“Narcissa Malfoy!”

The lady of the manor smiled when she saw the russet-haired head in the fireplace of her personal parlor.

“Good morning, Molly,” she replied, taking a seat in the armchair closest to the fireplace.

“To you, as well, Narcissa.” Molly Weasley grinned broadly at her. “You’re well, I hope?”

“Much, much better than I used to be. Thank you for asking.”

None of their children knew that the two women were friends before their respective marriages. The Prewetts and the Blacks had always been close, even if the Malfoys and Weasleys were always at each other’s throats. Lucius Malfoy’s death gave Molly and Narcissa the opportunity to renew their friendship.

“Ginny Flooed us this morning,” Molly now advised Narcissa. “She arrived in Japan safely and has joined Draco in Kyôto.”

“She’s staying with him?” Narcissa asked.

“Yes, at his flat in the wizarding section of Kamigyo.” Molly frowned slightly. “You know, I don’t really approve of this staying together whilst they’re still unmarried.”

“I don’t see why you shouldn’t,” Narcissa chided her. “They’re happier together.” She remembered Draco’s moody letters and Floo conversations during his first month away. He really was happier with Ginny. “Besides, they’ll be formally married, soon.”

“I know,” Molly relented. “Still, I can’t help but get all emotional. Ginny is my only girl, you know.”

“The feeling is mutual, Molly dear.” Narcissa smiled. “Draco’s my only child. Despite knowing that he’s a man and not a boy, I do cry myself to sleep sometimes over my baby. They’ll always be babies to us, no matter how old they are.”

“How true!” Molly regarded her friend sympathetically. “You look so lonely, Narcissa darling.”

“I am,” Narcissa sighed. “With Lucius dead and Draco abroad, there’s just me and the servants in this huge house.” She made no mention of the other society queens she met when her husband was alive. Deep in her heart, she hated them all; they were no friends of hers.

“Come over for tea at four today,” Molly invited her. “My house isn’t a grand showplace like yours, but it’s cozy and you won’t feel so lonely. Besides, we can start talking about the wedding plans.”

“Thanks, Molly. It’ll be a pleasure to come.”

Molly grinned impishly. “I’ll do you a cream tea if you’re up to it,” she said.

Narcissa smirked back, rather devilishly delighted. Lucius forbade her such treats when he was alive, saying it was no indulgence for a lady of high station. She saw no point in following such a prohibition now he was gone.

“Molly Prewett-Weasley, you’d better have Thunder and Lightning when I get there!”

***

The sign mounted over the door was a tastefully traditional one done up with cherry wood and silver ideograms, silent testimony to the establishment’s reputation.

Musubiya Seifuku was one of Asia’s most respected wedding shops. It was also one of the oldest, the business spanning as far back as the 11th Century. The shop and the clan that ran it were responsible for the most amazing weddings – magical and Muggle – the region had ever seen. From the simplest ceremonies to the most opulent of receptions, they did everything with finesse, passion, and a whole lot of class.

Moreover, the matchmakers who called the shots had the highest success rate of matches and marriages in the world. The Clan’s musubiya-tachi had a reputation for relentlessness and ruthlessness when it came to looking for destined pairs. Few dared to trifle with them; time had proven that it was a dreadful thing to cross any member of the Seifuku family. Hell, even their Squibs got everything right.

Shinju, Jinkei, and Chigiri Seifuku were the foremost members of the current generation. Shinju, the eldest, also held the current position of Kyôto’s foremost musubiya.

Ginny studied this young witch with the exalted reputation as they made their bows of greeting. The musubiya was a good friend of Amihan’s as the two of them had worked together in the United States some years ago.

Shinju was only twenty-three, but her sharp brown eyes spoke of wisdom beyond her years. She wore Muggle clothing: beautifully tailored jeans, a plain white shirt that accentuated her womanly curves, a neat white baker’s apron, and pretty blue shoes. Her short black hair was kept from her face by a white kerchief. Her smile was very pretty: sweet but neither false nor cloying.

