**DISCLAIMER: I do not own Harry Potter or anything that has to do with Harry Potter, *sighs* no matter how much I wish I do**


It's down to this
I've got to make this life make sense
Can anyone tell what I've done
I miss life
I miss the colours of the world
Can anyone tell where I am

'Cause now again I've found myself
So far down, away from the sun
That shines into the darkest place
I'm so far down, away from the sun again
Away from the sun again

I'm over this
I'm tired of living in the dark
Can anyone see me down here
The feeling's gone
There's nothing left to lift me up
Back into the world I know

"Away From the Sun"
By: 3 Doors Down



Prologue
–Away From the Sun–


It was a dark night. The stone walls and the floor were as cold as ice. The wind howled like a banshee’s death cry and the moon was full and bright. Unbeknownst to the wizarding world, Dark Marks burned in Death Eaters’ skin. They were being summoned.

They all Apparated to the hidden location. When the last Death Eater had arrived, they all turned to see their Master with a black robe covering all of his body. He was standing on a risen platform, in front of the Death Eaters, with his back turned towards them.

Finally, one of the Death Eaters worked up enough courage to contact the furious Dark Lord.

"Master?" one of them asked.

"He has betrayed us!" the cloaked figured roared loudly; his voice was cold and sharp. A few Death Eaters were caught off guard and murmurs went through the crowd. Who had betrayed them? Who had turned on their Master?

"Master, who has betrayed us?" asked yet another one, voicing the question that was on everyone’s mind.

Lord Voldemort unveiled himself. His eyes were tiny red slits and they were glowing in malice, hatred, and betrayal. His face was etched with anger and his hands were at his side, clamped in fists of rage.

"Draco Malfoy."

~*~

"Ow! Potter watch where you’re going!" the blonde-headed man sneered.

"Well, Malfoy, if it wasn’t so damned dark out here and I wasn’t trying to save your arse, I could see where I was going!" Harry said through gritted teeth.

The two men walked side by side in the forest, stepping on twigs and leaves and trying to avoid tree branches. They were under Harry’s invisibility cloak so no one, especially Death Eaters, would see them.

Harry and Draco soon reached a large tree trunk in the middle of a wide, open space. "Which way now? Please don’t tell me we’re lost Potter, because if we are. . ." he was cut off by Harry’s hand covering his mouth.

"We’re here.”

They walked over to the tree trunk and Harry drew out his wand. He tapped the top of the truck three times and stood back. Suddenly, the tree trunk rose to the skies. Draco watched in awe and Harry just smiled knowingly. When the tree finally stopped growing, a door appeared and opened before them.

Harry pointed his arm toward the open door. "Ladies, children, and pompous blondes first."

It took all of Draco’s willpower to not punch Potter straight in his little, amused face. He kept telling himself that he was on Potter’s side now.

Draco went inside the door, followed by Harry. The door closed behind them, shaking Draco’s nerves a bit.

They waited a few moments and the small room they were in started to drop slowly. Draco had no idea what was going on and was too tired to ask questions. Harry, though, seemed to think nothing of it. He kept his head toward the closed door and never looked in Draco’s direction.

The room stopped its downward motion and once again the door opened. This time, however, there were people on the other side. Tons of them. There were beds with wounded wizards in them and medi-witches tending to them.

"Follow me," Harry said as he began to walk through the busy room. Suddenly, he stopped and turned to Draco. "Stay close, it’s crowded in here."

"I’m not five, Potter. I’m sure I can handle myself, thanks," Draco sneered trying so hard to restrain himself.

"Have it your way, Malfoy," Harry sighed. He began to walk again.

Draco followed, walking through the crowd. They came to a dimly lit hallway with a door at the end of it. The walls were made of stone and nothing but torchlight lit their way. When they approached the door, Harry warned Draco to stay back.

Harry whispered the password and the door opened. Then he signalled Draco to come forward.

"Still can’t trust me, eh, Potter?" Draco asked dryly.

Harry chose not to retaliate. He shook his head and walked through the open door way. Draco followed him. They walked into what looked like the middle of a discussion. Dumbledore was there, of course, but Draco realised that four other people were sitting with him as well. Draco recognized the Mudblood right away and also his most hated enemy, the youngest male Weasley. He didn’t know who the other two people were. He was sure he had seen them before. The room was dark, but Draco could still see their red hair. Weasleys he thought.

