Chapter 6 – Learning To Fall





Ginny watched the exchange of glares and trembling bottom lips before she stood up. The boys had not broken eye contact since Harry’s arrival, and when she stepped forward to block them, neither moved. Ginny paid close attention to the fact that Harry had reached for his wand.

“Excuse me, but this is my home, and you won’t be blowing anyone or anything up today!” shouted the redhead, finally able to get their attention. “I don’t want an incident like this morning.”

Draco turned to her, his gray eyes gleaming. “Would you rather we took this outside?”

Ginny shook her head. “No, that won’t be necessary. Harry—” She turned to face him. “Why exactly are you here?”

Harry sighed and said, “Molly wants you home. Hermione’s left to go back to the Burrow, and your boyfriend has gone back to America. I knew I couldn’t trust Mione to bring you home, so that’s why I’m here.”

Ginny blinked.

“He’s not her boyfriend anymore,” Draco said, glancing at her. “Right?”

To his surprise, the redhead gave a nod.

“We’re through,” she said, inclining her head to Malfoy. “I loved him, but I guess he didn’t feel the same.”

“So, when do you want to go back?” Harry interrupted, not liking the exchange between his former lover and his enemy. “I bet Molly is getting more worried by the hour.”

Ginny sat back down and stared at Harry. “I’m not coming home, I’ve told you, Harry. I’m twenty-five, I don’t live there anymore, I live here, and they need to deal with it.”

“But she’s concerned…”

“She just doesn’t want to end up with someone like Malfoy, so she’s keeping bloody tabs on me.”

Draco shrugged. “Maybe you should go home. I can always see you tomorrow.”

As he stood to leave, he glared at Harry, and brushed a hand through his hair. Ginny put her hand on his arm, urging him not to go.

“Why do you care?” Ginny shot at Harry. “You’re with Hermione, remember?”

“I don’t want you hurt,” he said firmly.

“Why the bloody hell would I hurt her?” Draco demanded, suddenly stopping in his tracks as he moved to the door, his eyes dark. “What could I possibly gain from that?”

Harry’s lips curled disdainfully. “Because you’re a Malfoy,” he said.

“You really are daft, aren’t you, Potter?” Draco smirked. “I like her!” he said. He paled slightly, noticing that she had in fact heard him, and when he turned around, Ginny was blushing fiercely.

Harry blinked. “Are you serious?”

Draco’s eyes softened. “Yes, Scarhead, I am.”

Ginny felt as though the day couldn’t get any worse.

As if to prove her point, there was a loud pop, and Molly Weasley appeared beside Harry, along with Bill.

“What’s this?” said Bill. “What is Lucius Malfoy’s son doing here?”

Molly caught sight of Draco and gasped. “Oh, if your father knew…”

His temper flared, and he didn’t bother to stop it. “Excuse me, Mrs. Weasley, but I don’t think your husband would mind my being here since my father’s dead, or have you forgotten?”

Ginny’s eyes widened, but she never said a word.

Bill, on the other hand, glared. “Why is he here with you, Ginny? Mum specifically sent Harry to come get you.”

“We met in the Three Broomsticks,” said Ginny. “We got to talking and, actually, had a nice time.”

“But…what about…?” Molly muttered.

“Devon?” Harry said. “Oh, he went home. He just couldn’t stand seeing Ginny with that git, and I don’t blame him.”

“Of course you would,” Ginny snapped. “Because if I’m not with you, then I can’t be with anyone, right, Harry?”

“Ginevra Molly Weasley!” her mother said tersely.

“Enough!” Ginny suddenly shouted. “Everyone out!”

“Gin…” Bill started.

“I’m sorry, but I need everyone to leave now.” Ginny sank onto the couch and put her head in her hands. “Except you,” she added quietly, grabbing Draco’s wrist.

Draco gave a tiny smile and sank down beside her as her family and Harry Disapparated without much argument.

Ginny grinned and folded her legs underneath herself, staring at his profile. She wanted to reach out and run her fingers though his hair. Idly, she moved closer to him, leaning her head against his shoulder. His sudden stiffness made her uneasy.

“Are you all right?” Ginny asked.

He glanced at her and his mouth quirked slightly, his hand coming to brush a stray strand of red hair out of her face. His eyes searched hers, and immediately he wanted to press his lips to hers, to feel the warmth he knew he body held, to draw her toward him, much like Devon had done when they first encountered one another; he had stood in the back and watched, feeling increasingly jealous.

He watched her eyes light up slowly, and she put her hand on his knee.

Brave, Weasley, he thought with a smirk as he opened his mouth to speak, but she cut him off.

“Do you have somewhere to be tonight?”

He wanted to nod. “No, I don’t.”

“D-do you want to, I mean if you really want to, go out to dinner with me?”

“Why, Weasley,” he drawled. “Are you asking me out on a date? What would your family think?” His face broke into a rather uncharacteristic grin.

“It’s just dinner,” mumbled the redhead, clearly embarrassed.

“All right, but just dinner,” Draco said. “No funny business, or I’ll be forced to hex you.”

Ginny smiled broadly.

An hour later, Ginny appeared at the bottom of the stairs in her home, wearing a low-cut black dress that reached just above her knees. She watched Draco’s eyes roam over her, and she felt her heart speed up.

After all, it was only dinner, what else could go wrong?

As they exited her flat, Draco insisted that she walk ahead of him. Dear God, he thought miserably, his eyes on her all the way to the street. This is going to be harder than I thought.
Leave a Review