Beautiful Day by U2

On a sunny afternoon, Pansy and Ron were walking up a path leading to a seaside cottage.

“My parents got this for me when I turned seventeen,” Pansy said. “I always wanted a cosy little cottage where I could look out to the sea and just be me.”

“That was nice of them,” Ron replied.

“It’s the only thing I have that’s in my name,” Pansy explained the purpose of the trip. “They won’t even let me get my clothes, bought with ‘their good money.’” She started tearing up at this.

“Pansy,” Ron said, moving his hand from hers to her shoulder, rubbing gently.

“All I have is you now and you have no idea how terrifying that is,” she cried, turning towards him and wrapping her arms around him.

“What about... Draco, Daphne and Blaise?” Ron asked, remembering to use their names.

“They’re too preoccupied with their own upcoming marriages. They don’t need my troubles too.”

“They would do anything for you...”

“Of course they would, but that doesn’t mean that I want or need them to,” Pansy said, stepping out of Ron’s arms. “Do you want to see the cottage?” she asked, changing the subject and leading him by the hand up the porch steps.

“Well, I didn’t walk up that hill for nothing,” Ron smiled.

Pansy gave Ron the extensive tour, showing him each of the four bedrooms, four bathrooms, the kitchen, the dining room, the family parlor, the library, and the grounds. He was surprised at the size of the cottage. When you think cottage, you think one bedroom, one bathroom, a kitchen nook, and a small living room. But the Parkinsons didn’t do anything small for their daughter, well, that was when she was their daughter.

“We could live here after the wedding,” Pansy announced, her natural confidence restored.

“That would be nice.”

The couple sat in companionable silence on the porch and looked out to the sea for a long time.

“Hey, Pansy,” Ron said, getting her attention. “I got you a ring.” He presented a gold band with a light blue tanzanite gem with encrusted diamonds on each side. It wasn’t ostentatious, but definitely ornate enough for Pansy.

“Oh, Ron,” Pansy gasped. “It’s lovely, thank you.”

They settled back into companionable silence, watching the sunset. Pansy had a grin on her face and fiddled with her ring and Ron snuck glances in her direction every now and then.

* * *

Katie Bell, grabbed a bowl from her cupboard and then scooped a generous helping of ice-cream into it, adding chocolate syrup and rainbow sprinkles. She sat down on her couch and ate a spoonful, savoring the taste of mint-chocolate chip, the green kind, of course. A pecking came from the window. She set her ice-cream bowl down and let the owl in, taking the letter, spoon still in her mouth.

Katie,

I was called back to Romania this morning. We had a hatching today. We can still meet for dinner, but it’ll have to be in my tent in Romania, and I’ll cook dinner if you bring dessert. I can cook almost as good as Mum, so you don’t have to worry about quality. Sound good? I’ve attached a Portkey, if you’re willing to spend the evening in a Dragon Reserve rather than a restaurant.

-Charlie


A small jewelry box fell out of the envelope, but Katie didn’t pick it up until she finished her ice-cream and changed into a pair of nice jeans and a blouse, in case it decided to transport her immediately. Katie picked it up after she was ready to go, but nothing happened. She opened the box and inside was a beautiful gold ring with a red coral stone wrapped in gold wire. She gasped and picked it up, feeling the familiar tug behind her navel.

“Charlie Weasley! If this is your way of proposing or what not, you’re going to have to try again! A Portkey? That’s the best you can do?” Katie shouted.

“I thought it was inventive,” Charlie muttered. “And it’s not like I can ask you to marry me, because you’re already going to.”

“It would be nice to be asked,” Katie snapped.

“Katie Bell, will you marry me?” Charlie asked, getting down on one knee.

“Yes,” Katie replied, a smile on her face. “Now, where is the dinner that I’ve been promised?”

