The Dragon Prince and His Flame Princess by tigereyes320

A/N: I have to thank echo for letting me (reluctantly) borrow her pairing of Katie Bell with Percy from “Absolutely Spiffing” (a great read by the way). I like constructive feedback. tigereyes320@hotmail.com
I want to thank everyone again who has reviewed and said they liked the story; I really appreciate it. I am so glad you guys like the story. I was afraid since it wasn’t that original, you all might not like it. Thanks for proving me wrong.


Part 4


Draco sat on his broom, looking down from high above the Quidditch pitch. He and Potter had been up and looking for the Snitch for over an hour. It was a gusty day, and the winds kept picking up. Draco looked around the pitch and saw Ginny sitting with her older brothers in the Gryffindor seats. He shook his head; the little brat was wearing his green and silver scarf. She must have nicked it when I wasn’t looking, Draco mused. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a glint of gold. The Snitch. He glanced around to see if Harry had spotted it yet. When he saw that Potter hadn’t, Draco dove for it. Everyone was on their feet, all of a sudden. Draco didn’t let it bother him. Was it so impossible that he catch the Snitch for once?

What Draco hadn’t seen was that Katie had just thrown the Quaffle and scored. A Bludger had been heading straight for her. Fred hit it away, towards an empty spot on the pitch. When Draco dove to get the Snitch, he put himself right in the Bludger’s way. By this time, Harry had seen the Snitch as well. He tried to get to the Bludger before it hit Draco. Draco’s fingers were just touching it when the Bludger hit him.

Draco remembered feeling the wings of the Snitch before the incredible pain blocked out everything but Ginny’s scream. He realized he must have been hit by a Bludger. Then his world went black.

“I still can’t believe you want to let it stand, Harry ”
Draco heard the other players mumbling agreement.
He felt something cool and wet sliding across his face.

“Would you blokes keep it down? He’s lucky he wasn’t killed, between the Bludger hitting him and breaking several ribs, puncturing a lung. He also got a nasty concussion when he fell off his broom. Even Madam Pomfrey’s getting worried. He should have woken up by now. He’s been unconscious for almost a week,” Draco heard Ginny say impatiently and worriedly.

Draco smiled at the thought of his Flame telling them what to do. He grew thoughtful. She was worried about me. You tell ’em, Ginny.

Then he heard Weasley say to her, “Ginny, come on. You need your rest, and you need some food. You won’t be good to anyone if you get sick.”

“I don’t want to leave him. No one comes up here except for us and Snape. Not even his teammates.”

“Ginny, you go eat and take a nap. Harry and I will take over until you come back. I don’t want to see you for at least four hours.”

“All right, Hermione. If he wakes up, you’ll tell him I was here?”

“I’ll tell him. Go.”

Draco felt Ginny’s lips touch his forehead. “I’ll be back soon, Dragon. ‘Mione and Harry will stay until I get back.”

Draco decided not to stay silent any longer. “Come back soon, Flame.”

“Draco ” Ginny put her hand on his face. “You’re okay?”

“I’ll be fine. I’m a little thirsty. Can I have some water, please?” Draco asked. Hermione brought a glass of water to his mouth, so he could take a drink. After he slaked his thirst, he eyed Ron and Harry. “I’m assuming we lost as usual to you Gryffindors?” Draco asked. He raised his eyebrows at the looks on their faces.

“It’s up to you,” Harry said. “You had the Snitch, but when the Bludger hit you, you let it go, and I caught it. We could redo the match in a few days. Or we could let it stand as is, with Slytherin winning. You did catch it first.”

“What do the other Slytherins say?”

“They don’t really consider it a win. They’d like to redo. I’d like to replay the match. Harry says it should be up to you. Angelina, who’s our captain, agrees with Harry, as does most of the team,” Ron said matter-of-factly. “And now that Prince Charming is awake, you are going to get something to eat and go to bed. You’re not to come back until tomorrow.”

“Ron ”

“Don’t be giving me that puppy dog look; it isn’t going to work ” Ron crossed his arms and did his best to stay firm. “Oi, don’t start with the tears. All right, you two can have fifteen minutes alone, and then you are going to eat something and go to bed. If you fight me on this, I swear to Merlin, I’ll owl Mum.”

“Okay, I promise. Just fifteen minutes.”

“We’ll just wait outside. Come on, you boys. Give them some privacy. Draco will give his answer about Quidditch tomorrow. Good to see you awake, Draco. We’ll be back in a bit, to see if there is anything you need. Fred, George, why don’t you find Snape and tell him that Draco is awake?”
Hermione said as she herded everyone out of the hospital ward.

