Chapter 7 – Breaking the News

 

Ginny woke to sunlight filling her small, lavender room.  ‘Purple is the color of royalty,’ Madame Boucher had instructed in her very first class here. ‘You, my dears, can never be anything less than the Muggle dynasties of old.  Therefore, our school color is purple.’  As she stretched, her one graceless action of the day, Ginny noticed one of the small, silvery school messenger owls sitting patiently outside her window.  Rising from her bed, she opened the window to retrieve the letter.  After a gentle hoot, the owl flew silently back over the grounds. 

Ginny took the letter and placed it down at her desk, breaking the wax seal before carefully murmuring a flattening charm at the parchment. 

 

Ginevra,

I must speak with you on a matter of the utmost importance.  Please come to my office as soon as you are ready for the day.

Jeanne Boucher

Deputy Headmistress

 

Ginny had grown quite used to the professor’s short, nondescript epistles after ten years.  ‘A matter of utmost importance’ could be anything ranging from the tea stain on her robes to the announcement of her father’s death.  She had heard from her family the previous day and there was no mention of anyone being in ill health, so she assumed it was more in line with the former.  She dressed quickly, donning her deep purple day robes, and hurried off to see what the fuss was about.

 

-----

 

“Come in,” a soft voice responded to her knock at the door.  Ginny walked gracefully into the room and gently shut the door behind her.

“Please, my dear, do take a seat.  Would you care for coffee?”  Professor Boucher inquired.

“Please, thank you,” Ginny smiled.  She was missing breakfast this morning to attend this meeting and caffeine at the very least should get her through the morning classes until she could get sustenance at lunch.  The professor placed two steaming cups of coffee on the desk then looked at Ginny very gravely.

“First, it might be best if you read this.”  She handed Ginny a newspaper clipping from the Daily Prophet dated two days prior.

“W-what?!  They can’t do this!”  Ginny cried, her voice rising dangerously after she finished reading the article.  The look on her face was one of stunned, indignant fury.  “I’m not even in the country, this doesn’t affect me, right?”

“I’m afraid it does concern you.  We received a notice yesterday morning that you are required to marry a Mr. Draco Malfoy.  While we were able to convince them to hold off on your marriage until you completed your studies, there is nothing more we can do.”  She sighed heavily.  “Sadly, this is only a place of learning, not a fortress.  The magic in these walls protects its students, but once you graduate, you are no longer protected.”

“But – how?  Why would the Ministry even think this is a good idea?  That whole idea of reducing Squib births is simply ridiculous -” Professor Boucher held up a hand to stop one of Ginny’s infamous tirades.

“Yes, we know the logic is fundamentally flawed.  That, however, is nothing more than a cover story to push the Ministry officials own corrupt agenda.  You see, while the Dark Lord was defeated nearly five years ago, the defeat was merely a small deterrent to his loyal followers with a single mindedness towards blood purity.  They’ve managed to either take influential positions in the Ministry or they’ve bribed enough officials to have the same effect.”  She pursed her lips, clearly finding the situation very distasteful.  “After pressing for specifics, I managed to get a copy of the actual law on Ministry records.  What is written in the article only applies to half-bloods: Muggleborns are indeed expected to have two children within the first five years, but if they do not, they will be banished from the Wizarding community.  Additionally, there is a very subtle difference in their binding ceremony where the Ministry official performs for them that includes a very strong contraceptive charm that lasts for nearly ten years.”

“That’s outrageous!” Ginny fumed.  “They’re purposefully driving the Muggleborns out!”

Madame Boucher’s lips thinned even more.  “It only gets worse – purebloods are expected to have at least five children within the first ten years of marriage.  Much like the Muggleborn binding ceremony, a very strong, permanent fertility charm is placed on the couple.  You will almost certainly have no issues in having that number of children in the limited time frame.”

Ginny groaned, resting her face in her hands.  “You’re sure that there’s no way I can get out of this?  At the rate this seems to be going, I won’t be able to play Quidditch again, not if I’m going to be nearly constantly knocked up.”

Professor Boucher smiled sadly at her pupil.  “Yes, we noticed that too.  As much as you love Quidditch and we all admire your quick-footed strategy, we feel that your efforts this last trimester would be better suited to focusing solely on robe-making.  The headmistress and I have prepared a response to send to the Bluebirds after this had been discussed with you.”

“Yes,” Ginny answered dully.  Her long-term plan had been to play Quidditch professionally and then open her own line of wizarding robes to slowly integrate Muggle styles into the Wizarding world so that they wouldn’t look so out of place in the Muggle world.  Now it seemed that she was going to simply skip the Quidditch part and start her robe business right away.

