Ginny plopped down next to Draco on his couch. A mischievous grin twitched on her face. "You'll never guess what the Daily Prophet's headline is today."

He raised an eyebrow at her. "Weasley Witch Impresses All--Malfoy Hunts for Wand?"

Her grin grew. "Even better. Well, funnier, at least."

With no idea what to expect, he took the newspaper from her. Draco choked at the actual title. "Wild Date for Weasley and Malfoy--Death Eaters Disapprove?!" Apparently paparazzi had followed them, because right below it stood an enormous picture of the moment Ginny fed Draco her ice cream. It played back in an endless loop, the intimacy clearly evident in the shot.

"Yep," Ginny replied, barely restraining her laughter. "It goes on to explain how of course the Death Eaters can't abide our love. It praises our daring defense of pursuing your heart's desire no matter what everyone else thinks."

Draco barely heard her. The article continued on to describe their forbidden love all throughout their Hogwarts years (complete with eyewitnesses?!) interspersed with incredibly incriminating photos: Ginny laughing as Draco drug her to Quality Quidditch, Draco's arm around her as they left Flourish and Blott's, and...

"They think I tried to jump in front of a Killing Curse?!" Draco shrieked. "What do they think I am, mental?!"

Ginny laughed uproariously. "That's my favorite part! 'The battle maiden fights fiercely as her wandless protector offers the only thing he can--his life!'" She broke into another laughing fit, nearly rolling off the couch.

"You memorized it," Draco stated darkly.

She grinned unabashedly. "Yep! And don't think for a second that I'll ever forget it!"

It angered Draco that someone had bothered to take pictures of Ginny nearly dying without once lifting their wand to help. "These people need something better to do with their lives," he fumed.

"Undoubtedly," Ginny quickly agreed. "But it sure as hell is amusing!"

They even caught the moment where he whispered in her ear, dubbing it, 'The ex-Death Eater reassures the Darling of Dumbledore's Army with a kiss.' He’d have to find a way to surreptitiously keep this paper. Even though the contexts were hilariously inaccurate, their photographer deserved one heck of a pay raise. And a firing.

"DRACO!" His mother's shriek carried through the entire house.

Ginny clapped a hand to her mouth, far too amused by the whole thing. "This'll be bloody fantastic," Draco growled. "If my suicidal corpse is found, know I was framed."

Draco approached his mother's study with great hesitation, not the faintest idea how he'd explain away the mostly-true article.

He leaned against the open doorway, knocking lightly on the frame. "You called?"

His mother smiled thinly, hands clasped atop her ornate mahogany desk. "Sit. And explain."

Draco closed the door behind him and sat.

She shoved the article at him, which he didn't bother to look at. "What in particular, Mother?"

Narcissa’s eyes narrowed. “You went out with the Weasley girl.”

With a nod, he flatly replied. “Yes. She replaced what burned in the fire.”

“But you-- you--!” she gestured broadly to the article. Finally, she picked it up, jabbing a finger at the soon-to-be-notorious ice cream moment so proudly displayed.

Clenching his jaw shut, Draco thought of nothing to say.

His mother’s eyes widened with the realization. “You actually…?”

“What’s wrong with her?!” he exploded. “She’s a pureblood, for Merlin’s sake, and one no one would bloody look down on me for dating!”

Her hand flew to her mouth. “Dating?” she replied in horror.

Internally horrified that he’d let it slip, Draco knew he still had to strike while the iron was hot. “Think of it, Mother. There’s absolutely nothing it can do to hurt us. In fact, I bet it’s already doing loads for the family image. For all the Weasleys helping Harry Potter, everyone's forgotten that they're still purebloods.”

Draco had never seen his mother look so defeated. “But she’s so poor...and so friendly with Muggles…and a Weasley...”

He waited out her emotional outburst. The last thing he needed was his mother interfering in whatever he eventually decided to do. Besides, she had always been an invaluable ally.

Finally, she looked up at him, an incredible sadness in her face. “What do you want, Draco? If it’s her, I’ll stand behind you every step of the way. But don’t you dare do this for the family.”

Once again, he’d underestimated her. “Thank you,” he replied genuinely. “I’m not sure what I want yet, but it may well be Ginny.”

GINEVRA MOLLY WEASLEY--!” a furious voice screeched from rooms away.

“Muffiliato!” Ginny cut it off.

“Was that--?” Narcissa asked, frowning in consternation.

Draco nodded sagely. “A Howler.”

 

 

Draco gave Ginny a few minutes privacy before walking back out. “Everything alright?” he asked guardedly, knowing very well that it most definitely wasn’t.

Ginny jumped, accidentally scattering the ashes. “Oh! Uh, yes, I guess so.” She faced him with a tight smile. “What a surprise, my parents disapprove!”

Draco raised an eyebrow. “You expected differently?”

She snorted, looking away. “Not at all. I just hoped all the times Harry had been slandered would have taught them not to jump to conclusions.”