Irasshaimase,” she greeted them, gesturing them into the shop. “Come on in.” Her English was like Amihan’s, her accent somewhat North American. “I know you’ve just had lunch, but I doubt if you’ll say no to some dessert and coffee.” She winked playfully at them. “My team and I just finished frosting some chocolate and caramel petits fours and I think I can rustle up a bit of mont blanc and kasutera, too.”

She ushered them into her office, a Western-style affair with a comfortable sitting area furnished with velvet couches and a glass coffee table. She clapped her hands, and a staff member Apparated in.

Kohii to puchi kêki assoto to kasutera-sando o-negai shimasu,” she commanded the white-smocked employee.

The young man bowed. “Hai, o-taishô,” he replied. “Yorokonde!”

When the employee had gone, Shinju took a notepad and pencil off her desk before joining them.

“You would be Mr. Draco Abraxas Malfoy and Miss Ginevra Molly Weasley.” She smiled at Draco and Ginny. It was a statement, not a question.

“We are,” Ginny replied, smiling back. Draco, likewise, inclined his head towards her. Hajime simply grinned, but kept his silence.

“I’m glad to see you both and this won’t be the last time we’ll be seeing each other. I’m officiating at the Lupin kekkon on Saturday.”

“You can officiate at weddings?” Ginny asked, somewhat surprised. “I thought a musubiya only made the preparations.”

“Some do,” Shinju agreed. “That’s what my younger brother and sister do as not all musubiya-tachi are allowed to do the kekkon, the binding ceremony.” She looked rather thoughtful, then turned to Hajime. “Haji-kun, don’t the women of your Clan have the Talent?”

“They do,” Hajime replied. “All three of the surviving Sinagtala sisters have kekkon-no-ninka, as a matter of fact.”

That was a startling revelation to both Draco and Ginny. “You mean,” Draco chimed in, “Amihan is a musubiya herself?”

“Yes, and she could’ve done her own binding ceremony herself.” Shinju shrugged. “Well, I am flattered that I was asked to officiate. Ami-chan and I have been friends since we were kids.” Ginny quailed a bit when the musubiya turned her razor-sharp gaze to her and Draco. “Which brings us to the two of you, now.”

Before Shinju said anything more, a full coffee service for four and an epergne loaded with good things appeared on the coffee table. She motioned for them to help themselves. As they nibbled the excellent sweets and sipped the fragrant coffee, Shinju regaled them with funny stories from weddings she planned and officiated. Ginny had to admit she was a very good storyteller as she had them all in stitches.

“Do you mind helping us, Shinju-san?” she now asked the musubiya. “I mean, will it be an issue that we’re gaijin and not even Asian?”

“Of course not,” Shinju shook her head as she put a couple of chocolate cupcakes onto Ginny’s plate. “Eat up, dearie; I can’t stand to see scrawny witches.” She gave the two a rather pointed look, though. “But I have to admit that I’m more than a little baffled.”

“Baffled?”

“I’ve seen your thread.” Shinju cocked her head to one side, her lips curled in amusement. “I don’t know what anyone’s told you, but you’re the only couple I’ve seen that has at least fifteen knots in their thread who still think they’re unmarried!”

Author notes: A Few Culinary Notes: A cream tea is a traditional English (well, Devonshire and Cornwall, mostly) afternoon repast involving tea and scones spread with clotted cream and jam; Thunder and Lightning is a variation with dark treacle taking the place of jam. Very calorific; now you know why Lucius forbade his wife the treats.


What Shinju told the Employee: She just asked him to get coffee, cakes, and kasutera-sando - sandwiches made with cream cheese and sweetened bean paste sandwiched between two slices of pound cake (kasutera in Japanese).


Knots: A knot tied in your thread of destiny means you're already married to the other person. This is going to make life more interesting for Draco and Ginny.

Leave a Review