Chapter 8 – Never Too Late




Tossing the gown to the floor, Ginny sighed and brushed the hair from her face. Hermione was sitting on her bed, studying, when the female Weasley’s temper peaked and she nearly dropped her book when Ginny growled in frustration. She stared at her friend and bit down on the sugar quill she was eating.

“You’ve been very rattled for the past day and a half. What happened between you and Malfoy?” Hermione asked.

His name is Draco, Ginny wanted to shout. Instead, she shook her head sadly.

“I’m not going to the dance.”

“How come?” the brunette asked, her eyes scanning her textbook.

Ginny shrugged. “I’m dateless now.”

Hermione blinked and frowned as she slid from the bed to stand in front of the mirror. “I don’t want to see you not go just because you had a row with your boyfriend.”

Ginny knew it made her uncomfortable to define them. “He's just overreacting,” she replied, tying her red hair up in a ponytail and gazing at reflection. She stood beside Hermione, making faces in the mirror. “Besides, I know he didn’t mean what he said.”

“What did he say?”

Just as Ginny was going to explain, the door to the dorm flew open, and Lavender stalked in, her face red. She hadn’t made eye contact with the other girls, but when she did, they saw her face was streaked with tears. She collapsed onto her bed and let out a soft whimper, sniffling quietly.

“You look awful. What happened?” Hermione said, turning around.

“He…Seamus…with me…” she babbled incoherently, her sobs getting louder now.

“You two were dating?” Ginny muttered. “I thought you hated him.”

Lavender shook her head vigorously and let out a long, mournful whine.

“What about you and Malfoy?” she asked.

“We kind of had a fight.”

Lavender stared at her. “You did?”

“She’s thinking of not attending the ball,” Hermione supplied when Ginny failed to reply.

“Oh, no you can’t! You have to go!”

“What for?” Ginny spat out almost harshly.

“Draco will still be there…”

“Yes, he will, and probably looking ravishing…”

“See, that’s why you should go!”

“I don’t have anything to wear.”

Lavender grinned. “I think I can help you with that.”


______________________


Draco watched his reflection in the mirror. He swept his wet hair out of his face and sighed. He was half dressed for the ball that was in approximately three hours. He stared at himself and his lip quirked into a tiny smile.

“You look very nice.”

It was Pansy, leaning on the doorjamb of his bathroom, looking stunning; her long, dark hair was in curls, and she was wearing a curvy red dress that reached her toes. She smiled at him.

“You look lovely.”

“Would you like to escort me there?” she asked.

Draco looked startled. “Isn’t Weasley taking you?”

Pansy’s eyes brightened at the question and she shook her head. “We had a row.”

“Sounds familiar,” Malfoy muttered, fixing his tie.

“I bet she’s more upset that you two fought than her not coming tonight.”

Draco stopped what he was doing and turned around, his eyes wide. “What do you mean she’s not going?”

Pansy shrugged. “That’s what I heard Ron telling the Mudblood.”

“Her name is Hermione…” muttered a voice from behind Pansy.

Blaise grinned at them, looking comfortable in his tux. He leaned on the other part of the door, and Draco watched his two friends gazing at him suspiciously.

“So, are you going to apologize when you see her?” Blaise asked.

“No.”

Pansy smirked quickly. “I think he is,” she whispered.

“You’re daft, Parkinson,” Draco said, sneering.

“And you’re in love.”

Oh, shit.

______________________



Ginny and Hermione entered the Great Hall, which looked marvelous, looking around at everyone. Harry and Ron were among the first boys there, and they both looked on the verge of throwing something. Harry’s eyes connected with Ginny and he glared at her. Hermione shrugged at her friend and walked over to him.

“You look stunning,” a voice murmured in her ear, startling her.

She faced him with a blank stare. He was wearing a nice tux, an elegant black and silver mask, and a tempting smile. She watched his steely eyes roaming over her body, and then he grabbed her around the waist and pulled her close, so that she could smell his cologne.

Ginny blushed as he licked his lips. Her eyes caught his briefly, and he brushed his lips against hers.

“I’m sorry for being such a jerk,” he whispered, taking her hand and leading her to the nearest table to sit down.

Ginny watched Hermione dancing with Blaise across the room.

“She looks good in blue,” she said softly.

Draco smiled. “Granger looks nice, yes, but you look ravishing.” He pressed his lips to her neck and was very satisfied to hear her moan.

“Gin!”

Luna Lovegood came bouncing in, looking amazing in a halter dress with a deep V-neckline and fitting bodice that was accentuated with delicate sequins and stone work that elegantly flowed with the silhouette of the gown into a flared floor-length skirt.

Taken aback that she was even being spoken to, Ginny said, “You look gorgeous.”

“So do you. Where did you get your dress?”

“Lavender,” Ginny replied.

Luna squeaked. “Oh, she looks awesome.”

Lavender waved at them from across the room wearing a stunning red, soft georgette dress, with a fine detailed handkerchief hem.

Ginny smiled as Luna wandered over to find Harry. When she kissed him softly, Ginny looked at Draco.

“I know you don’t want him,” Draco admitted. “But, sometimes, it scares me, because I think you do.”

Ginny pressed her lips to his suddenly and whispered, “The only one I want is you. Forever, if you’ll have me. I love you.”

He smiled broadly at her and stood, taking her with him. “What do you say about a long walk along the grounds?

“I think that would be all right.”

_______________________

Author notes:

On my other account are the images for the dresses at the end of this chapter. I'm told that the mask links aren't working, so I'll try and fix that.


www.fanfiction.net/~reversebeauty

Leave a Review