In Which These Two Smiles Meet

Part IX: Epilogue

The Malfoys’ ball was the last of the season, and by far the grandest. Ginny had been a little overwhelmed by the preparations—the frenzy of cleaning and decorating, not to mention the sheer abundance of rich and elegant foods—but now, as she stood in the entrance hall with the Malfoys, ready to greet the guests, she was calm.

Judging by the stunned expression on Draco’s face when he first saw her, Ginny looked more beautiful than she ever had in her life. Narcissa had insisted that she commission Louisa Musgrove to create dress robes specifically for her. Ginny had protested at first, but Narcissa had responded, “Don’t worry about the cost, child. We have more than enough money to pay for it. And you only announce your engagement once.” It was impossible to argue with that. The robes were made of sleek navy blue satin that fit Ginny’s body closely, showing off her figure perfectly and highlighting her hair and skin. Narcissa had even let Ginny borrow Druella Black’s diamond necklace, which went perfectly with the dress and set off her engagement ring.

Arthur and Molly Weasley were among the first to arrive. They both hugged Ginny. Arthur shook Draco’s hand, and Molly blushingly let him kiss hers. They greeted Lucius and Narcissa cordially, but without enthusiasm.

“We hope that you will join us at our table for supper,” Narcissa invited.

“Thank you,” Molly said. “That’s very kind of you.”

“Not at all,” Narcissa answered with a smile. “We are to be family, after all.”

Ginny noticed a pinched look on Arthur’s face at that comment, but he managed to stifle it before the Malfoys noticed. For Ginny’s sake, he had resigned himself to tolerating Lucius, but she knew how much effort it cost him.

The Elliots arrived shortly after Arthur and Molly. “Congratulations, congratulations!” Mr. Elliot boomed in Ginny and Draco’s direction. “I just knew you two were perfect for each other!” He turned towards his wife and said, “I introduced them, you know. At our ball.”

“Yes, dear,” Mrs. Elliot said with an amused smile. “You told me so thrice this morning, when we saw the notice in the Prophet.”

Ginny smiled as well. Mr. Elliot was very kind, and even if his memory of events wasn’t entirely accurate, she wasn’t about to say anything to refute him.

“And you, young lady,” Mr. Elliot said, turning to Ginny. “I hear you’ll be taking Sophia Croft’s place on the team when she retires next season.”

Ginny blushed and nodded.

“Splendid!” Mr. Elliot said, beaming. “That will put the Harpies in the running for the championship for sure!”

“I certainly hope we’ll be in the running,” Ginny said, “but it won’t be due to me alone.”

“Nonsense!” Mr. Elliot scoffed. “You’re just what they need.”

When Harry, Ron, and Hermione arrived, they got their greetings and congratulations over with as quickly as they possibly could. Ginny couldn’t blame them for not wanting to spend time with Lucius Malfoy. She didn’t prolong the conversation; there would be time enough for her to talk to them later, in a more comfortable setting.

George, on the other hand, didn’t seem to be bothered by Lucius’s presence in the least. He chatted with the whole family for several minutes. Before he left, however, he stopped to whisper in Draco’s ear, but he was loud enough that Ginny could hear what he was saying.

“I just wanted to warn you, Malfoy,” George said, “that I gave Ginny a little engagement gift that she can use on you whenever you’re being a prat, so you might want to be on your guard.”

Draco looked back and forth between Ginny and George in alarm. “What is it?” he asked nervously.

George gave his most devilish smile, but Ginny said, “Oh, it’s nothing to worry about. He’s just trying to scare you.”

“It worked!” Draco said.

“Good!” George said. “Maybe you’re smarter than I thought you were.”

“I am going to marry your sister, after all,” Draco retorted. “Certainly that makes me the most intelligent man in the wizarding world!”

George laughed. “I guess it does!” he said, then made his way in the direction of the ballroom.

Kingsley Shacklebolt greeted Ginny with a warm smile. “Congratulations,” he said.

“Thank you,” Ginny replied, smiling.

“You look happy,” Kingsley said.

“I am,” Ginny said, smiling up at Draco, who stepped even closer.

“Then so am I,” Kingsley said, reaching out to shake Draco’s hand. “Be sure you keep making her happy, Mr. Malfoy.”

“I will, sir,” Draco answered.

Kingsley was about to move away when Lucius stopped him. “It’s so good of you to come tonight, Minister.”

“Ginny is like my own niece,” Kingsley said shortly. “I wouldn’t miss her engagement celebration.”

“Yes, of course,” Lucius said with an oily smile. “Perhaps you would like to join us at our family table for supper, then? There are many things I would like to discuss with you.”

Kingsley raised an eyebrow. “Thank you for the offer,” he said formally, “but I have already promised James Benwick that I would join him.”

Lucius stiffened at the name of one of the Malfoys’ business rivals, but answered smoothly, “I’m sorry to hear that. Perhaps we could find some time to talk before the supper.”

“Perhaps,” Kingsley said noncommittally. He turned back to Ginny and Draco and said, “Good luck to you both.”

Shortly after Kingsley had disappeared into the drawing room, Narcissa decided that it was late enough that the family could safely leave their posts by the door. Draco led Ginny towards the ballroom, but before they could begin dancing, Pansy waved them over to where she and Blaise were watching the dancers.

“I just heard something that I’m sure both of you would be interested in,” Pansy said eagerly when Ginny and Draco arrived. Blaise snickered, but didn’t look at them.

“Oh, really?” Draco asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Indeed,” Pansy said with a smile. “It has to do with your good friend Isabella Thierry.”

“Ah, then we certainly are interested,” Draco said. He looked at Ginny, who was frowning slightly, and added, “Well, at least I am. So what is it?”

