Draco paused in his telling of the story as he felt the heavy weight of his sleeping daughters on his arm. He looked over and saw Ginny watching him with a smile on her face.

“What are you smiling at?” Draco asked softly so as not to wake the children.

“You. You and the girls remind me of when Ron and I used to fall asleep on my Dad’s lap.” Ginny smiled at the memory.

“Let’s get them up to bed, so Daddy can tuck Mummy in to bed.” Draco said softly with a wicked grin on his face.

“What kind of example for the children is that?” Ginny said with a mock frown.

“A really good one, in how to be crazy about your spouse.”

Ginny rolled her eyes at that comment, and shook her head.

Draco leaned forward to balance the weight of the two girls, so he could get out of his chair.

“Mow stowy Daddy.” Marissa mumbled in her sleep.

“Ssshhhhh Sweet-pea. We’ll have more story tomorrow night.” Draco murmured softly in her ear.

“Oh-tay.”

“Let me have Shannon,” Ginny whispered as she disentangled herself from the boys. “We’ll put the girls down and the come back for the boys. Come on Shannon.”

“Mummy?” Shannon mumbled sleepily, “Want more Dwagon.” She said as she fell back asleep after wrapping her arms around her mothers’ neck.

“Tomorrow sweetheart. Daddy will tell more of the story tomorrow. Let’s get you to bed.”

Ginny and Draco, holding their girls, made there way up the stairs to the girls’ respective rooms. They tucked them in and then switched rooms so the other could say good night as well. They met back in the hallway. Draco took Ginny’s hand and brought it to his lips. He kept it linked with his as they went back into the library.

“You take David, and I’ll get Jason.” Draco said softly.

Ginny nodded and moved toward the two boys sprawled out on the sofa. Their fiery red and silver hair mixing together as their heads touched.

Ginny picked up her silver haired son, David. He stirred for a minute and they locked eyes brown to brown for a moment, before he dropped his head onto her shoulder.

“Is story over Mummy?” David asked as he wrapped his arms around her.

“No baby. Daddy is going to continue it tomorrow.”

“I not a baby Mummy ” David argued stubbornly. ”’Thaniel the baby.”

“Ok David.” Ginny said soothingly, stroking his silver hair, as she made her way up the stairs to the bedroom he shared with Jason. “Nathaniel’s the baby. Can’t you be Mummy’s baby for tonight?”

“’Kay. I lub you Mummy.” David said sleepily as his drifted shut once more.

“I know you do. I love you too.” Ginny said as she stoked his back.

Ginny followed Draco into the boys’ bedroom. The charmed ceiling, that looked like a star filled sky cast a faint glow on the room. The boys had decided two years ago, that they wanted to share a room. Whether that would continue, as they grew older was anybody’s guess.

Draco took her hand and with a gentle squeeze pulled her from the room. Draco pulled her to him in a hug as they stood in the doorway, watching their sons. Jason was already so buried under the blanket you could barely see his bright red hair.

“We did good didn’t we Gin?” Draco asked as kissed the top of her head.

“We did beautiful.” Ginny responded as she reveled in being held close.

Draco and Ginny left the doorway and walked down the hall toward their bedroom. They had compromised on the location of their bedroom, when the house was being built. Ginny had wanted to be close to the children in case they needed her. Draco wanted to be far enough away that they didn’t hear anything they shouldn’t.

When they reached the nursery, that was located across the hall from their bedroom they peeked in at Nathaniel. He was content and asleep in his crib.

Draco gently pulled Ginny into their bedroom and shut the door behind them. As soon as the door closed he attacked her mouth in a ferocious kiss that Ginny returned with equal fervor. They broke apart with a huge grin decorating both their faces.

“Remember when we would have thought going to bed at 9:30 was a punishment?” Ginny asked Draco as they started their nightly ritual.

It would begin with getting their nightclothes ready and taking turns in the bathroom while they undressed for bed. Their way of being together, yet having their own space. A way they could catch up on what happened to the other during the day.

