Making my way downtown
Walking fast
Faces pass and I'm homebound

Staring blankly ahead
Just making my way
I'm making my way
through the crowd

Ginny was strolling down Diagon Alley. Her eyes were browsing the shop windows, but nothing made its way to her brain. Her original plan was to buy some clothes for her little baby girl, but ever since she had set foot in the Leaky Cauldron, she had been flooded with memories of Draco. She missed him so much. It was like there was a knot tied just below her heart that just kept getting tighter and tighter.

It had been three months since she had left Draco. Three painful months had passed where there were constant reminders of him around her, the worst of which was Athena, her little girl. She might have inherited Ginny’s flaming red hair, but her eyes were the ice-blue color of Draco’s that she had loved so much.

After she had left, she fled immediately to the burrow, where her parents still lived with Harry, who had somehow managed to stay single. It was the first time she had come back home for a long while. She hated bringing Draco home with her since all of her brothers hated him with a passion and enjoyed openly insulting him. What hurt her even more was that her parents never did much to stop them from hurting her and her husband. It was as though they had disowned her to an extent ever since she had married Draco. The only ones who had supported her through this were Hermione and Cho. She smiled to herself. Cho Chang, of all people, had come through for her exactly when she needed her.

When she got to the burrow, she found that her parents had gone to a party regarding some important person’s promotion. No one had been home except for Cho, Harry’s girlfriend at the time. Cho took one look at her tear stained cheeks and puffy eyes and pulled her into a warm embrace. After that, the whole story had just rolled out of Ginny’s heart. Even then, she had no idea what she and Draco had fought over; however, she had concluded that if it was enough to make her leave, then she daren’t go back. Cho had just pursed her lips at this comment and kept silent. She understood exactly what a person wanted when they had just lost their heart. Of course, she had been much younger when Cedric had died, but one doesn’t forget the feeling of emptiness that seems to take over their entity. She had advised Ginny to find a distraction of sorts to keep her alive, in a sense. She needed to find something else, or someone else, to live for.

A few weeks later, Ginny had given birth to her grey-eyed Athena. That little child had brought both joy and sorrow into her life. She preferred to lock the sorrow away into a corner of her broken heart and focus on the smile Athena had brought to everyone’s faces. She, of all her siblings, was the first to give her parents a grandchild. They all loved to shower both Ginny and Athena with gifts and it was Hermione, the Mythological Scholar, who had dubbed her with the title of grey-eyed. Ginny loved Hermione; she could take something, like Athena’s blue-grey eyes that belonged to Draco, and turn them into something so wonderful.

“Ginny!”

Ginny whipped her head around in the direction of the voice. “Cho!” she cried out, “I haven’t seen you in such a long time. What have you been up to?”

“Nothing much; ever since Harry and I broke up, I’ve had so much extra time that I don’t know what to do with it. How ‘bout you? What’s that little devil of yours been up to lately?”

Athena had proven to be quite a handful lately. She was barely two months old and she always seemed to be unsatisfied.

“She’s been quite subdued lately, but you never know when she’s going to break out again.”

“I wanted to ask you…are you still staying at the burrow?”

“Yeah, it’s so tense there. No one ever forgets that she’s also Draco’s baby.”

“Did you wanna come live with me? I know that this is kind of sudden and that you’re still all wrapped up with Athena and everything. But ever since Harry and I broke up, I’ve been looking for a place to stay, and I found this absolutely gorgeous place in muggle London, except its way too big for me and I was just wondering…”

“Of course, I’d love to stay with you. As long as you don’t mind Athena’s crying at night.”

“Don’t worry, I wouldn’t mind at all,” she smiled at Ginny, “Come on, lemme show you the place. It’s close enough to walk.”

And I need you
And I miss you
And now I wonder

If I could fall into the sky
Do you think time would pass me by
Cause you know I'd walk a thousand miles
If I could just see you.... tonight

It was at times like these when she missed Draco the most. She recalled the era when they were a newly married couple searching for a house. Draco was still an employee at the store then, and they had to find some way to survive on his meager salary. She remembered how quickly he had been repeatedly promoted. She remembered how happy they had both been, as though they hadn’t another care in the world.

She wondered if Draco thought of her at all. The knot tightened. She wondered if there was someone else. Draco had always been conceited, especially about his looks. It was something she had loved about him. Knowing him, he would have found a new chick to woo in a few moments. From what she remembered of their last conversation, he had virtually kicked her out of the house. No, he wouldn’t be thinking of her at all; on the contrary, he was probably relieved when she finally left.

Would Draco be wishing to see Athena, or would he have forgotten that he was a married man with a baby girl. She would love to see him, no matter what the cost. Sometimes the ache in her chest would get so painful that she actually considered going back after all he had done to her. She wouldn’t mind walking a million miles just so that she could get a glance at him, even if he had another chick on his arm, or if he was laughing with Zabini about the latest quiddich match.

