The lyrics that will keep popping up are from "Run" by Snow Patrol.

*~*

Draco was sitting in his office at the Ministry staring off into space. He'd been distracted for days. He had no idea where his focus had gone. He needed to get himself in gear. He would have to see his son off to Hogwarts in a few weeks. Perhaps that was why he was distracted. He did not like to think of Scorpius leaving, but it was a fact of life. The boy needed to attend school. Draco needed to be clear for that.

There had been several attempts on his life over the years because of his involvement with the Death Eaters. he doubted someone would try while he was sending his son off. not with all those other children and wholly innocent people about, but there was no guarantee.

A knocked sounded at the door.

"Enter."

"Mr. Malfoy," said Mrs. Potts from Human Resources. "I do believe we have found you a new secretary. This is Miss Spinner."

Draco raised a brow at the tiny woman. His former secretary had had the bad form to get herself pregnant. She and her husband were quite ecstatic, but Draco had been annoyed with the prospect of having to train his new assistant to his odd habits and quirks then deal with said temp until his regular returned.

The woman did not look like anything extraordinary. She had mousy light brown hair that was pulled into a ponytail and eyes hidden behind glasses with huge frames.

He would later look back upon the events that would follow and realize he'd never stood a chance. The Fates had been hell-bent on 'correcting' things.

But he knew, upon refection, it was all that Spinner woman's fault.

She was the catalyst.
Leave a Review