Chapter Twenty-five: Interference

“Rose, what are you doing here?” Lily asked in a half-strangled voice.

“Well, that is, um…” Rose began wringing her hands together and just as he had done on the bus, Travis caught hold of her fingers in his and gave her a sharp look that filled her with courage. It was as if his eyes were saying, you can do this. More than that, she had to do this.

Setting her shoulders, Rose looked up at Lily, meeting her cousin’s eyes and said, “We need to talk.”

“I’m a bit busy at the moment, but maybe later…”

“Well I don’t see how that would work, or didn’t you tell me on the train there might not be a later?” Rose snapped out angrily.

Lily bounded down the steps, her voice automatically dropping to an angry hiss. “Anyone could have heard you!”

Rose put her hands on her hips, eyebrows raised. She waited a beat and then replied. “Nope, didn’t hear anyone else. You ninny, what’s gotten into you? No one’s home!”

“All the same,” Lily retorted, highly affronted and also slightly embarrassed with herself.

“Merlin’s beard, you are high strung. Come in the kitchen. I’ll make some tea.”

“No, Rose,” Lily argued, putting her foot down quite literally. “I don’t need you mothering me and pestering me with a bunch of silly questions to make me stay. I’ve made up my mind and it’s high time you get it in your head that there’s not a thing you can do to change it!”

Rose was nearly speechless when Travis cut in. “Lily, I’m not going to pretend that I know everything going on here,” he began but both Rose and Lily fixed him with such disbelieving looks that he quickly gave up, throwing his hands up in surrender. “Alright, alright. Rose told me. I know pretty much everything going on. The point is you’re making a huge decision right now and Rose at least needs to know she’s done everything she can to make you consider all your options.”

Rose scowled at Travis, turning sharply back to Lily. “That’s not at all what I’m doing. I’m not coming so I feel better about all this, though that’s a fair point. I’m coming to make you see sense and reconsider your only option!”

Travis rolled his eyes, lowering his voice to speak to Rose. “I had meant to give you an opening she might actually consider, but jolly good one blowing that to pieces.”

“Oh… I hadn’t realized…”

“Oh, look at the pair of you!” Lily exclaimed. “You,” she gestured to Travis, “trying to be all cunning with a plan of attack, as if I wouldn’t see through that anyway, and you, Rose, being so hot-headed you don’t even realize it… why should I listen to the pair of you?” She demanded, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Because you’re making a terrible mistake, Lily,” Rose whispered.

And it had finally been said. A heavy silence hung in the air and Lily faltered a bit, wanting to push both Rose and Travis out the door to avoid this entire conversation but it was already too late, for she did feel the weight of her decision and it scared her. Her fears were already out there and Rose had given them a voice.

“Please, Lily. No one else is here. Let’s just sit down and just listen to me for a bit…” Rose pleaded, her cousin still standing one stair above her and looking frail. Rose took a breath, continuing. “I saw your mum leave right before Travis and I came in, Lily. Don’t tell me you don’t feel bad about what you’re doing to her. She doesn’t even know what you’ve got planned and you’re basing everything your leaving for on something that might not even be true.”

“And if it is?” Lily asked quietly.

Rose paused, glancing to Travis for help. He shoved his hands in his pockets, meeting Lily’s fearful eyes dead on. “Then it won’t do any good running away, will it?”

Rose held her hand out, ready to lead Lily into the kitchen, wordlessly beckoning her to join them and sit down and talk. Lily finally dismounted the final step and went with the pair into the kitchen, Rose’s arm around her shoulders.

Soon there was water in the kettle, coming to a slow boil on the stove. Rose was managing the muggle way, the better to focus her attention on her younger cousin. And in next to no time she had the teacups out and filled to the brim, all three of them sitting round the kitchen table. Travis certainly felt a bit awkward in this situation but could do nothing but drink his tea. The two girls were sitting across the table from one another as if prepared for a difficult negotiation rather than tea-time conversation.

“So…” Lily began, an obvious disgruntlement in her words, her fingers tracing the rim of her teacup.

Rose cleared her throat, her hands cupping her mug for warmth. “Lily, I just, I can’t believe you think this idea is even remotely sane.”

“Rose, I’ve already…”

“No, you listen. Look,” Rose breathed a sigh, glancing over to Travis somewhat apologetically. “Despite all Travis’ attempts to help, I did in fact blow it and you already know that I’m here to talk you out of this entirely…”

“And you’ll just ignore the fact that I don’t want you to?” Lily cut in.

Rose sighed, staring at her tea. “Yes.”

Lily crossed her arms, her irritation evident. In fact, it surprised Rose that Lily wasn’t yelling already and attempting to kick her out so she decided to act quickly before Lily could argue back. “Look, I understand that Scorpius has you convinced that your parents are having an affair and everything is going to come crashing down but that’s not necessarily true…”

“Not necessarily true?” Lily scoffed, standing up and slamming her hand down on the kitchen table. “What about that secretary’s letter? How does evidence like that leave any room for ‘not necessarily true’?”

“But Lily, you’re mum would never do that!”

