Chapter 2 – The Meeting



The Three Broomsticks provided a nice atmosphere for Ginny as she settled into one of their rooms. She knew that if her family was to look for her, they would immediately try her flat, and be very disappointed. She made certain to take only the essential things she needed, so that if her mother or brothers showed up, they couldn’t track her.


As she reached the last step and gazed out into the pub, she caught sight of someone leaning across the counter to have a word with the bartender; he caught her staring, and a slow, easy smile formed on his lips as he brushed a hand through his short, blond hair. Ginny blinked and shook her head - there was no way that was who she thought it was.

Ginny walked past the bar without a second glance and outside into the cool air. As she began to walk in the direction of Honeydukes, she heard a voice behind her. At first, she kept going, trying hard to ignore the familiarity in the tone and it wasn’t until she felt a hand touch her shoulder that she whirled around.

He stood a few feet from her, dressed in expensive black silk, his white-blond hair shaggy in his eyes. Ginny squinted and held her hand over her eyes to shield the sunlight, so she could get a better look.

His lips curved in a smirk and he nodded. “Ginny Weasley, you look lovely. I see the years have been kind to you. How have you been?”

“I…” she sputtered, glancing sideways at him. “It is you, isn’t it?”

“It’s very nice of you to remember.”

“H-How have you been?”

He frowned slowly. “You haven’t answered my question yet.”

“Oh! I’m sorry,” Ginny muttered. “I’ve been, well you see, things have been difficult for the past few months.”

Draco Malfoy gave her what was a genuine look of concern and said, “How so? From what I’ve heard you’ve been doing quite well for yourself, as of late.”

Ginny blushed slightly at his words. “My job is lovely, don’t get me wrong, it’s just other things have been strange.”

Draco chose this time to lean against one of the shops windows. He crossed his arms over his chest and sighed. “I suppose with someone like Harry Potter living so close, it’s hard for you to concentrate.”

“But I’m not…” Ginny started.

“Believe me, I’m not here to judge you. It’s been seven years – I’ve grown up, Ginevra, and I would hope you would have too. I’m not the spiteful, vindictive bastard I was when we went to school together.”

“Do you still hate him?” Ginny wondered as she stepped into Honeydukes. Malfoy followed close behind and chuckled at her question.

“The only person I hate is my father, Ginny,” he said softly as two giggling girls swept past him. “That,” he said at the redhead’s suspicious look, “is what’s been happening for weeks now, ever since my promotion.”

“Promotion?” Ginny said. “So you work for a big company?”

Draco smiled slightly and brushed a hand through his hair as he watched her examining the rows of candy. “I work for the Ministry now. It’s nice.”

Ginny had picked up a sugar-quill and was tapping it against her palm lightly. “I’m an Auror. I recently went to America actually for one of the cases they needed me for.”

Draco’s gray eyes flickered gently. “Ah, I was wondering when we were going to discuss the topic of Devon Russell.”

“You knew about him?” Ginny sounded surprised.

He grinned. “You both seemed very happy together from the article in the Daily Prophet.”

“You still read that?” Ginny said as she paid for a licorice wand, sugar quill, chocolate frogs and ton-tongue toffee. As they exited the shop, she turned to face him. “Would you like to have tea? I feel terrible for running out on you before.”

“You didn’t do much running,” Draco smiled. “But, yes, that would be nice.”

They settled for Madam Puddifoot’s Tea Shop. Just as they entered, Ginny noticed a substantial change in the atmosphere, and as they sat as close to the back as possible, Draco snorted lightly.

“Why are we hiding?” he asked.

“We’re not,” lied Ginny. The truth was that she suspected one of her family members come here. What would they do if they saw her with the alleged Death Eater? “I just like it better back here.”

Draco frowned and folded his hands behind his head, leaning back.

“I know when someone is lying, girl.”

Ginny blinked at him, her bottom lip quivering. “I ran away from home.”

Draco stared at her. “You ran away…from a home you don’t even live at anymore, and haven’t for the past six years?”

Ginny nodded. “I guess it sounds a little dumb.”

“What happened that made you leave?” Draco inquired.

Ginny blushed and started to play with the silverware on the table. Before she could answer, they were interrupted by one of the waitresses, and they each ordered lemon tea and a basket of biscuits. When the woman left with their order, Ginny was still playing with one of the forks, her eyes avoiding Draco’s.

“Weasley?”

“I’m sorry, what did you say?” Ginny muttered, looking at him.

The former Slytherin eyed her curiously. “It had to do with Potter, didn’t it?”

A slow nod.

“How did you know?” she asked as their tea was set in front of them. Ginny clasped hers tightly.

“He’s always had that affect on you,” Draco said calmly. “Did he move on or something?”

Ginny’s eyes widened, and she looked on the verge of tears.

“I’m sorry,” he said softly. “I shouldn’t have pried.”

“It’s okay,” she said sipping her tea. “Maybe I shouldn’t have left.”

Draco shrugged. “You did what you thought was right. Besides, it’s not like you were expecting that when you got back.”

Ginny thought that Draco Malfoy wasn’t so bad anymore.

As they drank their tea, they talked about different things: her family, his father and mother, her fascination with books, and his enjoyment of sweets. Ginny grinned and reached into her bag to hand him a sugar quill.

“These bring back memories,” he said with a frown. “Hey, Ginny?”

“Hm?” she mumbled, taking a biscuit.

“Do you ever wish you could go back to Hogwarts?”

“All the time, Draco, all the time.”
Leave a Review