“That girl is a born teacher,” Draco said, as he heard her still giving instructions as the door closed behind them.

“Yeah, she is. She’s got a bit of a soft spot with you. Dragon, don’t you ever scare me like that again,” Ginny said.

“I promise; no more diving into Bludgers. You do look tired. I can’t believe these words are going to come out of my mouth, but I agree with your brother.”

“Pigs must be flying. Okay. I’ll go eat a good dinner, and I’ll see you tomorrow. Want me to nick you anything special from the kitchen?”

“Your company will be fine. I’m getting kind of tired myself. If you’re going to insist, Granger can stay; it’ll only be until I fall asleep. Then your brother can come and take her back to Gryffindor, where he can snog her stupid.”
Ginny leaned over and gave him a soft kiss on his lips. “Don’t forget you owe me some snogging as well. See you tomorrow.” She took a peek at the door and then slipped into the bed beside him. “Ron said I had fifteen minutes. I want to hold you. Do you have a problem with that?”

“No. I’ve missed holding you.” Draco drew his arm around her. Soon he felt Ginny relax into a deep sleep. Draco smoothed his hand up and down her back, and she snuggled closer. They stayed like that for a time.

“All right, Ginny,” Ron said as he came around the curtained bed. “Time to go.” His voiced dropped off as he looked at the couple on the bed. I wonder if Malfoy even knows how hard he’s fallen for my sister. Ron watched as Draco tightened his arm protectively around Ginny.

Ron heard Hermione come up behind him. He wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her temple. “I’m gonna be stuck with Malfoy forever, aren’t I, ‘Mione?”

“It appears that way. Are we letting them sleep?”

Ron sighed. “I’ll go down and get us some food from the kitchen. You can stay and keep an eye on them. We’ll let them sleep for a while. If Pomfrey or Snape comes in, we can say her presence calmed him down. I’ll be back in a bit.” He kissed her quick and was out the door before he could figure out if he had lost his mind or not. Letting his sister, his only sister, his sweet, innocent, baby sister stay snuggled up to that ferrety Slytherin git. So what if he saved Hermione’s parents at Christmas? He must be losing his mind.

After that, the Dragon Prince and the Flame Princess were always seen together. He had decided to have a rematch in Quidditch; Slytherin won against Gryffindor, but Gryffindor still had more points, so they won the cup. Not long afterwards, the O.W.L.s were taken, and marks received. The Prince could still hold his head up. All too soon, it was June and time to leave.

Draco and Ginny sat together with the Dream Team and talked on the ride back home. Hermione had helped them come up with a code; they could seemingly be writing mushy letters to each other, but Lucius could see where Ginny had provided “information” on any raids. Also, the same code could be used for Draco to send Ginny any names that could possibly arise. On the letters where there was a code involved, Draco would add a Dragon, and Ginny would add a Flame. Thus the covert operations began.

*^*^*^*^*^*
July 1st

Dear Dragon,

I thought you might like to come visit us this summer. Harry’s coming the last week of July and staying until school starts in September. You could come before then if you don’t want to spend a week with Harry and my brothers.
Percy asked Katie to marry him this past weekend. She said yes Finally I’m going to have a sister Katie decided on Puddlemere for a team. They are willing to give her time off, as well as let her retire temporarily if they have kids. Katie says she wants at least two. They are planning for Valentine’s Day.

Mum is over the moon at the idea of grandbabies. She’d like to owl your mum to invite you over. Do you think it would be okay? Owl me soon.

Love,
Your Flame


July 5th

Dear Flame,

I checked with my parents. I told them to expect your mum’s owl. After it arrived, I got pulled into conference with them. My father thinks it would be a good idea for me to spend the last weeks of summer with you and your family. Don’t ask me why. I think he’s up to something. I’ll be coming August tenth. Send your brother Percy my best wishes. I’ll see you soon. I’ll be sending another owl in a day or two. My dad is going to a meeting tomorrow night. How serious do you want to be next year? Write me soon.

I miss you,
Your Dragon


July 8th

Dear Dragon,

PAHH USQV BWPDAN NWEZ KJ JKPP EJ PDNAA ZWUO. Be careful; I want you here in a month.

Love,
Your Flame

[Translation: Tell your father raid on Nott in three days.]


