The sun seemed to sway soothingly behind the red, rocky mountains. As the stormy clouds crawled across the sky, they grazed the soft outer casings on the mountains' jagged edges, causing it to puncture and softly drip droplets of water over the moss-covered courtyard. The stone walls were ancient and they were beginning to crack due to the strain, but Ginny knew that the walls would never falter; she had magic on her side.

As she stood in the middle of the courtyard, she gazed at the wilderness which seemed never to have been tamed. The colours were a mixture of russets and maroons, as the rain drowned the plants and eroded what was left of the red clay. She began to circle, like a child deliberately making herself dizzy. She laughed out loud as she saw the old sculptures and water fountain merge into one. The colours looked like they were dribbling into each other because of the pounding rain. Ginny loved the rain, it washed everything away, all the feelings of guilt that she had coming here and all the old unwanted memories of hate that she had for the man she loved now.

She opened her mouth slowly to feel the freezing drops of rain cascade onto her tongue. She felt free; he made her feel free. She loved her parents, she loved her brothers, but she felt confined at home. She was pushed into being as good as her brothers, and stereotypes of people were imprinted on her mind, she just wanted to forget them, wash them away.

Possessive arms encircled her waist and a chin nestled itself in the curve of her neck. A small chuckle escaped his mouth as she fell back on his muscular chest, and her eyes seemed to dance in their sockets from the dizziness. He placed one of her arms around his shoulder and kept muttering about the madness within.

Ginny, however much she missed the rain, was glad to be warm inside the miniature castle. Her now-drenched clothes were being folded and placed on the steel grate in front of the dancing flames by the handsome stranger who had saved her, in more than one way.

A butterbeer was clutched within her trembling fingertips, a gesture which she greatly appreciated. A tartan rug was wrapped tightly round her shoulders, drawing in as much heat as it could, and capturing the wisps that dared to escape. Ginny stared into the flames and heard the tiny pattering of the pouring rain on the windows. It was often interrupted by the crackle of the fire, as if the fire thought that it was her protector and was trying to ward off the rain. Apart from that the room was silent; they had just eaten, so the lingering smell of the lasagne still filled the room. Ginny took in the vicinity fully, and thought back to her parents at home. They thought that she was staying with her friends in East Anglia. It was killing her not telling them where she really was; the Scottish Highlands in the private retreat of Draco Malfoy.

Draco turned to look at Ginny; he saw her fingers tremble slightly so he bent down to her, took the butterbeer from her hands and kissed them softly. His raised his eyes to hers, and saw the worry that filled them. He pulled the rug tighter around her shoulders and moved to her left, placing a protective arm over her shoulders, allowing her head to rest wearily on his chest. Lips dusted the top of her head lightly and he felt her right hand search for his. Ginny entwined her fingers with Draco's, holding on tightly. She kissed each fingertip lightly and placed the hand to the side of her face.

Draco felt a tear trickle over his hand and gripped the figure tighter. Her trembling had stopped, but he knew that her mind was still ticking over and over. He bent his head forward so it hovered over her ear. He whispered, “To relinquish claim on love is to desert the true desires of your heart. Hush-h Gin.” He moved his head down to her earlobe and kissed the smooth skin that had escaped her red hair. “Your parents will understand when the time comes; not sooner and not later. My father is captured so he can do you no harm. He can and will try, but he will do you no harm. I promise.”

Ginny listened to the soothing words as his warm breath tickled her neck. She was afraid, not of his father, but of hers. She already knew that Lucius would never approve of her; stereotypes came into the situation again. She was afraid of the looks that her mother and father would give her once they found out that she was in love with a Malfoy. She was afraid of the scornful words that they would rain upon her, words that would poison her heart. She couldn’t stand to hear a word against him. She did truly love him; she thought that she always had.

-

Ron was never an understanding person; she really should know this by now. However, as usual he had the last say in the matter and had her storming out of the common room as always. Ginny stormed, fuming, out of the portrait hole, after grabbing a cloak on her way out. She didn’t care whose the cloak was, only that it fit her.

She stormed through the corridor, much to the distaste of many of the portraits, feet as loud as storm clouds. She reached the main doors and was relieved when the handle moved down to let her pass. She hurried across the cobbled stones that surrounded the front gate. She pulled the hood tightly round her face as the rain thundered down, even seeping through the cloak. Her nose was very wet, as it was the only part of the body that the cloak did not cover, but she didn’t care, all she cared about was reaching the boat house, the only place she knew she could be alone.

