Disclaimer: I don't own any of it. the song is "Good Night Sweet Girl" by Ghost of the Robot and the rest is JKR's. blah, blah, blah, you've heard it all before.

~~~~~

Good Night, Sweet Girl

~~~~~

"Are we done for now
Or is this for good
Will there be something in
Time? With us there should."


Draco Malfoy stared out the window of the Slytherin common room as rain poured down the glass. He let out a long sigh, thinking about the woman he loved. Ginny Weasley. They’d been dating for nearly a year, but he’d loved her since long before then. That he was sure of. What he didn't know was how she felt about him. Lately, she’d been slightly cold and distant. And finally, just an hour earlier, she told him she wanted to see other people. It broke his heart, and what hurt the worst was that he didn’t even know why she did it.

"Are you coming to dinner?" Goyle asked Draco, confused at his friend's sad expression.

"I'll be right down," he replied. He didn't want to go down to dinner, where he would see her red hair lighting up the hall like a warm fire. He didn't want to see her captivating smile or her gorgeous cinnamon eyes, which would no longer be looking at him in the loving way that he’d come to cherish. And he most definitely did not want to see her flirting with other guys. With another sigh, he headed towards the Great Hall. He couldn’t let anyone find out that he was so depressed over a girl. The whole of Slytherin would completely disown him.

"Only girl for me is you
There can be no other one
If I didn't have faith
I would come undone."


Yep. He was right. Being somewhere where he could see Ginny was pure torture. He knew there could never be anyone to take her place, anyone else he could love. He was afraid; afraid that she would never come back to him. It was the hope and the dreams that even kept him sane. Well, sort of.

He tuned out all of the other voices near him. If he focused hard on the Gryffindor table, he could almost hear her laugh. He loved her laugh. It was contagious, always making him feel happy again, regardless of his rotten moods.
"Huh?" he said as he realized some Slytherin girl was staring at him, apparently waiting for the answer to a question.

"Do you want to go to Hogsmeade with me this weekend? It's our last trip before we graduate, and I've always wanted to get to know you." she said with a seductive smile.

"No thanks," he replied vaguely as he went back to staring at Ginny.

She got up, looking hurt at his abrupt rejection.

He didn't care.

"So much promise in your eyes
Seems that I can only see
It always makes me wonder
If you save it all for me."


He lay in bed that night, remembering. She’d always been completely loyal to him. He had never had any reason to think otherwise. But now that he thought about it, he realized she had always been slightly reserved. Almost as though she had to restrain herself from loving him because he was ‘bad.’ He hated that she felt that way, but he also didn't want to think what she was doing now that she was free from their relationship.

He groaned and rolled over. It was going to be a long night.

"Maybe you do
Maybe you don't
Maybe you should...
Probably won't"


The next morning was torture. She was obviously flirting with the other boys at her table. He just prayed that it was a phase, that she was just doing it to get it out of her system, but there was no way to be sure. The pain of seeing her with other guys was tearing him up. He saw her leave with a guy from her year, and they were both smiling and had flushed cheeks. It was all he could do just to keep himself from storming out and giving him a good punch right in the stomach.

He left anyway. He just wasn't hungry anymore.

"There will be other guys
Who will whisper in your ear
Say they'll take away your sadness
And your fears."


He sat in his dorm room, writing. This whole obsession was really getting very bad. He'd skipped two Quidditch practices in the past three days; he hadn't even laughed or smirked once when Snape docked a total of fifty points from Gryffindor in Potions earlier. All he could think about was Ginny.

'If that guy is hurting her, I'll kick his sorry arse.' he thought, more out of jealousy and protection than anger. He missed having someone to care for; to worry about. Not that he'd really stopped now that they were through. He would still die for her. And it killed him that she didn't feel the same way.

"They may be kind and true
They may be good for you
But they'll never care for you
More than I do."


He was finally out on the Quidditch field for a mandatory match, scanning the sky for the Snitch. As he caught a glimpse of gold, he dived towards it. He caught it nonchalantly, and looked up at Potter's face of disgust and anger. And then he simply left the field, without gloating, for the first time in his life. His heart just wasn't in the game. It was in the stands, with a fiery redhead he was losing more and more each day.

He was angry with himself for letting this happen, for never telling her how he felt. He cursed at himself for being a coward, wondering if they would still be together if she knew how much he cared about her.

Later that day, he stared out the window and glared at the sun, which should not have been shining when he was in such a foul and gloomy mood. He started thinking about that guy she had been with; he couldn't get him out of his head. He was afraid that the Gryffindor was leading her on, just looking for one thing. The thought made him burn with anger, making him feel like killing something. 'Oh Merlin,' he thought, 'I swore to myself nearly two years ago that I would NEVER have the urge to hurt something just for the hell of it. And now one thought of some random bloke literally makes me see red.' He just wished she could understand that the other guy wasn’t good enough; that noone could love her the same way he did.

"I'll be always there
There to the end
I can't do much
But be your one true friend."


He let our a growl, mad at himself for just now realizing that finals were in two days. And he hadn't picked up a book yet. His homework hadn’t been done for a month, and he hadn't paid attention in class for the whole year. She was always on his thoughts. And now he was screwed. The thing that scared him most was that he didn't even care.

He knew his father would beat him for his low grades, and the Dark Lord would be angry with him for not paying attention to spells that could be of use. Not that that really mattered. It was two years ago, the second he realized he was in love with Ginny, that he would never become a Death Eater. Just for her. But now he was seriously reconsidering. There was nothing to stay for. He could just go and get himself tortured or killed and it wouldn't make a difference. It's not like anyone would miss him. As much as he tried, she wouldn’t even speak to him anymore.

"To the end
Through the end
Our lives to spend
With each other till the end
Of time."


Finals were finished. He’d be graduating in a week. This was his last chance; he had to tell her how he felt. It would seem strange to her that she was getting a love declaration from someone she thought was out of her life two months ago, but he had to try. He had to tell Ginny. If she wouldn't accept it, that would be it. He'd just give up and become a miserable Death Eater like his father.

"Still see the promise in your eyes
And still wonder if it's for me
But I know it's still there
Even when you sleep"


He sent the poem the day before school let out. It was his last hope. If she wouldn't take him back, Voldemort could just kill him. It wouldn't matter. He'd be dead inside anyway.

Ginny sat on her bed that night, reading. It was completely dark, and she was watching the page by wand light. It was extremely peaceful and quiet with all her roommates asleep.

Her eyes widened as she realized what she was seeing.

She searched for him the next day as the train began loading for the ride to King's Cross. Pushing through the crowd, she finally spotted him. There were tears on her face as she hugged him like she would never let go. And it was enough. Draco knew.

He’d finally said what she’d been waiting for all this time. The last line of his letter echoed through her mind as they boarded the train together.

"So I say, good night sweet girl"
The End.
smokeline is the author of 10 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Good Night Sweet Girl also liked 1065 other stories.
Leave a Review