Slandered. He tried to hide his flinch. “Rest assured.” His tone remained carefully neutral. “My mother is no less pleased by the slander.”

A repressed smile twitched around Ginny’s lips. “Really? After all the things that have been said about your family, this gets her angry? Gosh, I almost feel complimented.”

Draco watched her carefully, unsure how to take her joking. “And after you joined Slytherin Squad, does your family still have any disapproval left to muster up?”

Her smile broke into a full-fledged grin. “Don’t worry, when it comes to my love life, they’ll always find a way. Speaking of the squad, let’s make sure they haven’t mutinied in the wake of the rumors.”

Rumors, Draco had to remind himself.

 

 

Goyle and Warrington hadn’t even noticed the article, let alone cared. So once again, the four remaining healthy members were left lazing uselessly in the Training Room. At the sound of the door opening, they started.

“Miss me?” Blaise drawled, striding inside. Ginny jumped up, throwing her arms around the Slytherin, who chuckled and returned the hug. Daphne followed in behind him, clearly having had their reunion in private.

“How do you feel?” Draco asked, not bothering to hide his grin.

Blaise shrugged. “Nearly right as rain. A bit unstable, but nothing holding me back.” He put his arm around Ginny, who didn’t protest, and smirked up at Draco. “I hear we’ve missed a rather large announcement though.”

“Oh?” Draco raised an eyebrow.

A wicked grin spread across Blaise’s face. “When’s the wedding?”

“We haven’t set a date yet,” Ginny responded primly. “We have to make sure the planets are aligned properly before mixing the blood of a Malfoy with such an inferior strain.”

Draco choked. As everyone else laughed uproariously, he stood in stunned silence.

“Lighten up, Malfoy,” Daphne teased. “We know you’re not marrying her, even if no one else does. How’d they manage to get those pictures, though? Some of them look pretty convincing.”

Ginny frowned at that. “We were just hanging out. It wouldn’t have been a big deal if Death Eaters hadn’t shown up.” Blaise still draped his arm around the Weaselette’s shoulder, who didn’t even seem to notice its presence. A terrible thought hit Draco, that she hadn’t thought it was a big deal, really did think Draco had just been friendly…

Blaise caught his eye and knew Draco far too well. “Surely some shenanigans were had,” Blaise asked Ginny.

Ginny smiled at Draco. “They were.” Unfortunately, the effect was lost on him, as his mind still reeled from the whiplash of how casually she interacted with Blaise.

“Lieutenant?” Draco asked stiffly. “I believe you summoned this meeting for a reason?”

She nodded, stepping away from Blaise and turned to the rest of the team. “Today, you're all learning how to cast Patronuses. No more ‘Dark Wizards can’t cast them!’ excuses out of any of you.”

“But they can’t,” Goyle protested.

Ginny rolled her eyes. “Yes, exactly. And if you’re on this squad, you aren’t bloody one of them!

Slytherin Squad moved inside the spell-proof glass, just in case. Ginny spent the better part of the day going around, correcting wand-work, pronunciation, and casting her own horse Patronus in demonstration. At the end of the day, Blaise might have produced a fine mist, but no one was exactly sure. It certainly wasn’t enough to scare off a rabbit, let alone a Dementor, and was less than useless at the intended purpose of carrying messages.

Every time Draco tried the spell, he could feel maggots about to crawl out of his wand and eat him alive. Hopefully, it was only an overactive imagination, but he couldn’t be too sure.

Hours later, Ginny finally called a break. “You’ve all tried,” she announced to the sweaty, magically exhausted team. “Which is the best I can hope for for now. This won’t be the last lesson, but it’s a good first. Head on home.”

Blaise grabbed Daphne’s hands, twirling her around, and dipping her nearly to the floor. “First, I’m taking this ravishing lady to a proper dinner.”

Daphne blushed furiously, loving every second. “Not in my Auror robes!” she protested, but willingly Apparated away with him.

Draco was glad to see such a pointless day come to an end. About to head back to his house, a hand on his arm stopped him. “What do you want, Weasley?” he snapped.

She frowned, looking hurt. “I wanted to see if you’d let me teach you in private. But it’s fine, nevermind.”

Draco sighed. “I don’t think I’ll get it, Ginny.”

“I’m not willing to settle for that!” She scowled fiercely. “You’re a better person than you give yourself credit for. If it doesn’t kill Snape to cast it, it sure as hell won’t kill you.”

“Alright,” Draco agreed, quietly stunned by her protestations. “I’ll take us somewhere private.”

 

 

Very near the roof of Malfoy Manor, Ginny and Draco appeared on a large uncovered balcony on the fourth floor. Grasping the rail, she looked down--a straight drop onto the Quidditch pitch.

"Is this private enough for you?" Draco asked, knowing full-well it was.

"It'll do," Ginny smirked, pulling back from the railing.

Draco assumed the traditional stance, wand at the ready. Instead, Ginny sat on one of the outdoor couches, patting the seat next to her.

