Disclaimer: I solemnly swear that I don't own anything...but Haven.


Heroes Shed No Tears
Part V

By VirtualFaerie


“Harry,” Ginny exclaimed while jerking backwards. She gazed up at his green eyes in surprise. “What was that for?” She put her head in her hands, “I can’t believe you just did that.”

“I’m sorry,” he said. Ginny studied him for a moment, his eyes were sincere and that would have to do. “I don’t know what came over me. You just looked so…lovely with the moonlight shining on your face, and you seemed so happy.”

Ginny sighed, “I…It’s okay. Just, please try to refrain from kissing me so…suddenly. You surprised me.”

Harry looked sheepish, “Does that mean I can do it again?—If I ask?”

Coughs came from the opening of the tent. Draco stood there, an eyebrow raised, watching them, amusement flashing in his eyes. “Well now,” he said smoothly. “This wasn’t exactly what I was expecting to see.” Ginny blushed and saw Harry stiffen next to her. “But I didn’t come out here to insult you, if that’s what you were thinking,” he smirked. He looked straight at Ginny, “Do you think you could give me some more of whatever it was you gave me last night to ease the pain?” Ginny noticed that he winced when his weight shifted over to his hurt leg.

“Oh, right, I’m sorry,” she rushed into the tent and rustled in her trunk for the medicine.


~*~

Draco stood in front of the New Ministry building, his black, death eater robes billowing out around him in the wind. It had been two days since the Weasley twins had arrived with Longbottom and he had to pay a visit to Zabini before he left. He left Haven with Ginny, he hadn’t really wanted to, but he didn’t see what it would hurt considering that he had been with Ginny the whole time that he couldn’t take care of him.

He raked his fingers through his hair as he stepped into the building, cool air rushing towards him. He suppressed a shiver and walked to the front desk. The woman at the front desk looked up at him with cold black eyes. “I have an appointment…” he left his sentence hanging in the air as he looked at her.

“Fancy meeting you here,” he said calm as you please.

She stared up at him unblinkingly, “Well, Malfoy, you’re a little worse for wear.” She said studying the lines on his face noticeably.

“I could say the same about you,” he sneered, noticing that there were gray streaks in her hair.

“Left hall, second door to the left,” she spat. He whirled around and stalked off down the hall.

He walked into the room without knocking to find Zabini lounging back in his chair, feet propped up on his desk and hands behind his head. “You have Lestrange here,” Draco said.

Zabini looked at Draco, “Yes. She’s quite an efficient secretary.” Zabini took his feet off of the desk. “Mathilde is getting on your nerves already? You haven’t even been here five minutes.” His eyes danced as he smiled.

“She always does, and you know it. I don’t even know why you bother to ask,” Draco said dropping down into one of the chairs in front of Zabini’s desk.

“Well you got rid of her a long time ago. I thought maybe bygones were bygones.”

“Hardly, and I didn’t get rid of her; she was too irresponsible; I left.” Draco said rolling his eyes.

“Sure, sure,” Zabini said waving him off. “But, to business.” Zabini pulled some parchment out of his desk. “You know that this is going to be headquarters?” Draco nodded. “We need you to go the company that’s in east London.” He sighed, “We’ve got a few dingbats that are even catching our owls out of midair.”

Draco smirked, “Why don’t you just brand our owls, that way they know to release them?”

Zabini snorted, “Right oh, you’re a smart one, Malfoy. I don’t know why one of us hasn’t thought of that before.” Probably because you’re all idiots, Draco thought. Zabini rubbed the bridge of his nose, “I’ll get Parkinson to show you the map. So you’ll know exactly where they are.”

Zabini called Pansy into the office and told her to take Draco into the maps room. He followed her up three flights of stairs until they finally stopped at a room at the very end of the hall on the fourth floor. She batted her eyes at him as she opened the door with her key. “I’m one of the official keepers of the maps,” she said proudly.

“Quite impressive,” Draco said flatly. She led him into the room and on the back wall there was a gigantic map of England. All the death eater camps where marked with red dots, and the new Head Quarters was marked with a big black “X”.

“This,” she said sticking out a bright pink taloned finger. “Is where the company in East London is stationed.” She moved the finger across the map and pointed to the big “X” that very clearly stated, in blue ink, that it was “HQ”. “This is where we are. Now,” she explained slowly, “We need you to get the company from here in East London,” the talon moved across the map and rested on the big “X”, “to here”.

Draco blinked at her stupidity, but found himself saying, “Of course,” in the most neutral tone possible under these sorts of circumstances.

She beamed at him, “Very good.” Draco had an itch in his hand to slap her. Then she sighed and looked at him sadly, “I have to go to a meeting, but I’ll have Millicent show you the way down.” He was about to growl that he could find the way out by himself, but Pansy had already left. A very large Millicent now stood in the doorway smiling dumbly at him.

“Hello, Draco,” she boomed mindlessly.

“Hi,” he said miserably.

Once they were out in the sunlight again, Millicent winked at him. “See you around,” she said and strode back into the building.

“Good Gods, I’m glad that’s over,” Draco said sighing loudly after he was a good ways down the path. He slipped into the trees and pulled his hood up before he stepped back out again. It would ruin everything if he let anyone see him, a Malfoy, walking into a Weasley’s tent.

