Ginny awoke the next morning, groggy and tired from her lack of sleep. She groaned as she saw the bright sun streaming through the window, and then she rolled over, stuffed her head in the pillow and went back to sleep.

After sleeping though breakfast, Ginny woke up and got ready for classes. Time for another week of torture, she figured. Classes weren’t really that bad, but all her professors were stressing the importance of preparing for OWLS. Ginny didn’t know how they were supposed to concentrate on studying for tests that weren’t going to happen until the end of the school year when Voldemort was back.

She wandered slowly down the hallway, looking out for Harry—she really wanted to talk to him. She knew she couldn’t just keep being his girlfriend if he was not going to do anything. As she was looking for Harry, she saw Draco sweeping down the hallway. She caught his eye and smiled, but he just stared at her, his face expressionless. Ginny was confused—did the previous evening of talking mean nothing to him? He could have at least acknowledged her in some way. So much for being friends with him—she thought as she turned the corner towards her first class of the day.

Draco watched the redhead retreat down the corridor. He felt a little remorse at shunning her, especially after he had seen the hurt expression on her face—but he was doing what he had to do. Their little talk last night had been completely inappropriate. He was a Malfoy, she was a Weasley. He had a reputation to uphold, she had… Well… She had Muggles to love… Or something like that. Who cared if they have similar problems—it wasn’t his responsibility to deal with her life. He tried to justify his motives, but his mind kept going back to the happy smile on her face last night as they had talked for hours. She seemed completely at ease with him. And he—well, he thought she was pretty nice… And attractive… Why did she have to be a Weasley though? It would work out so much better if she were a Slytherin. Damn sorting hat. Maybe he could just meet her in the middle of the night more often. That’s still putting your reputation at risk, he reminded himself.

Draco realized that he was still standing in the hallway, watching the corner where Ginny Weasley disappeared a good five minutes ago. Draco shook his head. He had to pull himself together. It wouldn’t do for him to fall for that Weasley girl. He turned and left for his first class, trying to clear the jumbled thoughts from his head, but failing miserably.

On a Monday I am waiting
Tuesday I am fading
And by Wednesday I can’t sleep


Several days later at lunch, Ginny sat with her back to the Slytherin table, avoiding Draco. If he wanted to pretend they hadn’t talked for half the night, that was fine with her. He had been avoiding her all week, so she was now choosing to return the favor. She wasn’t going to waste her time trying to be friends with people who clearly could not get past her last name. She couldn’t help it that she was a Weasley—she rather enjoyed being a Weasley. Figures that the one person she enjoyed talking to was from the one family that hated Weasleys the most. Ginny stared blankly across the table, pretending to be interested in whatever Harry was talking about. Something about Quidditch practice… Or try-outs… It didn’t really matter—it wasn’t interesting anyway. Halfway through lunch, Harry had given up on talking to her, and he had gone into a huddle with Ron and Hermione, and they were eagerly discussing something with hushed secrecy.

She tried to get Harry’s attention, but he continued to ignore of all her actions. Ginny rolled her eyes at the Golden Trio—it really wasn’t worth it to even try to talk to Harry anymore, because even if she had, he would have just left her for those two anyway. With no remorse whatsoever, she rose abruptly and swiftly walked out of the Great Hall. She didn’t really know where she was headed, but she knew she didn’t want to spend more time around Harry right now. He might as well just leave her alone from now on—he was not worth her time. She thought for a moment more, about her potential newfound freedom—she was single again, but then, no one else liked her. She wondered what it would be like to not be attached to Harry Potter’s name, or her brothers. Desperately wishing that she could have her own identity without being alone, she tried to figure out where she was going. Her next class was Potions—maybe she would just go sit in the corridors of the dungeons. It’s not like anyone would find her there.

Draco watched as Ginny left the Great Hall in a huff. He tried not to care where she was going, but he knew he did. Finishing his lunch quickly, he left Crabbe and Goyle and strode out of the Great Hall. She was already gone, but he heard the sound of hurried footsteps heading down into the dungeons. Why is she going there? He wondered. He looked around, making sure no one was watching him, and then he descended into the dungeons.

As he reached the bottom of the stairs, he saw her turn into a classroom that was generally empty. Cautiously, he looked around for students—but after finding none he quickly headed over to the classroom and went in. He saw her sitting in the corner, her head dropped between her knees. He wondered why she hadn’t noticed his arrival—it’s not like he had tried to be quiet. He listened for a moment, and he could hear a faint sound of sniffing—she was crying. Why the hell is she crying, he wondered. She has that bloody Potter, and all her happy Gryffindor friends. But then—Potter always ignored her… Maybe that was the problem. She was a nice girl—she deserved better than Potter. Of course, Potter was such a celebrity that most thought there was nothing better than Potter. He rolled his eyes at the ignorance of the wizarding world. He quickly locked the classroom door so no one from outside would discover him here, and he walked over to the crying Weasley.