* * *

“Mrs. Weezley, Bill and I ‘ave decided to have ze wedding at the Ministry ‘all. But do not worry because Charlie, Fred, George, and Ron will most likely ‘ave zere weddings ‘ere,” Fleur explained to her future mother-in-law.

“I see. Well, have you gotten flowers, a dress, invitations, the cake, catering...” Mrs. Weasley started, trying to find something she could help out with.

“You forget zhat Bill and I ‘ave been engaged for almost a year, we ‘ave already planned most of ze wedding. My mozer, sister, and I will be dress shopping tomorrow afternoon. You are welcome to join us,” Fleur said.

“That’s nice of you, Fleur. I think I will, unless, I have dessert tasting with Katie... no, that’s in the morning,” Molly smiled. “I’ll be there.”

* * *

“Angie! Look at my ring!” Alicia squealed, jumping out of her friend’s fireplace, waving an intricate silver and moonstone ring. “It’s from India, George got it when he was checking up on the chain in India!”

“Fred got mine while visiting the chain in Egypt, it’s malachite and silver. What’s yours, I’ve never seen it before, its very unique,” Angelina grinned.

“Moonstone and silver,” Alicia replied. “Ah! I’m so excited, Angie! I never thought George would be so... and we would be almost perfect, if not perfect, and he’s been such a gentleman,” Alicia rambled.

Angelina nodded and listened to her friend, knowing she did the same thing when she was first in love with Fred.

* * *

Daphne Greengrass walked past the fake-blonde secretary sitting at the desk outside her fiancé’s corner office.

“Mr. Weasley is busy at the moment,” she told Daphne.

“Does it look like I give a flying rat’s ass?” Daphne snapped.

“You can’t go in there,” she persisted.

Daphne ignored her and opened the door. “Percy Weasley, this harlot outside your office said you were busy, but it doesn’t look like that. If I was stupid, I’d think you were avoiding me.”

“Ms. Greengrass, if you would please...”

“Leave?” Daphne guessed. “No, I don’t think I will. See, Percy Weasley, I have something to say to you and you’re not going to run away like last time or when you disagreed with your family. For Merlin’s sake, you’re a Gryffindor.”

Percy glared at her.

“Now, I’ve come here to apologize.”

He raised his eyebrow.

“Yes. I’m sorry that I was rude to you and obviously I hit a nerve, calling you a Weasley. So here’s my olive branch: please come to dinner with me at Chez Maurice. I promise, no fronts, no parents, no siblings,” she smiled slightly at the end.

“It wasn’t that you called me a Weasley. It was the way you said it, the distain was quite obvious,” Percy said, finally speaking

“I’m sorry for that. This thing between us is extremely sudden and I need time to get over my prejudices, just as you do,” Daphne replied.

“I don’t have any prejudices.”

“Let me take you back to the day at the Ministry earlier this week, all of us were yelling. It was like school again, Gryffindors versus Slytherins,” Daphne reminded him.

“I see your point. Truce?” Percy asked, holding out his hand.

“Truce,” Daphne smiled, taking it.

Author notes: Sorry for the wait! Thanks for hanging around though. And thank you very much to those who reviewed! I love hearing your input.
Engagement Rings from the previous chapter:
Luna's http://static.gemrockauctions.com/uploads/images/15000-19999/15015/15015_2.jpg

Ginny's http://image.bizrate.com/resize?sq=160&uid=516846899&mid=87880

Engagement Rings from this chapter:
Pansy's http://gemscollection.blogspot.com/2007/09/tanzanite-gemstone.html

Katie's http://www.shebuyshe.com/images/itempics/VL80.jpg

Alicia's http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P10678906a.jpg

Angelina's http://resources.shopstyle.com/pim/03/84/03847b2a3ca5980dfeab1dc941449bed_medium.jpg

If they don't work tell me because I hate when that happens.

To Be Continued.
SMichaelM is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 57 members. Members who liked Compagnons d'Ame also liked 1169 other stories.
Leave a Review