Draco Malfoy stood in the Owlery with a parchment in one hand and a bag of owl treats in the other. He heard running footsteps leaving the Owlery as he reached the entrance. He was surprised that anyone would be here at this time. It was almost curfew, and the thought of catching another first year out of school after curfew was a pleasing idea.

He reached his owl in quick strides and took out a couple of treats from the bag. As he held them out in his hand, he was stunned that his owl didn’t take the treats. He was even more shocked when the owl raised his foot and gave him a piece of parchment. It was a scrap of common parchment with writing scribbled on it:

Impressive match
Congratulations on winning it


His dazed expression never left his face as he finished reading the note. He was surprised that even after so many years, he would still get a note from her. He’d always thought the crush he’d had on the littlest Weasley would end after his fifth year, but she had been in his mind every once in a while. When he started his sixth year, he had thought she might send him a few notes; unfortunately, he finished the year without hearing a word from her. Now she and her notes were back, and somehow it gave him an odd feeling, like the feeling he got when he was nervous before a Quidditch match. He shook his head to get rid of these thoughts before leaving the Owlery. He stuffed the note in his pocket and left.

When he saw her the next day in Potions class, he was intrigued and couldn’t stop himself from staring at her intensely. She blushed every time she looked back at him, and when she looked away, his heart dropped. He wanted her to look at him, but she appeared to be ignoring him, something that had never happened in his life.

After a couple of months


Draco Malfoy was watching the red-haired beauty again. He couldn’t help himself; he admitted that she had grown in the last two years. She may not be beautiful in the same way as his on and off girlfriend, Cindy, but she was beautiful.

The first time he noticed her existence was when she gave him a note that read:

Can we talk? 4 pm at the Quidditch pitch


It was the first time he really looked at her and noticed that she wasn’t just another devotee of the Golden Trio. But she was enchanting. When he accidentally told his friends about her note, they kept after him to ask her out or to tease her. But he wouldn’t do that to her. When their nagging failed, they planned a little surprise for Draco, and they arranged it so that she had to sit next to him the whole time at the school Christmas picture. He felt awful and somehow upset as she kept edging away from him, as if he had the plague or something.

He remembered waiting at the Quidditch pitch that day with a broom in one hand and her note in the other. It had been raining and he cursed at the weather and the dreadful day. He didn’t want to look like a lovesick fool, so he planted a bored expression on his face. As he stood there on the field, waiting for a miracle or at least her, he realised he had it bad. Normally a Malfoy would never wait for anybody. Of course, there was no way he would fall for any girl; it should be her doing the falling, not him.

As he shook his head and came back to reality, he realised that his friends were looking at him, expecting him to talk about the upcoming Quidditch match. He nodded his head at Zabini, who started to explain the plan to defeat Gryffindor. Draco tried to concentrate but somehow his eyes keep lingering on the littlest Weasley. It wasn’t until Zabini’s interruption that he could finally concentrate.

The first time he had helped her was merely his way of snooping. He was curious what program she was going to do for the Wizarding College. He wanted to ask her, but decided not to when she kept ignoring him like the plague. When her submission paper dropped on the floor, he saw it as his chance and hurriedly picked it up before she could reach it . He noticed her red-coloured cheeks as he stood up and decided to read the form quickly before handing it back to her. She looked at him with curious eyes when he gave it back. She mumbled what oddly sounded like a thank-you, and and then the ran inside the library. He watched her figure disappear before his eyes. He smiled; now he knew what course she planned to take in college, and as a bonus he knew her birthdate. But he saw Zabini walking toward him and he wiped the smile off his face.

As he waited outside for her to come out of the library, he went over his strategy as to what he could say to her. He could insult her, or he could open up an interesting discussion on something like Quidditch. But then again, he was a Malfoy, not some buffoon in love with a pretty redhead. As she approached, she nearly tripped over his feet, but she managed to get her balance. She muttered an apology to him and left quickly. He cursed her for being so sly and so fast that he couldn’t catch her even with his Seeker’s reflexes. He sulked back to his dorm before anyone could notice his sudden change in attitude.

It was two days before her birthday when he heard the most surprising news of his years in Hogwarts. Apparently his friends had thought it would be fun if people thought he was single, so they played a practical joke on him by circulating a rumour that he and Cindy had broken up. He was scared of what Cindy might think—but she wasn’t there, so what were the chances of her finding out?

The biggest shock of all was when Ginny send him a note a week after the rumour had been started:

I’m sorry about what happened


He felt terrible for Ginny’s misinterpretation, but he also needed to be straight with her before she hated him even more. So he decided to tell her soon, but fate was not on his side. Cindy decided to come to Hogwarts and put all the rumours to rest. Cindy arrived, dressed like a model, and began to talk with all of his friends and make her presence known, as a warning that she was not gone and they had not broken up.

