“Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit.”
-Aristotle




House elves rushed throughout the rooms of the Malfoy Manor in preparation for the upcoming ball. Many in attendance would stay overnight since the summer ball spanned two days. That left the small creatures to dust and place new sheets on all of the unused rooms. The excitement from the house elves seemed to have transferred the never-ending energy to Ginny herself, who at the moment, could barely keep still as a witch of small stature poked and prodded her with needles.

“Honestly child,” Narcissa chided. “If only you hold still. Then you may play out in the gardens with your dress robes completed and hung neatly in your closet. The seamstress couldn’t help but nod in agreement as she placed another needle on the smooth fabric, thus causing Ginny to emit another sound of pain.

“You moved again, Ginevra dear,” Narcissa sighed. “I must be at my quarters within half an hour for my hairstyling. Please remain still until this is finished with.”

“Done!” The seamstress called out happily as she inserted the last needle in its place. Gently she removed the gown off of her living manikin and grinned. “You’ll be the belle of the ball, I’m sure Miss Weasley.”

“Of course she will,” Narcissa replied curtly. “Please have that dress done before this afternoon. I’d like to have Ginevra fitted one last time before the guests arrive.” Then she turned to Ginny, who stood there waiting. “Ginevra, you may step down from the platform now.” Narcissa absentmindedly continued her discussion with the seamstress.

Ginny rubbed at her bare arms and her feet prickled when she stepped onto the cool stone floor. Despite it being summer, the early morning was bitterly cold for her tastes. She donned her silken pale blue robe that oddly reminded her of Draco’s silvery eyes. Normally breakfast would be starting around this time, but Narcissa had insisted on waking just before dawn for the expected ‘girly primping’ as Draco liked to call it.


She stared out at the window, looking at the bright morning sun. The dew from the many leaves of the gardens shone and sparkled before her. Winter snow was a beautiful sight, but the early mornings of summer were equally delightful.

“I’ll go and check on Draco,” Ginny said and Narcissa nodded her head.

“That lazy boy is probably still sleeping. See to it that he eats his breakfast, Ginevra.”

She nodded and dutifully set forth towards Draco’s suite.
When she arrived, Draco was already out of bed and tying his shoes. “Get out,” Draco barked out when he saw her standing there, but she ignored his wishes. Instead, she sat across from him on one of the many chairs decorated inside the large room. He sighed but didn’t say anything further. Once the last shoe was tied, he stood up and stretched from his chair. “What is it, Weasley?” he asked grumpily. Let it be known that Draco Malfoy was not a morning person.

“I’m bored,” she replied. She looked down at her bare feet, just now realizing she lacked shoes. She must have left them back in the fitting room. Draco must have noticed this too since he growled before rummaging through his bureau and tossing her a pair of socks.

“You’ll catch a cold if you walk barefoot around here,” he warned. “Go and put on shoes. I’m going to get something to eat.”

“I’ll come with you,” Ginny said as she hopped off her seat and trailed after him, socks still in her hand.

He sighed. He knew by now that there was no use arguing with the girl. She was just as stubborn as her brother. “At least put the socks on, Ginny. Mother will fret if she hears you’ve caught a cold.”

“Will you fret?” she asked curiously as she unceremoniously sat on the floor and put on the socks.

Draco rolled his eyes. “Malfoy men do not fret. We leave that to the women.”

Ginny pulled the black sock past her ankles. “Done,” she said. She held out her hand and Draco, while grumbling, took it and pulled her up to her feet.

“You’ve already eaten I presume?” he asked.

Ginny nodded. “It was yummy.”

Draco rolled his eyes again. “We’ll need to improve your vocabulary, Weasley. It’s still that of a common person.”

“What term would you prefer?” she asked as the two of them exited his quarters and strolled calmly down the hall.

“I don’t know, Ginny. Yummy just sounds so juvenile.”

“Scrumptious then?”

“Sounds something your own mother would say,” he said haughtily.

“Delicious, perhaps?”