“You know how she’s been after Roger Davies for ages?” Pansy asked.

Ginny and Draco both nodded.

“Well, apparently she finally got his attention with that skimpy gown she wore to the Dalrymples’ ball last week.”

“The one that wasn’t much more than a house-elf’s tea towel?” Draco asked.

“The very one,” Pansy answered. “Anyway, Davies took her out for dinner twice this week.”

“I guess he has less sense than I thought he did,” Draco said as Ginny looked around the ballroom, trying to spot the couple.

“Or maybe he did,” Pansy said with satisfaction. “My source said that he threw her over once she slept with him.”

“Oh, how awful!” Ginny said with feeling.

Draco, Pansy, and even Blaise turned to look disbelievingly at Ginny.

“What?” she asked defensively.

“She deserved it, with the way she carries on,” Pansy said disgustedly.

“Does anyone really deserve that?” Ginny asked.

Draco squeezed her hand. “Only you would think that of someone you heartily dislike,” he said.

“I don’t dislike her that much. It’s more that I’m disappointed in her. We were friends once, you know.”

“Some friend,” Blaise said, turning his attention back to the dance floor.

Ginny shrugged. “She must have had a horrible week, what with that and her disappointment with the team.”

“What disappointment?” Pansy asked eagerly.

“The team signed Lucille Acier as starting Seeker for the next season, leaving Isabella on the reserve squad, even though she is older and much more experienced.”

“Who is Lucille Acier?” Pansy asked, her brow furrowed. “I think I’ve heard of her, but I can’t remember the context.”

“You’re slipping, Pansy,” Draco said, grinning. “She’s that hot young Seeker from Belgium. There was a huge controversy because the Belgian team wanted her to play in the World Cup last year, but the International Association of Quidditch ended up deciding that she was too young. She’s to leave Beauxbatons in the spring, and everyone has been dying to see which team she would sign with. It’s quite a coup for the Harpies.”

“Interesting,” Pansy mused. “I guess Thierry couldn’t have been too surprised to be passed over in that case, though.”

“Not surprised,” Ginny said, “but disappointed nevertheless. None of us really expected we would get Lucille Acier, so she had every reason to expect she’d get the spot when Mary Crawford was injured.”

Just then, George appeared. “Has Isabella Thierry been talking to your father, Malfoy?” he asked conversationally.

Draco shrugged. “Why do you ask?”

“I just heard her talking to Alicia and Reggie about Ginny,” George said. “She said some nasty things I would rather not repeat, at least not in present company.” He turned to Ginny and bowed slightly, then back to Draco. “But then she went on to say that she was sure the only reason you would ever marry my sister was for her contacts in the Ministry. Considering the little misunderstanding you two had, I wondered if he was spreading rumors.”

“Misunderstanding?” Pansy asked curiously.

“It doesn’t matter anymore,” Draco said firmly. “What does matter is if someone is spreading rumors. Have you heard anything?”

“Nothing like that,” Pansy said. “Nobody would believe it, anyway.”

“What do you mean?” Ginny asked.

“All anyone has to do is watch Draco with you for three seconds to know he’s head-over-heels,” Pansy said matter-of-factly.

“Oh,” Ginny said, blushing.

“I hate to say it, but she’s right, Gin,” George said with a grin. Turning back to Draco, he said, “Alicia did a right job of putting Thierry in her place, but I’m worried about what would happen if she found a more receptive audience.”

“You’re right,” Draco said with a sigh. “I thought she had learned her lesson at the Bingleys’ ball, but I guess not.”

“Ooh!” Pansy said with excitement. “Can we use hexes this time?”

Before Draco could answer, Ginny said, “Oh, please don’t!”

“Why not?” Draco asked incredulously. “Did you hear what George said?”

“Yes, of course I did,” Ginny said. “But I’m sure she’s just jealous. Anyone would be.” She paused to smile at Draco. “And she’s had an awful week. Please, can we just let it go this time? I’d feel awful, and that would ruin the evening for me.”

Draco sighed heavily. “Fine,” he said. “But only because I want tonight to be perfect.”

“Thank you,” Ginny whispered.

Draco turned to Pansy and said, “No hexes, no ostracism, nothing. But definitely let people know why.”

“Oh, all right,” Pansy said disappointedly.

“Can Parkinson and I do something to torment her later?” George asked.

“If you must,” Ginny said, resigned.

As George and Pansy discussed retribution, Draco took Ginny’s hand. “Speaking of making this evening perfect, would you honor me with a dance?”

“Of course,” Ginny said, her face lighting up. “I’d like nothing more.”

As they swept across the dance floor, Ginny’s hurt and anxiety over Isabella faded. Nothing in the world could touch her when she was in Draco’s arms.

She looked up at him to find him watching her intently.

“What are you thinking about?” Ginny asked.

“About how beautiful you look when you’re happy,” Draco said with a soft smile.

Ginny blushed. “You make me happy,” she said simply. “More than anything.”

“That’s good,” Draco said, “because you just agreed to put up with me for a very long time.”

“I did, didn’t I?” Ginny asked. “It’s a good thing I love you, then.”

“I love you too,” Draco said. “And I’ll do everything in my power to keep that smile on your face.”

“I know,” Ginny said, and stretched up to kiss him, even though they were still in the middle of the dance floor.

Ginny didn’t notice the eyes all around the room watching them—watching with happiness, envy, nostalgia, amusement, calculation, or contentment. She saw only Draco, and that was enough.

THE END

The End.
Embellished is the author of 20 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 59 members. Members who liked In Which These Two Smiles Meet also liked 1654 other stories.
Leave a Review