“And what evidence is there of that, hmm?” Lily demanded, heatedly. “She’s been keeping secrets for years, Rose! Lying to all of us! We wouldn’t even have known what was going on if she hadn’t told you everything last Christmas!” she exclaimed.

“And do you have any idea how sorry I am for that?” Rose cried, folding her arms protectively around her chest, and staring defiantly up at her younger cousin.

“I wasn’t trying to blame you, Rose…”

“Sit down!” Rose snapped angrily, tears building in her eyes. Lily faltered but did as Rose asked, slowly sitting down across from her, still resisting what her cousin was saying but still trying not to hurt Rose at the same time. “Listen,” Rose began. “You never gave me a chance to explain everything that happened at that game in the tower, Lily. You never let me explain what your mum meant, how she felt.”

“I’ve heard all this before, Rose. She was sad and upset and beating herself up and I’ve heard it all before!” She cried, her voice only increasing in volume.

“I asked her if she cheated on your dad, Lily, and she was appalled, horrified at the thought. Your mum would never cheat.”

“The letter Scorpius got would indicate otherwise, wouldn’t it?” Lily answered coldly, but her expression had softened at Rose’s words.

“Forget that letter, Lily, for just a moment,” Rose pleaded. “Isn’t your mum’s character more of an indicator than the word of some girl you’ve never even met?”

“And what of my mum’s word, huh Rose?” Lily whispered. “All she’s done is lie and keep secrets. What’s to say she isn’t having an affair with Scorpius’ dad? You saw them in the hospital wing,” she whispered.

Rose clenched her jaw in frustration, getting nowhere with Lily. “Why can’t you just look at the different possibilities, Lily? Why is that so hard to consider?”

“Forgive me for not acting rationally; you’re not the one whose parents are likely to get divorced!” Lily cried, real tears in her eyes.

Travis watched their entire exchange with his blue eyes narrowed but at Lily’s tears, his expression changed. He glanced at Rose, both of them recognizing their intervention was having no impact on Lily’s decision. Travis saw Rose’s shoulders slump, glancing to Travis helplessly.

“Lily,” he began.

“What?” she answered coldly, not even glancing in his direction.

“Even if both your parents’ marriages are falling apart, what is the good in running away?”

“I should think that was obvious- getting away from it all. You think either Scorpius or I want to be around when the bottom drops out?”

“What about your schooling? Or your family? Even if all that happens, don’t you think they would need you here, helping keep them as much together as you can?”

Lily sniffled, looking up at Travis. “You and Scorpius are friends. Aren’t you supposed to be on my side?”

Travis glanced sheepishly to Rose and back. “That might have been the case previously. But to be honest, I didn’t have a side in this until I found out what was going on all of an hour ago.”

Lily sniffed once more, wiping her tears away. “Then let me clear a bit of this up for you then, hmm? From an unbiased perspective?” She glared at Rose, who made no reaction at all, simply looking over her cousin in disappointment.

Her voice gaining conviction, Lily stood, staring Travis straight in the eye as she began. “My mum and Scorpius’ dad lived together for nearly a year before my parents were married. Now she chose to hide this information for whatever reason, likely because it had nothing to do with her marriage now, should have had nothing to do with it. But then she decided to tell Rose here all about Draco over a cup of tea last Christmas. Nothing wrong with sharing an old story, right?”

Travis didn’t speak but only nodded, allowing Lily to continue.

“But she said she still loved him.”

“She didn’t say that, Lily!” Rose cut in angrily, but Lily quickly turned on her, snapping.

“She MEANT it!” she screamed, pointing accusingly at Rose. “You said so in the game! In that stupid game! You said she was IN LOVE with him! IN LOVE!”

Rose stood up herself, hands palms down on the table, Travis looking between them both, anticipating their fight but having no say in it. “She said she still thought of him, Lily!” Rose corrected angrily. “She said she still cared about him, and yes she still loved him, but she hadn’t been with him in YEARS!”

“But she was with him the other day wasn’t she?” Lily snapped.

“Look, this is all my fault, Lily!” Rose shouted. “Your mum told me all that in confidence because she was trying to help me and I’m not about to let you paint her black for being honest with me! She didn’t do anything wrong!”

“Oh? And how was she helping any of us? She’s been the cause of all the problems we’ve had, everything that happened this semester!”

“She helped me!” Rose cried. “I didn’t have a clue what to do about loving Scorpius and she told me all that to help!”

The table went silent and Lily glanced down at where Travis still sat, Lily’s face stricken, hoping Rose hadn’t blown her chance with the Slytherin boy with her outburst but Travis just sat there, glancing up at Rose and waiting for her to continue, not a hint of judgment or blame on his face.

Rose slowed her breathing, meeting Travis’ eyes unapologetically, and then facing her cousin. “What? Do you expect me to apologize, Lily?” she said quietly. “Do you expect me to rush to fix what I just said so as to spare Travis’ feelings?”

“Rose…” Lily breathed, still glancing fearfully at Travis, unable to understand how he hadn’t left in a storm of anger.