“Draco?” Ginny asked as she took off all her jewelry except her engagement and wedding rings, and began brushing her hair. “Mum wants us to come to supper this weekend, the whole family is going to be there. Except for the kids that are at Hogwarts, of course. She also wants to know about Christmas.”

“Are we looking at Saturday or Sunday?” Draco called from the bathroom.

“Sunday, that’s the day Katie can get away from Hogwarts and come with Percy and the kids. It’s also the best day for the rest of my brothers. Charlie and Laura as well as Bill and Fleur are here for the next 3 weeks. This year everyone will be at the Burrow for Christmas. Harry’ll be there too. Mum’s in grandbaby heaven.” Ginny said with a smirk.

“You’d think she’d be there any ways with almost thirty Grandchildren in England.” Draco said with a smile as he exited the bathroom wearing charcoal-grey flannel pajama bottoms. “Are Charlie and Laura excited about him teaching at Hogwarts next year?”

“Yes, Laura can’t wait to see the school. She’s so muggle. She’s absolutely enchanted with the idea of being near a magic school. Percy and Katie are helping them find a place to live near them. Besides Jennifer and Paul are kind of close in age.” Ginny said as walked past him with her nightshirt in her hands. Draco snaked his arm out and brought her close to his side. Ginny wrapped her arms around his waist and enjoyed being held close to his chest as his heart beat next to her ear.

Draco tipped her head back for a kiss when his brow furrowed and he drew his finger down the side of her face. “You look tired love.”

Ginny went up on her toes and softly brushed her lips against his. “I’m fine sweetie. You worry too much.”

“I’m not the one with seven older brothers, who would take great delight in taking me apart piece by piece if I wasn’t taking care of their baby sister.” Draco grumbled. “I love you Ginny, but we made a deal. I agreed we could have a big family, and you could still have your career. I know that your career is important to you. You agreed to have a nanny and other servants to help you take care of the kids, our home, and me. Remember? I don’t want you stretching yourself too thin. We can have it all, you just need to remember not to try and do it all by yourself.”

“I know but my mum was able to watch all seven of us with no help.”

Draco put his finger to her lips. “You know I love your Mum, to bits. Your mum didn’t work outside the home and that was her choice. You also made your choice. Go get changed we’ll talk more when we are snuggled in bed. We always talk better that way.”

“Talk? Is that what we do? I could have sworn we did more than that. Isn’t that how we got seven kids of our own?” Ginny said as she scooted into their luxurious bathroom done in all the shades of blue known to man. From the dark almost blue-black marble of the tub and shower, to the palest of white-blue in the sheer curtains that hung at the bay window overlooking her garden. Ginny slipped out of her clothes and into the charcoal-grey top that matched Draco’s bottoms and brushed her teeth.

Ginny turned out the light as she went back into their bedroom. She shook her head as she remembered the ‘discussions’ she and Draco had in the decorating of their bedroom. He still liked green and silver, typical Slytherin, and just get his ire up she told him she wanted red and gold. They finally compromised in pulling together a bedroom that used deep purples, blues, greens and reds on the bed and at the windows with the palest of silver gray accents. Ginny stood there for a minute just watching her husband of almost ten years read a book. Patiently waiting for her to join him so they could hold each other close and talk. She swallowed a laugh as she remembered how most of those conversations ended. In fact 5 of the results of those particular ‘conversations’ were sleeping in other bedrooms down and across the hall.

Ginny climbed into their bed and in between the silky grey sheets and snuggled up close to Draco. He pulled her close as they semi-reclined on the pillows of the bed. They linked hands and just enjoyed the moment of quiet peace that surrounded them at night when they were like this.

“Happy Ginny?” Draco asked as he kissed her temple.

“Yes, I’m very happy. I just wish I didn’t feel so guilty. That’s why I try to do so much. Look at what we have. Draco, we have seven incredible and beautiful children, a large home, and more money in the bank then we could spend in twenty lifetimes, yet you and I both work. Maybe I’m just being selfish. It’s not like we need the money I bring in. May be I should just stay home with the kids. I can go back to work when they are older. Neither your mother or my mother worked.”