Draco nodded. “That’ll do for now. If you really want to impress them, you’ll say something in French or Latin.”

“I don’t speak French or Latin, unless it’s a spell of course.”

Draco sighed. “We’ll add that to your studies then, shall we? Here we are!” Draco said as they reached the doors leading to the morning room.

“Why do we always eat our meals in different rooms?” Ginny asked as she watched Draco open the door for her. She stepped through the threshold and found her regular seat.

Draco sat near where the head of the table sat. A plate magically appeared before him full of his favorite breakfast foods. Pancakes, chocolate waffles with vanilla ice cream, bacon, and sausage. It was almost too much for him to eat, but he began nibbling on a piece of bacon anyway. He immediately took a gulp of orange juice before answering her.

“We always eat dinner in the formal dining hall. Afternoon meals will be in different rooms however. Summer and spring, we’ll eat in the red room and have the view of the rose garden. During the fall and winter, we eat lunch in the blue room, having the view of the usually frozen lake.”

“And breakfast?” she asked curiously.

“We’ll either be eating here in the morning room or the yellow room. It all depends on Mother, really. Once the other guests arrive however, all our meals will be eaten in the dining hall,” he answered her tersely.

Ginny nodded.

“Are your robes finished yet?” he asked, having nothing else to say to her.

She shook her head. “I have one more fitting, then my dress robes will be complete.”

“Mother says it’s quite something, that dress of yours.”

Ginny brown eyes sparkled in excitement. “Oh, it is! I’ve never seen nor wore a gown such as this one.”

Draco scoffed. “Of course not. You’ve been living with those blood traitors for so long.”

“Yes, I suppose so…” she trailed off.

Draco noticed this. “What is it?”

“Well, I was wondering…”

“About what?” Draco shoved the last bit of his waffle into his mouth, and then shoved the plate away from him.

“Since we both don’t have anywhere to be until four, would you like to do something?” she asked shyly.

He scowled. “I’m busy.” He got off his chair and Ginny followed him.

“With what?” Ginny asked, frowning.

“Quidditch, for your information. I need to practice until I can beat Potter.” He noticed her face whitening when he said that. “What’s wrong with you?” he asked dumbly, until he realized his error. “Oh Merlin! Forgive me, Ginevra. It was insensitive to mention something that brought you so much pain.”

“It killed me, you mean,” she replied stiffly. Her eyes zoned out, as if remembering the fateful day when she met her demise.

“Ginny?” he asked, his voice small.

“Yes?”

“Do you think you can tell me someday on what happened?”

“Yes,” she replied honestly, her eyes staring clearly into his. “But not now. The pain has yet to go away.”

Draco shook his head. “You know better than to think the pain will ever go away. It might dull, but never will it vanish.”

She laughed weakly. “Let’s practice dancing some more.”

“You tricked me,” he stated, but he reached out and held her small hand in his, leading her away to the empty ballroom that would soon hold hundreds of the Malfoy guests.

* * * *

“Narcissa?”

The blonde woman turned away from her vanity and stared questioningly at her husband. He stood at the entrance of the doorway, his back leaning against the white molding in an aloof manner. His long hair was neatly tied behind his back like always, and he already wore the dress robes she had hand selected for him to wear for tonight’s event. His velvet-covered hands clenched his cane nervously, or perhaps it was in anger? One can never tell by Lucius Malfoy’s face.

“What is it, Lucius?” she asked calmly as she sprayed perfume on her neck.

“We have a problem.”

Narcissa put the perfume bottle onto the table and beckoned her husband closer. Once he was by her side, she clasped his gloved hand and looked up into his eyes. “What may that problem be, Lucius?”

“He will be here later in the night, when only they remain.”

Narcissa knew who he and they were, of course. “Can’t you simply de-invite the Dark Lord, Lucius? You can tell him your dumb blonde wife forgot to place another setting on the table and to add one now would simply be a disaster for the table arrangements.”

He raised an eyebrow at her.

