Chapter 4 – Moving Forward




He was sprawled across Draco’s bed with a slow smirk crawling across his face. He had just got back from the library in time to see his friend sneaking around the corridors, hoping not to be seen.

“You kissed her?” Blaise said, wide-eyed. “You’re a brave bastard, Malfoy.”

Draco paled, immediately remembering Ginny’s six brothers. Weasley didn’t scare him in the least. However, there were the twins, the one who worked for Fudge, the dragon tamer, and the long-haired one with the fang earring, the one that works for Gringotts. He shuddered at the thought of meeting them, and then there was her father.

“Malfoys never lose their composure,” replied Draco arrogantly.

Blaise smiled and leaned close. “I kissed the Mudblood.”

“You did not! Blaise, I’m terribly ashamed of you.”

But his lopsided grin told Draco he was less than guilty about his actions; on the contrary, Blaise looked happy.

“She’s really nice,” he said. “I enjoy spending time with her.”

Draco sighed. His mind was on Ginny again. “I hadn’t meant to kiss her, or for her to kiss back, actually. She was just so damned happy about Potter and Lovegood that I had to shut her up.”

“Potter and Lovegood are dating?” Blaise asked quietly. “Hermione was right, this dance is changing people.”

_________________________________


Luna found Ginny sitting by the Great Hall, a mug of hot chocolate in one hand, and a book in the other. She kept her steps quiet, noticing that her friend barely paid her any mind.

“So, you and Malfoy are…” the blonde started as she came closer.

“I don’t know what we are,” Ginny said, looking up, her brown eyes dark. “It’s just hormones.”

“Right, and me and Harry are getting married. C’mon, Gin, you know that’s not true, just like you know there’s something there between you two. I’m not an idiot – I’ve seen it for the past few weeks.”

“It’s just…”

“No, Ginny…”

“Fine!” the redhead cried, tossing her mug to the ground. “There is something going on and I’m scared. I’m afraid I might actually have feelings for him, Luna.”

Luna smiled.

“What about you and Harry? He’s a jerk when it comes down to it.”

“Maybe he just was to you, because you treated him so fragile,” the blonde said angrily.

“Like you don’t.” Ginny laughed coldly.

“No, Gin, I don’t,” said Luna flatly. “We have more in common than you think.”

“Dead parents are just one thing, Luna.”

Luna blinked at her, her large silvery eyes bright with tears. “You know, you can be a real heartless bitch sometimes.”

She was gone before Ginny could open her mouth to retort.


_________________________________


They were sitting in the common room when she walked in. Harry looked up at her furiously as she stopped and put her things down on the table by the fire.

“I heard what you said to Luna!” he shouted at her.

Ginny smiled. “So you do listen to other people when they talk! That’s news to me.”

“Why are you acting this way?” Hermione whispered anxiously, her eyes wide. “Did Malfoy-?”

“No, Hermione. Draco didn’t so anything.”

“Since when do you-?” Ron began.

“Did you enjoy your snog with Parkinson?” Ginny asked tonelessly, glancing at her brother. “You’ve got mascara all over your face.”

Ron blushed as Harry and Hermione exchanged glances.

Looking at her feet, Hermione said, “You told me it was soot from the fireplace. Is she telling the truth?”

The redheaded boy looked at her. “Yes.”

Hermione stood and exited the room without looking at anyone.

Harry smiled grimly. “I guess this is a bad time to say that Luna and I are seeing each other.”

The portrait slammed again, Harry and Ron found themselves in an empty common room. Maybe tonight was the best of nights to let some secrets out, Harry reckoned.


_________________________________


Draco, angry at being disturbed after his shower, yanked open the door to find a disheveled and sobbing redhead sitting on the floor. He touched her shoulder, and as she looked up at him, Draco felt something inside him twist. He lifted her up and held her tightly as he kicked the door shut and ushered her to his bed.

“Tell me what happened.”

Ginny shook her head and curled against him, her mouth pressed into his bare chest, her tears cool against his skin. “I didn’t mean to come here.”

“What happened?” he asked calmly.

As Ginny explained things, she noticed him listening intently to what she had to say. Despite the mess she was in, she smiled, feeling happy to finally have someone hear her when she talked. His eyes were glued to her, and there was a frown on his lips when she finished speaking.

“Your brother kissed Pansy?”

Ginny nodded.

“And she didn’t scratch his eyes out?”

She laughed.

“Well,” Draco said, stretching. “Granger should be happy. Blaise kissed her tonight.”

“He did?” she sounded surprised. “Then why is she acting this way?”

Draco shrugged. “Looks like everyone’s been kissed tonight, more or less.”

Ginny leaned over and pressed her lips against his softly. “Seems that way.”

He rolled on top of her and kissed her neck gently, his hands resting on her hips. She pulled him closer, suddenly, realizing she liked the way he made her feel. Maybe after the Masquerade, she would show her appreciation.


_________________________________


The pounding on the door was making her head hurt. Slowly, she dragged herself from her bed and yanked it open. Lavender stood there, a worried look on her face.

“This is your dorm too,” Hermione said groggily.

“You have to come with me now! It’s Ron…”

“I don’t care.”

“He wants to see you.”

“No.”

“Hermione Jane Granger!” Lavender shouted, her eyes cold. “You will come this instant and hear what he has to say to you. I won’t listen to him complain another minute.”

Hermione was clearly taken aback. She nodded and quickly looked into the mirror by her bed, frowning. “I look like a raccoon!” she cried, using her wand to fix her eyes. “You were really going to let me go down there looking like that?”

“I would have cleaned you up after his first scream,” she joked.

“Funny, really funny,” said Hermione as she followed her into the common room.

“I thought it was,” Lavender said with a small grin.
Leave a Review