“Well, I know this is certainly quite a bit to digest, so you have been granted leave from your classes for today.”  The professor stood, placing her hands on the large desk between them.  “I am always here if you need to discuss this – situation.”  Her lip curled in disgust.  “Unfortunately, I must also inform you that while your fiancé will leave you to your own devices while you finish your studies, he will be attending your graduation and will accompany you to the Ministry immediately afterwards for the binding ceremony.”

 

-----

 

Ginny sat at her desk that evening, seemingly not noticing the several sheets of blank parchment sitting in front of her.  She needed to write to the Holyhead Harpies and tell them that, as deeply honored as she was that they wished to recruit her to play Chaser for them, she would be unable to accept  the offer due to her impending marriage.  She also needed to write a letter to her parents to inform them of her upcoming nuptials.  Finally, as twilight gave way to darkness, she turned the lamps in her room on with a swish of her wand and began writing.

 

Dear Madame Morgan,

While I am extremely honored that I have been selected as a Chaser for the Holyhead Harpies, I regret to inform you that I will no longer be able to accept this position.  Unfortunately circumstances beyond my control have arisen that make it impossible for me to retain the position.

Regretfully,

Ginevra Weasley

 

 

Dear Mum and Dad,

I’m sure by now you’ve heard of that dreadful marriage law that the Ministry has put forth.  I will expound my knowledge of it more when I see you in person at my graduation in June, though I’m sure Dad already knows quite a bit about it already. 

Unfortunately, a wizard by the name of Draco Malfoy has obtained a marriage license compelling me to marry him.  I really know nothing of him or his family; would it be possible for you to enlighten me?  I already have a dislike for him because he is forcing this marriage on me, especially since it forced me to respond to Madam Morgan and decline the position of Chaser.  I was so looking forward to being able to play Quidditch professionally and am now incensed even more at this dreadful law.  Anyways, he will be attending my graduation and we will then leave together for the Ministry for the binding ceremony.

I’m looking forward to seeing you at my graduation, even if our visit is going to be severely curtailed.          

Love,

Ginny

 

 

Dear Miss Ginevra,

We regret to hear that you will be unable to play. 

Many of us fear that this new legislation will cause the team to fall into ruin.  Several major sponsors have left us already, sensing the hardships we will face in retaining players.  Many more will undoubtedly follow.

Sincerely,

Madame Morgan

 

 

Dear Ginny,

Oh my dear!  I am so sorry you got caught up in all this.  When your father and I first heard about it, we had hoped you would have some sort of immunity.  I am sorry to hear it isn’t the case, but at least you’ve been ever so graciously allowed to complete your schooling.

As of right now, you and Ron seem to be the worst affected by this new law.  Poor Ron and Hermione were devastated and have begun living as Muggles.  The law doesn’t apply to witches and wizards who are already married, which is fortunate for Bill and Fleur, though they’re still required to have two children rather soon.  Charlie is the only one exempt since he became a Romanian citizen quite a number of years ago.  While I didn’t agree with it at the time, right now I cannot be more grateful.  Harry raced down to the Ministry and selected a woman to marry, that lovely girl Padma he’s been seeing.  It turns out he was not a moment too soon, as there were quite a few other young ladies (and older women too!) ready to forcibly demand his hand in marriage.

I know your father never liked Lucius Malfoy and your brother never liked his son, though the years have passed since Ron knew him.  He’s stayed mainly out of the papers, rather unlike Lucius at that age, and I think that may show that he’s grown up.  I can only hope this is true, since you’ll be marrying him soon enough.  Your father did hear that Lucius demanded you be taken out of school immediately for the marriage, but Draco was insistent that you finish your schooling.  While I see that as the only viable option, I am glad that he already appears to be sticking up for you, despite the fact that you’ve never met.

Well, dear, I hope you keep your spirits up.  I know how hard it must’ve been for you to give up Quidditch, though really, I imagine the Holyhead Harpies will be out of commission till this silly law passes over.

All my love,

Mum

 

 

Dear Miss Weasley,

My name is Draco Malfoy and I am the one whom you will be marrying in a few short months.  I’m quite glad to hear that you’re pursuing a career in Quidditch, as I’m rather fond of the sport myself.  However, my mother is more interested in your fashion design.  I’m sure you’ll be hearing from her shortly after this as she’s been dying to write you.

I would ask for your hand in marriage, but I rather imagine that should I ask, your response would be in the negative.

