The Ministry was on high alert; they had sent out as many Aurors as they could find that would take this case, though discouraged any red-haired female to stay behind. Protection was the key, their only concern.

Draco had heard the reports as he sat at his desk, looking over file work. He rubbed his eyes tiredly and conjured up a cup of coffee, which he drank instantly. Vaguely, he wondered where Ginny was, if she was safe.

A knock on the door interrupted his thoughts, and as he turned his head, he saw Pansy standing there. She frowned at him and shut the door behind her as she sat in the chair across from him.

“Might want to put a leash on your old friend,” she said. “He looked like a stray when I left this morning, standing outside watching. I would have been worried if I hadn’t talked to him first. That was a smart move sending him to keep tabs on her.”

Draco shrugged. “It was easier for him to go there since Ginny doesn’t want to see me.”

“This is all hard for her. She’s scared she’s next.”

“She’s not,” Draco said, his hand trembling as he clutched the pen he held tightly. “Not while I’m still breathing.”

“Then you have to protect me,” a voice mumbled from the doorway. “Because if I die without being able to kiss you again, I’ll be so pissed.”

Draco managed a smile as he looked over at Ginny. Then he shifted his gaze to Pansy. “Nice diversion.”

“You’re easy,” she said, standing. “Keep her safe.”

Draco nodded, and as Pansy left, he looked at Ginny. “Sit. I have something to take care of. Keep the door locked until I come back.”

“It’s daytime,” she reminded him.

With his hand on the door, he glanced back. “You can’t be too careful.”


____



I watched her, followed her to make sure she was the one that Iwanted. When it was safe and she was alone, I took the opportunity to step in her path. She stopped walking and looked at me, her eyes hesitant as she tugged a hand through her red hair and demanded to know what I wanted.

That had done it.

I had taken her by the hair, wrapping my fingers around the locks so tight that my knuckles turned white, and slammed her head repeatedly into a brick wall. She didn’t cry out because she had already lost consciousness, her limp body slipping from my grasp onto the ground amidst the rats and trash.

As I left, whistling, I tried to scrape the dirt and blood from my hands.

____



Draco swept the door to the Ministry open and staggered in, his arms full of papers and two cups of coffee. As he headed to his office, he thought about what he was going to do when he got in there. As he opened the door, he found her lying on the couch across the room, her eyes closed, breathing softly.

He crept beside her, stuck the coffee below her nose, and watched her eyes flutter.

“That smells good,” she murmured. “Hazelnut?”

“Uh-huh.”

She cracked an eye open and reached a hand out. “Can I have some?”

“You think this is for you?” He raised an eyebrow.

“Isn’t it?” she asked, frowning. She scratched her head. “Where did you go?”

“I had errands to run,” he said, looking out the window. “I guess you’ve been losing sleep over all this.”

“I haven’t slept since you came to visit,” she muttered. The shadows under her eyes proved that. “I guess that’s pretty pathetic.”

“It’s not.” Draco shook his head as he turned it to look at her. He crouched down to sit on the floor by her and handed her the coffee. “Take it.”

She put her hands around the cup. “Thank you.”

He leaned his head back and shut his eyes. When he felt her fingers tread through his hair, he automatically moaned.

“Sorry,” they said in unison.

He kept his head back, his eyes on her face. He reached a free hand to curl it into her hair and brought her mouth to his in an awkward kiss. When she tugged his shirt, he climbed onto the couch with her. From that point, after their coffee fell over and stained the carpet, they made love on the leather, trying to be as quiet as possible.

“Did you cast a Silencing Charm?” Ginny murmured, her mouth moving against the skin of his throat. She was straddling him, eager for the second round, as she felt his intake of breath and a small laugh vibrate through him.

“Of course I did.”

He pulled her head away from him and stared at her flushed face, her swollen lips. His jerked his head up and caught her mouth in a rough kiss, his fingers traveling against her bare back as he sat up.

“Good.” She was able to guide him back into her body as she gripped his shoulders, her nails digging enough to draw blood.

____



I was in a daze, wondering how I had gotten here. I looked around and felt a shudder run through me. It was unpleasant and unwelcome and it frightened me. Leaning against the wall of the bar, my gaze swept across all of the faces, and my insides twisted.

I grew anxious when someone I knew waved and urged me over. Had they spotted me coming inside? Could they tell me why I was here? No, I didn’t think so. I bit my lip and walked forward to my friend, slowly casting glances at the women I passed.

Anticipation boiled down deep in my gut as I let out a breath. I watched as the front door open and she came from the street, her hair soaked from the rain, making it darker than I knew it was. She was wearing a low-cut dress that could easily be ripped from her tiny body. I would take pleasure in touching her.

Her eyes, wide and doe-like, watched me as she went up to the bartender and ordered a drink. When her glass came, she held it, turned, and smiled. She was too naïve to see what was coming, and I relished the way she would scream when I was through with her.

My friend frowned as I changed direction and headed toward the bar, whistling as I went.
Leave a Review