Well, I used to post fanfic’s here under another pen name, but when I finished my bigger story I decided to stop. Yet, here I am again.

So here it is. Please review if you feel so inclined, and if not, well, suit yourself.

By the way, it’s not mine unless it’s mine.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

September 1st had, for the past five years, been a pleasant day for Ginny Weasley. Something about this September first, however, made it different than the rest. She could only trace her loss of words to Harry’s departure, after they had stepped aboard the Hogwarts Express and he had announced that he and Ron would be out searching for the last horcruxes through the next year, and would not be attending Hogwarts. Hermione, although she had already known that they would be leaving, was sobbing uncontrollably inside the compartment. Ron had insisted she stay, as she would profit from her studies far more than the boys would. Besides, they were needed elsewhere, saving the wizarding world and all that.

Ginny watched Harry as he left, her brown eyes full of emotion. He kissed her forehead and hugged her non-respondent form before apparating from the train. She stood motionless in the middle of the aisle, not thinking that perhaps others would want to pass through.

“Move, Weaslette,” an icy voice snarled from behind. Ginny jumped, nearly hitting the blond form, none other than Draco Malfoy himself.

“What are you doing here, Malfoy?” Ginny asked, trying to sound more vicious than she actually did. She was still regaining herself from Harry’s unfortunate news.

Draco rolled his eyes, “The same thing you are, I would assume, unless I’ve accidentally boarded the train to loonyville.”

Ginny scoffed. “Oh Malfoy, you are a witty one, aren’t you?” she replied, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

He didn’t respond so she continued. “You know what I mean,” she said. “They actually let you back in here after… last year?”

“Yes,” he responded icily, “as a matter of fact, they did. Not that it’s any of your business.”

“What are you up to?” she asked accusingly.

“What ever can you mean?” he asked boredly.

Ginny heaved breath out in a put-out manner as Hermione sobbed loudly. The pair each cast sideways glances at her, but paid no more attention. “I mean,” she said, “what ‘secret mission’ have you got to do this year? Dumbledore’s gone, so what could your father possibly want you doing now…?”

Draco whipped around at high speed. Before Ginny realized what was happening, he had her pinned to the wall beside the door, out of Hermione’s view, his hands gripping her upper arms tightly.

“Don’t,” he said through clenched teeth, “you ever mention my father again.”

He thrust her back against the metal wall and disappeared down the aisle. Talk about a temper, Ginny thought to herself bitterly, as she rubbed her upper arms.

o.O.o.O.o

Dinner that night was a particularly odd experience. As Ginny sat at the Gryffindor table beside a sniffling Hermione, she couldn’t help but notice the lack of students. There were two tables remaining in the once filled Great Hall, and not even those were completely filled. The Hufflepuffs now sat with the Slytherins, and the Ravenclaws with the Gryffindors. There was still obvious segregation between the houses, however.

Across the room Ginny’s eyes fell upon a rather pathetic sight. Draco Malfoy, alone at the end of the long wooden table. She almost felt sorry for him. This once fawned over boy, was now alone. Perhaps his seclusion and disrupted look on his brow is what compelled Ginny to get up and follow him from the Great Hall. He walked to the library and sat in a table near the back. Ginny watched as he stared at page one of a dark magic book for nearly ten minutes, but his eyes never moved. She moved in and took a seat.

“What do you want?” he growled, his eyes barely shifting to look at her.

Ginny ‘hurumphed’ and raised her eyebrows. “Hello to you too, Malfoy.”

Draco sighed. “Do you want something, Weasley? There are plenty of other seats in here, and I can assure you they won’t be filling up any time soon.”

“My, my, do you always act like this when people try to talk to you?” she asked mockingly. “I’m only trying to have a civilized conversation.”

“Civilized? A Weasley?” Draco spat. “You must be joking.”

Ginny laughed softly and shook her head as she stood to go, “Well, Malfoy, I can’t say that I’m impressed. For someone of your intelligence, that was not your best.”

As Ginny walked away she scoffed in her head. Initially she had planned to apologize to Malfoy for mentioning his father earlier. She wasn’t sure why, but something about mentioning the events of the previous year to him seemed wrong, and made her feel guilty. But now she didn’t care. If he was going to be a prat about it, she most certainly would not waste her time making amends with the enemy.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

“I can’t believe they just picked up and left,” Hermione said sadly as she and Ginny unpacked their clothing. Ginny had agreed to stay in the seventh year dormitory for the term, as Hermione was the only seventh year female left, besides Parvati Patil.

