"Take your sunglasses off! I hate looking at myself when I'm talking to you!"

"They're for disguise, woman. Get over it already. But if it makes you feel any better, I hate looking at you when you're talking, too."

I shrieked in frustration and sipped violently at my beer. Definitely not helping the attractive factor. "We are indoors! And it's ten PM! At a PUB!"

His eyebrows rose briefly above his sunglasses and I assumed he was rolling his eyes. What ever happened to my courageous savior, he who came to me in my most desperate time of need? Charlie... and my father. I could hardly control my tears as the image played before my eyes yet again. My countenance was blank, of this much I was sure. But he saw it in my face. He always knows. Maybe my expression is like this when he wakes me from the nightmares where I'm screaming into my pillow. My face blanched.

When he tossed his sunglasses to the table and looked me in the eyes, I felt embarrassed.

"I'm sorry, Ginny. I was being insensitive." His voice was much softer and his eyes, though piercing, were warm. Sometimes I just don't understand him.

He turned his head towards a passing bartender and said, "Can we get a gin and tonic over here?"

"Sure thing, mate," replied the bartender and Draco turned back to me.

"Gin and tonic, eh?"

"Aye, figured it would be your drink."

I giggled at his use of the word, 'aye'. "Since when are you Scottish, Malfoy?"

He smiled mischievously and said, "Since we became wanted men and women, my bonny lass."

---

Draco Malfoy and I had been on the run for two months now. He was there when I needed him. After my father and Charlie were killed and I was hors de combat, he brought my blank eyes and lame shoulders back to life. However, after witnessing all of the death and national despondency, we decided to take things into our own hands.

We were "wanted men and women". Bellatrix Lestrange knew that we were a threat to her malicious schemes. Even with Voldemort gone, she would carry out his plans. We wanted to throw a wrench in her spokes, as the Muggle saying goes. But even more, we wanted her to hurt.

We weren't trying to be good guys or heroes. We just wanted to feel the sweeping satisfaction of revenge. Eventually we would find Bellatrix. Eventually we would take back what we lost. But for the time being... we just needed to survive.

---

I was so sloshed I had mistaken the coat rack as a skinny Malfoy. That didn't go over so well. Apparently, drinking myself into a stupor wasn't an accepted method of survival or revenge. It was Draco's idea to hit the pub.

"I am NOT that skinny! I mean, come on now, woman! Get yourself together!"

"Draco, hold me up!"

"Oh for Merlin's sake..."

As Draco hoisted me up, I saw from beneath his arm a man in a black jacket approaching the barkeeper. They exchanged whispers with each other and the man in the black pulled out a piece of paper and pointed at two items. However... in my drunken haze, I didn't think anything of it. I believe that my stupidity is how most of me and Draco's adventures got started.

Draco hoisted me off to an alley between the pub and the neighboring smoke shop. He leaned me gingerly against the wall. There was something tender in his actions; something was different.

"I swear, Weasley, you are something else!" He shook his head, amused and unbelieving, about to continue on that thought. But I had other things on my mind. I placed a hand on his chest. He looked down at my hand and then my face, surprised.

"What?"

"Malfoy, have you ever thought about what goes on in my head?"

The cold air began to sober my senses. He gave me a playful grimace. "Why would I put myself in that scary of a place?"

"I mean, really? Do you ever... wonder?" My hands were gripping the sleeves of Draco's gray jumper. I looked at his confused, pouty lips, considering... I could have been more specific, but I found there was no need. He understood me well.

"I... I-" No words formed in his mouth. What happened to the cool condescension and Malfoy air?

I shivered; the breeze was cooling the sparse but warm perspiration forming on my cheeks. My face was just flushed from the alcohol... right? He leaned in to block the cold from reaching me. My face was in his woolen jumper and I breathed deep. His scent grounded me and inspiration took me.

I lifted my chin up with what confidence I could muster and looked him in the eye. I had never realized how tall Draco really was until I was this close to him, gazing up at him. I suddenly realized how much I appreciated it.

He was looking beyond me, at the wall. His eyebrows were furrowed with some inner conflict that I didn't quite understand but didn't care to, either. Suddenly resolute, he wrapped his right arm around my waist and pulled me into him. I was pressed against his body and I could sense the culprit behind his conflict. But for the record, I wasn't complaining.

"Draco..." I let the moan stumble from my lips, trying not to sound like alcohol was guiding my thoughts. "Thanks for taking me out tonight and getting my mind off of our exile. I really... I really-"

"Weasley, don't say anything obnoxious and ruin the moment. I may regret having a freckled thing like you in my arms this way." His smile was the same impish smirk he'd shown me in the pub. I felt like his possession suddenly. And I found I enjoyed that.

However, in an intoxicated attempt to hold my snappy ground, I opened my loud mouth. "How dare you-"

"Gin. Shhh. Don't ruin the moment." He placed a finger on my lips and looked into my eyes. Yes, he'd had a couple of drinks. But nothing I sensed in his gaze was insincere. It was all intensity.

He placed his left hand on the wall behind me and his right traced caresses on my face. I let my hand travel down to his waist. I pulled his hips closer, wanting to close in any space between us. The friction teased us, I knew.

Draco chuckled. "You wanted me that bad, Weasley?"

"Do I want you that bad, Draco?" I asked.

I wanted to say something witty or smart as usual, but instead, I realized that this was the decisive moment where I could change things. I pulled his face to mine with deliberate leisure and whispered, "Aye, I do."

And I kissed him.

The numerous gin and tonic drinks in my system gave me the power to push past the embarrassment in being so forward. One of his hands grazed through my hair and found its resting place on the back of my neck, curling and tugging at my hair. My hands were around his neck, my back arched in my attempt to pull him closer to me. The contact between our bodies gave me a chill, yet a warm sensation settled between my legs.

His lips were soft but his kisses were filled with just the right amount of pressure. His hands explored so much of me and I could feel him smiling on my mouth when I moaned his name. "Draco..."

My tongue found its way into his mouth and I could feel my body's reasoning. I wanted to close every possible space between our trembling bodies. There was a fever settling over us that we wanted to enjoy, but never let ourselves touch with all of the running we were doing. It felt like we were living like other people and not giving ourselves the chance to savor what little joy we could find. But now I felt like I couldn't imagine tearing my body from his. How fickle humans are.

Draco's hands found their way down my waist and up my shirt. His hands were like ice and they made me shiver against him. My chills pushed Draco further, as our bodies desperately clung to each other. I could feel my hands running through his hair and tugging at him, like I was begging for something more. His lips found their way down to my neck and I murmured his name again. As his hand traveled up my stomach to brush up against my chest, we heard voices.

"I saw them head this way, officer."

"You are sure it was them?"

"The wanted people on the poster? Absolutely sure, sir!"

I pulled away from Draco. Fear and shock were etched into my features. I couldn't calm down; my heart was racing for multiple reasons. I pulled my shirt down, fretting. So he grabbed my hand to ground me and gazed at me, melancholy and simultaneously gentle. We knew what we had to do.

"Come on, Weasley, it's time to run."

---

So we turned down the alley and ran.

Things were going to be different from now on, I was sure of it. Our goals hadn't changed. I knew our relationship was evolving, but I knew it wouldn't change our resolve regarding Bellatrix. If anything, I felt strengthened by these feelings that started to form. I felt like we could take on the world together. But we were taking on someone more powerful. I could only hope it was enough.

Author notes: Because some of some kind feedback that encouraged me to continue writing their story in this AU, I intend on continuing their story. Hopefully you'll read those too. :)

The End.
thelovemachines is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked The Decisive Moment also liked 1016 other stories.
Leave a Review