Draco held her close and let her vent. He leaned his head onto hers and smelled her rose shampoo. Draco stroked her back until Ginny stopped talking. “Ok. Lets get a few things straight. First, we both work because we aren’t the types of people that just sit on our bums and spend money. Second, our mothers were a different generation then we are. They were raised you had a family or you had a career, it couldn’t be both. I happen to know both our mothers think you are a wonderful mum to our kids. Third, in the beginning you had to have a career. You had to support Nick and Ally. Even with the money my parents gave you and the support your parents gave you, you needed a career. Fourth, when we got married we sat down and discussed this. I told you then, what I’m telling you now. If you want a career I’m behind you one hundred percent. If you want to stay home I’m still behind you. You made a good name for yourself with your column. Why give that up? Fifth, you and I also compromised with our jobs by working at home three days a week. One of us is always here for the children and they adore Nanny. Sixth, We do our duty as Malfoy’s by going to few parties but we say ‘no’ more then we say ‘yes’. We give away money to charities and the like. We also do our job as Weasley’s and take the brood to your Mum’s often as we can. Ginny our kids are happy, healthy and are loved unconditionally. We can’t do more then that.”

Ginny let her fingers trace absent patterns on his chest. “I remember all our promises. We both abide by them. You have your days when you get hang out with your buddies, who by some really weird miracle, are my brothers. I take my sister’s-in-law with me when I have my spa days. Our children aren’t like the spoiled prat you used to be. We make time for us. We don’t just hand them money. Draco, I have the happily ever after that the fairy tales end with. I don’t know why I’m so tired. The only extra thing I’ve added is the two anniversary parties.”

“That’s right. Mother and Father wanted to really celebrate their anniversary this year, So did your Mum and Dad.”

“I have to say I was down right suspicious when your parents said they wanted to include the whole family. Usually it just them, and us. Sometimes we include the children. Actually I think that’s what making me tired. Your father wants a portrait done of all seven grandchildren and us. Who knew Lucius would want pictures of children around?” Ginny said as she and Draco found a more comfortable position on the bed.

“My parents sure are crazy about our kids aren’t they?” Draco questioned ironically.

“You can’t really blame them Draco. There was a time when they thought there would be no more Malfoy’s. When you were declared dead, their chance of grandchildren disappeared. I thank Merlin everyday that you really didn’t die. For two years Draco we thought you were dead. The only good thing that came out of that scare was that your father realized, belatedly, that you were more important than any power he might receive.” Ginny tightened her arms around Draco remembering a time when she thought she’d never be able to it again.

“I’m so sorry you went through so much by yourself. I’m mad that I missed out on the first two years of Nick and Ally’s lives.”

“Better that you missed two years and not their whole lives. Remember when you proposed to me?”

“Which time the first, second or third?”

“Third doesn’t count. You and I were already engaged at the time. But I was thinking the about the first two.” Ginny said as she leaned up and gave him a long sweet kiss.

“You remember both do you?” Draco asked as they came up for air.

“Clear as crystal my memory is. I just remember thinking how sweet it was that you went to my Dad and asked for his blessing.” Ginny smiled fondly at the memory.

“I wanted him to know how serious I was. And that I loved you. I also told him if you said yes we’d marry without his blessing. I knew you’d want it. I wanted you to know what my intentions were before we got physical.”

“What did Dad say when you asked him?”

“He asked me if you were pregnant.”

“He didn’t Why didn’t you ever tell me this before? What did you say?” Ginny looked up at him in shock.

“I was honest. I told him we hadn’t had sex yet. I remember saying I wasn’t going to tell him when we did. I told him it was important to me for your family to know that I didn’t want you just for now. I wanted for at least seventy or eighty years.”

“Then. . . “

“He asked me when I planned to marry you. I told him the June after you graduated from Hogwarts. I wanted you to do whatever you wanted after Hogwarts. Further schooling, a career, whatever you wanted. I then said I didn’t plan to officially propose until I graduated.”

