Draco stared at the scrap of cloth for the two thousandth time that week. He should take it to her. It was hers. She might be cold. She might not remember where she'd left it. He wouldn't try to chat her up while he was there. He'd just give it to her and leave.

Right?

Right.


He grabbed the cloak, and marched to the Floo before he could change his mind. Throwing is a handful of dust, he enunciated, "St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries."

The spinning sensation of the Floo always made him feel a bit off, so Draco stood against the wall in the corridor for a moment before setting off to find Ginny. He pointed his wand at her cloak and siphoned of the soot, and then at himself, hoping he erased all traces of Floo travel.

Walking down the hall to the tea room during an afternoon break, Ginny found her thoughts turning unbidden once more to Draco. He'd been entirely pleasant with her and she certainly couldn't deny there had been a definite physical attraction. She still felt butterflies when she thought of his warm lips on her hand and the lovely pressure they exerted. She couldn't help but wonder how those lips would feel elsewhere. Blushing slightly, she turned the corner and ran straight into the object of her musings.

"Malfoy!" she said, feeling rather flustered and certain that if there had been a stick of butter nearby she'd have already put an elbow in it. "Um, hello," she said, trying to get the higher part of her brain functioning again, and in succeeding, she realized he looked a bit green. "I'm just on my way to the tea room, would you care to join me for a cup?"

Draco cursed whatever wizard invented the Floo network. It would be his luck that he'd run into Ginny while looking peaky. "Yes," he said thankfully, "tea would be fantastic." They began walking down the hall to the lifts and he looked down at the top of her head, at all the different shades of red hair that she'd pinned up. "And it's Draco."

"Right in here then, Draco," she said, pointing at the open door to her right. She hoped she wasn't as red-faced as she felt, but she knew there wasn't much to be done about it even if she was. It didn't help her blush much that he was looking very sharp in black trousers and a blue button-down shirt; she was finding it difficult to concentrate. She gestured to the sofa and said, "Why don't you have a seat?" She dragged her eyes away from him and turned to the counter to prepare their tea. She arranged everything neatly on a tray with some biscuits and set it on the table in front of the sofa. Sitting down next to Draco, she smoothed out her skirt and set her hands in her lap. "What brings you to St. Mungo's today?" She smiled at Draco, but then her expression became worried. "It's not your mother, is it?"

He smiled and held out the cloak he'd forgotten he was holding. "Here, I found this in the parlour after you left. I hope it hasn't been an inconvenience not having it." He held out the garment. "So, to answer your question, I came to St. Mungo's today to see you, Ginny." So much for not chatting her up, he thought.

"To see me?" she asked, a smile forming on her face. As she reached out to take her cloak from him, their fingertips brushed and all she could hear was her heart beating an insistent cadence in her ears. She set her cloak aside and picked up a cup of tea before she looked at him again. She pondered briefly how a man could be so beautiful and still remain masculine as he clearly was. She tore her gaze away from his perfectly formed lips and looked him in the eyes. She told herself she didn't need to go getting all excited because he had come to return her cloak. "Thank you for returning it. Honestly, I had forgotten where I'd left it."

He nodded. "I thought as much when you didn't come back for it." He took a mug of tea and thought about throwing his mother's opinion out the window and asking Ginny out right there and then. Instead, he leaned back on the sofa and studied every part of her that he could see while he had the chance. "I'm not keeping you from anything, am I?"

"Not at all. I was heading on my break when I about flattened you in the hallway earlier," she said with a giggle. "Sorry for that."

"It would have been my pleasure, I'm sure," he replied, his lips quirking.

"I'm not so sure about that," she joked. "The last person I ran into was incapacitated for a week. I may look tiny, but I pack quite the punch I'll have you know."

"I can imagine," he murmured. He took a biscuit from the tray and stopped suddenly, the manners his mother ingrained temporarily forgotten. "May I?" he asked.

"Of course, help yourself to anything you like."

Draco looked at her sharply, his eyes twinkling. "Oh, Ginny, you shouldn't make statements like that. I tend to take things very literally."

"Oh. Oh!" she said, noticing the look in his eyes that matched the tone of his voice. "Well, perhaps not anything you like," she added with a giggle.

"Well isn't that just too bad?" he said, smirking at the blush that pinked her cheeks. "I'll have to make do with a macaroon." He popped the bite size treat in his mouth and smiled at her as he chewed. She was every bit as lovely if not more so than she'd been at school. Her eyes were completely beautiful, especially when she looked at him from beneath her lashes. He wondered if she'd allow him to kiss her. Just once. Just to finally know what it would be like. He looked down and took another sip of tea. Probably not, though, he thought. Nice girls and Former Death Eaters didn't generally go together. He breathed deeply and set the cup down, laying his arm on the back of the sofa behind her head.

"Well, they are good macaroons," she said, suddenly aware of what felt like hundreds of butterflies in her stomach. Ginny noticed Draco's arm behind her head as it came to rest across her shoulders. She swallowed as the butterflies turned into Hippogriffs at his touch. She knew it had been awhile since her last boyfriend, but she couldn't remember being so excited over a mere arm brushing her shoulders before.

When she tilted her face to look up at him, Draco took the chance he'd wanted since he was seventeen years old. He closed the gap between them and caught her lips with his. Just that brief contact with Ginny's lips excited Draco more than he thought possible. Before he could stop himself, he brought his hand up to cradle her cheek, and the soft sigh she expelled at that contact was almost his undoing. He swept his tongue in her open mouth and smiled that she tasted of coconut, chamomile and honey.

Groaning, he pulled back from her, looking at her dazed eyes, and suddenly feeling very guilty. And frustrated. "Apologies. I simply couldn't resist."

It took a moment for Ginny to form words. She was shocked, but the kiss had been lovely; she felt it from the top of her head all the way down to her toes. "No apologies necessary, Draco, not for that." She smiled demurely at him when what she really wanted to do was pull her to him and give him the snog of his life. But she was only on break and it was coming quickly to an end. "But I have to apologize," she began, "I'm due back any minute. Thank you for returning my cloak."

"Of course," he replied, standing with her. He knew that he shouldn't have done that. A girl like Ginny; beautiful, intelligent, a good conversationalist, would never want him. He should stick to the girls who didn't think very often. Shallow, vapid, society types that wanted him for his money and didn't care about his past. He should pay attention to the advice of his mother and pay Pansy Parkinson a visit.

He shuddered internally. Over my dead body.

Ginny reached out and squeezed his shoulder lightly and found she wished she had a reason to keep her hand there. "I'll see you around then."

Draco gave her a crooked, perhaps wistful smile, and ran his fingers through his blond hair. "I certainly hope so." He nodded to her and started down the corridor.

She watched him as he strode confidently down the hallway. She was having a difficult time reconciling this Draco Malfoy with the one she had known at Hogwarts. He was charming and polite, and the fact that he was devastatingly handsome helped a bit as well. She shook her head and reminded herself she should come back to the real world where Malfoys and Weasleys didn't mix and where she had patients to see.
To Be Continued.
Magical Whimsy is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 15 members. Members who liked What a Malfoy Wants also liked 1418 other stories.
Leave a Review