“I know, ‘Mione,” Ginny said sympathetically, “but they’re coming back. It’s not like they’ll be gone forever.”

“How can you be so sure?” Hermione asked, looking across the two beds between them. Ginny watched her with questioning eyes, and Hermione continued. “What makes you so sure they’ll survive?”

Ginny’s heart dropped. Of course she was doubting their return, but she had to be strong. What else could she do? “Don’t talk like that,” Ginny said softly.

Hermione watched Ginny’s emotions change as she continued to unpack.

“Did you eat tonight, Hermione?” Ginny asked suddenly.

Hermione shrugged in return. “A little. Why?”

“I’m going to the kitchen. I’ll be back in a little while,” she said.

“Wait a minute, I’ll come with you,” Hermione said, moving to get her robes.

Ginny stopped her. “No,” she said a bit too quickly. Hermione raised her eyebrow. “I just want to go alone,” she said. “I’ll be quick.”

Hermione nodded as Ginny exited quickly, scurrying through the dark hollows. She took a long route to the portrait concealing the House Elves’ workplace, and when she entered Dobby greeted her with big eyes.

“Mizz Weezley has come to see Dobby!” Dobby shouted excitedly before the portrait-door was closed. Ginny hurried to shut it behind her and smiled at the elf, whose highest point reached just above her knee.

“Yes, Dobby, I came to see you. How have you been?” she asked politely.

Dobby shrugged. “Oh, Dobby can’t complain, miss. Where is Harry Potter?”

Ginny’s face twisted into a sad smile. “Harry won’t be coming back this year,” she said softly. “He had some… business to take care of.”

Dobby was ready to respond when the portrait swung open behind Ginny, causing them both to jump.

Standing there in the doorway was a young woman Ginny did not recognize. She looked as if she were in her mid-twenties. Her hair was raven black, loose around her shoulders. She had a twinkle in her honey brown eye and a grin on her lips as if she knew something no one else did.

“Well, well,” she said softly in a cat-like purr. “Night one and students are already breaking curfew, huh?”

“Um…yes. Sorry, who are you?” Ginny asked with polite confusion in her voice.

The woman smiled, her hand resting on her hip. “Anessa Duff,” she announced. “Your new Dark Arts master, so I suppose that would make me Professor, yeah?”

Ginny nodded and her cheeks tinted pink. “Sorry professor,” she said. “I couldn’t sleep.”

“Well, best get back to your dorm then. I won’t punish you since it’s only the first night. But don’t let me catch you again, okay? Miss…” Anessa trailed off, waiting for Ginny to speak.

“Ginny Weasley,” she said softly. “And yes ma’am, it won’t happen again.”

“Right,” she responded. “Let’s go then.”

Both women nodded toward Dobby before they left. As they walked in the dark, Professor Duff began casual conversation.

“What house are you in, Ginny?” she asked.

Ginny responded, “Gryffindor.”

“I assume you’re related to the Weasley Twins in Diagon Alley?”

Ginny nodded. “They’re my brothers. Do you know them?”

Anessa nodded. “I’ve met them a few times. Funny guys,” she remarked.

As the two girls rounded the next corner, a blond figure fell into their paths. Anessa’s hand went to her pocket but did not come out, though Ginny knew she was grabbing her wand.

“Shouldn’t you be in bed?” Anessa asked Draco Malfoy’s tired looking figure.

“Prefect,” he said, as if he had some high authority. “I’m on patrol duty tonight.”

Anessa nodded. “Well then, you can escort Miss Weasley here back to the Gryffindor Tower. Good night.” And with that, she was gone, leaving Ginny and Draco standing awkwardly in the middle of the hallway.

Ginny regained her posture and brushed past Draco, surprised however when he followed her.

“What are you doing, Malfoy?” Ginny asked with a roll of her eyes.

“You heard her,” he said. “I’m ‘escorting’ you back to your house.”

Ginny scoffed. “Good night Malfoy,” she said, turning away from him.

