“Ambition is but avarice on stilts, and masked” – Walter Savage Landor

---

Draco wants.

It’s in his nature, and there is no limit. He wants, acquires, and wants again. Either something new, as he’s gotten bored of whatever it is he currently has, or simply more of what he’s already got, almost to the point of ridiculousness. But the truly ridiculous thing is just how often he gets what he wants – which is to say, almost always. Perhaps it’s due to being the only child of a pair of very rich people who only encourage him to think loftily of himself, but Draco is used to getting what he wants when he wants it.

In this case: he wants revenge. He didn’t enjoy that feeling of losing, however brief it was, and the realization that Ginny is in fact jealous is satisfying on several levels.

When Draco first discovered it, he really just wanted a bit of revenge, and perhaps to confirm her feelings. He was almost entirely positive that Ginny Weasley was jealous, but there was still that lingering doubt.

That doubt is no more now. And Draco is happy, because he’s finally got the Weasley – both in the sense that she has finally seemed to fall for him, and also in that he has completely and undeniably one-upped her. There is no question about who was the victor in their latest encounter.

And yet… Draco still isn’t satisfied. He knows he’s done well enough that he should be, but that’s never stopped him before. He could easily grow addicted to that look on Ginny’s face as he whispered in her ear about Astoria. That crushing defeat, right there, and proof that she wanted him at the same time. It was, for lack of a better word, delicious.

And Draco, for lack of a better metaphor, is starving.

Of course, he does still intend to return to the Weasley eventually. Astoria is pleasant enough he supposes, and she’s certainly beautiful. But she was also rather boring on that one date, and Ginny (much as he might deny it) is beautiful too, without the drawbacks. And of course she carries with her the added bonus of severely angering Potter & Co., though to be honest that’s never the first thing on Draco’s mind when he sees her. Or even in the top ten, really.

But it’s not as though dating Astoria is going to be some horrible chore after all, even if he isn’t particularly attracted to her. And this will give him more opportunities to be around Ginny. He can take the time to pave the way for their impending relationship; well, when he isn’t amusing himself by torturing her into a fit of jealous humiliation.

There’s a niggling sort of feeling in the back of Draco’s head that insists this is a very bad idea, but that’s nonsense. It will be hilarious and beneficial at once, and Weasley deserves the punishment anyway. Besides, it’s not like there’s any turning back now. If he did back out now, Ginny would assume that Astoria had turned him down and would only mock him for it.

The little protest in his head is quashed instantly under Draco’s determination to never let that happen. He proceeds to ask Astoria to be his girlfriend and takes her joyous acceptance in stride (actually, her reaction was rather calmer than Draco would have preferred, but he does not dwell on this). Whenever he sees Ginny for the next few days, she turns bright red and leaves quickly, and Draco is satisfied.

It is only now, a week later, that he realizes what he has done.

Ginny Weasley is in the same room as he is and is not looking at him. Astoria is, in little quick glances, and she is smiling and she has her arm wrapped around his (she seems oddly fond of doing that; it’s a bit weird actually) as she holds his hand. She is talking to Ginny, and Ginny is talking back. And yes, when Draco narrows his eyes at her and waits long enough, a blush tints her cheeks a soft pink, but it’s in no way comparable to that lovely carmine shade of just a few days ago.

Only then does Draco realize: he really didn’t think this through. Of course the effect would begin to wear off in time – and now, it suddenly occurs to him, the Weasel is actually talking to Astoria. Like nothing is wrong. There is no glaring at all. No catfight.

Ginny should be cursing her former friend and unable to talk with her due to her rampant jealousy. Why is she laughing with Draco’s girlfriend? Draco’s girlfriend!

He excuses himself without a word (actually, most people would probably describe the action as Draco simply ditching the two girls) and wanders aimlessly down a hallway, thinking about it. It’s all clear now; he really should have thought this through earlier. The Weasley knows he knows that she likes him. And she also knows that he knows that she knows that he knows she likes him. Add this up with her friendly attitude towards Astoria and pretense that Draco doesn’t exist, and it’s clear: she’s blaming him.

That’s… there’s not actually anything wrong with this, in and of itself. After all, it is his fault; he actually is the one to blame. Yet... Draco isn’t pleased with this result. And on second thought, dating Astoria isn’t something he’s pleased with either, not if it doesn’t make Ginny jealous.

He should just break up with her. Right now. And then go snog the Weasley somewhere; that’d show her. And then he would win, as he should, and he’d also get to snog the Weasley. She’s had that coming for a while, and she certainly wouldn’t be expecting it either.

No, this will be good. Draco can still dominate the playing field completely. He can picture it quite easily: he’ll have her cornered, her back up against a wall, and she will be wide-eyed.

“B-but – Astoria…” she’ll say, and Draco will smirk and shrug.

“I got bored.” He will lean close, and her face will flush red. “But you won’t bore me, will you, Weasley?”

He won’t let her answer. He will kiss her first, and after that he not only won’t let her have the time to respond, she won’t even be able to think of anything to say.

“Draco…” That will be the only word out of her lips! And Draco will be the uncontested victor, because he knows what he wants and he gets what he wants.

“Draco!” Draco breaks free from his… planning, and looks up to find himself in front of the Great Hall. Students are already gathering for dinner, which should begin shortly, and Astoria is calling his name.

Well, then. This is convenient. He doesn’t even have to search her out, and he will have an audience too, which is always nice. Draco performs well to a crowd. “Ah, good timing Astoria,” he says, “I wanted to tell you something–”

“May I go first?” she asks sweetly, and not even Draco is upset that she just interrupted him. She’s just too nice. And innocent. And sweet.

Come to think of it, how did she ever become a Slytherin in the first place?

“Sure,” Draco shrugs. He might as well allow her one last gush before he breaks her heart, after all.

“Thank you, Draco,” Astoria smiles, and there are people watching their exchange. Of course there are; Draco is Draco, and Astoria has quite a few fans in the male population already. “I just wanted to let you know that I’m breaking up with you.”

“That’s nice, I – ” Draco stops. Suddenly. “What?”

Astoria shrugs gently, smiling softly. There is a distinct click! as that Creevey boy undoubtedly snaps a picture (probably for his ‘private collection’, the little wanker). “I’m sorry. You’re a great guy. I just got… bored.”

She smiles. Draco – well. He just. Stands there.

Whispers suddenly start to spread; Draco can hear them, like animals rustling in the brush. He feels a flush work its way up his cheeks. Astoria simply walks past him, through the opening doors of the Great Hall. Eyes following her haplessly, Draco catches sight of a long flash of red; when his eyes automatically focus on it, he sees Astoria walk up to Ginny Weasley, say something, and then the two laugh.

She just dumped him. She did. Dumped him. Here. Right here in front of everybody.

And now she is laughing. With Ginny Weasley.

...He questioned her being in Slytherin why, exactly?

Author notes: Thanks go out to MidnightxRed and raspberry-rave for their work on this chapter.

Leave a Review