He lowered his wand. "What?"

"You're a talented wizard, Draco. I don't think the wand work is your problem." She beckoned him over. "Tell me about your happy memory."

Draco swallowed, walking over. She could see the hesitation as he perched next to her. "What about it?" he replied tightly.

Ginny smiled softly. "Just tell me why it's so special. Make me understand."

He sighed, and already Ginny could tell the memory was too bittersweet. "The first time my father was sent to Azkaban. My mother and I stayed up the entire night, playing Exploding Snap and keeping each other company." He looked away. "There was nothing we could do to help, so we just helped each other."

Ginny leaned against him. Draco stiffened at the contact momentarily, but relaxed, and wrapped an arm around her. "That sounds like a sad memory."

He shook his head. "It's not." Clearing his throat, he added. "It's one of my fondest memories of my mother."

"It's still probably too mixed of a memory for the Patronus charm," Ginny replied softly.

Draco looked down at her head resting against his chest. "What's your happy memory?"

Her smile instantly broadened. "The end of the war."

"Ah." He looked away.

"Not like that, silly," she chuckled at him. "Grand victories don't fuel Patronus charms." Her voice dropped. "I thought we'd lost Fred during the battle. Ron, Hermione, and Harry were so central to the whole thing, there was no way they'd all survive." She started to tear up, even now, and struggled to force them back. "But they did. Every single one. When I saw them again, my entire family all standing together alive--it was more than my wildest dream come true."

Draco rubbed her arm reassuringly. "I don't have a memory like that."

Ginny frowned. "Surely there's something? Some pure explosion of happiness?"

He pulled his arm back, using the other to push up its sleeve. The faint, raised scar of the Dark Mark stood ghostly white against his pale skin. "My entire life consists of two halves: wanting this, and hating it. Its taint rests on everything I've ever done." Even now, this was the first time he'd shown it willingly since Voldemort's defeat.

Ginny stretched out a hand towards it. "Can I...?"

Draco nodded. With a feather light touch, she traced the symbol that every decent witch and wizard feared.

"I'm the only one in the squad that has it." He stared intently at her fingers. “No one else did anything wrong.”

She frowned, her fingers resting on the skull. “I thought you did it for your family. So that Voldemort wouldn’t kill your parents.”

Grimacing, Draco looked away. “Eventually. I can’t blame them that I got it, though. I was far too excited to be Voldemort’s bloody Chosen One,” he spat the title.

Ginny gave a small smile, trying to lighten his mood. “But it’s the end that matters, right? Where you’re trying to make up for what went wrong?”

“And where I’ll always bear the Mark to show for it.” He yanked his sleeve back down. Or, tried to.

Ginny didn’t let go of his arm. The sleeve caught on her hands. He waited, unsure what she was up to. “I always knew it was there,” Ginny offered lightly. “I didn’t expect it to be so faint.”

Draco blinked hard, and she could see as the emotions caught in his throat. “It’s all I can see,” he finally managed.

“It’s not all I see,” Ginny replied. She slid one hand down his arm, lacing her fingers through his.

He sat still as a stone, not moving away, but not encouraging anything. “I need to try again,” he whispered.

Slowly, he stood, letting her hand drop. “Expecto Patronum!”

Silver mist spilled from his wand. It wasn’t large, but-- “That’s enough to keep away a Dementor!” Ginny’s face glowed with pride.

The spell faded, leaving Draco panting for breath. It was a taxing spell, Ginny knew.

“What memory did you think of?” she asked, grinning. His sleeve still hung open, like he hadn’t bothered to close it. It pleased her to no end.

Draco's wand trembled as he lowered it. "Just now, when you forgave me."

Ginny’s heart leapt into her throat. That she was his happy thought! “I have for a while now,” she replied softly.

Deliberately, Draco approached her. He raised a hand to her face, gently running his thumb across her cheek. She leaned her head into his hand, heart pounding in her chest.

His face scrunched. “Can I..?”

Ginny nodded without waiting for him to finish.

He pressed his lips against hers. Gentle and uncertain, she barely counted it a proper kiss. Ginny reached up, pulling his head closer. His wand clattered to the ground. Draco wrapped his arms around her, pressing her against him. Everywhere they touched felt like fire.

They parted, gasping for breath. Ginny leaned her head against his neck, grinning. “Just when I thought I’d have to give up on you.”

“What do you mean?” The rumble of his voice echoed through his chest. His fingers running up and down her sides ignited wherever they landed.

She giggled. “I’ve been attracted to you ever since the lake!” She looked up at him, raising an eyebrow playfully. “What, you think I let just anyone share my chocolate ice cream?”

“You think I put up with just anyone spoon-feeding me?” he growled in response.

She snorted. “Touché.”

Draco grinned down at her. "Think the squad will even believe us?"

"I think you've got better things to worry about." Ginny pulled his head to hers, silencing him with a kiss.

Leave a Review