Draco Malfoy

 

 

Dear Miss Weasley,

I trust you have already received my son’s letter.  Do tell me if you haven’t, as he promised he would send it out yesterday so I could finally write you today.

I’m quite interested in your ideas in fashion design.  I understand if you’ll want to design your own dress, but it first must be approved by me.  Send me a small, doll sized dress when you have the first draft and I’ll send you my comments on it.

Otherwise, I would very much like to meet up with you before the wedding to assess your wardrobe and see if we need to go shopping for anything.  Please let me know of a suitable date and time for us to meet.

Narcissa Malfoy

 

 

Draco Malfoy,

It is because of YOU and your silly marriage contract that I cannot play Quidditch.  Prior to such occurrence, I had obtained a position on the Holyhead Harpies reserve team, which I was obliged to decline. 

I have indeed heard from your mother.  I shall inform her that I did indeed receive your letter prior to hers.  (Is she always quite so… pushy?)

No, I’m afraid that I would not accept your offer of marriage, though I have resigned myself to the fact that we are to be wed.  I would greatly prefer to actually meet and know a person prior to marrying them.  We’ll most likely know each other for mere minutes before the deed is completed.

Ginevra Weasley

 

 

Dear Mrs. Malfoy,

I have sent along my preliminary dress idea and designs.  It has copious anti-copying charms on it, so it is in your best interests not to spread my work around to anyone’s eyes but your own.  I hope it meets your standards.  I have been studying under Coco Chanel, perhaps you have heard of her?  While she is rather elderly at this time, her eye remains exquisite and I have learned a great deal under her tutelage.  (Her words, not mine.)

I am afraid that not even my family can meet with me during the school year, except under the most dire of circumstances.  It would not be possible to arrange a visit between us prior to my becoming your daughter-in-law.  I will also be expelled should I receive any item other than a letter, so I must implore you not to send any items to me.  I assure you that the school provides quite an ample wardrobe and I am not in need of new, or more expensive, robes.

Thank you,

Ginevra Weasley

 

 

Dear Mum,

I am glad that Charlie and Bill have at least managed to escape this mess.  I am dreadfully sorry to hear about Ron and Hermione, it seems that Harry is the only one who managed a happy ending so far.  How about Percy and George?  You haven’t mentioned them yet.

I do hope you’re right about this man.  I could manage with someone who is mature, possibly even become friends, but I loathe the idea of spending the rest of my days with a bully.  Divorce later really won’t be an option, have you read the full law?  I can’t get around the permanent fidelity and fertility charms.  On the bright side, I’ll get knocked up fairly quickly and given the nature of the marriage, I doubt I’ll be going past the five required children.  You’ll be swimming in grandchildren, Mum, at least you’ll love that.

Love,

Ginny

 

 

Dear Ginny,

I’ve enclosed a letter from Ron; we’ve set up some sort of mail thing so that he and Hermione can send letters to us the Muggle way. You’ll have to ask your father about it since I’m really not sure how it works.  The parchment they use is so strange!  They’ve also been mailing us with only one stamp on the envelope, apparently one is quite enough.

Percy was engaged to a lovely girl, Penelope Clearwater, but she’s Muggleborn.  However, since Percy is so high up in the Ministry he’s been appealing to have them still quietly wed.  It seems to be working in his favor right now, although it would be a purely private marriage: any children would be required to attend either Beauxbatons, Durmstrang, or be privately educated and Penelope would not be able to appear at social functions with Percy.  Not at all a life I’d want, Penelope is currently pleading with him to move out of the country after they are married and he’s considering it, though quite torn between his love of country and love of Penelope.

George, well, he’s proposed that he marry himself.  I told him it wouldn’t end well since he can’t possibly have children with himself, but he feels strongly that the law will be repealed before it comes time for him to provide his offspring.  I’m desperately hoping that some lovely young witch snaps him up.  I can barely bear not seeing one of my babies, let alone two.

You seem to be keeping a level head about this catastrophe.  I feel so terribly for you, but I’m afraid the matter is out of our hands. 

Love,
Mum

 

 

Dear Ginny,

Hermione and I have moved in with the Grangers for the time being.  Apparently, Hogwarts isn’t good enough for the Muggle world so we’ve got to sit through all these deadly boring classes and tests.  There are some pretty interesting historical correlations between Muggle history and some of the stuff Binns droned on and on about.  Nothing about the Goblin revolts, sadly enough.