“I remember Lucius being so furious that not only did you propose in such a public manner, but to a Weasley You were only supposed to be using me. He didn’t know we’d actually been engaged since New Year’s Eve.”

“I was terrified you’d say ‘no.’ You should have heard him when we go home. “No son of mine is going to marry a mudblood lover.” I told him with my inheritance I didn’t need him or his money. I said I was moving out the next day and entering Auror training.” Draco thought back to that time in his life, he took Ginny’s hand in his, “Did you ever take it off?”

“My Ring?”

Draco nodded.

“Not since the night you gave it to me.”

“Not even-“

“Not even when I thought you dead. I wanted our baby to know that we weren’t just a fling. That you wanted to marry me.”

“Ginny I know I’ve said it before, but I’m sorry you had to go through the pregnancy alone. We were careful. I don’t know how the potions we were using failed. . . ”

“Draco, you can’t blame yourself. I never told you this, but I didn’t want to wait to get married. I stopped taking my potion in February of that year. That last weekend we were together I never let you take yours I switched it with a potion that did absolutely nothing. You wouldn’t hear of moving up the wedding. You told me the only way you’d agree to mov it up was if. . . “

“If you got pregnant. Ginny.”

“The week you disappeared, you were suppose to meet me in Hogsmeade that weekend. I was going to tell you then what I had done. We’d only been together a couple of weeks before. I remember getting the message to come to Dumbledore’s office in Potions. I thought it was weird Snape let me go. In fact he escorted me to Dumbledore’s office. First time I think he ever let a class go early. I walked in and Ron and Harry were there. Hermione too. I knew in that second it had to be bad. I think I sat down. I still remember the look on Ron’s face. You know he never liked us together, but he knew how much I loved you. Since you made me happy he went along with it. I thought for split second that it had to be one of my brothers for him to be so miserable about it. I think he got out the word’s “Ginny, It’s Draco.” The next thing I remember was waking up in the Hospital Wing. After I insisted on knowing the facts, they told me you were believed to be dead at Voldemort’s hand. They also said they couldn’t find your body. I spent the next couple of weeks in a daze. When I passed out again a few weeks later in Potions of all places. Pomphrey told me I was pregnant.”

“When did you tell your family, they never really told me. You and I have never seemed to want to talk about it before.”

“I told them after I got home after graduating. I timed it right after Ron and Hermione announced they were getting married. Ron told me later that it was because of what happened to you that she insisted on getting married right away. She refused to wait until he was defeated. He said Hermione told him that if the worse happened she wanted to die knowing she’d married the man she loved. He said she quoted some muggle about a moment spent with you is worth more then a lifetime spent without you. I don’t remember who he said she got it from. Fleur announced she was expecting. Katie had already had Kaleb. Angelina and Alicia were both due in few months. I figured I would add to the news.”

“What happened when you told them?”

“It got really quiet. Before anyone could start yelling or cursing you, I reminded them you and I had been engaged for over a year. We’d been responsible; it was just an unplanned, on your part at least, but definitely not an unwanted blessing. I told them this baby was all I had left of you, and that I was keeping and raising our child.” Ginny said as she tightened her hold on him.

“Your family must have wanted to kill me. . . especially Ron.” Draco remarked wryly.

“Actually Ron and Hermione were your biggest defenders, right after Harry.”

“Harry defended me? Is that why he’s one of their godfathers’?” Draco asked a bit surprised. He knew the reason they never had this out in th open was because at the time they were just so happy being together. They hadn’t wanted to sort this out before. Privately Draco never wanted to face the idea that he could have lost Ginny to another man. One of the reasons why he never asked her was he was afraid of the answer.

“Yep. I don’t know how I could have made it through without him and my family. They really stuck by me. Harry though really helped, he would tell me about the conversations you two would have at the office or when you were on assignment.”

“You’ve never asked me about what he said. How did you know it was true?”