“I liked Scorpius, it’s the truth so why should I hide it from him, or apologize for it?” Rose asked, still in her careful measured voice. Travis was still watching, simply listening. “He knew,” Rose continued. “Travis knew I liked Scorpius even before I did, certainly before you. And I did like him Lily. The fact that you’re dating him or Travis’ being here now doesn’t change what happened then. And I shouldn’t have to apologize for it, and neither should you mum have to apologize for what happened in her past. Why should you so readily assume she’s cheating on your dad for something that happened before either of us were born? How is that fair?”

“But, but Travis…” Lily cut in, glancing fearfully down at the older boy.

“I’m not apologizing,” Rose answered. “And why should I have need to? He’s here now, isn’t he?” Her cheeks flushed pink at that and Travis’ lips quirked a fraction of an inch.

There was silence then and Travis waited a minute before breaking it. “Am I supposed to make my verdict now? Having heard both sides?” he asked calmly but with a kind, faint smile.

Lily’s face darkened, her green eyes glaring down at him. “Fortunately, it’s my choice that matters and not yours, Travis,” she said coldly.

Travis’ smile disappeared, looking at Lily with only sadness.

“You just don’t want to forgive your mum,” he murmured, “Or Rose.”

“What?” Lily asked in shock, even Rose’s eyebrows lifting in surprise as she looked questioningly down to Travis.

“What are you talking about? Rose and I are fine.”

“You’re not,” he replied, still addressing Lily. “Or you would be trying a bit harder to listen to her.”

“I’m not listening because she’s wrong!” Lily corrected angrily.

“No, you’re not listening because it’s Rose contradicting your boyfriend and you don’t want her to be right. You’re mum’s past isn’t an excuse for you being a child anymore, Lily. You need to sort out your own problems instead of hanging them all on your mum’s mistakes, past or present.”

“Go to hell, Bletchley,” Lily snapped, her eyes cold and distant.

“Is that true, Lily?” Rose asked, hurt. “You’re still mad at me.”

“I’m not mad at you, Rose,” Lily explained.

Rose pursed her lips, finishing the sentence for her. “You just won’t forgive me.”

Lily opened her mouth but was unable to speak.

“Well then,” Rose murmured, collecting her mostly untouched teacup and Travis’, walking them over to the sink. Travis watched her, expressionless while Lily could only stare, still having nothing to say.

“I think Travis and I had better go then,” Rose said, calmly wiping her hands on a dish towel.

Travis nodded, standing up and pushing his chair in, meeting Lily’s downcast eyes. “Is there anyone you would listen to, Lily, really listen to? Or are you just mad at everyone?”

Lily’s glare hardened at that. “I’d rather have a heart to heart with Draco Malfoy himself that continue speaking with you about things you don’t even understand.”

Travis smirked, inclining his head slightly. “Then Rose and I will be off. Enjoy your tea.”

With that, he guided Rose out of the kitchen, his hand hovering just over the small of her back.

Rose glanced back from the door for just an instant but left with Travis, the front door clicking shut behind them.

Lily watched them go with a mixture of defeat and deadened anger, unsure how the Slytherin boy had seen everything so well.

*

“Well,” Travis began, putting his hands on his hips and glancing up at the clouds, sounding more cheerful than Rose thought was appropriate. “Time to fetch another Knight Bus.”

Rose glanced up at him, her face a mask.

“I’m sorry that that was just…” she chuckled dryly, “a complete waste of time.”

“Not your fault,” he cheered her, lightly knocking her elbow, “and after all, even if it was your fault, you wouldn’t be all that likely to apologize, would you?” he grinned.

Rose turned pink but held his gaze nonetheless. “I was serious,” she said. “I’m not apologizing.”

“I’m not asking you to,” he smiled and with that he threw his wand hand out, summoning the Knight Bus. Rose’s shoulders slumped, glancing back to her cousin’s house before boarding the triple decker bus.

“Where to?” the driver wheezed.

“Malfoy Enterprises in London,” Travis answered.

Rose whipped her head up, looking to Travis in surprise. “But why…?”

“Your cousin said she’d rather talk with Draco, didn’t she?” he asked quite innocently.

Rose’s lips began to turn up at the corners in disbelief. “And you think she’ll change her mind if she talks to the one person she hates the most right now?”

“Well it certainly can’t hurt things, can it?” Travis grinned. “She can rail at him all she wants, but I’ve been around that man when Scorpius isn’t getting his way before and I can guarantee she won’t get anywhere with him, not if he’s made up his mind to stop her.”

“And why would he decide to do that?” Rose asked quietly.

“Well don’t you think it’s possible he still loves her mum too?”

Rose smiled, climbing the bus steps and taking Travis’ hand, both smiling at each other. With a sharp crack the bus took off like a fire cracker and the two of them were thrown against the back of the bus, Travis with a grunt of surprise and Rose a squeal of fright. As the bus went careening through the streets, Travis and Rose collapsed in a fit of laughter, the Slytherin boy eventually gaining his balance and helping Rose up and into the nearest seat before they could both be thrown back again.

Leave a Review