The Grangers are pushing us to go to someplace called Uni after we finish this blasted school work, apparently it’s even more school work, but it gets you a better job.  Muggles have this sport called football that I really like.  It’s got nothing on Quidditch, of course, but it makes due.  I caught onto the rules and plays pretty quickly and I’m something called a “goalie”, which is pretty much the same as a Keeper. I’m hoping to start getting into some minor leagues after I finish this blasted school and use that salary to support ‘Mione and me while she goes to this Uni thing.  (She really wants to go, have you ever seen that girl give up a chance for more homework?  She’s bloody crazy!)

Anyways, it’s been really hard learning how to do stuff without a wand.  It’s incredible what these Muggles have achieved without magic; I’m finally beginning to see why Dad’s so fascinated by them.  Our wands are in safe keeping so the Ministry can’t snap them in two, but they’re under the care of a secret keeper, so I can’t tell you where they are.

I absolutely cannot believe you have to marry bloody Malfoy!  He’s such a git, always calling ‘Mione a mudblood and making fun of Harry and me.  I’d nearly recommend killing yourself, but since I can’t bear the thought of not seeing my little sister again, how about you poison or strangle him on your wedding night?  I’m sure George has some products you can use.  Hermione also says that something called Greek Tragedies have a lot of good ideas as well.

Love,

Ron

 

 

Ginevra Weasley,

Why on Earth would you decline a position on the Holyhead reserves?!  They’re a fantastic team and that’s coming from a Falcon’s supporter.  I know we’ve only got five years to have two children, but I would fully support you playing for three years and then we could both take fertility potions to ensure you have twins before the five years is up.  Please do include me if you’re planning on making huge life altering decisions.

I’m afraid Mother is quite persistent in getting what she wants.  I know that you said that you wouldn’t be able to visit with her, but you should probably expect a visit from her in the coming months.  She’s ecstatic over some robe design you sent her but won’t let me see it.  Apparently you have at least persuaded her that you are a genius at copyright charms.

I am sorry to hear that you wouldn’t want to marry me if I asked you outright.  I am writing to obtain permission from your headmistress to be able to send you a ring, since we are engaged to be married and it would be most appropriate for you to wear my ring.  I am trying to modify the traditional Malfoy setting somewhat since I do not like it in the least, so I am open to any feedback on ring settings that you might prefer.

Draco

 

 

My dear Ginevra,

You should learn that as a Malfoy, nothing is impossible.  I shall meet you for coffee on the twelfth of April at 15:00.  Draco will also be accompanying me as we will be discussing the wedding plans, though I doubt he will have much input.

Cordially,

Narcissa Malfoy

 

 

Mme. Weasley:

Upon close observation of the nuances of the school rules, you are permitted, nay, required, to both receive and wear jewelry bestowed by a betrothed or husband.  Please accept the engagement ring M. Malfoy will be bringing you on Thursday and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

Headmistress Nobel

 

 

Mr. Malfoy,

Apparently you got your wish and I will take your ring on Friday.  I would prefer something that does not require feather light charms and I vastly prefer white gold over yellow.  Something small and understated would be most appreciated.  Invisible would be ideal.

The other issues I will discuss with you in person on Friday.

Ginevra Weasley

 

 -----

 

Ginny bit back another sigh of impatience as she waited in the dining hall for the Malfoys to arrive.  Her mother had made no mention of the elder Mr. Malfoy being dead, but he clearly wasn’t coming.  She looked again at the small table produced by the house elves which was now covered in flaky, buttery pastries, steaming hot coffee, and ice cold cream.  Lena, as usual, had force fed her entirely too much food at lunch not two hours ago, so she feared she would not be able to eat a single bite or drink a single sip of coffee.

After a few minutes, she finally heard a noise at the entry to the dining room.

“Le salle a manger, madame et monsieur,” one of the house elves squeaked.

Ginny turned and saw two thin, very blond figures standing in the doorway with one of the house elves, who was currently squishing its nose into the floor.  “Merci,” she said, thanking and dismissing the house elf, who gave her a toothy smile and disappeared with a loud crack.

“Ah, you must be Ginevra!” the woman exclaimed.  “I am Narcissa Malfoy, and this is my son, Draco.”  The tall man beside her inclined his head as his name was mentioned.

“How do you do,” Ginny said politely.  “I usually go by Ginny, though I’m called Ginevra around here.  Please, take a seat.”  She examined the man again and cursed her mother’s genes.  He was at least 6’ and she was a more diminutive 5’3”.  She would need to look up a good charm to prevent neck pain since she’d be straining to look up at him for the rest of her life.