He pulled back the flaps and stepped in and was almost plowed over by his son. Draco caught Haven in his arms and hugged him closely. “Daddy!” Haven said excitedly. “Guess what! Guess what!” he said bobbing up and down in his father’s arms.

Draco smiled at him, “What?”

“Ginny made me a cape!” he wriggled out of Draco’s arms and ran towards his bed. Draco frowned at Ginny, whom had her back turned to him, working on something near the fireplace. Haven swept a butternut colored cape off of the bed and tied it around his neck. “See?”
“That’s very nice, son,” Draco said his lips curving up into a warm smile. “Did you say thank you?”

Haven nodded, “Yes, sir.”

“That’s a good boy,” said Draco, pleased.

“Good Merlin,” Ron breathed from his bed, “I swear, Hell has frozen over.” Draco scowled at him.

“Shut up, Weasley,” he snapped glaring menacingly at Ron.

“Now, now,” Ginny said absently. “No fighting…. And no cursing, Ron.” Ron rolled his eyes and flopped back in his bed sighing loudly.

There was a small explosion from Fred and George’s corner of the tent. They looked up a grinned unabashedly, “Whoops little backfire there.”

Neville was sitting on his cot watching Ginny. “When do you think that we’re going to leave?”

Draco looked at him sharply, “Didn’t we discuss this already?” He didn’t wait for an answer. “We’re leaving tomorrow, before dawn if possible.”

Harry glanced at Draco and frowned, “Did we say how we were going to go about carrying Ron and Percy?”

Percy looked up quickly as he heard the twins start to chuckle. “Weightless floating charms should work,” Draco said shortly.

“They,” Percy said pointing at the twins, “Aren’t going to be casting any charms on me.”

“Don’t be so picky,” Draco smirked at Percy. “You’ll get whoever can bloody well take you.”

“Mouth,” Ginny reminded, patting Haven’s head idly. He had crawled up into her lap and was resting his head on her with his eyes closed, trying to take a nap.

“Of course we’ll take you,” Fred said, his eyes shining mischievously. “We’re as Malfoy says, ‘bloody well able to’.”

“Yeah, come on,” George goaded. “You aren’t afraid now are you?”

Percy sniffed at them. “Of course not, I just think you’re to irresponsible to handle another person.”

“Ouch,” George put his hand on his heart, “That hurt Percy.”

“Yeah,” said Fred, “Real deep.”

“Would you all shut up?” Draco snapped. “You’re giving me a bloody headache.”

“You know,” Ginny said looking up, “I’ve got a bar of soap over here that would do a nice job of cleaning out that mouth of yours.”

“What?” Draco’s eyebrows slammed together. “Bloody isn’t a bad word.”

“Maybe so,” she said mildly. “But it isn’t a word you need to be saying around Haven.”

Draco looked at Haven, no trace of malice on his face. “But he’s asleep.”

“It doesn’t matter.”

~*~

Ginny put all the labeled bags of herbs in her bag. She had spent the whole other day on organizing them all, while the men were arguing. There were a few other knick knacks that they had salvaged from the Burrow that she pack in her bag as well, but pretty much everything else in the tent could stay, it wasn’t like they’d need it once they got to Hogwarts.

She filled two sacks with even portions of lentils and squash (vegetable of the week). Everyone else was still sleeping while she did this. She had figured that it would be good to be ready to go when everyone else got up so that they wouldn’t have to do a lot of waiting around.

After she was finished, she sat down on one of the chairs at the small table and massaged her temples with her fingers. “You’re quick,” said someone behind her. She turned around to see who it was. Draco.

“I couldn’t sleep,” she said. “I thought I should make myself useful.”

“As useful as a Weasley can be,” he said snidely, yet under his breath.

She gave him a look, “You know, that attitude of yours isn’t going to help us get anything accomplished as a team.”

“Who said we were a team?” Draco scoffed.

Ginny groaned, “I don’t know why I even bother to try and have a conversation with you.” She shook her head, “It’s pointless; everything you say is mean and nasty.” She looked over at Haven who was still lying asleep in their bed. His white blond hair framed his face like a halo and his mouth was puckered up in a twisted smile.

Ginny grinned, “I wonder what he’s dreaming.”

Draco looked over at Haven softly, “I hope it’s something nice.”

Ginny shook her head again but didn’t say anything. She saw Harry move around in his bed restlessly. He finally flopped himself over on his back and stared at the ceiling of the tent with his eyes blinking rapidly, adjusting to the light. He looked over and saw that Ginny and Draco were sitting at the table.

“You two up already?”

“Couldn’t sleep,” they both said at the same time. Draco glared at her and Ginny rolled her eyes. Harry couldn’t help but grin.

Harry looked at the others, “Do you think that we should get them up?”

Ginny shrugged, “I don’t see what harm it could do. The sooner we leave the better.”

Thirty minutes later, they all snuck out of the tent. Percy and Ron were floating in front of Harry and Neville while Fred and Ginny carried the food sacks. Haven was silent as he held onto Draco’s hand, his eyes darting at all of the shadows, pressing himself closer. Molly was holding George’s hand as he followed Draco who was leading the whole group to the small stream where they could break the ward, and escape.
Leave a Review