He thought warily about what he was contemplating doing—his father would forever shun him; but then, Draco did not want to follow in the footsteps of his father. It was time for him to build his own identity, separate from typical Malfoy behavior and the expectations of his father. Exhilarated, he stepped over to where Ginny was crying on the floor. She needed someone right now, she needed something that Potter was not willing to give her. Draco knew there was something wrong with her—she was lonely, she needed love and attention. She needed someone who could be there for her. He knew that Potter was none of those things, but Draco could be that for her, if he wanted to. It was time for him to break free of his father’s mold—he could still be Draco Malfoy, King of Slytherin, but perhaps he could now have a true friend; the kind he could talk to all night without being bored. The kind that cared about him.

Then the phone rings I hear you
And the darkness is a clear view
Cause you’ve come to rescue me


Ginny looked up questioningly as a robed figure stopped in front of her. She looked up, and much to her surprise, concerned grey eyes were staring down at her. He reached out a hand to help her up, and she willingly grabbed it and pulled herself up, falling against his chest. He smelt so good, she could just stay here all day and cry against him, but she knew that he probably had other things to do. Like insult her. She stepped quickly back away from him, knowing that he hadn’t intended for her to fall into his arms. She braced herself, and fearfully looked up at him, waiting for whatever insult he was about to say.

But the sharp words never came. Instead, he just looked at her, as though waiting for an explanation. He seemed to know that she was upset over Potter. All she really wanted was someone to be there for her, which Harry never was. Harry was always there for Hermione, and for Ron… But Ginny? Nope. Never. Draco reached out for her and brushed a stray piece of hair out of her face.

“Ginny, are you okay?” He asked sincerely. Ginny was shocked for a moment—partially at the genuineness of his voice, and partially because he had called her Ginny.

“What do you want!?” She asked angrily. “You want to spend half the night talking, and acting like a normal human, and they you’re just going to go ignore me and treat me like I don’t exist?” He seemed a little taken aback at her sudden outburst.

“I didn’t know you cared,” he said, a smirk curling onto his face. She thought he was the same as Potter—talking to her when it was convenient for him only. He knew better though, he was more than Potter. If he could just get past her surname… Maybe he would try, just for her…

Fall, with you I fall so fast
I can hardly catch my breath
I hope it lasts


Ginny stared in surprise as Draco moved towards her and lifted her chin, his smirk turning into a genuine smile. She was entranced—she had never seen him smile before. It really was quite attractive. She gazed into his grey eyes, dreaming of running her hand through his white-blond hair. Ginny felt her heart thumping wildly in her chest as she allowed him to pull her closer to comfort her. She had never felt this way before with Harry—was this what you were supposed to feel with a guy? She deeply inhaled the scent of his cologne and she felt his warm arms encircling her into a hug. It was much different than the hug she had given him the day they had talked all night. If only she could just be with him. He understood how she was feeling—being overshadowed by everyone else, and forced into living up to familial expectations. She sighed deeply and buried her head into his chest.

Ohhhh
It seems like I can finally
Rest my head on something real
I like the way that feels


Draco looked down at the mass of red hair that had attached itself to him. He had just meant to offer a comforting hug, and there she was, holding on to him as though she would fall apart if he were to leave. He had to admit, he did enjoy the feeling. It was much more intimate than any hug he had experienced. He slowly reached his arms around her and held her tight, rubbing his hand on her back to comfort her. She was so small… He ran his hand up her back where it collided with a mass of ginger hair. He twirled a strand around his finger as he took in the scent of her shampoo. He felt himself tremble with pleasure as she tightened her grasp again. He allowed his hand to lightly stroke her hair, taking in the soft, silky feeling beneath his fingers.

She loosened her grip and looked up into his eyes. “Draco…” she started, “I’m sorry, I just needed—“

“Shhhh…” he cut her off, “I know.” He knew she just needed someone to be there for her, because Potter never was. He watched as she smiled and cocked her head to the side, surveying him to see if he really was the same fierce Draco Malfoy who had ridiculed her for the past 5 years.

“Thanks,” she whispered, gazing into his eyes.

Ohhhh
It’s as if you know me better
Than I ever knew myself
I love how you can tell
All the pieces, pieces, pieces of me


Draco cautiously pressed his lips to her forehead, wary that she might object—but she didn’t. He felt tingles run down his spine as she reached around his neck and ran her fingers through his hair, pulling his face closer to hers. He could feel her soft breath on his face.

Ginny was nervous at what she was about to do—she had never felt like this before, but Draco had all the same problems. She could relate to him, and she felt at home in his arms. Throwing all fear out the window, she captured his lips into a soft kiss. She felt his lips meld with hers as they held on to each other tightly, not wanting to let go for fear that the passion of the kiss would swallow them up whole.

She smiled as Draco’s fingers ran through her hair, and she felt as though she could finally breathe. She had found someone who knew her—who could put the pieces together and find out what was wrong, so unlike Harry. She snuggled closer to Draco, and lost herself in their embrace, wondering how it took so long for her to realize that all she needed was someone to understand her.

All the pieces, pieces, pieces of me


A/N: Thanks for reading—negative or positive reviews are encouraged. :)
The End.
Ladidah is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked Pieces of Me also liked 550 other stories.
Leave a Review