Narcissa began to prattle on about wedding plans and wedding lists as Ginny poured the coffee and offered pastries.  She appeared to imagine something large and grand, while Ginny didn’t want anything at all.  She was very grateful when Draco finally interrupted.

“Mother,” he said.  “I’m not sure that I want anything large at all.  Don’t you agree, Ginny?”

“Oh yes,” she said gratefully.  “I was under the impression it would be a very simple bonding ceremony at the Ministry with just the two of us.”

Narcissa deflated at this news.  “But… the flowers and the gown you’ve begun designing already, Ginny…”

“I’m sure they’ll all look lovely in the wedding pictures,” Draco cut in smoothly.  “However, I agree with Ginny, just the two of us would be best, don’t you agree?”

“I most certainly think that would be best,” Ginny agreed.  “I would find a large wedding to simply be a farce since we hardly know one another.  I also understand that our families don’t get along so I wouldn’t want that to cause any problems.”

“I suppose,” Narcissa said rather faintly, appearing to wilt before their eyes.

“I’ll tell you what, Mother,” Draco said quickly.  “You finish up with the arrangements for the wedding portraits and I’ll also let you plan the honeymoon for us.  How does that sound?”

“I could do that,” she said with a bit of a frown.  “I still don’t approve of this nonsense of not at least inviting family.”

“Yes, that would be a great help, Mrs. Malfoy,” Ginny chimed in.  “I’m going to be dreadfully busy with school and I’m sure Draco is quite busy with whatever it is that he does.  Since we have to be married so quickly,” she shot a glare at Draco, “anything you do would be a great help.”

“I suppose,” Narcissa said again, still frowning.  “However, I don’t want you to have to look back on your wedding as something your mother-in-law organized, I’d like for you both to have some part in this.”

“We will,” Ginny assured her, laying her hand gently over Narcissa’s.  The less involvement she had in this farce of a wedding the better.  “Draco is taking care of the rings and I’m taking care of my dress.  The model I sent you is charmed to update whenever I update so you’ll be sure to see any changes and plan around those.  I am glad to see you haven’t shown it to anyone…”

“How would you be able to tell?” she gasped.

Ginny smiled mischievously, her first real smile of the day.  “Oh, well, you see, my eldest brother is a cursebreaker.  We devised some rather nasty curses for people who go beyond what my copyright allows them to do.  Never being able to find clothes that fit properly, sudden weight gain, and constant garish makeup are just some of the results of doing more than what I permitted with the clothes.”

Draco began choking on his coffee as Narcissa turned whiter than Ginny had thought possible as she ticked off some of the side effects.  “You have no reason to worry, Ginny,” Narcissa finally managed to say.  “Your creation is quite safe in my hands.”

“I’m glad to hear that,” Ginny said serenely, taking a sip of her coffee.

“Oh, before I forget,” Draco said, as he pulled a box out of his pocket.  “Here is the engagement ring for you, I did receive permission from your headmistress to give it to you.”

Ginny stared helplessly at the ring.  Not only did she have no desire to wear an engagement ring, it was positively ghastly.  It was so large she was sure it would cover both her pinky finger and her middle finger while it sat on her ring finger.  The center stone was black and the size of a galleon, engraved with what she assumed was the Malfoy crest.  Surrounding it were hundreds of tiny emeralds and diamonds.  It was set in bright yellow gold.

She was shaken out of her horror when she heard a laugh of pure amusement.  “Oh Merlin, you actually fell for it,” Draco gasped out between laughs.

“This is the official Malfoy engagement ring,” Narcissa explained, smiling beatifically at Ginny’s horrified expression.  “Very, very few Malfoy brides have ever chosen to wear it.”

Draco pulled a considerably tinier box out of another pocket in his robes.  “I couldn’t make it invisible, but I do hope you like this one better.”

The second ring was infinitely smaller, consisting of a thin platinum band with a small, flawless diamond and an equally sized and equally flawless emerald held in with swirls of the silvery metal.

“This one didn’t have to be charmed feather light and seemed to meet most of your requirements.  Your headmistress did inform me that if I gave you a ring you’d be required to wear it.”

Ginny sighed.  “She already informed me as well, but thank you, this is lovely.”  She grasped the ring and delicately slid it onto her finger, which molded to fit automatically.  As she did so, she could feel her heart sliding heavily into her stomach.  This was official.  She would really be getting married.

Author notes: As usual, many thanks to my beta Lynn and all the lovely reviews that have been left!

Leave a Review