She just needed to see his face: those beautiful chiseled features of his nose and chin, and the ice blue eyes of his, and that blond hair that was just barely visible since he had gotten it cut really close to his head so that it would stay out of his way.

She thought back once again to their carefree days as lovers. The warmth that had been absent for so long crept up her body and loosened the knot in her chest. She recalled how Draco had always brought her white lilies everyday when they met for lunch back when they were dating. Her apartment had never been devoid of them for months. Even when he was sent on a business trip, he would make sure that she received them in some way or another.

“Ginny,” Cho called pulling her out of her thoughts, “we’re here.”

She looked up at the house. There wasn’t anything that was really special about it, but the place warmed her heart, as did Cho’s presence, which had always been a comforting one, especially of late.

“It’s wonderful!” she exclaimed. “When can we move in?”

“Whenever you’re ready.”

“I’m ready. Lemme just gather all my stuff, and I’ll be here tomorrow morning.”

“Sounds good,” she was grinning from ear to ear, “I’ll see you in the morning.”

It's always times like these
When I think of you
And wonder if you ever think of me

Cause everything's so wrong
And I don't belong
Livin' in your precious memory

Cause I need you
And I miss you
And now I wonder

If I could fall into the sky
Do you think time would pass me by
Cause you know I'd walk a thousand miles
If I could just see you.... tonight

She and Cho had gotten on wonderfully for the last three months, and she had finally gone back to work at St. Mungos. Cho had been ever so helpful in taking care of Athena. Lately, they had been working her really hard despite the fact that she was still recovering from her pregnancy. Ginny had been urging Cho to not let herself and Athena come in the way of dating, but she had assured Ginny time and again that there really wasn’t anyone, and if there was, she would let her know immediately.

When Ginny did finally get some days off to stay at home, Athena kept her busy enough. Sometimes Cho did take over for her on these days and let Ginny sleep the day through. She understood how difficult this was on Ginny. She was once training to be a healer herself before she switched gears and became an Auror.

Ever since they had moved in, her thoughts of Draco had been slightly subdued, as had her pain. Lately she had been catching glances of him at St. Mungos. She always wondered if he was there looking for her or if he was looking for another girl. Either way, she didn’t want to talk to him and always managed to find a way to disappear before he saw her.

“You know Ginny,” Cho started one day as they sat on the couch drinking some coffee, “don’t you think its time that you talk to Draco about what happened?”

“I know I should, Cho, but I guess I’m kind of scared.”

“What’s there to be scared of?” Ginny looked away. “Oh, come on. What’s the worst that can happen?”

“There could be someone else,” Ginny whispered.

“No, he could be dead, and you could have never gotten a chance to say that you really did love him.” Ginny looked at her with wide eyes. “It’s quite obvious that you do. You wouldn’t be moping for this long if you didn’t love him.”

“Yeah, but I don’t think I could bear it if he told me there was someone else.”

“If not for yourself, then at least do it for Athena. Draco has a right to know his daughter, and she has a right to see her father.”

Ginny sighed, “I’ll look for him.” Cho understood that was as close to agreeing as Ginny would get and let the subject drop.

“I think that it’s time that you got out of the house. Come on, I’ll take you out to dinner.”

“And Athena?”

“I’ll talk to Hermione.”

And I,I don't want to let you know
I,I drown in your memory
I,I don't want to let this go
I,I don't

Makin' my way downtown
Walking fast
Faces past and I'm homebound

Staring blankly ahead
Just makin' my way
I'm makin' a way
Through the crowd

And I still need you
And I still miss you
And now I wonder

If I could fall into the sky
Do you think time would pass us by
Cause you know I'd walk a thousand miles
If I could just see you..

wooooooooooooooo

If I could fall in to the sky
Do you think time would pass me by
Cause you know I'd walk a thousand miles
If I could just see you

If I could just hold you...tonight

They had just entered a French restaurant when Ginny caught sight of Draco with Zabini.

“Cho—”

“You’ve gotta face him sometime. What better time than now?”

Draco caught her eye and started making his way through the crowd to her.

“Excuse me ladies,” Zabini said taking Cho’s hand and kissing it. “Ginny, it’s a pleasure to see you.” He then turned his eyes to Cho: “And who might this fine lady be?”

“That, Blaise,” she said smiling, “is my good friend Cho. Do be nice to her.”

“No need to doubt me. I’m a perfect gentleman, I can assure you.”

“As vain as ever Blaise,” she replied.

Music started up in the background. “May I have the honor of this dance,” he asked Cho cordially.

“Why of course,” she replied as he pulled her to the dance floor.

“I remembered when we once used to dance like that,” Draco said wistfully.

“It hasn’t been that long,” she replied offering him her hand, “I’m sure I would love to dance if you were up to it.”

“Gods Ginny, you have no idea how long I’ve been waiting to dance with you again.”

Author notes: Please read and review
--Draco's Devil

To Be Continued.
Dracoz Devil is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Hate to Leave also liked 258 other stories.
Leave a Review