the table and looked at the food disappointedly.


“Did we just get lentils? Please tell me it isn’t just lentils, I’ll die.” Percy whined.


Ginny smiled a false bright smile, “Oh!” she clapped her hands together, “they were so generous to give us FOUR carrots too.”


“Augh!” Ron groaned, “I hate carrots.”


“Too bad, that’s all we have,” Ginny said rolling her eyes at him.


Ron looked down at his hands, “Harry’s alive,” he said quietly. “I can feel it.” Everyone had their eyes on him, because everyone wanted Harry to be alive. With Harry alive there was hope. Hope was what the people needed.


No one said anything; there wasn’t anything to say



Later while Ginny was trying to scrounge up a suitable dinner with Molly, the wind started blowing furiously and the tents flaps blew open. Ginny went to tie them shut when a man walked in the door, his robes flying around him wilding. Haven’s eyes widened, “DADDY!” He shouted, and ran towards the man. Ginny’s hand flew up to her neck to grasp the silver chain that was there.



A/N: Cues drumroll. Well guys, that’s part one, and I know that it was a little slow, but bare with me, I promise that part two will be better and filled with mystery. I bet you guys are wondering who Haven’s father is. I bet some of you have even guess and some have guessed correctly. Who is the man that Haven just called Daddy. Is it really even his daddy? What role does his father play in the next part? What role does that man play in the next part? Stay tuned to find out.



Please review.
Leave a Review