“Oh for Merlin’s sake, Lucius! I do not want that thing in our house. There will be Ministry officials in attendance,” she hissed. “Not to mention that we have Ginevra Weasley amongst us.”

“No harm will come to the girl.”

“How can you be so reassured? She comes from the opposing side and if the Dark Lord found out…”

“He’d want her to join us.”

“I no longer wish to discuss such things, Lucius. The party is only a few hours away and my hair is still a mess.” Narcissa picked up a comb and began brushing out her wavy hair.

“You look lovely, Narcissa,” he said and placed a light kiss on her temple. “Our Lord will arrive a quarter past midnight. That will leave enough time for the Ministry officials to leave.”

“Yet isn’t Fudge staying the night?” she scoffed.

Lucius smirked. “How ironic then that the war’s two leaders will be at our home. Consider yourself lucky, Narcissa. No matter the ending of this war, we will come out unscathed.”

“All the while rooting for the Dark Lord to win, I’m sure,” Narcissa said. She dabbed on powder over her nose. “Leave me be, Lucius. You’re a distraction I can’t have at the moment.”

He laughed, his cane tapping against the stone floor as he walked confidently over to the door. “I will have fun wooing you during the ball, my beloved.”

“As you always do, Lucius dear. Be a good boy and check up on the children. I think I could hear the piano playing…”

Both parents stilled their conversation and listened. Faintly, they could hear the piano playing a familiar song to them both.

“He’s getting better,” Lucius remark. “Adieu, Narcissa.”

“Goodbye Lucius,” she replied.


* * * *

As fast as it had started, the music sadly came to an end. Ginny sat next to Draco, watching as his pale fingers lingered on the ivory keys. His eyes were closed, no music sheets in sight. He played from his heart, creating a sound reminiscent to her from music sang and played in heaven. Ginny faintly hummed the tune, hoping he’d continue to play that particular piece. His eyes opened and he smiled.

“That’s enough for one day, don’t you agree? You’ll have three hours to prepare if you leave now. I know how long you girls take to get ready,” he said.

Ginny sniffed. “All I have to do is put on the silly dress. That won’t take me three full hours.”

Draco stared at her disbelievingly. “You’re joking, right?”

She looked confused.

He began to laugh. “You better go if you know what’s good for you. There’s still the hair and makeup.”

“Hair and makeup?” she asked blandly.

“Then the jewelry and shoes have to be picked out,” Draco added amusedly.

“Jewelry?” she asked again, this time overwhelmed.

“Honestly Ginevra Weasley, all guests are treated like royalty, including you.”

She looked away, a blush tinting her pale cheeks. “I have no jewelry though,” she said softly to him.

“I didn’t expect a Weasley to have any,” he snorted. The flash of anger in her brown eyes made him think better of what he said. “I mean you weren’t prepared for a ball so I know most of your items are at home.

She nodded, accepting his reasoning. “Yes, they are at the Burrow.” She shivered, thinking about her old home.

“Do you miss it there?” he asked.

Ginny nibbled at her lower lip. “I honestly can’t tell you now. Every single day here is a new adventure. It’s like I’m on vacation!” she laughed.

The grandfather clock chimed three times. Both of them stared at one another.

“You better go,” Draco said simply as he slid off the piano seat. Ginny followed and took a few steps towards the door.

“Thank you Draco, for the company.”

He nodded. “I’ll see you tonight,” he said.

Ginny smiled and twirled in her spot, her robes billowing out around her. “Till tonight,” she said happily. She began an odd sort of dance until she disappeared out the door.

Draco shook his head, a small smile forming upon his lips. He cast one last glance towards Ginny’s direction before he himself exited the ballroom.


Author’s Notes: Thank you so much for the encouraging reviews. I’m quite sorry it has taken so long for me to finish this chapter. >.>;; Anyways, thank you to Dark Fairy for beta reading this chapter. *huggles* Please review! It really does keep me motivated. :D
To Be Continued.
Lillian is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Contra Mundum also liked 92 other stories.
Leave a Review