July 11th

Sweet Flame,

PAHH USQC BWPDAN OAWIQO BEJJAGWJ. I’m sure I’ll have fun. Do I have to bring Potter a belated birthday gift? I wish we could just talk. I miss the sound of your voice. Maybe Muggles have a few good ideas after all.

Love,
Your Dragon

[Translation: Tell your father Seamus Finnegan.]


July 19th

My Dragon Prince,

I’m so sorry for not writing sooner. We went to meet and greet the Bells. We were there almost a week.
Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes is now an actual company. Believe it or not, the twins asked Percy to help them set it up. Get it organized and such. He took some time and helped them organize the whole thing. He’s really quite proud of them. They’re turning their love of pranks into a thriving business. Percy also gave them some ideas on how to branch out slowly. Bergin’s and Flourish and Blotts have agreed to carry a small selection of their stuff, like Disappearing-Reappearing-Scrambling-Self-Inking Quills. All sorts of goodies. One piece of very important advice: if Fred or George offers you anything to eat or drink when you’re here, DO NOT TAKE IT I love my brothers dearly, but they are ALWAYS up to mischief.

Harry is coming in a few days. And no, you don’t HAVE to give him a gift, but it would be nice. I can’t believe it; in less than a month, you’ll be here. My older brothers Charlie and Bill will be coming the last week in August to visit. Mum worries with them so far away.

Are you having a nice holiday so far? Did you and your family do anything together? Got to go. Mum’s calling me to help with the party preparations. Ron’s going crazy because Hermione’s coming tomorrow. Write soon, my prince.

Love,
Your Flame


July 27th

My Flame Princess,

I’m sorry as well. My family decided to go on holiday to Italy. We have some distant relatives there. I’d love to take you there one day. You’d enjoy it. Rome, Venice, and Florence are especially beautiful. I found something for Potter as a gift. I found something your Mum might like as well, as a thank you for inviting me to stay with you.
It sounds like your family is having a lot of fun. Trust me; I know not to eat anything Fred and George give me. I’m glad Percy is helping them out. I’ve played a few tricks myself on people; maybe I’ll give them a hand. Sometimes I wish we were back in school, so we could be in the Astronomy Tower together at night. I can’t believe in two weeks I’ll be seeing you. Thanks for the warning; it’s working. Talk to you soon.
Ginny, is this love?
Your Dragon Prince


August 3rd

Dragon,

Seven more days. I’m counting them. And yes, it is.
Love you,

Flame


August 9th

Flame,

I’ll be arriving by Floo with my mother tomorrow morning before lunch. See you tomorrow, love.

Love you too,
Your Dragon

Draco signed his letter and sent it off with his owl. He had just about finished packing. He threw himself on his bed and closed his eyes. He’d get to see his Flame tomorrow. Over a month without her was way too long.
He woke the next morning feeling quite refreshed. He wasn’t sure why he woke in such a good mood. Then it hit him. He was going to see Ginny, along with all six of her brothers.
Draco got up, showered, changed into some black pants and a heather-green t-shirt, and finished tossing some last minute items into his trunk. He then went down to join his parents for breakfast.

“Master Draco, you is wanting breakfast this morning?” Lissy, the house-elf, asked.

“Yes, I would.” Draco had to fight to not say “thank you” or “please” to the elf. Lucius would kill him first and ask questions later. He could hear his father’s voice in his head: Malfoys are not polite to lesser beings, such as elves. In public, of course, we are polite to those not of our station. Appearance is everything to a Malfoy.

“Draco?”

Draco heard his mother call his name.

“I’m sorry, Mother. Did you ask me something?”

“Yes, dear. I asked if you were packed and ready to go,” Narcissa Malfoy repeated as she composedly drank her tea and ate her toast.

“Yes, Mother, I’m all packed.”

“You have the key to your vault if you need any money? Do you have the gift we chose for Mrs. Weasley?”

“Yes, I have the key and my money from this past year. I also packed the gift carefully. Has Father already eaten?”

“Yes, he’s already gone to the Ministry for the day. I would like to say a few things to you. Draco, you know at one time your father was a very different man. He made a decision that changed all of our lives. As his wife, my place was by his side. Draco, you’re my son, and while I may not show it, I love you very much. If you choose to follow your father or if you decide to take another path, I’ll stand by you as well. Whatever you choose to do with your life, I want you to know you’re my son first. I’d like to see you happy with a family of your own someday. You always have a choice. I’ve said my piece. When you’re done, come fetch me in my sitting room, and we’ll go.” Narcissa rose from the table.

