Somehow Ginny and Draco’s Common Room area thingy—as Ginny called it—had a window. A big spacious one that let in lots of natural light which Draco assured Ginny was a very good thing. Of course it wasn’t like there were a lot of options besides windows and candles. And since Hogwarts had a budget, there were many windows and few candles.

This morning, being Sunday, the day after Ginny had kissed Draco, she was awake trying to study as Draco slept in for once. And then came the rapping of the owl on the window. And it was Pigwidgeon. So, Ron had most likely heard about the kiss and was putting his two cents in. Well, as Ginny got up, a response already forming in her head, she wasn’t prepared for it to be Harry’s handwriting on the envelope. She felt like ice water had been dumped over her, and she sat down on the couch and slowly opened the letter and began to read.

Ginny,

I’m sure you’ve realized by now that I heard about your kissing adventure with Malfoy. To say I’m hurt is to put it mildly, but I’ve realized how unfair to you that is. Let me restart this.

Ginny, I’ve spent months of you being in school trying to figure out some loophole to get you out of this situation. I thought being the Boy-Who-Lived might have some sway with the Faeries. I met with them everyday for a week before they told me that in this case they could not be swayed to let the magic undo itself. I have tried to think of ways Malfoy could reword another vow to negate the previous vow, but while I have ideas, that’s all they are. Nothing concrete. Nothing I’m willing to risk your life on.

I was crushed. I always imagined, when I dared to imagine, that we would live together in Grimmauld Place. We’d have a family of our own one day, and your parents would be thrilled to officially call me their son. It’d be like those Muggle fairy tales I never listened to. It’d be everything I never thought I could have.

So when Hermione warned me awhile back that you and Malfoy were trying to actually make this work, I ignored her. Who was he compared to me? I’m the bloody hero, and doesn’t the hero always get the girl? But I guess this time the hero doesn’t. And it’s no one’s fault. Unless you want to blame the Faeries, which part of me still does. But I can’t blame you. And Malfoy was five. He was a baby himself. How can I really be mad at him? I just can’t.

But you two are actually trying to make this work. And I get why. Why not? You have to spend the rest of your life with him. It’ll be easier if you have feelings for him. Apparently you do. You once were so bold to run up to me and kiss me. Now it’s him you’re kissing, and I’m going to have to learn to be okay with that. And I will, for your sake, because I still want you in my life even if it’s just as a friend. I can’t imagine not having you around. It just hurts too much to imagine.

I’m sorry, for what we could have had and never will. I’m sorry for the happiness and love we could have enjoyed for the rest of our lives. But I support you in this. I support you trying to fall in love with him. I support you if you already are. And I am here if you need to or want to talk. I will always be here for you, as your best ear and hopefully down the line as your best friend.

-Harry


Ginny let a single tear drop down her face before she threw the letter into the fireplace before Draco could read it, and she went back to bed.

~~~

“Did you answer him?” Hermione asked later that day in a hushed voice, sitting in the library with Ginny.

Ginny shook her head. “I wouldn’t know what to say. I don’t even know why I did it. I just… I wanted to kiss Draco, Hermione. So I did. How am I supposed to explain that to a man in love with me? I love Harry, but I’m nowhere near being torn up about this. I’m torn up that I’m hurting him because that’s not my intention. But I am not like ‘Oh, I wish I could be with Harry instead.’ It’s a bit sad. But…”

“Don’t stop living your life because you’re worried how Harry will feel,” Hermione said, which rather surprised Ginny. “He will get over it. He goes to other countries, he is bound to meet some woman he likes. He just isn’t ready yet. And that is okay, But it’s also okay that you are. So don’t feel bad for having feelings for Draco. He’s really not that bad. I’m not sure whether it’s you or he’s always been this decent and hiding it, but he’s changed quite a bit. And he looks at you like you’re the Sun and he wouldn’t mind getting burned if he could just touch you.”

Ginny blushed furiously. Did Draco really look at her like that? She hadn’t noticed. Ginny felt like she had spent much of these days with her head in a book, or on the Quidditch pitch practicing with the team (McLaggen was still bitter about losing to Draco). Often she and Draco sat on opposite sides of the table in their common room, working on homework, helping each other where it was needed. So was it really that surprising that Ginny hadn’t noticed anything?

Luna Lovegood plunked down next to Hermione, a dreamy expression on her face.

“Have you and Draco scheduled the wedding yet?” Luna asked.

Ginny shook her head.

“June weddings are lovely,” Luna happily said.

“You said that at the match, too,” Ginny pointed out.

“Because it’s true,” Luna said in her defense, not that she needed one. “Besides, the Faeries in my dream told me you two would get married in June.”

Ginny’s head snapped up so quick she was lucky she didn’t get whiplash.

“The who? Said what?” Ginny asked.

“The Faeries in my dream. They said you both would be married June sixteenth,” Luna informed her.

“Have the Faeries said anything else in your dreams?” Ginny asked, not sure she really wanted the answer to that question.

“No, just that. Oh and that you two were the most important couple in history for some reason, although they wouldn’t say why,” Luna said, tilting her head as though thinking.

Ginny and Hermione shared a stunned look, but that was all Luna had to say, apparently.

“Hermione, red, red, red!” Ginny hissed, seeing McLaggen looking around the library for Hermione.

“Shit,” Hermione cussed, hiding under the table because there was nowhere else for her to run to. Being at the back of the library did that to a person.

McLaggen saw Ginny and made a beeline for her.

“Granger not here?” he asked.

Luna and Ginny shook their heads no.

“Well do you know where she might be? Sluggy is having a party and I wanted her to go with me,” he muttered.

“You do know she is dating my brother, right?” Ginny asked.

McLaggen shrugged. “Not much he can do about me being here and him not,” McLaggen said cheekily.

Ginny glared. “I’m warning you. Cursing a broom really is easy,” she threatened.

“Calm down, ginger,” McLaggen said before walking off, muttering about overly emotional women.

Hermione poked her head up after a few moments, and Ginny assured her that it was now a McLaggen free zone. Poor Hermione. She’d been dodging the stupid prat at every turn, and he just wouldn’t give up. Ginny swore he had all the sense of a troll, with height to match. And the smell when we was done with Quidditch practice.

“So,” Hermione began as she pulled books out of her bag. “We need to talk study schedule. I’m doing a lot of it, but I want to make sure you two are on top of it.”

“Luna’s in bloody Ravenclaw. Of course she studies. I study daily with Draco, as we take most of the same classes. It’s nice to have a completely silent room to work in, so thanks for that ‘Mione,” Ginny said.

Hermione looked pleased. “Good! Have you done…”

And the three women went back to homework for their various classes, and didn’t stop until the lunch bell rang.

Author notes: Please leave a comment if you liked this chapter! It fuels me to keep writing!

Leave a Review