Ginny, Draco, and Luna sat in a triangle at the infamous daycare in Diagon Alley. They were in the back of the daycare, the workers not watching them too closely as all three seemed to be able to behave themselves better than most kids their age. Little grownups, the workers would call them.

But today the trio was busy having a discussion. A discussion about marriage and best friends, though how it even came up none of them would have been able to tell you. Though later on it would be realized that there had been faerie influence on all three of them that particular day.

“Well,” Ginny said, “My mum said you’re supposed to marry your very best friend, and Draco is my very bestest friend.”

Luna nodded, her blue eyes big and round. She could have taken that as a slight, but Luna knew that she had been late to the meetings Draco and Ginny had daily. They had known each other longer so of course they were best friends. It didn’t mean they loved her any less at all.

“My daddy says the same thing,” Draco said, tossing his blond hair out of his grey eyes. “But how do we make sure we’ll do it? What if we forget?”

Luna looked around and saw a wand lying on the ground unattended. It looked for all the world like a faerie wand. Like the wand Muggles saw in The Wizard of Oz with a star and streamers. Luna ran to it with all the jubilation of a four-year-old and came running back with it.

“If you make an Unbreakable Vow then you HAVE to get married,” Luna said sagely, as though she held the wisdom of the Universes. Even at four, she was such a Ravenclaw.

This seemed to make sense, and Draco and Ginny clasped hands, Luna holding the wand as they swore to get married when they both became adults.

There was a loud shriek as one of the daycare workers escorted Mrs. Malfoy back to her son, only to see him locked hand in hand with Ginny, a bright chord of light tying their hands together.

“Draco! What have you done?” Narcissa yelled, sounding for all the world like a banshee.

Draco smiled widely and said, “I vowed to marry my best friend, Ginny.”

And with that, Narcissa Malfoy promptly fainted.


Draco was seventeen when they showed him that memory, and he felt like someone had just punched him in the stomach. Him? Marry a Weasley? He hadn’t even known there was ever even such a thing as Wizarding daycare or that he had gone to it. And now his parents were staring at him as though they were wincing in pain, and Draco wanted to hotly deny that he would have anything to do with marrying a Weasley.

But he couldn’t. He’d seen the memory. He hadn’t just vowed to marry Ginny, he had vowed to stay with her forever once they married. There would be no divorce, no end in sight for this miserable existence. Draco Malfoy was going to be forced into a marriage he didn’t want to a girl he was sure wanted him even less.

“How the bloody hell did this even happen? How could those daycare workers be so bloody incompetent?” Draco cried, wanting desperately to be able to blame someone, anyone.

Narcissa cringed. “It seems… well, we’ve shown the memory to several researchers, and they all seem to think this was brought about by a Faerie. That was a Faerie wand in the memory, after all. They tend to meddle in people’s lives, but usually for the better. So… it may not seem like it now, but perhaps this is for the best,” she tried in her best cheery voice.

“Does Weasley know?” Draco demanded.

“Ginevra is being told this morning. You will be married in six months, right before Ginevra becomes an adul,t so as to fulfill the stipulations of the vow. We will start preparations soon. Call her by her name,” Lucius ordered.

“Why? She is a blood traitor! You are actually going to let this happen?” Draco demanded.

Lucius rolled his eyes. “Would you really rather die?” he asked in a resigned voice.

As Draco floundered about for an answer, Lucius realized he had spoiled his son too much. He had wanted Draco to have the best of everything because he knew he wouldn’t be marrying for love or even money. Draco would be marrying to save his own life due to something he had done as a five year old.

It was sad. Lucius inwardly agreed that the daycare workers should have been paying more attention, but if that truly was a faerie wand, nothing could stop faerie magic. It was fate.

So were Draco and Ginevra fated to be together? A Malfoy and a Weasley?

“I don’t want Potter’s girlfriend!” Draco shouted stubbornly.

This was going to be fun.

~~~


Snape and McGonagall had an idea. Well, it was mostly McGonagall. Severus Snape was not going to claim any part of this in case it did not go well. Having found out about Draco and the Weasley girl’s predicament, she had decided that the two needed to get to know each other in a believable way. Namely, detention.

Draco was there first, ten minutes early as usual, skulking about and sneering. His face wasn’t pleasant to behold, and the look McGonagall gave Snape suggested that if this was what Ginny Weasley had to wake up to every morning for the rest of forever, then she felt pity for the young woman.

Ginny was five minutes late to the dungeon classroom. Her hair looked like she had tried to tame the curls in a French braid, but tendrils had escaped and were crackling about her head like fire. Her brown eyes shone amber, and her lips were chapped from being bitten so much the past few days.

“Ah, Miss Weasley, this is Mr… well, this is Draco Malfoy,” McGonagall finished.

Ginny looked petite, like she could easily be broken in a Quidditch game. She looked like she had no fight in her. How was she even a Gryffindor, Snape wondered.

And then she lifted a brow and met Draco’s sneer with a slap clean across his face.

“If I am to be your wife, you will treat me as such. Neither of us has a say in this matter. I am the one who has to get pregnant with your child and give you an heir. The least you can do is pretend to like me if you can’t find it in you to actually like me,” Ginny ordered.

Draco stood up, glowering at Ginny, his frame towering over hers, and yet she looked unafraid. She looked as though she had accepted what was to happen and was damned sure going to make the best of the worst situation.

“Don’t touch me,” Draco hissed.

Ginny took her hand and poked Draco in his arm deliberately, as if to say ‘fuck you.’

“You’re the one who didn’t want to forget about marrying me. If it weren’t for you, we could be perfect strangers,” Ginny said easily.

Draco looked incensed. “That was a faerie wand! It would have happened no matter what!”

Ginny gave a small smile. “Yes, Draco, it would have. Faeries deal with fate, if I am correct. The only time they meddle is to make fate became a reality when it is unlikely to happen on its own. So you can be pissed that we are in this predicament. But this, as you just admitted, was meant to be. So the best thing to do is at least try to be civil to one another.”

“You slapped me!” Draco screeched.

Ginny shrugged. “You were going to call me a blood traitor. I was just preemptive in my strike is all.”

Draco looked like there were several things he wanted to say, but instead he sat down, still glaring.

“My name is Ginevra, but you can call me Ginny.”
Leave a Review