Chapter 9 – Modern Chemistry





They had just walked back through the crowds of people and were in the Entrance Hall when Harry and Luna emerged from the Great Hall. Ginny lifted her mask and blinked at her former boyfriend, as Luna nudged him and pulled him down the corridor, away from what everyone knew would turn ugly if it continued.

Without a snide remark or hurtfully obvious comment, Draco tightened his grip on her hand, and they walked through the door to the grounds. The air had become chillier since this morning. He held her close, hoping the heat from his body would warm her. When Ginny shuddered from the cold, Draco flicked his wand and conjured a heavy, velvet cloak.

She almost looked relieved as she slipped the rich material over her bare shoulders and glanced at him.

“Thank you,” she said softly.

He nodded curtly and led her down by the lake. “There’s something about being out here right now that’s just…breathtaking.”

Ginny stopped and blinked at him. “What did you do with the real Draco Malfoy?”

He smiled and pressed his lips against hers. “That is what I mean.”

Ginny looked out past the lake and her eyes grew wide; the moon had come out from its hiding and was making the water, as well as them and the grounds, shimmer. “It’s so pretty.”

“I rarely brought any girls out here when I first saw it,” Draco confessed lightly. He sat down, pulling her onto his lap. “Can I ask you something?”

“What is it?” Ginny asked, moving a strand of blond hair from his face.

Draco’s gray eyes brightened slightly. “Did you ever think this would happen all because of a stupid dance?”

Ginny stared at him and said honestly, “No, I didn’t.”

He frowned.

“It’s strange, don’t you think?” He brushed his lips against her neck.

“Stranger things have happened,” Ginny whispered, her voice cracking slightly as she squirmed.

He smiled and leaned back against the giant oak tree, her head pressed against his shoulder. Neither spoke as the clouds overhead dusted the sky with white fluff and the stars shined brightly with the moon. Ginny curled closer to him and stretched her arm out across his chest, shutting her eyes.

“Did you really mean what you said in there?” The words slipped out before he could stop them.

She nodded. “I think so.”

“We have good chemistry,” he said with a shrug. “I don’t know why but we do.”

“I think so too.”

_____________________________


They came back within an hour of the dance ending, looking suspicious.

Hermione nudged Blaise, and he eyed his mate carefully. “They couldn’t have...” he muttered to himself.

“She barely knows him,” said the brunette anxiously.

Blaise smirked, excused himself, and walked towards them. He could hear Hermione ranting as he closed in on Draco.

Draco stood with his arm was around Ginny’s waist. He was looking around smugly with a goblet in his hand and as he took a sip, saw his friend, and waved him over.

Ginny’s eyes narrowed slightly at his approach.

“Someone doesn’t look like she’s having a good time,” he intoned quietly to the redhead.

Ginny glanced at Draco and stood on her tiptoes to kiss his ear.

“Can we go?” she whispered.

He nodded briefly and grinned at Blaise. “She’s not feeling good.”

“I’m sure she isn’t.”

Ginny glared at him.

Zabini smiled kindly and kissed her cheek. “You look radiant, Ginevra.”

When Ginny’s eyes widened, Draco stepped in front of Blaise. “Don’t you have a date to be getting back to?” he asked snidely.

His fingers tightened around hers as they exited the Hall for the second time that night. Walking down the corridor to an unknown destination, Ginny found herself thinking about the way Harry looked at her, and suddenly she felt very uncomfortable. When she stopped walking, Draco glanced behind his shoulder.

“All right?” he asked.

“I just didn’t like the way Harry was looking at me before,” she confessed, swallowing nervously.

“Are you feeling okay? You look pale.” Draco watched her closely, and as soon as she shut her eyes, her knees trembled and she collapsed. He caught her immediately and moved the hair from her face, looking around for any sign of help. When he couldn't find anyone, he headed to the Slytherin common room.

_____________________________


Ginny felt a wet, warm something being pressed against her forehead. She coughed and opened her eyes to find Draco sitting at her side, caressing her cheek.

He bent and brushed his lips against her hair and whispered, “I’ve been taking care of you for a few hours. You passed out.”

“I …what happened to me?” Ginny asked groggy, rubbing her head.

“You caught a fever, somehow, and you collapsed in the hallway when we were leaving the Great Hall. How come you wanted to leave? We never got to dance.”

Ginny frowned and said, “Would you have really wanted everyone looking at us?”

His face twitched suddenly and his lip curled. “Do you have something to be ashamed of? They would only stare, and be jealous I hope, because you’re beautiful and you’re on the arm of one of the richest heirs in London.

“The only jealous one would be Harry,” said Ginny, sitting up.

Draco closed his eyes and dragged a hand down in his face, growling in frustration. “Why do you always bring him up?”

“I…” Ginny opened her mouth to speak, but closed it when she noticed his tone. “Are you…you are, aren’t you? You’re jealous.”

He glared at her and stood up. “Malfoys don’t get jealous.”

Ginny smiled. “Of course they do!” she said, giggling. “You’re a man, and it’s a known fact that you can get horribly jealous when someone else is moving in on your property.”

Draco’s lips twitched slightly, and he bent over, his face inches only from hers. “You’re my property?” he asked softly, his long fingers stroking locks of fiery-colored hair.

Ginny cocked her head and sat back on her knees, her hands on his shoulders as she kissed him lightly. “I just request that you never, ever sell me to anyone else.” She pulled him on the bed with her and grinned when his lips fell against her collarbone.

“I wouldn’t dream of it,” he replied honestly with a smirk.
Leave a Review