Draco leaned his back against the wall behind him, a genuine Malfoy smirk playing across his mouth. “What? No good night kiss?”

“You’re disgusting,” Ginny muttered before turning the corner and disappearing into the dark.

Hermione was already sleeping when Ginny returned to their room. Ginny crawled into bed and tried to follow suit, eventually slipping into a rigid slumber. She dreamt of Harry with her, though they were not at Hogwarts. They were at the Burrow, in the past summer they had spent together. She was laughing and he was watching with some emotion lingering in his vibrant eyes.

Morning came all too soon for Ginny. She felt as if she had been asleep no more than five minutes before Hermione stood above her, showered and dressed for the first day of classes. Ginny stumbled out of bed and somehow made it to breakfast, though she hadn’t much of an appetite

“What’ve you got first, Gin?” Hermione asked from across the table. She was already through eating and looking through her schedule, more packed than usual to keep her occupied.

Ginny fumbled through her bag and fished out her own schedule, looking at the small words. “Defense Against the Dark Arts,” she replied.

“That’s all the way across the castle. You might want to get going,” Hermione suggested. Ginny nodded.

“You’re right. I’ll see you at lunch, yeah?” Ginny said, closing her bag and standing to leave. Hermione nodded and mumbled an affirmative reply as Ginny walked away. Halfway to her first class, however, she was joined by a Slytherin boy in his seventh year. He stopped her as she walked by the corner in the hallway at which he was perched, arms crossed, dark eyes wandering.

“Well, well, if it isn’t Miss Ginny Weasley,” the boy drawled in a deep tone. “It looks like summer’s done you some good.”

Ginny rolled her eyes and continued walking. “Bletchley,” she said evenly. “Such a pleasure to see you.”

“Really?” he asked with a smirk. “Because you don’t sound pleased.”

“I’ll work on it,” Ginny said dully and continued to walk past.

Miles Bletchley smirked wider. “I know you’re happy to see me, Ginny. You can stop pretending to hate me.”

Just outside her classroom door Ginny stopped and faced him. “Where do you get these crazy ideas?”

“You know you want me,” Miles said charmingly. Ginny did all she could to stop her stomach from convulsing. True, he was good looking, but he was Slytherin to the core. The type of boy you would expect to be receiving the Mark the day he turns seventeen. He was just like Malfoy, and Ginny hated him.

“If you say so,” Ginny said allusively with an impish grin. With a flit of her fingers, she ducked into the class room, taking a seat in the back. It was after she retrieved her book and quill from her bag that she realized that, save for the teacher in the front of the room, she was the only person occupying the space.

“Ginny Weasley, correct?” Anessa Duff’s voice spilled across the room.

Oh yes, Ginny thought, the new professor.

Ginny nodded. “Yes, professor.”

“Did you get back to your dorm last night?”

“Yes,” she said simply, not knowing what else to say.

Anessa smiled and nodded as more students poured in. She resumed her place at the front of the room and wrote her name in loopy cursive on the front blackboard.

The class went quickly, but at the end Ginny was mesmerized. The new professor didn’t teach much the first day, it was mostly introductions and such, but the way she talked made Ginny believe she really knew what she was doing. This was the one class she had been completely dreading, because of the teacher switch and all, but now she couldn’t wait for Wednesday when she would be in the classroom with Anessa Duff once more.

At the end of the day, after supper was over, Ginny was excited to be out on the Quidditch field with her broom, flying alone. It hadn’t been too long since she had flown, because she had over the summer, but she hadn’t much room at the Burrow and at Hogwarts there was an endless amount of space.

Ginny flew for what seemed like thirty minutes, but was really close to three hours that night. It was dark and the pitch was only lit by a few torches at the top of the viewing towers, but by five minutes into her fly her eyes were adjusted to the dark and she could see perfectly.

As she touched down from the field, Ginny noticed another figure in the air, coming straight at her. She barely had time to think before the figure slammed into her body, knocking her to the ground. All the air in her lungs flew out and Ginny began to cough.

“Sorry! Sorry, sorry,” the girl said quickly, jumping off Ginny and offering a hand to help her up. Ginny took it and stood, trying to catch her breath.

“It’s okay,” Ginny said after a few moments. “I wasn’t watching.”

