Draco Malfoy stood at the doorway of his bedroom, where his wife was snuggled in bed with their daughter. This had originally been a point of contention for him, but Ginny had insisted that Rowan sleep with them instead of in the perfectly good nursery he had slept in as a child. After a night of snuggling next to the two copper-haired women he most adored, he was won over. Now, nearly six months later, he leaned on the doorjamb and listened to his wife sing, as she did every night. Her voice was slightly husky, but still had the smoothness of satin.

Hush-a-bye, don't you cry,
Go to sleepy little baby,
When you wake, you shall have cake
And all the pretty little horses.


Draco felt a jolt of recognition rush through him. His own mother had sang this song to him, in that nursery he and his wife had neglected to make use of. He could see her in his mind's eye, pacing the floor, stroking his white-blonde hair, singing softly while his father leaned in the doorway much as he now did.

Now, with all the dreams he knew he had for Rowan, he wondered... What dreams had his mother had for him while singing him to sleep. Had she imagined him as Minister of Magic? Or perhaps as a Seeker for a famous Quidditch team? Was he a business man? Or perhaps he was a world-reknowned Artist, in her mind?

Draco smiled at the thought of his mother dreaming illustrious dreams for his future, and looked to his wife who was now watching him as she sang. It was too bad that his mother had not lived to see him marry and have children. She would have loved Ginny, despite the difference in class. They had much in common, this lullaby being the least of it. He knew that he had made mistakes in his life, nearly falling into the trap of following the Dark Lord, but marrying Ginny Weasley had been the high point of his life, and he desperately wished his parents had not been killed by their own side of the war. There was much he wished he could say to them... Much he wished he could hear them say.

Blacks and bays, dapple greys
Coach and six white horses,
Hush-a-bye, Don't you cry,
Go to sleepy little baby.


Rowan was fast asleep, nestled beside his beloved wife, and Ginny held out her arms to her husband. She knew instinctively when he needed to be held, and now was no exception.

Gladly, he went to her open embrace and she cradled his head to her bosom. He could hear her velvety voice through her chest, and he let the comfort of motherhood wash over him.

"My mum sang that song to me, and stroked my hair," he whispered making his wife smile.

"I like that picture. And now your wife sings it to your daughter. She'd be pleased."

Mammy loves, and Pappy loves,
and Mammy loves her little baby;
Go to sleep, go to sleep,
Go to sleepy little baby.


And as he started to drift off to the comforting sounds of his wife's lullaby, Draco couldn't help but think that maybe, what his mother had truly wished for him was nothing more, nor less than this... To be surrounded by loved ones. To be comfortable, and to have someone to always sing him a lullaby out of love.

Blacks and Bays, Dapple Greys,
Coach, and six white horses.
Hush-a-bye,
Don't you cry,
Go to sleepy little baby

Author notes: Awww... well that's the plot bunny finished... want to feed it a review please?

The End.
nikisasilverrain is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked Hush-A-Bye also liked 545 other stories.
Leave a Review