Draco rose as well; his good manners wouldn’t allow him to do otherwise. As his mother passed by him, he kissed the cheek his mother proffered. She put her hand to his face and smoothed his hair off of his face, as if remembering a time when he was young. Draco caught her hand and brought it to his lips. “I love you too, Mother.”

“Enjoy your breakfast. I’ll see you in a bit.” Narcissa kissed his cheek.

Draco waited until his mother left the room to tuck into his breakfast. They only had this closeness when his father wasn’t around. When he was, his mother was the cold perfection his father demanded.

*^*^*^*^

“Ginny! ” Ron shouted, pounding on the door. “Get out Malfoy likes your face as is. GINNY! Come on. MUM! Ginny won’t get out of the loo.”

“Ron ” Give it a break,” Charlie said as he came around the corner.

“Yeah,” Bill said. “I believe the twins said you were in the loo for over an hour the day ‘Mione came.” He gave Ron a pointed look.

“Okay. Okay. But I go first when she finally comes out. I’m gonna find ‘Mione,” Ron said as he turned away from the bathroom and walked back down the hall.

“So what do you think of Draco Malfoy being Ginny’s boyfriend?” Charlie asked Bill as they walked down the stairs to the kitchen, where Molly Weasley was cooking up a storm.

“I don’t know. I haven’t heard great things about him over the years. But it takes a lot of brass to do what he did. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. If Ginny sheds one tear because of him, then I will kill him and bury him so deep no one will find him,” Bill said as he pulled his long hair back with a rubber band.

“Percy tell you anything about the wedding yet?”

“Nope. Morning, Mum,” Bill said as they entered the kitchen. He leaned down to kiss his mother on the cheek.

“Morning, Bill, Charlie. Fred Drop that toast.”

“Honestly, woman, haven’t you figured out I’m George?” Fred said, using the old joke.

Molly caught him with a glare.

Fred shrugged and put his arms around her. “I’m only joking; I am Fred,” he whispered in her ear.

“Honestly, Fred Is that any way for a young businessman to behave?” Molly sighed, exasperated but pleased that the sons she had always worried about would be just fine. After all, she thought, there aren’t many bosses who could handle my boys. So it’s best they’re going to be their own.

Molly Weasley might have disliked most of their pranks, but her Fred and George certainly made her smile. Of course, they had also added most of the gray hair she found on her head. She sighed and wondered where the years had gone. Five of her boys out of Hogwarts and one engaged to be married. Who would have thought Percy would be the first of her boys to get married? And to a good friend of the twins, at that. Molly adored Katie, who saw something incredible in her straight-laced son. She looked over at the table where five of her seven children were seated.

Molly always felt blessed in her children, even with money being tight, and couldn’t imagine her life without any of them. She thought to herself, Every night I pray I never have to find out if I can live without them. My fondest wish is that all my children grow up healthy and happy and find someone to share their life with. Of course, if they WANT to give me lots of grandbabies to play with, so much the better.

Molly put more food on the table as Ginny came downstairs. “Tuck in, everybody. I want to finish the dishes before Draco and Narcissa get here.”

“Don’t worry, Mum. We’ll be nice and everything.”

“Now, I’ve put him with you and Harry, Ron. I expect you to behave.” The tone Molly used left no room for any arguments.

“Yes, Mum.”

“Oi Look at the time Everyone, finish up quickly They’ll be here soon. Bill, I do wish you’d agree to cut your hair.”

“Mum ”

“Well, you think Percy is the only one of my children I want married? What girl is going to want you with that hair?”


“Fleur didn’t seem to mind it. By the way, Bill, how was your holiday in Paris?” Hermione asked innocently.

“Fleur? That French girl? Is it serious?” Molly asked eagerly.

“Thanks, ‘Mione. Yes, Mum, the French girl. It’s not that serious. I spent some time with her on my holiday. Right now, she is in a special academy of dance. She has another year and a half of that. We’re taking it one date at a time. If Percy says it’s okay to bring a date, I’ll bring her to the wedding. You can officially meet her then,” Bill said as he took his plate to the kitchen.

Ginny looked at her family anxiously. “Now you all promise you’ll be nice to Draco. That means all of you. Promise?”

Her brothers and Harry looked at each other and then back at her with an innocently reply of, “We promise ”

Molly shook her head as she saw all six of them crossing their fingers behind their backs. I hope Draco is ready for this, she thought.
Leave a Review