The girl, with long brown hair and short bangs sweeping across her dark eyes, smiled. “I’ve never been very good at flying, but I’m trying to get better. Obviously it’s not working out how I want, though, huh?” she said and laughed.

Ginny grinned at her. “Maybe you’d better think on taking up dueling,” she said jokingly.

The girl giggled. “Maybe so. I’m Meagan, but you can call me Maggie,” she said, shaking the hand that Ginny was still subconsciously holding. They dropped their hands quickly.

“Ginevra,” Ginny said. “But I’d prefer if you call me Ginny.”

“I’ve seen you around,” Maggie said. “Gryffindor, right?”

Ginny nodded and scrunched her eyebrows. “I haven’t seen you. You’re not new are you?”

Maggie shook her head, which caused her bangs to swish across her eyes. “Nah, just quiet I guess. I’m in Ravenclaw, sixth year.”

“I’m in sixth year too,” Ginny said, smiling. “Wait, you were in my divination class last year?”

She hesitated before nodding. “Uh. Yeah, yeah I was,” she said quickly. Ginny masked her confusion and smiled.

“I should probably get inside,” Ginny said. “Professor Duff already caught me out after curfew, last night.”

Maggie grinned. “Sure, I’ll walk you inside,” she said, and they began to walk, neither of them noticing the lurking figure around the corner of a goal post.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

“Draco, you’ve arrived,” Lucius’ icy voice drawled deeply from the shadowy corner of the Malfoy’s library.

“You don’t miss a thing,” Draco mumbled, not making eye contact.

“Sit.”

Draco did as he was told. He sat straight up with his hand in his pocket, his pale fingers clutching his wand tightly. “Yes?”

“As I’m sure you are aware, your failure to kill Albus Dumbledore was an extreme disappointment to the Dark Lord.” Draco did not respond. Lucius continued. “You are lucky not to have been exiled for this,” You have no idea, “but the Dark Lord, being generous as he is,” generous? The only thing he’s generous with is pain, “has decided to give you a chance to redeem yourself.”

Draco’s ears perked up, though he still did not respond. “As you must have noticed, Harry Potter has a special bond, shall we say, with the youngest Weasley.”

“What’s that got to do with anything?” Draco asked. Sure the little Weaslette and Potter had a thing, but what was it to him?

“They’re in love,” Lucius said simply. Draco still did not understand.

“And I care because…?” Draco was growing bored with his fathers delay.

Lucius’ voice became tense. “Because, you idiot. Ginevra Weasley is alone at Hogwarts this year. She’s probably weak and searching for companionship. You,” he said.

“Me? You want me to be friends with a blood traitor?” Draco asked disgustedly.

“No,” Lucius said. “The Dark Lord wants you to make her trust you. Make her trust you and then bring her to us. Potter will come straight to her, and we’ll be ready. Do you understand?”

Draco’s lip curled into a snarl. “What makes you think I want to earn his favor, anyway?” he snapped.

“This isn’t a decision we’re giving you. You will join him. Or you will die,” his father said viciously.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Ginny and Maggie entered the building, both watching carefully around the corners to save from being caught. Though on their guard, they were not watchful enough. As they crept down the hallway outside of the Great Hall, Anessa Duff’s shadowy form appeared just as she had the night before: sudden and abrupt.

“Ginny Weasley,” she said. “Couldn’t sleep again?”

Ginny’s face flushed. “Sorry, Professor… I was out flying.”

“And you?” Anessa asked, alternating her gaze to fall on Maggie.

“I was just out with Ginny,” she explained. “We would have been in earlier, but I crashed into her and it took a few minutes to get it together.”

Anessa looked from Ginny to Maggie and back to Ginny. “You remember what I told you last night, I expect?” she said to Ginny. “Both of you will serve detention Friday night in my classroom at seven sharp. Clear?”

Both girls nodded. “Yes Ma’am,” they said in unison. They scurried off in opposite directions, both forgetting to say goodnight.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Author notes: So what did you think? I'm not even sure if this site does reviews or anything cause I've never read fics on here. But if they do, drop me one?
Thanks!
Lady Cardea

To Be Continued.
Lady Cardea is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 8 members. Members who liked Playing With Fire also liked 386 other stories.
Leave a Review