"Ah, Harry, you’ve brought Mister Malfoy." Harry nodded. "Good," Dumbledore continued, summoning two more chairs. "Please sit." Draco and Harry did what they were told.

"We are all very pleased that you have decided to help us, Mister Malfoy, but you realize that this has put you in a most dangerous position."

Draco nodded. Dumbledore continued, "This is why we have called you here. If you have noticed, this is our safe house. It is a hospital for those wounded during battles or attacks. It is also where we bring wizards and witches whom we have reason to believe are planned to be attacked by Lord Voldemort. This is why you are here, Mister Malfoy. We want to protect you from Voldemort."

Draco looked at the old man, who he still thought was slightly insane. Breaking the silence he asked, "How, Sir?"

"That is what Miss Granger, the Weasleys, and I were discussing. Tell me, Mister Malfoy, how would you feel about going away and hiding for a while?" Dumbledore asked without changing his facial expression.

He has to be kidding, Draco thought. He looked Dumbledore in the eye and saw no signs of amusement.

Bloody hell! He’s serious!

Draco gulped and thought about it. "Where and for how long?" he asked, though, he didn’t really want to go. It would show signs of weakness if he ran away in the face of danger. Malfoys didn’t run away from their fears. Draco wanted to stay and help fight on the front lines with Potter. Still, he didn’t want to anger anyone, so he humoured the old man.

The Headmaster’s eyes twinkled. The Weasleys, however, didn’t look pleased at all. “In the United States and for as long and we need to fight off Voldemort,” Dumbledore told him.

Draco was still trying to take this all in. He didn’t want to go and he hoped didn’t have to. "Headmaster, with all due respect, I would much rather stay here and help fight. I could be useful to you if you need me."

Dumbledore shook his head. "No. You have too many people wanting to hurt you, Draco. People such as Lord Voldemort, many of the Death Eaters, and of course your father..." he was interrupted.

"Ah, yes, of course. Lucius. He must be really pissed off at me for displeasing his Master," Draco stated dryly, which earned him glances from Weasley, Granger, and Potter. He ignored them like always.

"Indeed," said a voice from behind them. Everyone turned around to see Severus Snape enter the room. "But your father is usually always pissed off at someone, don’t you agree?"

Draco heard Weasley and Potter snickering. Snape ignored them and continued. "Please, Mister Malfoy. I agree with the Headmaster’s decision. You must go until the heat dies down. Then, I promise you, you can come and fight."

Draco stared at the man. He was his Head of House and favourite teacher for seven years. Severus Snape was the closest thing Draco had to a father his entire life. Lucius never acted as he really cared for Draco and always treated him like a pawn for the Dark Lord to use.

Draco trusted Snape and his decision; Snape had once been a loyal Death Eater and switched over. Snape was the only one in that room with whom Draco could relate too.

"And if I don’t want to?" Draco asked, showing his stubborn side.

"Then we will be forced to make you," Dumbledore said eyeing Snape and Harry.

"I’ll go," Draco agreed begrudgingly. He was befuddled to see the anger in all three Weasleys’ eyes.

Why are they so mad? I thought they would be happy to get rid of me.

"Then it is settled. You will live as a Muggle in the America," Dumbledore told him. Draco winced at the thought.

"But, Sir, how will I know how to get around and survive as a Muggle? Can’t I just hide there as a wizard?" he asked, silently praying Dumbledore would agree to his wishes.

"Voldemort will be looking for you now. One of the ways he can catch you is if he tries to track your magic. No magic will be used. Is that clear?" Dumbledore looked at the boy sternly.

Draco nodded.

"And as for your survival as a Muggle, there will be a witch there to help you. She has lived there for a while and will watch over you for the time being."

She? Maybe this won’t be so bad after all…

"Who will it be then?" Draco asked, not able to keep the depression and annoyance out of his voice. The Weasleys were still across the room, glaring daggers at him. They could be scary when they wanted to be.

Dumbledore smiled and Draco held his breath.

"Ginny Weasley."

~*~

Author Note: The safe house talked about is separate from the Order of the Phoenix Headquarters; it's more like an underground hospital.

There is a reason Draco betrayed Voldemort and joined the Order, but it won't be revealed until later chapters

I hope you enjoyed this part of "Hidden". It's my first attempt at fanfiction.
Leave a Review