“I didn’t care. I knew you loved me. If they were lies I didn’t care. I needed them at the time. It really helped with naming the twins.”

“What about naming the twins? I know the only time you and I talked about what we would name our kids is you wanted their middle names to be of your brothers, which we’ve done. I remember saying I didn’t want to name one after my father or have a Draco Junior around.” Draco reminisced.

“Honey it doesn’t matter. Let’s get some sleep. You know our little ones will be up early.”

“I want to know what he said Virginia Molly Marie Weasley Malfoy.” Draco said seriously.

“He said,” Ginny said softly,”After he and Juliana got married, you guys were talking about kids and names. He said you had teased him that he was probably going to talk Jules into naming the kids after his parents and his friends. Then he said he teased back that you would want me to name our kids after your father or past death eaters.”

“I remember now,” Draco said. “That’s when I told him if I had a little girl I really liked the name Allison, so we could call her Ally. Then I said for a boy, I really liked Nicholas. I also told him that since you would be carrying any child we would have. I would let you pretty much name the children unless I absolutely hated the name. Harry confided in me since his Dad’s name was his middle name it wasn’t as important to name his son after his father, but he really wanted to name a daughter if he had one after his mum. Which he was able to do. Juliana liked the name and knew how much it meant to him. That’s why I think Harry let her name their sons whatever she wanted. He was so tickled when the last son was born he got to name it after Ron and his dad. I never asked you this before. When did you tell my parents about the baby? I was surprised you did considering their treatment of you.”

“It was in July, when they had your memorial service. Harry escorted me just in case your father was nasty. Ron and Hermione came, and so did Fred and Angelina, George and Alicia, and Percy and Katie to show there support for me and say goodbye to you. I wasn’t showing yet, so I went up to your parents to offer them my condolences. My family and I were going to sit in the back. Your mother was an absolute mess. Harry came up with me, you know to give his condolences as well. I wasn’t sure what there reaction to me would be. They never made it a secret that they despised both my family and me.

“Your mother sat there accepting condolences. She was clutching your father’s hand when we came up. Your father was sitting as if frozen. When your mother saw us approach she stood and met me. She said something along the lines of; “You’re his Ginny.” Your mother wrapped her arms around me and hugged me. I was in shock. I didn’t know your mother could hug. She shook Harry’s hand and asked us to sit with them during the service. I looked at your father expecting him to disagree with this. Before he could open his mouth to say anything, Narcissa turned and said, “We have lost our son, our only child. We will have the woman he loved and the man he worked with sit beside us.” There was no telling her I wanted to sit with my family. Lucius took me by the arm and pulled me aside and said, “She’s taking Draco’s death very badly. I fear for her sanity truth be told. The only person so far she’s responded to is you. I understand your dislike for me and I deserve it. My wife adored our son; I would take it as a personal favor if you would sit with us. Your brother’s and their wives are more then welcome to sit with us as well.” Ginny felt her eyes well up with tears remembering when she had; had to say good bye to the man she loved.

“I wish you hadn’t gone through that.” Draco said wiping the tears from her eyes. “The fact that I caused you pain breaks my heart.”

Ginny sat up in the big bed and after forcing Draco to sit climbed onto his lap and held him close. “Draco, you didn’t ask to be kidnapped and held hostage for over a year and a half. Voldemort wasn’t even responsible some wanna-be bad guy did this to us, not you. The way your mother was reacting made me think I should tell her. I asked mum what she thought. I actually asked her that if something happened to one of my brothers would she want to know if a grandchild was on the way even if it was out of wedlock. When she said yes, I made my decision to tell your mother about the baby. I didn’t know how to find Malfoy Manor, so I decided to ask Dumbledore for help. That’s when I discovered your father talking to him.”

“I still find it difficult to believe that after all those years of kissing Voldemort’s feet my father would change like that. All that change. . .for me. . .”

“I don’t think he realized how much he loved you until you were taken away. He still had a hard time saying it. You have to admit he adores the children. Spoils 'em rotten he does.”