As she reached the porch of the boat house she exhaled sharply, pulled off the sodden cloak, and slung it over her shoulder. She crept into the boat house and saw that the gates were tightly closed so the wind wouldn’t be able to blow in the rain. She was thankful that the lanterns burned brightly and the fireplace in the corner of the room lay dormant, but with fresh firewood in a basket. She wandered over and sat down on the biggest log in the pile. She pulled the basket towards her and began rifling through to find the biggest and driest logs for the fire. Once she had a collection, she threw them onto the fire and thrust her wand in the direction of the fireplace, igniting it immediately.

From behind her a voice droned, “Aggressive.” Draco smiled from the shadows, then continued. “Little red weasel is losing her temper.”

“Shut it, Malfoy, or you won’t be able to open that hole in your face again!” Ginny sneered as she brought her wand back to face him.

The smirk that was drawn on his face was infamous and it annoyed her almost as much as Ron’s argumentative nature… almost.

“Is that a threat, Little Red?” Malfoy took a step forward and smiled as he saw the bubbling rage in her face.

“Yes, ferret, it is,” Ginny shouted, losing her temper once more. The images of Ron flew into her mind. He was an interfering wretch. The sound of his voice began echoing through out her mind, teasing and always pushing. She felt her face redden with anger, not only for her brother, but also for Malfoy, who seemed to be only an arm's length away from her now. How did that happen?

“Want me to be close to you, Little Red?” Malfoy sneered as he saw the sudden alarm in Ginny’s face. This wasn’t the time to be daydreaming.

“Shove off, Malfoy!” Ginny demanded.

The smirk on his face faltered slightly, as if he was hiding something. He took a gracious step back but kept his eyes locked with Ginny’s. This made her feel uneasy as the penetrating gaze, which was normally of steel, seemed softer, like grey clouds. These eyes betrayed his words, as no matter how much poison he could utter, his gaze wouldn’t be his cavalry.

“Why isn’t weasel hiding in her barricades of Gryffindor? Where she is safe from the sleeping Dragon,” Draco said attempting to sneer. He shifted his weight slightly as his gaze with Ginny remained locked.

“Hiding! I would never hide from you, Malfoy. Do you have no ability to take a hint? Or any idea that when a person wants to be alone, they want to be alone!” Ginny shouted back, as she involuntarily took a step forward.

“And is that what you want, Little Red? To be alone?” Draco asked, whilst sauntering towards her again. She bent her head slightly to look at the floor. Draco saw her hair slide past her ear and tumble down past her shoulder. The light from the fire touched Ginny’s hair softly and illuminated the red shade. Draco looked away quickly as he felt a hot flush flood his cheeks.

“Yes, Malfoy, it is! Why do you think I am here? To hold a rave? Because if I am, it’s going down the pan. There’s no loud music, there’s no strobe lighting, never mind this bloody place is empty, with only a ferret and bats for company. That’s going to be a great party, isn’t it? The ferret can drag a bottle of firewhisky and the bats can fly around with neon lights attached to their tails. Wow! All hail the hostess with the mostest…”

Draco never was patient. Something about Ginny’s air and passion couldn’t stop him. He lunged forward and placed a firm hand around the back of Ginny’s neck. He caressed the soft red locks with the other hand as he massaged her lips with his. Ginny didn’t react at first, shock over came her. But as soon as she realised what happened, she was powerless to stop it. Her head became light, her hands, which seemed to be fighting Draco, ceased. She wrapped them around his neck and sank her fingers deep into his platinum blond hair. The kiss deepened and Ginny found she was pushing Draco to the wall and exploring his body. Draco was surprised at the turn of events, but that didn’t mean he didn’t welcome it, he just preferred it when he was in control. He parted her lips slightly and caressed her bottom lip with his tongue. She smiled slightly, wondering what she was doing. Then Ron’s face appeared in her head, she imagined the aghast look on his face, but then Draco said something, something that made his touch… engaging.

-

The evening lasted just as long as it needed to. Ginny felt safe in Draco’s arms, she knew that she had made the right decision coming here with him; she just hated lying to her parents. She wanted to hate them for their prejudices, while throwing plates, and screaming, but she couldn’t. She knew they cared about her and that was the terrifying thing. What if they cared too much and couldn’t see Draco for who he really was?

Ginny turned around in Draco’s arms. She knelt up and peered into his deep grey eyes. Her own were dashed with tears, tears of heartache but also tears for love. Draco lifted his left hand and brushed a silky red strand of hair out of Ginny’s eyes. He saw a flare ignite behind them as a cheeky smile appeared on her face. He knew his Ginny was in her eyes somewhere and in the moonlight, in the pouring rain, this night, he would bring her back. Her family need never know, and he wouldn’t rest until he could see his Ginny fully in those eyes again.
The End.
theworldonlyknows is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked When the Sun Sets also liked 1068 other stories.
Leave a Review