Then Draco saw Ginny walking down the same path he and Cindy were walking along, and he saw that her face was contorted with anger and sadness. He felt an urge to go to her, but a sharp tug on his arm by his girlfriend changed his mind.

Draco’s anger had begun to grow in the past few days as Ginny continued to ignore him and her notes stopped coming. He hated the fact that he was losing her attention more every day, and he watched with jealous eyes as she flirted with what seemed like every bloke in the school.

On the day of his graduation ceremony he was sitting with his friends, laughing at a joke Nott had told. All of a sudden his owl flew to him and dropped a small note in his lap. It took him a while to get it back, as his mates stole it and passed it among themselves, keeping it just out of his reach. Finally he snatched it back and quickly read it:

4 pm Quidditch pitch
Come if you really care


His friends looked at him expectantly, waiting to hear what the note said. But he sent them a glare that clearly said they should mind their own business, and walked off by himself. He pondered whether to go to her or not; time was ticking away—it was near 4 p.m.

********************************************************

Rejection was hard to handle, especially for Ginny, in light of what Harry had done to her. When Harry broke up with her, her world came tumbling down, but somehow she managed to find her balance. She was never one of those girls like Lavender or Parvati, who was constantly flirting with boys or becoming friends with them. So when she fell hard for Draco, her first instinct was to stay away from him; but somehow she was always drawn back to him, even if the only way she could express herself was by sending “friendly” notes, or even a daring glare in his direction.

She knew what her chances were of having any kind of relationship with him and, if she should succeed, the odds of making it through for even a year. She knew fate would not be on her side, but she hoped it would give her some chances with Hogwarts bachelors. So she decided to keep seeking Draco out even though she was certain a broken heart was all that would come of it. However, somehow fate was with her, because he did notice her, and sometimes gave her the most intense glares anyone ever had. Although that was never enough, she loved it since at least it was some evidence that he had noticed her.

So when she was standing in the Quidditch pitch wearing her most beautiful dress and a little makeup, she thought she would have her chance even if it was only for a minute or a second of his time. She would fight for him for only this day and this time.

Draco was walking onto the Quidditch pitch when he saw her. He was stunned at how beautiful she looked. It gave him a peculiar feeling to know she had done this for him, out of all the other guys in Hogwarts. But then, he did deserve it—he was a Malfoy, after all.

“Hi.”

“Hi.” As both parties stared at each other intensely, they noticed how awkward it was to be together, alone, for the first time.

“So...congratulations.” Ginny tried to look him in the eye, but it was somehow intimidating, and she looked away.

“Thank you. You look so beautiful,” he said, putting his hand under her chin and gently forcing her to look at him. He felt the urge to kiss her but decided to wait. His hand traveled to her cheek and traced her face gently. She closed her eyes and her heart beat faster than before.

“Gin, open your eyes,” he said quietly.

She looked at him expectantly, as if he might kiss her or tell her he’d fallen in love with her.

“I’ve waited for this to happen for a long time. I never thought you would come,” Ginny said quietly, looking at the ground

“I know what you mean.”

“So—are you still with her?”

“Yeah...I’m sorry that my friends started that stupid rumour,” he said and continued when he saw Ginny’s confused face. “They told people she’d broken up with me, but she hasn’t.”

“It’s fine. I guess I was dreaming of a better ending.”

“You should; you deserve it.”

“Why?” she asked curiously as she looked into his eyes.

“You’re the first person who’s ever actually cared about me. People pressure me to be perfect, but you don’t care. You encourage me either way.”

“I don’t think being happy your girlfriend left you is exactly encouraging.”

He chuckled.

“No, but it’s common to think so. I would date you if I were single.”

“You don’t have to lie.”

“I’m not. You’re beautiful. I know it’s hard for you to see it, but you shouldn’t think so badly of yourself.”

“Then why won’t you break up with her?” she said, upset.

“I don’t know. I’ve been with her forever and she’s known me forever.”

“So is she your soul mate?”

“No!” he exclaimed hastily. “I would hope not.”

“Okay,” she said feeling a little happier to know this.

“Gin?”

“Yeah?”

“Dance with me,” he said.

“But—”

“Please?”

He took her gently in his arms and they danced until sundown. He held her tight as he tried to memorize her curves, her freckles and her smell. Meanwhile, Ginny closed her eyes, trying not to cry, and at the same time trying to be happy that she’d got this last wish before he was gone.

Author notes: One more chapter before its finish. Please send me your review :)

Leave a Review