“For him to be willing to -“

“I overheard him telling Dumbledore, he wanted to do something that would have made his son proud of him. All he asked Dumbledore to do was make sure the Ministry left his wife alone and leave her enough money to live out her remaining days in comfort. Dumbledore agreed and asked about him. Lucius told him he didn’t want any special treatment. He would take whatever punishment the Ministry decided on. That was when I walked in. I apologized for interrupting, I know Dumbledore knew I had eavesdropped on the conversation, and asked your father where I could find his wife. Dumbledore told him that he believed his wife was in the Great Hall at the Slytherin Table. Lucius offered to go get her for me, and then he left.”

“Then what happened?” Draco questioned as his fingers danced up and down her back. He pulled Ginny closer so that she was straddling the cradle of his hips. Draco’s lips also began playing with sensitive spot of skin right beneath her earlobes.

“Draco are you wanting to hear the story or are you wanting to make love to me?” Ginny asked as her breath caught in her throat when his teeth grazed her shoulder.

“You married a man that can do several things at once including seducing his wife and listening to her story. Tell what happened next Ginny-bean.”

“Dumbledore asked me if I was planning to tell the Malfoy’s about the babies. I almost fainted from the shock. The medi-wizard had told me just that day, I was having twins. I nodded to him. He said it was a good idea to tell them. Narcissa needed something to hope for and Lucius needed a reason to hold on and not go off half-cocked into Voldemort’s nest. When your mother came in she looked like she was barely holding on. When they sat down, I took a deep breath and told them that I had some news, that I was thrilled in knowing and that I hoped they would be able to share in the happiness it had given me. I guess there wasn’t a particularly eady way to tell them. Somehow I just spit out ‘I’m pregnant.’ For a split second I could have sworn Lucius wanted to hug me he was that happy.”

“He did seem happy when we told we were expecting Shannon as well as the other children.”

“No need to worry about the family line now do we? Not with four sons.”

“Nope. So what happened next?”

“You really want to hear more?”

“Ginny when I came back, I fully expected to see that you’d found someone else and moved on. I was just selfish enough to want to see you one more time. I always wanted you to find happiness. If you had found it with someone else I’d have let you go. Reluctantly, but I’d have let you go. To find you still single and still in love with me was beyond my wildest dreams. The twins, Ally and Nick, they were icing on the cake. Every child we’ve had since has been an additional blessing.” Draco confessed softly.

“After I told them Lucius turned to Dumbledore and said I want my grandchild to provided for as well no matter what. That’s when Dumbledore and I both said you mean grandchildren. Your father looked at me, down to my belly back up to my hair and then landed on my face. I swear to you he said ‘Thank Merlin, for the Weasley genes’ He asked that even though we hadn’t been married, that I give the children the Malfoy name. I was a bit mean. I asked why he didn’t question the paternity, as there was no love lost between us. He smirked at me, I swear all you Malfoy’s must carry the gene for it, he then said ‘If it is one thing Weasley’s have in abundance it’s loyalty and fidelity to their mates. Draco was your mate. I have no doubt that if you are with child that it’s my son’s.’ After that I agreed I would name them Malfoy’s. I warned him they could both be girls, the name might still die out. He said it didn’t matter as long as the Malfoy bloodline continued.” Ginny finished with her breath hitching as Draco’s fingers continued to work their magic.

“Ginny, make me a promise.”

“I’ll promise you anything you want as long as your fingers don’t stop moving.”

“Go to the medi-wizard if you’re still feeling tired tomorrow. Please?”

“Ok.” Ginny grabbed her wand from the table and extinguished the lights.

Draco felt he body move as she removed her nightshirt under the cover of darkness.

“Now what were you saying earlier about seducing your wife?” Ginny questioned with a clear challenge thrown.

Draco was not about to not meet that challenge head on. He reached up and pulled her to him and then under him. “Well,” he drawled. “Never let it be said I don’t keep my promises.” With that he pulled the bed covers over the both of them.

It took a while before either of them fell asleep that night.
Leave a Review